Sponsored by:

Paddle shift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 11:49 AM
drivemewilder
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Paddle shift?

I think I'm within a month or so from being ready to purchase a C7. When I bought my C6, I was picky about wanting a manual transmission. I have no interest in an automatic. In my limited exploration of the available used C7's, I keep seeing the paddle shift in the description and it seems that it's always listed when the car is listed as an automatic. I'm completely unfamiliar with driving using paddle shifters...can someone shed some light on it for me or direct me to the appropriate link if it's already been discussed as I'm sure it has? Do all C7's have paddle shift? Is it always listed as an automatic? Where is the crash course on how to drive using paddle shifters? Any input is appreciated and I apologize if this has already been beat to death.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Google is your friend.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:01 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

It's really pretty simple and foolproof. Right paddle to upshift and left paddle to downshift. Car will not let you shift if RPMs will be too high or too low. EZPZ.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just Automatics.... you can drive the car in "D" for fully automatic mode and not even think about the paddle shifters..... OR, you can use the paddle shifters ANYTIME while in "D" automatic mode to downshift, or upshift. Lastly, you can put the transmission in "M" for manual, and then you need to use the paddle shifters to up shift and downshift.

Tons of fun, if you wish.

see this YouTube

Last edited by Strake; 03-01-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

So if I purchase an automatic (my teeth grind just typing that thought) I essentially get both auto and manual, with the difference in c6 manual vs c7 manual being paddles on the wheel. I saw a youtube video of a manual transmission (7 speed) and the guy used paddles for revving purposes. I didn't quite understand the purpose.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:37 PM
p3pilot
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by drivemewilder
So if I purchase an automatic (my teeth grind just typing that thought) I essentially get both auto and manual, with the difference in c6 manual vs c7 manual being paddles on the wheel. I saw a youtube video of a manual transmission (7 speed) and the guy used paddles for revving purposes. I didn't quite understand the purpose.
Sounds like you're in the same position I was in when contemplating buying a C7. My previous Corvettes were all manuals and I knew in my heart that I should've gone with the M7. Wound up going with the A8 since it gives you the option to drive in manual. After 700 miles I traded in because the paddle shifters just didn't give me the same experience. I suspect that you will wind up regretting it if you go with the A8. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

don't forget the obvious ..... NO clutch pedal. So, yes you can manually shift up and down if you choose, but don't need to fool with the clutch.

We had 6 or so Manual Vettes in a row, and with the 2016 Stingray, decided to give the A8 a shot. When GM Engineering bought our '16 back (Warble analysis car) we had the choice once again, as we ordered a Grand Sport..... went with the A8 again. NO regrets, but to each their own. Was a very welcomed change. Don't miss the manual at all.

Last edited by Strake; 03-01-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

That's good info....do you use the paddles at all for any reason now that you have the M7? Trying to understand their function.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:55 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

Looks like I need to get some seat time behind each one and determine for myself what I like! Thanks for the input. I welcome more if you guys have more to offer.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The A8 is a "normal" automatic transmission with the ability to shift through the gears via the paddles, much like in the Chevy Tahoe. It is not a true SMG or Dual Clutch automatic found in much more expensive cars which mimics a real manual gearbox. Simply put, in the A8 auto, the engine is not directly connected to the rear wheels, rather it is hydraulically connected. Think of it this way, you have two fans facing each other in a pool of transmission fluid. One is connected to the engine, and the other to the transmission. As the engine turns its fan, it blows transmission fluid onto the fan fixed to the transmission and in turn, transmits the engine power to the transmission. This system causes a loss of power and delay in transmitting the power from the engine to the wheels. It is not a manual, nor does it feel like a manual. The computer will override your commands if it thinks you are doing something wrong and there is a delay from activating the paddle and when the shift occurs.

On the M7 manual transmission, you have the same paddles, but all they are is just an off and on switch for the Rev Matching feature. If you have driven manuals for some time, you may know about "Heel and Toeing" which raises the engine RPM to match the gear you are downshifting to so you don't upset the balance of the car. This was more important when our gearboxes were non syncro boxes or on race car transmissions. If you ever watched the old F1 races back in the 60's, you would hear a blip of the throttle right before a downshift into a turn which was the tell tale between a good driver and a great one. Trust me, it takes years and skill to get it just right. But the Rev Match does this automatically and perfectly without heel and toeing which is a really neat feature.

I understand that about 80% of all current Corvettes sold are automatics. But the A8 is the same design as what they put in Tahoes and Impalas. It is not an instantaneous shift, there is a delay between you applying power and it getting to the rear wheels, the computer will over ride your commands if it decides to, and if you expect it to be the same or better than the feel of a manual, stick with the manual. Needless to say, I ordered my GS with a manual.

Last edited by Gearbox22; 03-01-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Chevette!?!?
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I think I'm within a month or so from being ready to purchase a C7. When I bought my C6, I was picky about wanting a manual transmission. I have no interest in an automatic. In my limited exploration of the available used C7's, I keep seeing the paddle shift in the description and it seems that it's always listed when the car is listed as an automatic. I'm completely unfamiliar with driving using paddle shifters...can someone shed some light on it for me or direct me to the appropriate link if it's already been discussed as I'm sure it has? Do all C7's have paddle shift? Is it always listed as an automatic? Where is the crash course on how to drive using paddle shifters? Any input is appreciated and I apologize if this has already been beat to death.
Don't forget that you also get remote start with an A8! If you own an automatic vehicle with RNDL2L1 Just drop it down into L1 then when you hit 20mph shift to L2, Then at 30 mph shift to D,...........That is very similar to driving with the paddle shifters.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:10 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Just a FYI, the paddles on the M7 turn the rev-matching feature on and off. They do look the same as the A8 paddles but do not serve the same function.

I have an 8 and really like manual shifting. Worth trying out. If you are in D and shift the car will revert to D in a short time. M Shifts differently at different RPMs, so play around a little to see what you like. Also, it will automatically downshift, even in M mode, if you slow up and neglect to shift. Personally, I like to downshift myself for curves but just let the car downshift if I am coming to a stop.

Last edited by JonMN; 03-01-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:14 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Definitely get some seat time in the A8 and test out the paddle shifters. I personally don't like them. Why? Well it lacks neutral. Many times I'll put the shifter into neutral and coast down a long low decline on the freeway. Also the shifting, for me, is not the same experience. Some have reported they hit the paddle and the shift doesn't happen immediately because the tranny says the RPMs aren't exactly right. Have you never driven and auto that say has the up and down "shifts" on the shifter. I had one in an Eclipse. Never used it.

As for the paddle shifters on an M7 - I have an M7 - they activate Active Rev Match. They are simply an on/off switch. With Active Rev Match on the system matches the RPMs to the speed that you are going. Essentially this an is automatic heel/toe thing. I find this works best on winding roads in the mountains. So when, say, you're heading into a turn and downshifting to 2nd at say 40 MPH, the engine will rev the RPMs to whatever 40 MPH is in 2nd as you push the shifter into 2nd. The result is perfect meshing and no engine braking. It's really quite nice. They just figured that since the automatics had the paddles they could repurpose them as Active Rev Match on/off switches.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

All paddle shift means is you can switch the gears in an auto using the paddles on the steering wheel instead of moving the gear shift selector. Don't over think it.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

defaria,

I personally don't like them. Why? Well it lacks neutral. Many times I'll put the shifter into neutral and coast down a long low decline on the freeway.

While what you do is not a recommended driving practice, all automatic transmissions have NEUTRAL. And it can be selected at any time.

Some have reported they hit the paddle and the shift doesn't happen immediately because the tranny says the RPMs aren't exactly right.

Baloney. At mid to high power the shifts are "almost" instantaneous with a paddle hit. And the only time the trans will not shift is if the car is going either too fast for the gear you want or too slow for the gear you want. And that's what you want it to do.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:17 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
defaria,

I personally don't like them. Why? Well it lacks neutral. Many times I'll put the shifter into neutral and coast down a long low decline on the freeway.

While what you do is not a recommended driving practice, all automatic transmissions have NEUTRAL. And it can be selected at any time.
Yeah but you then have to grab the shifter, something you normally aren't doing in an auto with your hands on the paddle shifters. Plus, for a long coast I'd probably do that. But there are many times in the shifting of a manual where you're in neutral between gears, etc. It's just a natural part of the shifting cycle and to me the preferred way to shift. YMMV.

Some have reported they hit the paddle and the shift doesn't happen immediately because the tranny says the RPMs aren't exactly right.

Baloney. At mid to high power the shifts are "almost" instantaneous with a paddle hit. And the only time the trans will not shift is if the car is going either too fast for the gear you want or too slow for the gear you want. And that's what you want it to do.
Look dude - I'm just repeating what others have reported. This is not my direct experience as I don't have an A8. Take up your "baloney" with them!
Old 03-01-2017, 02:28 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

There are some threads going around tips for using the paddles too, there are a lot of computer tricks like blipping the throttle that throws the car into more of a performance mode (haven't tried it yet) and some holding of the paddles on downshifts that will do some rev matching downshifts.

Additionally there is some folks that may guide someone away from an A8 due to potential issues going on with torque converters and/or rear diff's with warble (search for warble) that haven't been solved yet. Could be a warranty issue at some point and might be related to the V4 mode.

My feeling, you'll be very happy either way you go :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle shift?

Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

My fiance, at 4-8" could not push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. So, we have an automatic. I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, the car doesn't have a clutch, but the shifts are fast, snappy, and very precise. We do enjoy driving our car in M about half the time we are out touring.

You will love either option!
Old 03-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Look dude - I'm just repeating what others have reported. This is not my direct experience as I don't have an A8. Take up your "baloney" with them!
I do have one and what you reported is baloney. Maybe you should report what you actually know instead of your interpretation of what someone else said.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:54 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I do have one and what you reported is baloney. Maybe you should report what you actually know instead of your interpretation of what someone else said.
Exactly what part of Some have reported, which is what I said, are you having difficulty understanding? I did not report it! Others have reported it and I clearly indicated this was not my direct experience. And it's not my interpretation of what other people have said - it's what they've said directly! And regardless of what you think, I believe that reporting the experience that others have had is valuable. If nothing else the OP can use that information to search for what others have reported and thus has value. If you don't value that then simply ignore it. It's that simple.

I'm not exactly sure why you seem hell bent to tell me to shut up but I am 100% positive that I will not.

Quick Reply: Paddle shift?