Sponsored by:

Runflat vs non-runflat tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:51 PM
zta0796
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Runflat vs non-runflat tires

I was recently looking at tirerack and noticed that they have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in both zp(zero pressure/runflat) or non-zp.

The non-runflats are obviously cheaper. But aside from that, has anyone driven on both?

I have a 2017 C7 Z51 and was wondering how the tire chatter on very slow turns or the general road noise differs between the two.

Thanks!

Popular Reply

03-04-2017, 10:15 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I guess it's time to trot this out again.

This is after it had been driven more than 30 miles.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:54 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I doubt there will be much difference as they are both all seasons with similar tread patterns and rubber compound. The ZP will have a much stiffer sidewall and thus will ride a bit firmer.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Agreed.

I have the non-runflat AS3+ as well as a set of the OEM PSS runflat. While not a perfect comparison, the non-runflat is a softer ride.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Agreed.

I have the non-runflat AS3+ as well as a set of the OEM PSS runflat. While not a perfect comparison, the non-runflat is a softer ride.
Which tire gives the softest ride with zero air pressure, on a rainy night with poor visibility, while on a busy Interstate.
The following 5 users liked this post by JoesC5:
Corgidog1 (03-03-2017), Jeffer (03-05-2017), John Micheal Henry (03-03-2017), L8ter (03-02-2017), obxchartercaptain (03-04-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

I try to drive my corvette as much as possible when the weather is nice. My wife is ill, but she is always with me and if I were to have a flat I want to be able to drive the car home. So this week I ordered 4 new A/S3+ ZP (run flats).
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (01-21-2019)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I had a set on non RF's on my C6. They rode great, and were much quieter than the RF's. But even with a plug kit, and compressor in the car I just couldn't get that nagging worry about a flat out of my head. I won't go that route with the C7.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
I had a set on non RF's on my C6. They rode great, and were much quieter than the RF's. But even with a plug kit, and compressor in the car I just couldn't get that nagging worry about a flat out of my head. I won't go that route with the C7.
Three most recent flat tires, while away from home, on the highway.

1978, spare tire in the trunk.

1995, spare tire in the trunk.

2015, spare tire in the trunk.

None of those were in a Corvette.

I drive my Z06 on long road trips, and I would never give up the safety of having run flat tires. Not even for a softer ride. BTW, my old and tired 74 year old body seems to handle the "rough" ride of my Z06, even with those "terrible hard riding run flat tires". LOL.

Even though I haven't had that many flat tires, I could have one tomorrow, and the day after, etc.

Kinda' like my life insurance policies. I've only died twice in the past 74 years, but tomorrow, or the next day, I might die and not be zapped back to life, and my sisters will collect my life insurance.

I look at the run flat tires as sort of an insurance policy(life, home, auto). You hope you never need it, but it sure helps when you do need it.

If I ever get to the point where the enjoyment of my Z06 is determined by how soft a ride my tires have(run flats vs non run flats), I'll sell my three Corvettes and only drive my plush ride Mercedes(with a spare tire in the trunk). I sure will be in terrible shape then.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-02-2017 at 04:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JoesC5:
Duntov7 (03-03-2017), John Micheal Henry (03-03-2017), vdavenp802 (01-21-2019), walker3 (10-22-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:58 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Run Flat is a legal fudge allowing manufacturers to sell cars without spare tires. In the real world, the performance of a ZP (run-flat) vs non ZP tire of the same construction is negligible.

In a pure puncture scenario (e.g. a nail in the tread) the non-ZP will get you home, and in a catastrophic sidewall failure (a pothole or curb collision) the ZP isn't going to help you.

ZPs tend to be heavier, more expensive, and ride harsher.

ZPs are fine for your Toyota, but on a performance car, they are pretty irrelevant.

Spend $80 for a compressor.
The following 4 users liked this post by jcp911s:
jimmie jam (01-19-2019), kevpull (03-03-2017), ptran00 (02-17-2019), Rebel Yell (03-03-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 05:07 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'm running the Non-Run Flat A/S 3+ on my '15 Z51 (almost 20K miles to date) and I'm quite pleased with the ride and tread wear. I have no reason not to expect 45+K miles out of them. Yes, they do ride just a little bit softer/quieter than the OEM's.

Do I worry about picking up a nail....not really, BUT I am prepared with a very good air pump, two bottles of slime and a plug kit. I also look back on my 50+ years of driving and just how many times I have been along side of the road with a flat. In the last 20 years, only once, and that was in a new C6 GS with less than 2K on the clock. I find 99% of the nails, screws and flat tires in my garage. Careful regular inspections pay off big time.

Also, this is my ACE IN THE HOLE.....this offer is from Michelin for Corvettes running A/S 3+ NON ZP Tires;

3-Year Flat Tire Changing Assistance

A qualified service professional will change your flat and install your spare tire or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 150 miles for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada.

FWIW, I just put the same A/S 3+ tires on my Chrysler 300S yesterday...right at $1K out the door at Costco (245-45 x 20).
ptran00 (01-19-2019)
Old 03-02-2017, 05:51 PM
DeweyIsgod
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I've ridden motorcycles for years - including cross-country trips. So I know a thing or two about being without a spare. I've had 3 flat tires from nails/other. All roadside repairs done within 30 minutes. I have never though run-flat tires are worth it.

$15 12-volt inflator at walmart
$5 sticky string patch kit (replaced every 2 years)
5 minute youtube video on how to use it

Stay away from slime. It makes the next tire change unbearable and can corrode your rims.
The following 2 users liked this post by DeweyIsgod:
Fireeagle (10-20-2017), ptran00 (01-18-2019)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by zta0796
I was recently looking at tirerack and noticed that they have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in both zp(zero pressure/runflat) or non-zp.

The non-runflats are obviously cheaper. But aside from that, has anyone driven on both?

I have a 2017 C7 Z51 and was wondering how the tire chatter on very slow turns or the general road noise differs between the two.

Thanks!
Present Run Flat tires are nothing like they were years ago.
The inner and outer side walls where both thick stiff rubber in order for the tire to Run Flat.
Michelin's in point have a thinner more compliant Outer side wall and a thicker Inner side wall still offering Run Flat capability.
The Outer sidewall being thinner offers a combination of better performance, Ride, and handling.
Non run Flat tires do offer a slightly better ride and and somewhat less noise.
Opinions will vary, but with present day Run Flats the difference is not night and day like it was.
There's Definitely No chatter or scrubbing with A/S tires during slow turns like when parking etc
I have the Older Original Pilot Sport A/S ZP tires in 18-19 for winter Cold weather.
And OEM Z51 19-20 ZP tires for Summer.
There's only a slight edge with the A/S in ride or noise.
I like the OEM Z51 tires, but when they wear out I'll be buying a set of the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP tires and run them year round.
Performance grip with Summer Only tires is better than A/S tires in hot weather.
But again with present day A/S tires, especially Michelin's, they've closed that gap.
And in my experience in hot weather, you need to push the car hard on the street to notice a real difference.
Cold weather below 40 degrees, the A/S is much better.

Everyone has their personal preference/reasons for Run Flat or Non run flat and can't go wrong all things considered.
If safety and continued mobility with an actual Flat Tire, and not a slow leak is your concern, get the Run Flats.

Search real world posts on how far you can actually drive on a Run Flat, way more than the 50 miles recommended by the tire makers.
There's a Forum member that drove 30 miles without a problem on a Run Flat with a big chunk of rubber ripped out of the sidewall.
Just my 2 cents and YMMV
The following 4 users liked this post by Dif:
Duntov7 (03-03-2017), owc6 (03-04-2017), ptran00 (01-19-2019), wlittle49 (01-19-2019)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Run Flat is a legal fudge allowing manufacturers to sell cars without spare tires. In the real world, the performance of a ZP (run-flat) vs non ZP tire of the same construction is negligible.

In a pure puncture scenario (e.g. a nail in the tread) the non-ZP will get you home, and in a catastrophic sidewall failure (a pothole or curb collision) the ZP isn't going to help you.

ZPs are fine for your Toyota, but on a performance car, they are pretty irrelevant.

There was a picture awhile ago on this forum of a C7 with a run flat tire with a section of the sidewall missing which still worked. I'll take the security of a run flat on any car any day.

Besides a compressor one will also need the proper plug and tool plus a lot of guts if in a bad neighbor hood or on the side of a highway with a flat right side tire. Don't forget the flash lite for nights and a charged phone if this causes you to be late oh, and hope you are not wearing good clothes at the time.

Last edited by Corgidog1; 03-03-2017 at 01:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Corgidog1:
owc6 (03-04-2017), tcpartridge (09-25-2020), white90conv (01-19-2019)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:32 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Every time I've had a nail or screw puncture, the air loss has been very slow. Like weeks between topping-off the tire. The only time I've had a massive, rapid leak was when the valve stem failed. I was, fortunately, just two miles from my tire store, and they replaced it quickly. Worse case, I would have had to tow it in.

One can't argue with the benefits of a ZP tire, but in the real world, how necessary is it? I always go with conventional tires when I have a choice.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s

First, if you get a large puncture in the side wall from some sort of large sharp object it doesn't keep the tire from getting you home or even driving another 1000 miles if you manage the tire temperature by stopping to let it cool. The current Michelin run flats only have a stiffened inner side wall and the outer side wall is exactly like that of a non run flat tire.

As for hitting a pot hole or curb hard enough to deflate a run flat tire I suspect you will have bigger worries trying to find a wheel than trying to find a replacement tire. Run Flats and Non Run Flats share a common trait, they both require wheels that will support the bead.

Bill
Old 03-03-2017, 04:00 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Which tire gives the softest ride with zero air pressure, on a rainy night with poor visibility, while on a busy Interstate.
I think a lot of folks forget the purpose of run flats.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Three most recent flat tires, while away from home, on the highway.

1978, spare tire in the trunk.

1995, spare tire in the trunk.

2015, spare tire in the trunk.

None of those were in a Corvette.

I drive my Z06 on long road trips, and I would never give up the safety of having run flat tires. Not even for a softer ride. BTW, my old and tired 74 year old body seems to handle the "rough" ride of my Z06, even with those "terrible hard riding run flat tires". LOL.

Even though I haven't had that many flat tires, I could have one tomorrow, and the day after, etc.

Kinda' like my life insurance policies. I've only died twice in the past 74 years, but tomorrow, or the next day, I might die and not be zapped back to life, and my sisters will collect my life insurance.

I look at the run flat tires as sort of an insurance policy(life, home, auto). You hope you never need it, but it sure helps when you do need it.

If I ever get to the point where the enjoyment of my Z06 is determined by how soft a ride my tires have(run flats vs non run flats), I'll sell my three Corvettes and only drive my plush ride Mercedes(with a spare tire in the trunk). I sure will be in terrible shape then.
I agree Joe. Flats are rare these days, but they can happen. Heck, I hit a piece of metal with my old Mustang two weeks ago and busted a one week old tire beyond repair. Luckily that car has a spare.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 03-03-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I prefer the ZPs, and would have purchased the AS3+ ZP if they had been available in time for this winter. Since the Z51-sized ZPs only became available last November, demand exceeded the supply. I ordered them, but couldn't be assured I could get them until January, so I settled.

While it's a somewhat softer ride, I don't think it's enough to matter all that much. ZPs have progressed dramatically over the last decade, and I'd rather have the extra security.
JFJr (01-19-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Runflat vs non-runflat tires

Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't have run-flats on this

This

Or, this

Two of them don't have spares..... I've had lifted pickups that the spare is useless. I don't lose any sleep.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:05 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

While it's a somewhat softer ride, I don't think it's enough to matter all that much. ZPs have progressed dramatically over the last decade, and I'd rather have the extra security.
And road noise......
Old 03-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Johnp94
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
There was a picture awhile ago on this forum of a C7 with a run flat tire with a section of the sidewall missing which still worked. I'll take the security of a run flat on any car any day.

Besides a compressor one will also need the proper plug and tool plus a lot of guts if in a bad neighbor hood or on the side of a highway with a flat right side tire. Don't forget the flash lite for nights and a charged phone if this causes you to be late oh, and hope you are not wearing good clothes at the time.
And when the plug heats up your 12 volt port and doesn't work anymore have fun trying to fix it. It won't be just a burnt fuse. I work on my Camaro alot I still haven't figured out how to repair it. I see my next option is to purchase an external port and tap into power wire and ground. Runflats on my Camaro for ten years now. Great tires

Quick Reply: Runflat vs non-runflat tires