C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2017 Grand Sport "Tribute" Build will finally be complete!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 04:55 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default My 2017 Grand Sport "Tribute" Build will finally be complete!

Many of you already know that my 2017 Grand Sport purchase was precipitated by an 8-10 inch precipitation event back in June of last year that caused the total loss of my 2014 Stingray, "Dual Velocity." While waiting for my GS to be built, I had several weeks to think through how I would customize my new Corvette. While I have relatively silent on the project so far, it is time to reveal the inspiration for my Grand Sport "Tribute" project which will be complete by next weekend!

For those who may be unfamiliar with the history of the original Corvette Grand Sports, the following is taken from The Simone Foundation Automotive Museum's website:

In early 1962 Corvette chief Zora Arkus-Duntov began in the development of a car known inside the division simply as the “Lightweight.” The objective was overall victory at FIA endurance races, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The project had the approval of Chevrolet head Bunkie Knudson, but due to the ban on all racing activities by the corporate leaders at GM, the plan was a tightly-held secret.

Five Grand Sports were built. The cars were designed to be as light and as powerful as possible. The chassis, bodies, and virtually all other components were specially designed and handmade by the team of engineers – even small items like hood and door hinges were hand-fabricated out of aluminum. With this extensive use of aluminum, combined with a lightweight tube frames, fabricated suspension, and special ultra-thin fiberglass bodies, the Grand Sports weighed under 2000 pounds – 1100 pounds less than production Corvettes.

In 1963, Grand Sports 003 and 004 were extensively raced, undergoing continuous development over the season. At the end of the year, all five cars underwent engine, drive-train, and body upgrades. Most significantly, the almost stock engines were replaced with full-race aluminum 377 cubic inch engines that produced over 550 horsepower. The upgrades proved themselves at Nassau in December, with Grand Sports 003, 004 and 005 overwhelming the Cobras and Ferraris. Then, as a final step in the Grand Sport’s evolution, the engineers converted 001 and 002 to roadsters for the upcoming 1964 Daytona endurance race. These two roadsters became the lightest-weight and fastest Grand Sports of all.

But in early 1964, higher-ups at General Motors ordered the project canceled, and the cars destroyed. Instead, the engineers quickly transferred 003, 004 and 005 to private racers, and somehow managed to keep the two roadsters hidden at Chevrolet for two more years.

Finally in 1966, the roadsters were sold to Roger Penske. They were repainted (one blue, one white), and converted to 427 power.

The following are a couple of photos of Grand Sport 001.

The final segment of my build will take place next weekend when I fly to Columbus, Ohio, to pick the Grand Sport up and then drive back to Owensboro, Kentucky, to add the last few pieces that Steve Ray is finishing up this week. From there, I'll head to Bowling Green for a day and then back home to SW Oklahoma!

Keep in mind, her name is "Tribute," which means the custom work is a tribute to the 1963 Grand Sport Chassis 001. My goal was not to make a 7th Generation clone of the 1963 version, but to highlight certain elements of that car. Since my 2014 Stingray was Velocity Yellow, the yellow that I selected to use in the project is Velocity Yellow. Using Velocity Yellow in particular is an intentional tribute to my 2014 as well, so "Tribute" represents a dual tribute of sorts. (There will undoubtedly be some who will not care for the color combination, and that is perfectly fine with me. This car is definitely not going to be inconspicuous! )

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the project being completed and am excited about showing her off soon!

ADDING THE FOLLOWING:

I thought I would go ahead and share the major steps from taking my 2017 GS from factory to finished tribute and also share a couple of pics with my friends here on the forum.

But before I do that, I want to give a big shout out to the World's #1 salesman, Mike Furman, who just so happens to be the salesman who I chose to order Tribute from. Mike, thank you for making the whole experience fun and memorable! You're the best of the best!

Wednesday, August 24, and Thursday, August 25, 2016 - I spent these two days enjoying the initial factory build of my GS during the two day buyer's tour.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 - My dad and son joined me at the National Corvette Museum for NCM Delivery. Once we had completed all of the incredible activities that the NCM offers during an NCM Delivery experience, we loaded the GS into my enclosed trailer and headed to Owensboro, Kentucky. I delivered the GS into the highly capable hands of Steve Ray and we discussed my concept and what Steve would be doing for me over the coming months. Steve already had a lot going on that month and we had previously agreed that he would actually start on my project by the end of the month with the goal of being finished with the project by the end of the year.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - As Steve Ray neared completion of his part of my project, he sent a couple of pics of the hood and top, which were smooth finished mirrored glass. A few text messages later, I had asked him what it would cost for him to make the entire car look like that. We agreed on a price and extended the completion date significantly. But in the end, it would be worth the wait.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - An early morning flight to Louisville to pick up a vehicle for one of my customers allowed me the opportunity to stop by Steve Ray's shop in Owensboro on the way back to Oklahoma to see how the project was progressing and to install some of the interior pieces that Steve had completed. The process of removing all of the orange peel on the car and refinishing the paint job was well underway. Most of the exterior body panels were off of the car at this point, having been sanded and re-clear coated to one degree or another. The only body panels that did not come off the car for refinishing were the aperture panels (rocker panels).

Steve sanded every panel to remove the clear coat, then laid three new layers of clear coat on every panel. Steve also cut and buffed every panel to perfection! The result is absolutely stunning as seen in this photo:

Thursday, February 16, through Saturday, February 18, 2017 - This weekend was my scheduled pick up weekend with Steve Ray. Steve and I worked together to over these days to install all of the finished under hood parts, etc., and to make sure everything was as it should be. Steve is as OCD about parts, fitment, finish, etc., as anyone I have ever met, including myself, which is what you want when you're looking for the very best! That said, we were both very frustrated by a couple of aftermarket under hood pieces that were now properly installed but when we put the hood back on the car actually came in contact with the hood itself. This meant removing those two pieces so that Steve could cut them down and repaint the pieces. But Steve was a champ about it all and wanted to make sure everything was just right. On Saturday morning, we gave the GS a good bath and then loaded her into the trailer for her next appointment in Ohio. (Keep in mind, there are no decals or stickers on the car. Everything is painted. In addition, when I left Owensboro with it, it still did not have several final components on it, including: Corsa exhaust, custom wheels, side skirts, front splitter, spoiler winglets, and front and rear badges.)

Monday, February 20, 2017 - It was a 4:30 a.m. wake up call and a two hour drive from Columbus to Cleveland for my early morning appointment at Corsa's headquarters in Berea, Ohio. It took longer to unload and reload the Corvette on and off the trailer than it did for them to remove the factory exhaust and install their double helix x-pipe, extreme exhaust, and black chrome tips. Once I had the GS back in the trailer, I headed back to Columbus for my drop off appointment at Esoteric Fine Auto Finishing. The work Esoteric is doing for me is to wrap the entire car in SunTek, coat the entire car and wheels with Kamikaze coating, and install window tint, new wheels, skirts, splitter, ceramic brake pads, and a couple of other goodies.

The final leg of the journey begins this coming Thursday when I fly to Columbus for my Friday morning delivery! Now that the car is protected by SunTek, I will drive the wheels off, starting with a trip back to Owensboro where Steve and I will install the final few engine bay pieces and rear spoiler winglets. From there, I'll head to Bowling Green for a couple of days and then return home to SW Oklahoma late Monday night!

Esoteric will take a lot of professional grade exterior photos, which I will share here once the entire project is complete. Until then!

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 03-05-2017 at 10:36 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
360Lemans (03-10-2017), Iconic (03-09-2017), John Micheal Henry (03-06-2017), matt3310 (03-06-2017), oldC5 (03-04-2017), r00t61 (03-05-2017), Rebel Yell (03-05-2017), Steve Garrett (03-05-2017), Walt White Coupe (03-05-2017), witch hunt (03-05-2017) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

03-05-2017, 05:05 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

I thought I would go ahead and share the major steps from taking my 2017 GS from factory to finished tribute and also share a couple of pics with my friends here on the forum.

But before I do that, I want to give a big shout out to the World's #1 salesman, Mike Furman, who just so happens to be the salesman who I chose to order Tribute from. Mike, thank you for making the whole experience fun and memorable! You're the best of the best!

Wednesday, August 24, and Thursday, August 25, 2016 - I spent these two days enjoying the initial factory build of my GS during the two day buyer's tour.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 - My dad and son joined me at the National Corvette Museum for NCM Delivery. Once we had completed all of the incredible activities that the NCM offers during an NCM Delivery experience, we loaded the GS into my enclosed trailer and headed to Owensboro, Kentucky. I delivered the GS into the highly capable hands of Steve Ray and we discussed my concept and what Steve would be doing for me over the coming months. Steve already had a lot going on that month and we had previously agreed that he would actually start on my project by the end of the month with the goal of being finished with the project by the end of the year.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - As Steve Ray neared completion of his part of my project, he sent a couple of pics of the hood and top, which were smooth finished mirrored glass. A few text messages later, I had asked him what it would cost for him to make the entire car look like that. We agreed on a price and extended the completion date significantly. But in the end, it would be worth the wait.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - An early morning flight to Louisville to pick up a vehicle for one of my customers allowed me the opportunity to stop by Steve Ray's shop in Owensboro on the way back to Oklahoma to see how the project was progressing and to install some of the interior pieces that Steve had completed. The process of removing all of the orange peel on the car and refinishing the paint job was well underway. Most of the exterior body panels were off of the car at this point, having been sanded and re-clear coated to one degree or another. The only body panels that did not come off the car for refinishing were the aperture panels (rocker panels).

Steve sanded every panel to remove the clear coat, then laid three new layers of clear coat on every panel. Steve also cut and buffed every panel to perfection! The result is absolutely stunning as seen in this photo:

Thursday, February 16, through Saturday, February 18, 2017 - This weekend was my scheduled pick up weekend with Steve Ray. Steve and I worked together to over these days to install all of the finished under hood parts, etc., and to make sure everything was as it should be. Steve is as OCD about parts, fitment, finish, etc., as anyone I have ever met, including myself, which is what you want when you're looking for the very best! That said, we were both very frustrated by a couple of aftermarket under hood pieces that were now properly installed but when we put the hood back on the car actually came in contact with the hood itself. This meant removing those two pieces so that Steve could cut them down and repaint the pieces. But Steve was a champ about it all and wanted to make sure everything was just right. On Saturday morning, we gave the GS a good bath and then loaded her into the trailer for her next appointment in Ohio. (Keep in mind, there are no decals or stickers on the car. Everything is painted. In addition, when I left Owensboro with it, it still did not have several final components on it, including: Corsa exhaust, custom wheels, side skirts, front splitter, spoiler winglets, and front and rear badges.)

Monday, February 20, 2017 - It was a 4:30 a.m. wake up call and a two hour drive from Columbus to Cleveland for my early morning appointment at Corsa's headquarters in Berea, Ohio. It took longer to unload and reload the Corvette on and off the trailer than it did for them to remove the factory exhaust and install their double helix x-pipe, extreme exhaust, and black chrome tips. Once I had the GS back in the trailer, I headed back to Columbus for my drop off appointment at Esoteric Fine Auto Finishing. The work Esoteric is doing for me is to wrap the entire car in SunTek, coat the entire car and wheels with Kamikaze coating, and install window tint, new wheels, skirts, splitter, ceramic brake pads, and a couple of other goodies.

The final leg of the journey begins this coming Thursday when I fly to Columbus for my Friday morning delivery! Now that the car is protected by SunTek, I will drive the wheels off, starting with a trip back to Owensboro where Steve and I will install the final few engine bay pieces and rear spoiler winglets. From there, I'll head to Bowling Green for a couple of days and then return home to SW Oklahoma late Monday night!

Esoteric will take a lot of professional grade exterior photos, which I will share here once the entire project is complete. Until then!

Old 03-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Will be waiting to see Tribute !
The following users liked this post:
jagamajajaran (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Bob Holinski
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Can't wait to see what you have done JAG. I have follwed your loss and new purchase and you have been great to share the highs and lows with the forum.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:04 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Very interesting!
Old 03-04-2017, 08:32 PM
KMS-CO
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The yellow wheels and decals should look good.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:38 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Go for it Jeremy! Unique is what makes the world go round.j
Old 03-04-2017, 08:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Bob Holinski
Can't wait to see what you have done JAG. I have follwed your loss and new purchase and you have been great to share the highs and lows with the forum.
Should be very interesting and I can't wait to see it. Take many pics. Glad it's a special tribute---both cars deserve it: your yellow C7 Stingray, and the '63s.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:55 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Sounds like it will be a great looking Vette.
Waiting to see pics.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:08 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Thanks, friends!

Originally Posted by KMS-CO
The yellow wheels and decals should look good.
Interestingly enough, there won't be any "decals" on "Tribute."

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 03-04-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:17 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Sounds awesome!!! Not even a teaser photo for us???

On edit: I guess I'm going to have to setup a spy post along I-71 as you're driving from Columbus to KY...

Last edited by lakemg; 03-04-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:53 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

lakemg, I'm having a hard time deciding which teaser photo to show.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:54 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,421 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Looking forward to it.
jagamajajaran (03-05-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 11:46 PM
TRS88
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Subscribed, can't wait to see what you have come up with!
Old 03-05-2017, 12:01 AM
itshervette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You must really be excited, Jeremy. Thanks for all that you've shared with us, both the good and bad.
Can't wait to see some pics!
Old 03-05-2017, 12:42 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The aforementioned Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum is pretty awesome, I'd recommend any fan of auto racing history check it out if they're near Philly. I had a chance this past October when I was on vacation and I'm glad I did.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:32 AM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

this should be very cool---hope to see before and after pics, thanks

Last edited by witch hunt; 03-05-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:39 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Jeremy,

I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. I always love seeing folks paying tribute to, and honoring, history. Nice idea!

Last edited by Foosh; 03-05-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My 2017 Grand Sport "Tribute" Build will finally be complete!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:31 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Can't wait!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:56 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
The aforementioned Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum is pretty awesome, I'd recommend any fan of auto racing history check it out if they're near Philly. I had a chance this past October when I was on vacation and I'm glad I did.
Having been there a number of times, it's a must see if in the area. The museum covers a lot of ground.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:24 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
lakemg, I'm having a hard time deciding which teaser photo to show.
Do like the new car guys do: do a dark photo with smoke swirling or some such that only a fender, part of a door and wheel are showing. Or even less!

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
Very true. Went there a couple years ago. Great display in a lonely area of town but worth the trip for sure.

Quick Reply: My 2017 Grand Sport "Tribute" Build will finally be complete!