C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, it's a deal breaker, can Nav be easily added to C7?

Old 03-10-2017, 11:11 AM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
(and Waze though I find Waze childish and it's not quite yet integrated into AA but will be soon) are leaps and bounds ahead of GM factory Nav....
Just got my '17 GS, with nav but like google maps and love waze when on the road. I got google maps on my screen but see no waze app. How do you get waze to display?

Thanks,

Jay B
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Marshall (03-12-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:05 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

You don't! Which is why I said "not quite yet integrated". You wait and when it becomes available you can use it. I've posted many times the Android Auto Google Product group. Subscribe there, post, read, etc. I've become a beta tester for Google Maps. Also, currently my Android Auto has a down arrow on the map button. This is similar to the down arrow on the media button that allows you to select different media apps. So far the maps down arrow only presents Google Maps as an option. Based on that I think we are simply waiting for the Waze app to update and then it will appear in the menu.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:08 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mister Big
Who said I wanted a data-limited phone? That's what's issued to me by my employer.
OK, why would you want an employer issued phone? Don't you have your own?

Yeah, I know you can download in advance but what if you want to re-route your destination while in transit where you have no data service?
When you download a map for offline usage it covers a very wide area. Unless you're going to Death Valley, which would only require about 2 or 3 downloaded maps, you should be OK.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:13 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joemessman
You make some very good points. I actually prefer the AA, but my cell plan is with Project Fi from Google. And when I'm doing a lot of navigation it kicks me up to another Gig of data at $10 more. I guess I shouldn't be so cheap.
Indeed! I'm surprised that Project Fi would be charging your for increased data usage. I have a Sprint plan which has unlimited data. I believe I started using that around 2007. In my mind having access to the internet and not fretting over "will I go over my data limit" is essential, cheap and worth the price. To me, this is not something you should be nickel and diming. IOW if $10 is gonna kill ya you probably shouldn't be driving a vette. Just saying...
Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Seriously.

If it's a 16+ Android Auto / Apple Car Play > Any factory nav.

If it's a 14/15 all you have to do is swap the head unit, AA/CP
Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

OK, why would you want an employer issued phone? Don't you have your own?\
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Guess not...
Old 03-11-2017, 12:48 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
Honestly, if the car has Carplay or Android Auto I find the NAV on my phone much better than the Chevy native NAV.
Originally Posted by Silver C7
When I renewed OnStar,I didn't get the navigation. The app on my phone is just fine.
You guys won't think so if you ever drive in places where cell service isn't available. Like the drive I did a while back in Arkansas. Up into the forests/hills in a place you're likely to become lost is no place to need cell/data service for your nav functionality. The car-based nav has maps stored in the car and only needs the sky to operate.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
You guys won't think so if you ever drive in places where cell service isn't available. Like the drive I did a while back in Arkansas. Up into the forests/hills in a place you're likely to become lost is no place to need cell/data service for your nav functionality. The car-based nav has maps stored in the car and only needs the sky to operate.
Like has been said many times now, at least with AA and GM, you can download maps for areas where you know there'll be no cell service and then use the offline maps.

Additionally, I still have the factory nav and used it to get home after a long hike where my cell phone's battery was totally drained.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:46 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Download maps in area to use offline

Note: You can store your offline areas on your device or an SD card. If you change the way you store your offline areas, you’ll have to download your offline areas again.
  1. On your phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  2. Make sure you're connected to the Internet and signed in to Google Maps.
  3. Search for a place, like San Francisco.
  4. At the bottom, tap the name or address of the place. If you search for a place like a restaurant, tap More .
  5. Select Download .
Delete offline maps:
  1. On your phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  2. In the top left, tap the Menu Offline areas.
  3. Tap the area you want to delete.
  4. Tap Delete.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 AM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 106 Posts

GM factory Nav has always sucked and it is still that way IMHO.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Astrowing
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. The whole point in getting a Vette is to drive the back roads. In Texas, if you are off the interstates or US highways, you may not have cell coverage.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Location: Love the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Milton GA and Jupiter FL
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Hello to All,

I am wondering if any one has used the infotainment HMI module, and had desired OEM results?

Thank You to All,

Kevin
Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Sillyme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great news if it's true. I would say I wish I could have saved money on the Nav when I first bought the car if I knew that AA would be supported. However I must say that there are times when I was out in the sticks hiking and my cell phone battery was pretty much dead. At those times it was good to have the factory Nav there to hit the home button and get home while my phone charged on the drive home.

I just wish we could get AA to do the turn by turn in the Nav. The Android Auto engineers say it's doable but that it's GM who needs to initiate the action. I don't see why GM would need to do this and I have no idea of how to get GM to do it. Anybody have any ideas?

For reference, here's my thread in the Android Auto product group about this.

Support HUD for cars that have that
I Have Android Auto in my 2017 Chevy Colorado pickup I use for my business. It works great! I get Google maps with turn by turn directions on the screen and audio instruction ( that can be turned off if you don't want it)
It is very easy to input the address. I just touch the Mic. button on the screen and just say the address, and away I go.
Much easier than the factory installed system I have on an Infiniti I drive.
Android Auto or Apple Car play are the way to go in my opinion. And it's free!
Kevin Marshall (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Marshall
Hello to All,

I am wondering if any one has used the infotainment HMI module, and had desired OEM results?

Thank You to All,

Kevin
You might try searching the Forum Think that I recall someone put together installation instructions.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Marshall
Hello to All,

Thank You to All,

Kevin
As I said earlier, I did the install and it works as OEM. I followed these instructions:

Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrowing
I agree. The whole point in getting a Vette is to drive the back roads. In Texas, if you are off the interstates or US highways, you may not have cell coverage.
But according to some, all you have to do is preload the areas you know you'll end up lost in from WIFI before heading off on your trip. Because everyone knows:

1) where cell service will exist and not exist

2) they know in advance where they'll become lost

Get notified of new replies

To Help, it's a deal breaker, can Nav be easily added to C7?

Old 03-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Location: Love the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Milton GA and Jupiter FL
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

As I said earlier, I did the install and it works as OEM. I followed these instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zXQvj99Z1Q
Mr Big,

Thank You,

I was just trying to tripple verify.

Thank You Kevin
Old 03-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

The OnStar Send to Car is OK 'cept, typing an address into the OnStar app is not what I'd want to be doing at 50 MPH. You can only send one destination (with AA and GM I can search for several destinations using Google Maps on my desktop then send each of them to my phone as notifications. Then while driving I can simply tap which destination I'm going to - drive there, take care of business and tap the next one).

Also using the OnStar app requires that you use the factory nav. The factory nav data is old to start with, costs about $300 to renew, and you need and OnStar (or perhaps XM - I forget) subscription to have any hope of getting current traffic data. With Google Maps that's free and more accurate and up to date. And the maps are always current too.

Plus you get integration with other Google service and the world class voice recognition, etc.

The factory nav is OK, but AA/GM is far, far superior.
Why would you type the location into an OnStar App. I always hit the button on the mirror and asked them to send the location to my car. That way I actually talked to a person.

Bill
Old 03-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrowing
Happens in UpState NY as well. There are a lot of hills and cellular coverage is spotty once you are off the interstate highways. On top of that a lot of small towns have prohibited cell towers in their jurisdictions.

Unless you are familiar with the areas you don't know where the No Service zones are located. If you are familiar with the areas you don't need a GPS or a map because you know exactly where you are going.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, it's a deal breaker, can Nav be easily added to C7?