Top 10 cars stuck on dealer lots

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
I'm sure it will help but dealers keep ordering these like they think it is 2014 or something. If you look at Cargurus it is suprising how many Corvettes have been sitting on dealer lots for 3 months, 6 months, and some even 9+ months. Yet they keep ordering more. Crazy.
I don't think you understand the GM ordering process. On every other ThursdayGM tells each dealer how many cars and trucks they can order and how many of each model and what is on constraint.

When dealers turn down allocations for any car or truck GM doesn't like that and holds it against them. The ordering system is rigged in GM favor not the dealers.

If GM would have stuck to the original 900 Corvette only dealers in 2013 they wouldn't have this problem today with car sitting on lots. There is a reason why the top 100 Corvette dealers sell 80% of the cars because they know what to order and what sells.

Last edited by Corvette ED; 03-18-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:00 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I don't think you understand the GM ordering process. On every other ThursdayGM tells each dealer how many cars and trucks they can order and how many of each model and what is on constraint.

When dealers turn down allocations for any car or truck GM doesn't like that and holds it against them. The ordering system is rigged in GM favor not the dealers.

If GM would have stuck to the original 900 Corvette only dealers in 2013 they wouldn't have this problem today with car sitting on lots. There is a reason why the top 100 Corvette dealers sell 80% of the cars because they know what to order and what sells.
You mean it's GM's greed that is causing the current backlog of Corvettes? Why.... I'm utterly shocked.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:22 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

They should have kept Pontiac in 2010 and dropped Buick.
Gm Global OWNS the China car market. They sell Chevy, Cadillac and, you guessed it - Buick. They have sold more Buick's annually in China than the US. In May (2016) Buick sold 100,864 vehicles, up a whopping 61% compared with May 2015. Buick is the best-selling General Motors brand in China, followed by Wuling-Baojun, Chevrolet and Cadillac. They make and sell 6 models there that we have never heard of here.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 03-18-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:51 PM
KoolCorvette
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mostly GM cars on that list.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:12 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

The G8 and GTO were nice cars.

If they made the Grand Prix RWD, it could have sold well to the tuner crowd.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:24 PM
MAKC7
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
If BG keeps turning out cars through the summer and sales don't pick up dealers will be giving Corvettes away by July.
Doubt it, but they may delay rollout of the 2018 models.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:50 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I think you are highly overstating the process. Certainly ordering more cars can help future allocations. But dealers are not penalized for not ordering all of their weekly allocation. If they were, only a few dealers would still be in business.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:59 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I think you are highly overstating the process. Certainly ordering more cars can help future allocations. But dealers are not penalized for not ordering all of their weekly allocation. If they were, only a few dealers would still be in business.
Dealers get "x" allocations for a model year. They can't wait half way through the MY to order cars...I believe it's a monthly system "quota". If they don't "order" an "allocation" they loose it AND a future allocation next year. That allocation goes to another dealer willing to order the car immediately. It's quite simple.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Old 03-19-2017, 05:41 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

^^^^^ Concur, I miss my Aztec...
Old 03-19-2017, 05:46 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
I just went through 40 pages of auto trader. Holy crap, good luck finding a stick with your color/option choice. I'd say a major contributing factor to this story.
I know it. Did they just not make as many manuals or is the demand greater than people say it is for a manual car?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:47 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
Gm Global OWNS the China car market. They sell Chevy, Cadillac and, you guessed it - Buick. They have sold more Buick's annually in China than the US. In May (2016) Buick sold 100,864 vehicles, up a whopping 61% compared with May 2015. Buick is the best-selling General Motors brand in China, followed by Wuling-Baojun, Chevrolet and Cadillac. They make and sell 6 models there that we have never heard of here.
Yep, you are THE MAN if you drive a buick in China. They are a prestige item.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by witch hunt
GM knows what they're doing after this long, but I believe all factors mentioned earlier in this thread along with heavy competition from most other mfgs contribute to the slow sales. I also still think if GM wants much higher volume sales of Corvettes, offering an approx 330 to 350HP 6 cyl along with some other downgrades and a base price in the mid $40s would do it WITHOUT cannibalizing much of the existing V8 business.

But isn't rarity at least some of the appeal of driving a Corvette?---I know it is for me
Please no V6 MUSTANG I mean CORVETTE!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
You mean it's GM's greed that is causing the current backlog of Corvettes? Why.... I'm utterly shocked.
It's not "greed" unless you call wanting to sell cars "greed" by itself. And unless you are a civil servant who gets paid by tax dollars, your business is exactly the same, trying to sell as much stuff as you can to maximize your profits and get those bonuses. It's anticipating demand and hoping you are correct. We already know the plant is shutting down for several months starting some time this summer. Nobody will be able to do a factory order during that time. If they want to buy a vette, they'll have to find one on a dealer lot. That means front-loading for the time the factory will be down--potentially four months or more of production.

GM is trying to make this transition as smooth as possible and maintain good prices (and goodwill). Look what would happen of they DID NOT do this. As the supply of vettes went down, prices would go up. We would see a resurgence of "local market adjustment" add-on prices. Now THAT'S greed! but by doing it this way GM hopes to keep monthly sales at a steady level. It's a reasonable business decision; Business 101. That isn't greed; it's keeping the supply channel full without encountering the Osborne Effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
Old 03-20-2017, 12:06 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

267 days of sales in dealer stock is a disaster. This means that almost all the current 2017 production is sitting on a lot somewhere.

40,000 annual sales
110 daily sales (40000/365)
29,260 inventory on lots (267*110)
3,636 monthly production in 11 months (one month downtime) (40000/11)
8 months production sitting on lots (29260/3636)
8 months of production since July, 2016 through Feb, 2017

Last edited by CP; 03-20-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
It's not "greed" unless you call wanting to sell cars "greed" by itself. And unless you are a civil servant who gets paid by tax dollars, your business is exactly the same, trying to sell as much stuff as you can to maximize your profits and get those bonuses. It's anticipating demand and hoping you are correct. We already know the plant is shutting down for several months starting some time this summer. Nobody will be able to do a factory order during that time. If they want to buy a vette, they'll have to find one on a dealer lot. That means front-loading for the time the factory will be down--potentially four months or more of production.

GM is trying to make this transition as smooth as possible and maintain good prices (and goodwill). Look what would happen of they DID NOT do this. As the supply of vettes went down, prices would go up. We would see a resurgence of "local market adjustment" add-on prices. Now THAT'S greed! but by doing it this way GM hopes to keep monthly sales at a steady level. It's a reasonable business decision; Business 101. That isn't greed; it's keeping the supply channel full without encountering the Osborne Effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect
Greed is selfish desire. GM has a selfish desire to make as much money as possible selling cars. That desire has priority over everything else. Meaning, their needs come first. GM does what is best for GM, not the consumer.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

When you look at the age of C7 buyers it appears that there will not be many more Corvettes in their future. It appears that the market has peaked out and the factory only produced 2,278 last month compared to 3332 last year according to Automotive News 3-20-17. GM is having excess car inventory problems because sport utilities are the big seller.

Get notified of new replies

To Top 10 cars stuck on dealer lots

Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

That's a good point. At 67 I'm not sure how many more new Corvettes will be in my future; probably won't be my choice, depending on health. (no issues today, but nothing is certain) GM has tried to appeal to the younger generation with the C7 and they have likely captured their interest, but it's still a $ issue for many and the 'sportscar' is a not a priority for a lot of them nowadays. The SUV's are killing sedan sales from Chevrolet to Cadillac and doesn't seem to be losing momentum. Add the electrics/hybrids to the mix and it's no longer "business as usual" for many manufacturers. As another post stated, many current C7 owners are not looking to trade up to a new model year just yet when there is not a lot of change in appearance and power and their current ride is reliable.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:24 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by OVR60
When you look at the age of C7 buyers it appears that there will not be many more Corvettes in their future. It appears that the market has peaked out and the factory only produced 2,278 last month compared to 3332 last year according to Automotive News 3-20-17. GM is having excess car inventory problems because sport utilities are the big seller.
The C7 has peaked because the model run is 4 years old with no significant changes. And it's a $50K+ sports car. They are still selling quite well but GM and dealers need to stop making more than demand. By doing so they are forced to offer big discounts which kills resale value. So while it's a great thing me to buy, it's a bad time to sell. I would rather they cut back production to meet demand and not offer such big discounts.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM
17Z
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

3,636 monthly production in 11 months (one month downtime) (40000/11)

331 corvettes on average per day figuring a 7 day work week. 8 hour a day shifts would yield over 40 an hour coming off the assembly line. I am sure my calculations are based upon bad assumptions. Maybe somebody can correct my math because this seems like a large number of cars.

Quick Reply: Top 10 cars stuck on dealer lots