C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping noise in interior right rear

Old 05-29-2017, 11:58 AM
carltfulp
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I called and opened a case with GM as the local dealer didn't seem interested in doing so. I'm taking the car back in on June 7th for the 5th try (if I haven't lost count) to fix this issue. I'm going to suggest they check the seat belt as blueDelusions suggested. Funny thing is that the right seat belt was replaced not too long after I got the car as it wasn't working properly.

I've also decided to give another Corvette a try. After talking to a good friend who has owned numerous Corvettes through the years about overall Corvette reliability, I ordered a 2018 Z06/3LZ from Mike Furman at Criswell. I'm hoping it will be trouble free.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:05 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by carltfulp
I ordered a 2018 Z06/3LZ from Mike Furman at Criswell. I'm hoping it will be trouble free.
Nice!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Carqwik
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My 17 GS makes the exact same chirp as in the video...

If it is the seat belt retractor, how does one "tighten" it?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:49 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

My GS has the same sound. Today on a road trip my wife put her hand in the area of the seat belt retractor and the sound stopped. I thought it sounded like it was coming from further back, but guess not. I haven't dug into fixing it yet.

I've also decided to give another Corvette a try. After talking to a good friend who has owned numerous Corvettes through the years about overall Corvette reliability, I ordered a 2018 Z06/3LZ from Mike Furman at Criswell. I'm hoping it will be trouble free.
Congrats on the new Z06 order. What did the friend say to convince you? I am thinking of doing the same thing. Did you stick with the A8 trans on the new one?

Last edited by djnice; 05-30-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 AM
carltfulp
Intermediate

Djnice, my friend just said that he hadn't had any major problems with reliability with the numerous Corvettes he has owned over the years. That combined with how much I like my current car was enough to tip my toward giving a Corvette a second try.

Yes I did stick with the A8 transmission despite its apparent issues. One would hope that the 5th year of production would see most of the major issues dealt with.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:27 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Djnice, my friend just said that he hadn't had any major problems with reliability with the numerous Corvettes he has owned over the years. That combined with how much I like my current car was enough to tip my toward giving a Corvette a second try.

Yes I did stick with the A8 transmission despite its apparent issues. One would hope that the 5th year of production would see most of the major issues dealt with.
Shoulda got an M7, especially with the mgw shifter. Damn i love the feeling of shifting the m7. Nothing like rowing through the gears on a nice winding road. Damn i miss my vette so bad, cant wait till i get back on the road.

Last edited by Liter of cola; 06-02-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:08 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Sad to say I had the same squeaky chirp that was finally resolved. Apparently it's some thing in the roof bolts. Can't remember what they said. But, call my service dept. to find out. Eldorado Chevrolet and speak to Stephen. (800) 688-8996

However, I started getting a squeak on the driver's side now and it's the plastic surround of the seat belt slot. If I put my finger on it, it goes away. I don't know how plastic on cloth/felt/suede causes a squeak or tick, but it's one of those that comes and goes too. I haven't had time to do something. I might just pull it and add some velcro to the plastic clips or something and see if that suppresses the sound.

Last edited by EMINENT 1; 06-02-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Federot
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Federot
Same squeak here, '17 Z06...annoying as hell. I'll check the seat belts tomorrow, but it sounds further back.
Mine turned out to be the cargo net thing that the top tucks under to prevent glare. Not sure what it's called, but the tension of it pulling on the plastic side panels pulled them out of place just enough to produce the squeak.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 PM
carltfulp
Intermediate

Federot,

Thanks. I'll give that a try. That's the first I've heard that suggestion. Maybe you're on to something as I have the net in place as well.

What I do know is that I'll never take it back into the dealer for this problem again. I took it in last week for the 5th time, and had even coordinated with GM to have them assist the dealer, and the dealer couldn't recreate the problem. They called me and I went in and took a ride with the service technician. I didn't hear anything during the ride. I couldn't believe it. Of course not more than a few miles after leaving the dealer I heard the noise again. And this weekend while with my wife in the car she asked how in the world I put up with the noise. I laughed out of frustration.

I'm done with expecting the dealer or GM to fix it. Can't stand the stress of going back to the dealership all the time. I've got a new 2018 Z06 coming at the end of July and I'll just minimize my driving of the 2016 Z51 until then.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Mine turned out to be the cargo net thing that the top tucks under to prevent glare. Not sure what it's called, but the tension of it pulling on the plastic side panels pulled them out of place just enough to produce the squeak.
I have the same noise, and unhooking the plastic shade hooks from the metal 0 rings quieted the noise.
The following users liked this post:
Federot (06-20-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Did anyone find a solution to this yet? The chirp is back in my '17 GS.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Federot
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
Did anyone find a solution to this yet? The chirp is back in my '17 GS.
Mine still chirps occasionally, but that tells me it is definitely the side panels the net attaches to.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Mine still chirps occasionally, but that tells me it is definitely the side panels the net attaches to.
I removed the net and everything else in the hatch and the squeak/rattle is still there. It's driving me nuts. I'm really trying to avoid removing the interior trim pieces to try to find it.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:32 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

My wife's comapny car she once had offered up an annoying, periodic buzzing vibration. At first I ignored it but while vacuuming it out I found a pager wedged between the seat and a door panel
Old 01-25-2018, 06:51 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Resurrecting this thread.

I can put my finger and light pressure anywhere on the driver's side panel by the seat belt retractor and the squeak goes away. How do I stop this?
Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 PM
J Tilgh
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear chirpers, I think I solved or GM confirmed my "tweeter" sound. It was the belt tensioner when switching from V4 to V8. This noise was obviously coming from under the hood. On Jan4 2018 they issued a TSB Doc Number 4291026. Rattle and Flutter Noise When Switching from V4 to V8. Maybe this will help some one looking for a tweeter sound solution
Old 01-25-2018, 11:24 PM
Chadrad
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sabasigh
THIS

Guys, I had the same chirp/squeek/rattle you describe coming from behind the passenger seat. Pulled the side window panel, replaced the felt pads and no more annoying chirp/squeek/rattle. It's been months since the fix and all is well.

Get notified of new replies

To Chirping noise in interior right rear

Old 01-30-2018, 04:17 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chadrad
THIS

Guys, I had the same chirp/squeek/rattle you describe coming from behind the passenger seat. Pulled the side window panel, replaced the felt pads and no more annoying chirp/squeek/rattle. It's been months since the fix and all is well.
Would you mind sharing how to go about removing the panel?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:24 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

just FYI, it took me 6 months to figure out my constant squeaks behind me were coming from the plastic tail lights. If you go back there and just pull back and forth on them, they are a squeaky mess! No idea how to fix... plastic/fiber rubbing on itself
Old 01-31-2018, 12:24 AM
Chadrad
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
Would you mind sharing how to go about removing the panel?
My advice would be to read through the linked thread in the comment that I was replying to. The last page of the thread shows the order in which the panels need to come off. If I remember correctly, there was only one torx bolt that needs to be removed which is holding the chrome ring that the trunk netting hooks on to. There is a little plastic cap that will pop loose exposing the bolt. There is also a plastic piece around the anchor that holds the roof panel in the trunk that will pry off with some sort of plastic trim tool or something similar that will not mar the plastic Other than that, the panels are held in place by a combination of plastic and metal clips. After removing the bolt and ring I would suggest you start by pulling out the rear hatch door seal. This is a good starting place to get your fingers behind and pull (somewhat forcefully with quick short pulls) on the interior panels. Work your way along the panels until all the clips pop free. The plastic panels are very resilient and are not easy to break and I was able to reuse all of the clips. The link will also show where you need to add or replace felt or foam pads around the window. Push panels back on in reverse order and the squeek/rattle should be gone.

I hope this helps and I wish I had prepared a better how-to at the time I did the repair. Good luck!

Last edited by Chadrad; 03-31-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chirping noise in interior right rear