Sponsored by:

How much to fix this

Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 914 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
White is one of the most difficult colors to match. Easy?
White is easy to match.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
blending etc. Will be 2k maybe 2.5k corvette tax. But as long as its done right.
​​​​​​op. Nothing we can do it happens.

lower your deductible. It's ridiculously cheap. Go from 1000 to 200 might be 40 bucks a year. Fyi.
HA HA HA. Not in all states.

I save beucoup money by having a $2000 deductible.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,751 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
HA HA HA. Not in all states.

I save beucoup money by having a $2000 deductible.
how much per year? Call today and ask. You'll be surprised at the answer. If not? Than check other insurance companies then. Both companies I use only up charge me 44 for one 250 (NCM) and 36 for 200 (Geico, on 3 vehicles). I, like yourself, believed the "low deductible" was a high dollar item. And it isn't.

I will never carry a deductible higher than 200 again. As 200 bill is easier to swallow than a 500 or god forbid higher deductible. The insurance companies know most repairs common ones are in that 1000 or little more area and rely on you to not use the coverage Because it's just above the deductible etc. To hell with that. Biggest scam of all time. Auto insurance. Pay pay pay then your rate goes up for actions of someone or something else?

OP. Be weary of a cheaper by far estimate from somewhere.

go to at least 3 places and get a feel for what they'll do at each one. Check with hi line dealers who they use and/or exotics. Should be a point of reference.

a custom shop that does incredible work is not the place to go for your orange peel paint job match. You want a Benz cadillac audi type shop. They know how to blend andatco the finish better. Do it all the time. The painter is familiar with it, the polisher etc. Overpay is another area if concern. Make sure none of that and lines. Panels should be removed amd stripped when painted even blended unless roof/quarters. That's why i say 2k ish. Done right.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 03-21-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by air86
How much would it cost at a body shop to hopefully get that repaired?
Why ask us?

Body shops all give free estimates. Drive in and ask. It'll take ten minutes or less.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:34 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Originally Posted by Davids65
If you claim it on your insurance there will be a car fax report and the value of the car will take a hit! Even if you were to make a police report and don't claim it on your insurance there will be a record and you will loose money down the road!
I have never lost money on cars that have been in an accident when I traded them in. Not even sure dealers bother to look up this info when taking in your trade on another vehicle.Perhaps selling on my own would be a different story but doubt this is always the case.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:49 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

comp vs collision at least with State Farm makes no sense. I hit a beer cooler with one of my GTOs. An 18 wheeler had clearence to drive over the thing and I hit it. It was moving just from the air around it. Considered collision. My dad hit a deer running across the road. Considered comp. Basically a similar scenario, only one object was alive.

If it's a busted fender, whoever fixes it will prolly wanna put a new one on and paint it. I'm gonna guess $750 for the fender and $500 for paint and labor.

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 03-21-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Davids65
If you claim it on your insurance there will be a car fax report and the value of the car will take a hit! Even if you were to make a police report and don't claim it on your insurance there will be a record and you will loose money down the road!
Most insurance companys do report accidents on the own policy holders and can be picked up on car fax reports. Police departments do not .
Old 03-21-2017, 11:18 AM
c7joe
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ67
The damage will most likely be covered under collision, not comprehensive. The damage was caused by something that got very close to the car and very slow. Your picture doesn't show where in the front fender the damage is and that is important to see how many panels need to blended and clear coated. Not a good idea to demand a new fender, that just creates a lot more blending of color to adjacent panels and full clear coat to those panels.

If the fender repair is a 4 hr repair,+ 4 hr worth of paint work, 300 for materials. 8 hr @ 55 per hr = 440+300 = 740 plus tax and incidentals or about 850 total should put you in the ball park. If you have a 1000 ded, do not even report it.
Flying objects is covered under comprehensive coverage.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c7joe
Flying objects is covered under comprehensive coverage.
Correct, but the damage has to appear that way. The damage shown is not from a flying object.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by robert miller
I agree with above guy 750.00 to 1,k no way out of that on these car's this day and time.

Wifey new BMW had a spot 1/4 that size plus her car is white easy to match that color. It cost me 575.00 Robert
All due respect but white is an incredibly difficult color to match. No new paint color white is just that plain. They contain reds, blues, greens, silvers or any other color to any metered amounts of them, so many variables. Real pain in the *** match.

Last edited by JoeD-C8; 03-21-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ67
Collision is collision , any damage appraiser can tell comprehensive damage versus collision. Any time the car makes contact with anything other than a animal or bird its collision. Doesn't matter if the car was parked, doesn't matter if any one was in it or not. Also If any panel including bumper covers are easily repairable, good shops fix rather than replace. The less paint work the better.
The auto policy pays for damage to auto's only 3 ways on there own insureds policy, comprehensive covers everything other than collision and the collision portion of the policy naturally pays for collision damage, separate full glass coverage pays for glass losses.
Not true in NY and NJ. A quick search shows:

Comprehensive Insurance Coverage

Comprehensive coverage will help pay for repairs to your car or replacement of your car after it's been damaged by events that aren't accident-related.
Typically, with comprehensive coverage you'll be covered for damage from the following:
Fire.
Theft.
Vandalism.
Falling (missile) objects.
Hitting or being hit by an animal including deer, cows, bears, moose and birds.
Natural disasters.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:14 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Car Fax report or not. Keep appropriate documentation of what was done as well as photos. When it comes time for resale, because trade in are lots of smoke and mirrors, you now have documentation have its lack of severity and should have no bearing in the resale of your car. Of course this depends on the person purchasing it.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM
T2BLUETWO
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had this very thing happen to me with my C6. Regardless how you chose to use your insurance or not, the MOST important thing is to find a good repair shop.

I had a similar smudge/scratch along with a puncture the size of a nickel and the repair shop did such a great job, I could not find it even when looking from the back side (Mine happened on the flat part of the bumper). A good repair shop can repair and paint this without having to replace the whole bumper. The shop I used cost me $800.

The car fax thing is only really a problem if you trade your corvette in as a dealer will use it against you to drive the price of your trade-in down. If you sell it outright as I did, show em the repair and if done properly they won't be able to even see it and won't affect the price you're asking. Worked for me, they didn't even quibble on my asking price.

T2
Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Chevette!?!?
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default I'm getting EXPEL

Originally Posted by air86

So this just happened. Driving on the highway when a car passes me and either he threw something out the window or something fell off their car. Either way something nailed my front fender. I couldn't determine what it was and thought maybe it bounced off the air dam. I get home and see that. I am beyond pissed right now. First time with the car out really since November. How much would it cost at a body shop to hopefully get that repaired? This thing did some damage whatever it was that hit me. I have comprensive coverage but if the price is less than my deductible I will obviously not file a claim
That settles it,........I don't care what it costs, I'm having EXPEL installed on the front clip of my C7. I swear, when I pass a semi on the freeway their tossing coins or nuts and bolts out the window. And there's no way to prove it!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:38 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoeD-C7
All due respect but white is an incredibly difficult color to match. No new paint color white is just that plain. They contain reds, blues, greens, silvers or any other color to any metered amounts of them, so many variables. Real pain in the *** match.
I had my C6 bumper painted twice. It's easy to match since it's a solid color with no "flakes"

You just need the color sub-code to get the right tint. The C6 version of paint had no tint, yellow tint, and blue tint.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chevette!?!?
That settles it,........I don't care what it costs, I'm having EXPEL installed on the front clip of my C7. I swear, when I pass a semi on the freeway their tossing coins or nuts and bolts out the window. And there's no way to prove it!
Problem with Expel is if it's a hit like the OP has. Not only will you have to fix the car, but replace the Expel as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by DAFFYDRUNK:
dvilin (03-21-2017), Rebel Yell (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:53 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Exactly.
Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Problem with Expel is if it's a hit like the OP has. Not only will you have to fix the car, but replace the Expel as well.

Get notified of new replies

To How much to fix this

Old 03-21-2017, 02:09 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoeD-C7
Solid white's are indeed the easiest less crucial color there is. The minute you add pearl's and metallic's it is no longer a solid color and very hard like any other non solid color to match.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Z51 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 02:09 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Well I went to the dealership's collision center this morning. Yeah its going to run around 1k for the repair. I don't know if I could trust other collision centers for a corvette but could be wrong. Any other car and I would let this roll off my back. The car is paid for and the reason I came here and not to a center is because they were closed when this happened and I figured this happens alot and people here would have an understanding of cost factors.

The reason I zoomed in is so the damage could be seen up close. I can add a zoomed out picture. I am just glad the damage is only to the area and not roll up over the hood etc... It almost looks like bird **** from farther out until you get closer.

I don't know what the hell it was that hit me. All I know is I was moving at about 74 mph on the highway when what appeared to be something yellow in color bouncing my way. Thought it was a ball at first, but I don't know it looked round not jagged. No time to react, I just heard one impact sound and that was it. I didn't hear any undercarriage noise from something striking.

I won't be going through insurance because I would pay for the whole thing out of pocket. The car is paid for but I still have full coverage just in case a tree falls on my garage or it burns down and totals. I will eat the deductible. If i go with 200 deductible would raise my premium more than double. Its BS my comp on this car right now is 130 where my other cars is 20 a piece.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Did you check to see if it's a comp claim? Usually your premiums don't get jacked if you make a comp claim.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much to fix this