Sponsored by:

How much to fix this

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 06:06 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ67
Collision is collision , any damage appraiser can tell comprehensive damage versus collision. Any time the car makes contact with anything other than a animal or bird its collision. Doesn't matter if the car was parked, doesn't matter if any one was in it or not. Also If any panel including bumper covers are easily repairable, good shops fix rather than replace. The less paint work the better.
The auto policy pays for damage to auto's only 3 ways on there own insureds policy, comprehensive covers everything other than collision and the collision portion of the policy naturally pays for collision damage, separate full glass coverage pays for glass losses.
Perhaps it depends on carrier or state?

When GF was in an accident w/ a City owned vehicle - city is self insured and refused to pay, even though they were at fault - her carrier treated it as 'uninsured motorist" not comp/collision.

Ditto a windshield broken by rock or other object falling off or kicked up by a truck in front of her.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:28 AM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Did you check to see if it's a comp claim? Usually your premiums don't get jacked if you make a comp claim.
Nah the estimated total is 997.80 and my deductible is alot higher than that so would be pointless to contact insurance company at this point.

Am I the only one who thinks the people who are in charge of maintaining the roadways should foot the bill for incidents like this? Especially when its no fault of the driver and yet they are penalized financially for it
Old 03-22-2017, 02:01 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Davids65
If you claim it on your insurance there will be a car fax report and the value of the car will take a hit! Even if you were to make a police report and don't claim it on your insurance there will be a record and you will loose money down the road!
Carfax is fast becoming urban myth. Most issues aren't even reported to them.

There is no requirement to report to them, so a clean carfax means nothing. If something is reported, then I have never heard any reason not to believe it didn't happen, though.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Mike1320
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by air86
Nah the estimated total is 997.80 and my deductible is alot higher than that so would be pointless to contact insurance company at this point.

Am I the only one who thinks the people who are in charge of maintaining the roadways should foot the bill for incidents like this? Especially when its no fault of the driver and yet they are penalized financially for it
Interesting idea, but I don't think so. Don't give the lawyers another bad idea.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:58 PM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

what david said !!!

it will show up on your car fax report if you make a insurance claim !!!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Chuck Mahnke
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 244 Likes on 94 Posts

My experience with CARFAX and AutoCheck from two years ago was that it was reported by the cops, not my insurance carrier or the body shop. It was reported to them on the day of the incident, before I went for an estimate and before my insurance agent reported it to the company. A woman backed into the front bumper and put a nice 6" cut in the cover. I looked into trading it in for a Grand Sport and the quotes came in from five different dealers with diminished value ranging from $4K - $6K simply because it was listed on the two reporting agencies. The diminished value was way more than the actual repair cost!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:05 PM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

^^^^^^^ that absured,

whats the point of insurance companies,

demnishing value seems to be the norm these days,
Old 03-22-2017, 03:19 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

OP. Good luck with the repair. Take your time and you'll be happy with the results.

ps if your insurance company says your policy will double to lower your deductible find a new one. That's a total ripoff.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:37 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFD2
Looks like $750 to $1000
I think that's pretty much dead on. Wouldn't hurt to get a couple estimates.

That sucks

Quick Reply: How much to fix this