Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic ride versus non-magnetic ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Corvette is a powerful machine with superior traction control and stability control systems. They will keep you safe while you exercise the 460 HP in C7. That said they can not over ride "stupid". If you plan push the car and drive aggressively MRC adds another level of stability control and protection to keep you and the car between the ditches. I think it is well worth the cost no matter how you drive. A good friend reminded me that the great 427 mid year Corvettes of the 60's did not have sophisticated stability control let alone MRC so why worry about it now. All in how you drive your Corvette. IMO the "average" Corvette driver doesn't need MRC. However it is not only a question of need is is more a question of having the best stability control system for a very powerful car.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 03-23-2017 at 09:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Corgidog1 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
I own a Z51 with MSRC. Honestly, it was almost a deal breaker for me not having it. Are you buying new or trying to find used? Also I don't know if you are focused on a particular color or option but I know MacMulkin has some new Z51's with MSRC and they have some of the lowest prices out there.

Also have you looked into the Grand Sport? MSRC is standard. You can find 1LT GS's for under $58K brand new.

Magnetic Selective Ride is an option I definitely wanted when I got my 2015 Z51 coupe.

It makes a huge difference in control of the road, and well worth every dollar.

I'd recommend getting MSRC.

Don't leave home without it.

Last edited by gpotski; 03-23-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The Z51 w/ MSRC is both softer and stiffer than the Z51 without depending upon the setting one selects. I wouldn't own a C7 without MSRC.

What he said! Bought it, use it depending on my driving mood and aggressiveness, love it!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I am going against the crew here. I got the z51 with out the MSRC because I wanted the stiffer springs. I track the car and imo the MSRC does not hide the soft spring in long sweepers and it gets confused when you are using trail braking....jmo
Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The springs and sway bars are the same in all Z51s. However, your shocks are not adjustable.

Thus, your car feels more like an MSRC car in Sport mode all the time. In Track mode, an MSRC Z51 is even stiffer than your car on smooth pavement. You also lose the benefit of dialing up a softer ride for highway cruising in Tour mode. On the track, C7 Z51s w/ MSRC routinely log faster lap times (holding driver constant) because it's also coupled with PTM, and it stays more planted.

But, I think you're missing the main purpose of MSRC, which is to have dampers which continually adjust up to 1000 times a second to ensure that all 4 tires stay planted on the pavement in varying pavement conditions. You can't do that with single setting shocks.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-24-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:16 AM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Purchased it on my last 3 Vettes - Love it
Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Emerald Eagle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 45 Posts

The springs and sway bars are the same in all Z51s. However, your shocks are not adjustable.

Thus, your car feels more like an MSRC car in Sport mode all the time. In Track mode, an MSRC Z51 is even stiffer than your car on smooth pavement. You also lose the benefit of dialing up a softer ride for highway cruising in Tour mode. On the track, C7 Z51s w/ MSRC routinely log faster lap times (holding driver constant) because it's also coupled with PTM, and it stays more planted.

But, I think you're missing the main purpose of MSRC, which is to have dampers which continually adjust up to 1000 times a second to ensure that all 4 tires stay planted on the pavement in varying pavement conditions. You can't do that with single setting shocks.

That is exactly correct! The benefit of the MSRC that is not discussed much, but is really very significant, is the fact that the car will move more up and down when it goes over road irregularities rather than pitching. That is one of the reason my wife loves the car since it eliminates her tendency to get motion sickness.

I think it also help with driver endurance allowing you to put more miles/day under the car.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:50 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
My Z51 did not have mag ride. It's a sports car not a caddy. Was it missing some capabilities, sure, but I never knew it and enjoyed the hell out of it.
Same here.

I would have gotten mag ride if it came with the car I bought. It was a crazy good deal so I did not sweat it.

I think the z51 ride w/o mag ride is great. I don't plan on tracking it.

What I would NEVER get a vette without anymore is the performance exhaust. That is way cool in track mode. Attitude.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:12 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Though I'm not super impressed with the ride in Tour mode - it could be softer and less jarring - body control in all modes is excellent. Also, straight line traction in Tour and Sport modes is increased dramatically because the system allows some rear squat/weight transfer under acceleration. Though it's not perfect or necessary, MagRide is a worthwhile option.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

That's why many of us have invested in the new DSC Sport controller which replaces the OEM MSRC controller. Not only does it dramatically improve ride quality, it also provides an enormous improvement in the handling qualities of the car. OEM MSRC is good, but the DSC makes it spectacular. The track guys are shaving 2 or more seconds off their lap times after plugging in DSC controller.

It was developed by Mike Levitas, (CEO of TPC Racing/DSC Sport) who campaigned a 3-car Porsche 911 team, and is a former winner of the 24Hrs of Daytona. He is regarded as one of the most talented chassis tuners in the business today, and C7 Z06 owner.

There are numerous long threads on this technology in C7 General, C7 Tech, and on both Z06 forums. Out of dozens who've installed it, I haven't seen a single person disappointed yet.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:16 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry, you are wrong. The spring rates of the non MSRC z51's are 527.6 lbs/in front and 942.2 lbs/inch rear.

The MRSC z51 has 451.7 lbs/inch front and 725.2 lbs/inch rear.

All the z51's have the same front sway bar but the non MSRC has a 26.7mm rear where the MSRC has a 32mm bar to compensate for the lower spring rates......think about it, how could the ride feel softer in touring mode on the MSRC car with just adjusting damping?
Old 03-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

OK, I'll assume you're correct, but there is no denying that MSRC cars, which are the only ones available w/ PTM are quicker around a track, driver being equal, and stay planted better.

The MSRC dampers are capable of becoming stiffer than std shocks when they need to, which more than compensates for the lighter spring rate in Track mode, and provides ride comfort when you want that.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-24-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:34 PM
rti35
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't even know why they offer the Z51 w/o Mag ride. I guess that's what the Grand Sport is for now.

If you're not going to ever track the car you're fine w/o the mag ride. Just realize you will likely take a hit on resale down the road if you want to sell because it's a highly desirable option
Old 03-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

[quote=rpoc7r;1594374446]
Originally Posted by foosh
ok, i'll assume you're correct, but there is no denying that msrc cars, which are the only ones available w/ ptm are quicker around a track, driver being equal, and stay planted better./quote]

actually an instructor at spring mountain told me that he turns faster lap times in a non-msrc z51 than he does in a msrc z51, due to the fact that the suspension setup in the track mode in a non-msrc z51 is softer than that of an msrc z51 in the track mode and more quickly transfers weight to the rear wheels, allowing more aggressive throttle applications on corner exit. (he turns tc and stability track off in both versions of the z51.)

for those with lower skill levels than those of a spring mountain instructor, msrc / ptm z51 offers multiple suspension setups in the track mode, whereas a non-msrc z51 offers only one in the track mode (competitve driving). This makes an msrc z51 a better choice for track work for all but the most highly skilled drivers.

For the reasons set forth in my first paragraph, a non-msrc z51 is a better choice for drag racing, where track mode is preferable due to its more aggressive throttle settings (and transmission shift quickness / firmness in an automatic transmission car).

For all around street driving, an mrsc z51 is a better choice for most, as it provides a softer ride than a non-msrc z51 in the weather, eco and tour modes. The ride firmness in an msrc z51 is stiffer in the sport and track modes than that of a non-msrc z51.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Per Tadge; the Non-MRSC Z51 with the T1 suspension will turn the same lap times as the new Grand Sport. The T1 offers larger front and rear sway bars and stiffer bushings on the A arms and shocks; the '16's now come with the same shocks as what the T1 package offered.
My Spring Mountain instructor also stated he turned better lap times with a non MRSC Z51 because the ride stiffness In track mode with MRSC makes it harder to put power down exiting turns.
I had both '14 Z51 and '15 Z06 with MSRC and my '16 Z51 was ordered with out it.
My only wish would be to have PTM with a non MSRC Z51.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:26 PM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

The magnetic ride control is what made me choose my particular car over the other vettes I test drive. It felt that much better. Out of five vettes I test drove, the one with the magnetic ride control was significantly better.

Last edited by JenFZ09; 03-24-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Skid Row Joe (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

JenF09,
Out of the five you test drove, how many were/weren't Z51 optioned? Is the one you settled on, and bought, a Z51?
THX!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 PM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
JenF09,
Out of the five you test drove, how many were/weren't Z51 optioned? Is the one you settled on, and bought, a Z51?
THX!
I was going to buy a white Z51 3LT. I went to pick it up. Something was "off" with the car. It had been sitting for a year in a showroom which may have contributed to this feeling. The dealer had an identical gray Z51 3LT that I would have bought, but it was sold.

That night, I drove a 3LT, with the mag ride and exhaust and bought it after the test drive. This car was 2k more than the Z51 3LT, so it wasn't saving me anything by not getting the Z51. It was that good. And, I don't buy red cars, yet I bought it because the car was that special.

Last edited by JenFZ09; 03-24-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Skid Row Joe (03-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Magnetic ride versus non-magnetic ride