Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:13 PM
fun ticket
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Thinking about selling

I may sell my 2016 C7. Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or even ask. It is Torch Red, Black Interior, 2LT, M7, red seat belts, red paddles, lloyds mats, has a weather tech cargo mat, cargo lights and tag light upgraded to led's. It also has the Z51 spoiler, red brake calipers, black wheels, black lug nuts, cue ball shifter with red sting ray logo on it.

It has 800 miles on it. It is in perfect condition, zero blemishes. Tires still have the nubs on them. It just sits in the garage.

I am not driving it and think I want to sell it.

Any ideas on an appropriate price range?

Mods - if this is the wrong place or wrong question to ask please move it or delete.

Thx.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM
renoone
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Look on the C7 for sale area. You can get a price range there and list it if you decide to.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Best of Luck with whatever you decide to do. It should sell quickly if it is priced right. I have no idea of its value.

Last edited by beaversstonehaven; 03-23-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:49 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

I would check eBay for completed auctions. Looking at a site like this, all you'll get are dreaming asking prices that have no basis in reality.

Remember, any aftermarket options are basically worthless when selling, and you're competing with new 2017s on the lot. It's a shame that you never had a chance to drive it.
The following 2 users liked this post by yeller z06:
bigsapper (03-23-2017), Rebel Yell (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
I would check eBay for completed auctions. Looking at a site like this, all you'll get are dreaming asking prices that have no basis in reality.

Remember, any aftermarket options are basically worthless when selling, and you're competing with new 2017s on the lot. It's a shame that you never had a chance to drive it.
with my Tar Heel brother. Sadly with the discounts prices on new ones, you will possibly take a harder than usual beating. Good luck with your sell. Nice thing is not every one is like the members here, and don't keep up with prices like we do. Hopefully you'll find one of those folks.

BTW, I look at it this way. Even though I don't get to drive mine as much as I like, it's not eating a thing, and it's there when I can. Don't jump until you're sure.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 03-23-2017 at 03:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
beaversstonehaven (03-23-2017), dvilin (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:17 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Wait until late June early july. In season and someone will jump on it.

any reason you're not driving it? Out of season? Cause that is right around the corner.

I got that way with my last C6. I upgraded and my new Z sit's in my climate controlled garage aka the bedroom, waiting for real spring. I was able to sneak it out on several occasions over winter and whenever u get down on the storage thing. I pull it out and put it back and I am reminded that the good weather is worth the wait!.

OP, best of luck in your decision, didn't mean to pry, just curious with almost no miles on it why.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 03-23-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:21 PM
Dpriceslc
Racer

Received 287 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't mean to be rude, but why, WHY would you buy a brand new C7 Corvette, add a bunch of aftermarket stuff (which like someone already said, adds almost nothing to resale value), put only 800 miles on it and then turn around and sell it? It would probably be easier to just buy a paper shredder and run as many $100 bills through it as you can get your hands on...
The following 5 users liked this post by Dpriceslc:
direct007 (03-24-2017), Italianfox (03-24-2017), JK 23112 (03-23-2017), Judgment Day (03-23-2017), Walt White Coupe (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:41 PM
fun ticket
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dpriceslc
I don't mean to be rude, but why, WHY would you buy a brand new C7 Corvette, add a bunch of aftermarket stuff (which like someone already said, adds almost nothing to resale value), put only 800 miles on it and then turn around and sell it? It would probably be easier to just buy a paper shredder and run as many $100 bills through it as you can get your hands on...
Fair question.....I have this disease, called ADD or dumbass, or like to trade cars and boats constantly. Pick any of the above. I know it makes zero financial sense and never expected to break even on the purchase and i know any mods are zero value add when selling.

For whatever reason, I found that the car did not trip my trigger like I thought it would. In fairness, it is a good car, good value so I am not knocking it. I think I am going to sell both the vette and my X5 and get a new Raptor. It is a better fit for me and my lifestyle (boating, fishing, etc) and carrying the associated junk that comes with both of those activities.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 03:44 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

It would be even easier if someone gave those $100 bills to me. Just to make sure the paper shredder doesn't overheat
Old 03-23-2017, 03:51 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Start with kbb.com trade-in value for your car.
Check with the Ford dealer that you are going to buy the Raptor from on trade-in value and see if they will match or beat KBB. In Florida (have not lived there in years) you should get a trade-in tax incentive on the Raptor if you trade in the Corvette. Say your Corvette is worth $50K and the Raptor is $70K. You would only pay the $20K difference in taxes.

Look around the classifieds too and see what cars are going for. Keep in mind what you ask and what you get are two different things. Also keep in mind that there are still brand new 2016's sitting on dealer lots and you can usually get 20% off sticker price. Maybe higher. Not trying to be a debbie downer but the 2017's have some huge incentives right now so I would expect to get 25-29% off MSRP for your car.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

You might want to consider what Ford would give you as a trade in on a new Raptor and get the tax benefit. They might price it well given its virtually new.
Landru (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default correct but harsh

one could, with real justification, place buying any new Vette akin to shredding money when you could get a perfectly functional Toyota Corolla for a FRACTION of the price and with four seats too....let's be honest, it's a first world purchase where you can obviously do better than some at buying and selling but it's still an excess which we all dearly love.....
Rebel Yell (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 PM
fun ticket
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
one could, with real justification, place buying any new Vette akin to shredding money when you could get a perfectly functional Toyota Corolla for a FRACTION of the price and with four seats too....let's be honest, it's a first world purchase where you can obviously do better than some at buying and selling but it's still an excess which we all dearly love.....
well said. there is nothing about buying a vette that makes sense on the financial side. there are far more practical auto purchases. but, people buy and sell what they choose for their own enjoyment.

only so many trips around the sun as they say....and says the guy who got his third skin cancer diagnosis this week.....ugh.
Chuck72 (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:01 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Can't fault the Raptor. My VP has one and I think he likes it better than any cars I've seen him drive. If I needed a truck it would be at the top of the list. Good luck with your choice!
Old 03-23-2017, 10:29 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fun ticket
Fair question.....I have this disease, called ADD or dumbass, or like to trade cars and boats constantly. Pick any of the above. I know it makes zero financial sense and never expected to break even on the purchase and i know any mods are zero value add when selling.

For whatever reason, I found that the car did not trip my trigger like I thought it would. In fairness, it is a good car, good value so I am not knocking it. I think I am going to sell both the vette and my X5 and get a new Raptor. It is a better fit for me and my lifestyle (boating, fishing, etc) and carrying the associated junk that comes with both of those activities.
You're not alone sir. I have seen many extremely low mile cars on lots, even motorcycles with under 100 miles on them. Sometimes it just doesn't work. As long as you are not hurt, move on and be happy. Good luck with the sale.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:12 PM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts

I just saw the new raptor and it looks GREAT....the grill and inside are impressive.....my FIRST choice would be to see what the dealership is offering.....we just bought a tesla and did very well trading a Mercedes....only 2k off where we thought was fair vs waiting for the right private buyer.....we did negotiate that price up so maybe that's not your thing.....but would/should be your starting point.....then if it's not right wait for a buyer
Old 03-24-2017, 12:22 AM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06

Hope U bought it right. There's big discounts on 2017's - Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about selling

Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 AM
17Z
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Not that you need a defense, but for thirty years I have been guilty of the same thing...buying, not using, and then trading in at usually a staggering cost. My last vette a 2013 Z06 had less than 800 miles on it. Didn't want to deal with buyers so I traded it in. I would be embarrassed to disclose the financials to it, but in the end I have a new, better fitted vette that I love. I'll work a little harder to cover the loss but I have no regrets.
No matter what anyone else tells you, do what makes you happy and don't look back. Life is just too short to worry about the what ifs.
The following 2 users liked this post by 17Z:
Chuck72 (03-24-2017), Rebel Yell (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:30 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by fun ticket
Fair question.....I have this disease, called ADD or dumbass, or like to trade cars and boats constantly.
I too suffer from this debilitating (to my bank account) disease. For instance, I custom ordered a new 911S a few years ago, $110-ish MSRP, and sold it before the year was out. My friends were shocked, horrified, dismayed; how could I sell (at a huge loss) such a phenomenal car?

Eh, it's just a car.

I budget for it, it's just a cost of living the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed. Glad that you can afford to do this and aren't just selling it at a huge loss to pay for a kidney.

The toughest thing I've found with selling one year-old cars, is that KBB and the like often don't give any number at all for trade-in value. It makes it difficult to sell, because you're competing with new cars that have more favorable financing, so you're pretty-much left with people that can pay cash, and they are few and far between. Especially since for a few more dollars, they can buy used. So often, really, just trading it at the Ford/BMW/Porsche dealer doesn't really cost much more money and it sure is a heck of a lot easier. Plus you get that sales tax break, in most states.

Best of luck.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Casey VP26
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 82 Posts

NO NO NO !!! With only 800 miles you don't know what a great car you have.

I think it is time you start driving the car.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling