Sponsored by:

C7 transmission surge

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:52 AM
vett2ooo
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 transmission surge

Took my 2015 corvette to dealer concerning 8speed aut transmission surge. After verifying the problem was shown a gm service advisory that says to tell the customer that this is normal. My car shifts rough and any time it is in a pull it surges or jerks. The advisory also uses the word shudder. According to the advisory this is a also a problem with camaro and Cadillac. Has anyone else having this problem gotten any help from gm or dealer. My car is getting worse and this is the second time I have been told that this is normal operation. I think it is time gm stepped up and fixed this and quit making excuses.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Unfortunately this sounds like a common problem with the 15 A8's. Many have had the transmission and/or the torque converter replaced. I have a 15 A8 and knock on wood haven't had any problems, but I wouldn't be surprised if it popped-up in the future.

Many threads on the forum about it -- check them out and I'm pretty sure with what you said you will find a match.

Also, find another dealer -- most as I've read on here try a re-flash on the trans, then idf it doesn't work (50/50 from what I've read on here) replace the TC and/or the trans.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:29 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Buddy has a 2015 3LT and it's horrible (lurching, surging and jerking).

Mine has displayed some of this but driving it as a blvd cruiser has tamed this behavior. A shame too, as when you buy a performance car, you want to drive it like one.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:34 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Try search. Tons of info out there on this forum as well as Camaro forums. I'm not convinced there is a complete cure at this time. Fixes include:

Fluid flush and spec change.
Reflash.
TC swap.
Transmission swap.
Trade for manual transmission car.
Sell car.

Good luck. I'm currently driving in manual mode full time waiting for a proper fix or my death. Whichever comes first.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Spinny
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vett2ooo
Took my 2015 corvette to dealer concerning 8speed aut transmission surge. After verifying the problem was shown a gm service advisory that says to tell the customer that this is normal. My car shifts rough and any time it is in a pull it surges or jerks. The advisory also uses the word shudder. According to the advisory this is a also a problem with camaro and Cadillac. Has anyone else having this problem gotten any help from gm or dealer. My car is getting worse and this is the second time I have been told that this is normal operation. I think it is time gm stepped up and fixed this and quit making excuses.
My 2015 A8 is at the dealer right now for this problem. I took it in yesterday. I had a service manager drive the car with me aboard and he experienced the "shudder" problem immediately. I got a call from the service department late this afternoon telling me that they want to replace the TC, but have to get permission from GM to do so without first trying the "triple flush" procedure outlined in the latest TSB. They expect an answer from GM on Monday. Like many others, I have little confidence that GM has developed a permanent solution for this problem. I guess that I will just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:33 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

I would have no problem with the 3 flush process. It replaces the fluid with an entirely different fluid than came from the factory. It's far less invasive than a TC swap...and it just may work.

Good luck, let us know if it works!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 PM
Spinny
Instructor

Originally Posted by KemahGT
I would have no problem with the 3 flush process. It replaces the fluid with an entirely different fluid than came from the factory. It's far less invasive than a TC swap...and it just may work.

Good luck, let us know if it works!
It is my expectation that if the TC is replaced, the old fluid will need to be replaced as part of the process as well. If that is the case, I plan on being certain that the new fluid is installed along with the new TC. Are my assumptions incorrect?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:10 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

No. You are correct. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it has been the experience of some that a TC change has not been shown to always correct the problem. The 3 flush fluid change is the latest try by GM to fix the issue. Why not let them give it a try? It's less invasive and quicker. If it doesn't fix it you can always return for the TC.
The following 3 users liked this post by KemahGT:
bjones7131 (03-26-2017), JimNeedsC7 (03-25-2017), Spinny (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:21 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

What's the TSB number for the triple flush?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:12 AM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vett2ooo
I have a 2017 Grand Sport and my transmission slams into second when downshifting. Also when lightly pressing the gas pedal it likes to downshift into a lower gear causing me to let off the gas so it doesn't slam into the gear. Its frustrating but after reading everything it seems to be normal. Once I get back to the states in 4 years I will probably get it looked at because I don't trust the German mechanics here. I went to get my first oil change and they wouldnt tell me the oil they used and also left grease all over my seat.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:35 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

We have those mechanics here too. Luck of the draw, I guess.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:04 AM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
What's the TSB number for the triple flush?
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...tate-1324.html
The following users liked this post:
767guy (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Spinny
Instructor

Originally Posted by KemahGT
No. You are correct. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it has been the experience of some that a TC change has not been shown to always correct the problem. The 3 flush fluid change is the latest try by GM to fix the issue. Why not let them give it a try? It's less invasive and quicker. If it doesn't fix it you can always return for the TC.
What you suggest is certainly the more conservative and perhaps wiser approach, and makes good sense for someone who has more patience than I. The simple truth is that I don't like to be without my Vette in my garage, ready to drive or just look at whenever the mood strikes me. Additionally, the shudder is so annoying to me that I avoid driving the car rather than experience it. By getting a new TC and the new fluid at the same time I hope to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and avoid a potential second trip to the dealer, with the loss of the use of my car while it is there. The issue may be moot, of course, if GM insists on trying the triple flush procedure before authorizing the installation of a new TC.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Spinny
The issue may be moot, of course, if GM insists on trying the triple flush procedure before authorizing the installation of a new TC.
I agree with you completely....get it done once and be done with it. However, as you indicate, GM is running the show.

It is maddening to have such a great car marred w/ something that is so fundamental to the car's performance, drive-ability and enjoyment. Can only hope the new Ford/GM 10 speed remedies this problem and doesn't manifest a new one.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:35 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinny
My 2015 A8 is at the dealer right now for this problem. I took it in yesterday. I had a service manager drive the car with me aboard and he experienced the "shudder" problem immediately. I got a call from the service department late this afternoon telling me that they want to replace the TC, but have to get permission from GM to do so without first trying the "triple flush" procedure outlined in the latest TSB. They expect an answer from GM on Monday. Like many others, I have little confidence that GM has developed a permanent solution for this problem. I guess that I will just have to wait and see what happens.
I was in the same position three months ago with my '15 A8, which I've since traded on a '17 M7 after futzing with tranny issues for two years. My dealer called GM for permission but their procedure was to replace the TC and do the fluid triple-flush in one repair session, not two. The flush will probably not work (see Tadge's statement last year), but GM may be feeling the bite of all these TC repairs and are rolling the dice on getting by with a cheaper fix. This might benefit them in the long run but the customer is left with enduring two repair sessions when it fails.

GM pulled the same BS with me with another matter, as there are two major issues with the A8, not just the TC maladies. The second is delayed engagement reported by many, but mine was very sporadic and only happened about every three months. Instead of fixing it when the tranny was out for the TC repair they insisted on having a dealer verify the problem first, which was highly unlikely to ever happen. So, the delayed engagement persisted. In the end I traded the A8 car, weary after two years of dealing with it and having issues persist.
The following 2 users liked this post by iclick:
Ernest_T (04-06-2017), JimNeedsC7 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Sad to hear of your A8 problems. Hopefully you did not take a bath on the trade but the M7 is a bulletproof transmission. You don't hear a lot of complaints here about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by b4i4getit:
JimNeedsC7 (03-25-2017), thrilled (09-01-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Even with my bad memory, I remember that it wasn't to long ago that the C7 apologists were calling anyone that dared to say that there were problems with the A8, as HATERS, as there were no problems with the C7 according to them.

No, we were not HATERs, we were realists that didn't stick out head in the sand. I'm not a C6 HATER(I own a C6 Z06, along with two other Corvettes) either, but I've been quite vocal about the LS7's valve problems.

Not acknowledging a problem doesn't make it go away. Typical GM. Just say a problem is "normal" and hope it will go away until the warranty runs out. Then it's "normal" for the owners to fix the problem with their pocketbooks.
The following users liked this post:
Ernest_T (04-06-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 transmission surge

Old 03-25-2017, 02:07 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

My 2017 GS (build date 8/16) so far hasn't started shuttering, but the RPMs do go up and down 100-200 RPM in V4 mode .
I wonder if GM will authorize the triple flush procedure for this problem or if they'll wait until it starts shuddering.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:35 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't get why people keep buying the A8 knowing the severity and frequency of the tranny issues. If you want to pay to be kicked in the nuts look me up.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:33 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Sad to hear of your A8 problems. Hopefully you did not take a bath on the trade but the M7 is a bulletproof transmission. You don't hear a lot of complaints here about it.

Nor any with the 6 Speed auto the A8 replaced. Makes the 2014 a bit more attractive to the used car buyer.

Quick Reply: C7 transmission surge