Sponsored by:

The Z51 Magnetic Ride/Non-magnetic ride debate

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:53 AM
RPOC7R
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default The Z51 Magnetic Ride Control / Non-Magnetic Ride Control Debate

For all around street driving, an MRC Z51 is a better choice for most, as it provides a softer ride than a non-MRC Z51 in the Weather, ECO and Tour Modes. The ride firmness in an MRC Z51 is stiffer in the Sport and Track Modes than that of a non-MRC Z51. Therefore, for those who prefer to do their street driving in the Sport or Track Modes, a non-MRC Z51 may be a better way to go.

Regarding road course driving, an MRC Z51 offers multiple PTM suspension setups in the Track Mode, whereas a non-MRC Z51 offers only one in the Track Mode (Competitve Driving). This makes an MRC Z51 a better choice for track work for most drivers.

However, for highly experienced road course drivers, a non-MRC Z51 may be a better choice for faster lap times. An instructor at Spring Mountain told me that he turns faster lap times in a non-MRC Z51 than he does in a MRC Z51. He said the reason for this is that the suspension setup in the Track Mode in a non-MRC Z51 is softer than that of an MRC Z51 in the Track Mode, which on corner exit allows more aggressive throttle application in a non-MRC Z51, because weight transfers more rapidly to the rear wheels. (He turns TC and Stability Track off in both versions of the Z51.)

For really hard core road course drivers, a non-MRC Z51 may also be a better choice, because it's suspension can be easily converted to a track superior coil-over setup.

For drag racing, a non-MRC Z51, with its softer suspension in the Track Mode, is a better choice than an MRC Z51, because it provides more rapid weight transfer to the rear wheels for better launch traction. The Track Mode is the best setting for drag racing due to its more aggressive throttle progression (and shift quickness in automatic transmission C7's).

All things considered, an MRC Z51 is the best all around choice, but for certain applications, a non-MRC Z51 may be a better choice.

Last edited by RPOC7R; 03-25-2017 at 12:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPOC7R:
Gary '09 C6 (03-25-2017), RKCRLR (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

having owned both a 2015 nonmag z51 and a 2016 magride z51 and autocrossing both i can tell you the non-mag handled better right out of the box, i was very sorry after a few events i put the thicker rear mag-ride sway bar on it which i took off after two events because of the oversteer than showed up with it. now for the mag-ride car that drove me nuts !!it was not a good autocross car right out of box! in the end it took the softer non-ride rear sway bar( $75.00) and running the car in sport instead of track to duplicate the results/handling of non-mag car. ---in the end i like the magride cars better because i now know a simple rear bar change and sport instead of track gives me the handling i want to race and then put it in tour for a soft ride on the street. i just picked up a new zo6 and yes i took the soft/skinny non-ride rear sway bar off my trade for the new z06.

Quick Reply: The Z51 Magnetic Ride/Non-magnetic ride debate