Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start in 2017 manual?

Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Yeah. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should do something.
The Compustar remote start on a manual transmission is pretty slick. It will only work if the car is in neutral and the emergency brake is engaged.

It wont start the car if it is not in neutral with the emergency brake on.

Last edited by thill444; 03-27-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Corvettes are normally kept in garages, are they not? I suppose there are a few people compelled to store them outside, but it's not normal. So why would you want to remote start your car while it is in the garage? The only good reason would be to gas the cats while you're gone with a dose of carbon monoxide. No mess clean up and you would save on kibbles.
What if you drive it to work and park it for the day and it is cold out? What if you go out shopping for several hours on a cold day? I don't park my car only in garages and only drive it in the summer.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:02 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
What if you drive it to work and park it for the day and it is cold out? What if you go out shopping for several hours on a cold day? I don't park my car only in garages and only drive it in the summer.
What if someone comes across an abandoned Corvette in a parking garage with the motor running? All kinds of possibilities come to mind. The argument reminds me of the lane nanny argument where some people want your car to warn you of every hazard. If you want this feature buy an A8. The original question was, does a manual have auto start? Answer= "No." Your choice.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:03 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Z0-SIX
This is not true. Normal battery voltage is around 12.6v. Any time the engine is running and the alternator is working properly, charging system voltage is somewhere 13.5-14.5v average. Therefore, charging the battery. RPM usually has very little effect on voltage output from the alternator.
At idle speed the alternator output is far less than rated (maximum output rating is at maximum recommended alternator speed) and is generally around 40% of rated maximum at best. Once remote started some of the normal vehicle electrical load, in addition to that consumed by the powertrain electronic systems, will be present. So count on a very long idle period for a net gain given the battery depletion from starting the car. And extended idling of a cold engine is one of the worst things you can do to it-one of the reasons a major "'hit" to the OLM percentage occurs from excessive idling in cold weather because the engineers who designed the system understand how extensive idling degrades engine oil.

I often do use remote start on my Z06 and ATS but I engage it as I am walking towards the car so that the engine has dropped to base idle and is ready to go by the time I am belted in. I wouldn't leave any of my vehicles running for an extended time if I am away from them because many things can happen and few of them are good.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

What if someone comes across an abandoned Corvette in a parking garage with the motor running?
Please tell me you have at least enough imagination to imagine that a remotely started car need not have the doors unlocked and that when you approach your remotely started vette, having the fob in your pocket, you can then just open the doors and drive off. You really couldn't have thought of that on your own?!?

All kinds of possibilities come to mind.
Except, apparently, the one I just enumerated...

The argument reminds me of the lane nanny argument where some people want your car to warn you of every hazard. If you want this feature buy an A8. The original question was, does a manual have auto start? Answer= "No." Your choice.
Haven't to go with a totally different transmission and driving style just to allow remote start seems to me like a lot of overkill and dismissiveness. Again, I can see the need, and the way to achieve it, to allow an M7 owner to remotely start his car, provided it's in neutral and the eBrake is engaged so that he might warm up the car before having to get in. Personally, living in San Diego, this is never really needed but I don't always live in San Diego...
Old 03-27-2017, 02:21 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

What if someone comes across an abandoned Corvette in a parking garage with the motor running? All kinds of possibilities come to mind. The argument reminds me of the lane nanny argument where some people want your car to warn you of every hazard. If you want this feature buy an A8. The original question was, does a manual have auto start? Answer= "No." Your choice.

How is the engine running in a manual Corvette any different from the engine running in an automatic in a parking garage?

Lots of people buy cars that don't have remote start installed by the factory and add it later.

Just so you understand how it works, with Compustar the only way you can drive the car is if you are physically in the car with the key. Meaning if someone broke into a car that was running they could not actually put the car into gear without the car stalling/turning off.

Having just moved from Minnesota where I lived for 7+ years I can tell you that remote start is very popular there as an aftermarket add-on.

Last edited by thill444; 03-27-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:26 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonezz70
yeah..just like the brake needs to be depressed when starting the automatic. Wishful thinking but I was hoping if it was in neutral with the parking brake engaged, it could happen.
You know that it is feasible given that the computer knows the car is in neutral and the parking brake is fully engaged. This is how rev match works, the computer knows the gear it's going into. You would have to have software that disconnects the clutch safety start. It would only take additional $$$ to furhter develop, but with the small sales of manuals, they must have decided its not worth the $$$.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:19 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
There's a company called Compustar that says they have a remote starter compatible with a manual vette if you're really motivated to do this. I don't know anything about them, this was posted on another car board I'm on.

https://www.compustar.com/remote-start/rsd-3400s
I had heard that also.Need to deactivate the clutch switch.And need to
Park it in neutral.To much hassle for me.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:59 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

Remote Start is the biggest thing I miss going from Auto to Manual C7 ... nothing like starting your Vette from other side of parking lot or parking garage and hear it roar to life. And if you have any enemies its a good car bomb test ...
Old 04-01-2017, 10:16 AM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm gone for work. And I'd like to start it to charge the battery etc.
So hook up the battery tender, much safer and more economical.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:22 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

This isn't an issue with the good aftermarket systems. If the key isn't used of fob present, the engine dies with the first touch of the brakes and probably the movement of the P/N switch in a manual application.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
This isn't an issue with the good aftermarket systems. If the key isn't used of fob present, the engine dies with the first touch of the brakes and probably the movement of the P/N switch in a manual application.
How did the aftermarket systems bypass the need for taping a fob under the dash in the C6/C7 cars?
Old 04-01-2017, 11:38 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by nytrorcr
It's a safety issue, first time you left it in gear you would need to replace the wall to your garage.
In days of yore, that is true.

In more modern times, the ignition will not activate the starter if the clutch isn't on the floor.

Start w/ clutch down is so ingrained, its been a long time since I haven't, but IIRC, my C5 does nothing if I turn the key w/o pressing the clutch.

In the 7, if I press the start button w/o the clutch in, screen displays "depress clutch to start" or similar wording.

Given the HUD/screen displays what gear you are in, we know the sensors are in place and at least part of the programming is already there.

Given that, some check like

On remote start signal
If gear = 0
And
Parking brake = on
Then
Energize starter circuit
Else
Ignore start command

Might work.

OTOH, since my driveway is a variable incline of 8 -15 degrees, even with the brake on, I block a wheel and leave the car in a forward gear...dont want to have to retrieve my car from my neighbors driveway in the event the brake fails (or gravity and weight overcome the holding power of the brake.)
Old 04-01-2017, 03:12 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by PHILLIP YOUNG
The clutch needs to be engaged to start.
Actually, the clutch needs to be dis-engaged. Pressing down the pedal does that, you know.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:42 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I'd think that excessive use of remote start in a DI engine would cause even more crap to build up on the valves. On my long gone Caddy Northstars, they had an issue called "cold carbon rap", which was crap built up on the valves to the point where they would kiss the pistons. Main cause was excessive idling as I Recall. Main fix was an Italian tune up.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:54 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm gone for work. And I'd like to start it to charge the battery etc.
Get a battery tender to maintain the battery at full charge. Starting it to charge the battery won't work, you will wear the battery down doing this way. You have a port in the trunk/right side to put a cigarette style charger in to keep it fully charged.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by PHILLIP YOUNG
The clutch needs to be engaged to start.
Your Vette should be in gear (pref in R) when parked.
I've owned manual cars all my life and I've always left them in neutral. That's what the parking brake is for. I have never ever accidentally left my car in gear. I HAVE had mechanics and others do it, of course. When I crank it and let off the clutch you know what happens? My car doesn't go rocketing through a wall or the car in front of me, or really even move more than like a foot. It jerks a little, gets caught by the e-brake and immediately stalls. The C7 KNOWS what gear I'm in cuz it shows me on the HUD. There's 0 reason they couldn't do remote start on a manual and just have it not start if you're in gear. Same as if you try to crank an automatic and it's in drive. Just doesn't work. I have no clue as to why they won't do it. It's not a safety issue though, otherwise, your passenger window wouldn't be able to auto up, since they'd be afraid a child would decapitate itself.

Get notified of new replies

To Remote start in 2017 manual?

Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

You don't leave it in gear even on a hill?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Nope. If there's a curb (assuming you're facing uphill), you turn your front wheels away from the curb so that if your ebrake fails, your front tires hit the curb and stop the car. If there's no curb, you turn your front wheels to the right. Basic driver's ed. I MIGHT put it in gear if I were on an incredibly steep hill like in Frisco or some places in San Diego, but I live in Charleston SC. There are no hills. Super flat
Old 11-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Dyn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Corvettes are normally kept in garages, are they not? I suppose there are a few people compelled to store them outside, but it's not normal. So why would you want to remote start your car while it is in the garage? The only good reason would be to gas the cats while you're gone with a dose of carbon monoxide. No mess clean up and you would save on kibbles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start in 2017 manual?