Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Octane at Kroger's-would you use it in your C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

You don't seem to know anything about this, yet you keep posting nonsense.

Regardless of who owns them, all refineries sell to virtually all brands. The vast majority of refinery-produced fuel travels via pipeline to storage terminals , and even the products of multiple refineries are often mixed in the pipeline. It's at the local storage terminals, where fuel for the retail outlets of all brands is picked up by tankers. That's where the additive packages that are exclusive to Shell, BP, Exxon/Mobil, etc. are mixed in as gasoline is loaded on the tanker. It is all the same BEFORE it goes in the tanker.

Some of the large, well-known brands don't even own refineries any more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrol..._United_States

Last edited by Foosh; 04-03-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:12 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 507 Likes on 293 Posts

why are arguing with him it is a waste of time
The following users liked this post:
F4Gary (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 04:28 PM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Regardless of who owns them, all refineries sell to virtually all brands. The vast majority of refinery-produced fuel travels via pipeline to storage terminals , and even the products of multiple refineries are often mixed in the pipeline. It's at the local storage terminals, where fuel for the retail outlets of all brands is picked up by tankers. That's where additive packages for are added that are exclusive to Shell, BP, Exxon/Mobil, etc.

This is correct. Base fuel is base fuel. There is no difference between base fuels with the same octane rating. As a matter of fact, different oil and gas companies trade base fuel between each other and then adds their own additives to make it their branded fuel. It is much more cost effective than having to build and operate a refinery through the globe. For example, Exxon may not have any refineries in California. So instead of having to transport fuel from their refineries in other states, their tankers actually pull into a Shell or any other refinery depot and load up with the base fuel. At each depot, there are drop stations that fills the tanker with the correct additives for the respective brands. In this case, it would fill the tanker with Exxon's additives to make it "Exxon" gas. These depots serve all brands, and contain additives for all brands to make them brand specific. They also serve non branded retailers as well, in such event they do not add the additives and hence it would just be base fuel. They also serve non branded fuel for top tier retailers as well such as Costco who sells unbranded top tier gas. What additives get filled in Costco's tankers depends on the contract pickup that costco has made with the additive providers. It could be top tier gas from any of the top tier brands, as Costco does not have their own additives.

As as you can see, from a cost perspective, this saves the oil and gas companies billions since they do not have to build, maintain and run their own refineries in every part of the world, they just trade base fuels with other company's refineries.

Last edited by hangman; 04-03-2017 at 04:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hangman:
2fastnow (04-04-2017), Foosh (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 04:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Regardless of who owns them, all refineries sell to virtually all brands. The vast majority of refinery-produced fuel travels via pipeline to storage terminals , and even the products of multiple refineries are often mixed in the pipeline. It's at the local storage terminals, where fuel for the retail outlets of all brands is picked up by tankers. That's where additive packages for are added that are exclusive to Shell, BP, Exxon/Mobil, etc.

I'm not going to look up every oil company, but here is Phillips 66, Valero and Conoco/Phillips refineries. I buy all my gas locally at Phipps 66 and Conoco retailers. The Ponca City refinery isn't that far from me, so there is a chance that my gas comes from Conoco/Phillip's Ponca City refinery(but no guarantee of that, of course).

Conoco/Phillips...

Asia....
Melaka Refinery

Europe.....
Humber refinery
Miro Karlsuhe refinery
Whitegate refinery

Middle East....
Yanbu refinery

USA....
Alliance refinery
Bayway Linden refinery
Billings Phillips 66 refinery
Borger refinery
Ferndale refinery
Lake Charles Phillips 66 refinery
Los Angeles refinery
Ponca City refinery
San Francisco refinery
Sweeny refinery
Wood River refinery

And Valero's refineries....

Ardmore
Benicia
Bill Greehey
Houston
Jean Gaulin
McKee
Memphis
Meraux
Pembroke
Port Arthur
St Charles
Texas City
Three Rivers
Wilmington

And EXXON refineries...

Asia...
Sri Racha refinery
EXXON Singapore refinery
Esso Port Dickson refinery

Japan....
Kauasaki refinery
TG Sakai refinery

Australasia....
Adelaide refinery
Altona refinery
The New Zealand Refinery Company

Europe....
Botlek refinery
ESSO Argusta refinery
EXXON Mobil Antwerp refinery
Fawley Southampton refinery
Fos Sur Mer
Miro Karlsruhe refinery
Port Jerome refinery
Sarpom Trecade Novara refinery
Slagen refinery

Middle East....
Yanbu JV refinery

USA....
baton Rouge refinery
Baytown refinery
Beaumont refinery
Chalmette refinery
EXXON Billings
Joliet refinery
Torrance refinery

Canada....
Dartsmouth refinery
EXXON Sarnia refinery
Nanticoke refinery
Strathcona refinery

South & Central America....
Cuesta del Ploma Managua refinery
Fort de France refinery
Refireria Petrokera de Acajutla refinery

Looks like the "Big Boys" are still "Big Boys". Out of the 46 "Big Boys" in the world(by revenue), EXXON Mobil is rated #5, Royal Dutch Shell is rated #6, BP us rated #8, Valero Energy is rated #12, Chevron is rated #14, Marathon is rated #21, and Conoco Phillips is rated #30. All of those six are Top Tier companies.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-04-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:37 PM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
The reason I think and know it's all the same gas is it's to easy for someone evil to water down the product for a quick profit. How can I prove that I'm right that the gas was bad at some station? So I think there has to be someone watching somewhere.
The big fuel companies like Exxon have there own refinery's. They sell to the independents just like Campbells soup sells private label soup to the food markets...it's all the same.
How can 'lower' tier gas/oil companies have thousands of mini refinery's out there!
So basically you have no actual knowledge on the subject just wild speculation and conspiracy theories. Stay in your lane dude.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:48 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Myster
So basically you have no actual knowledge on the subject just wild speculation and conspiracy theories. Stay in your lane dude.

If you would read for your self they are secondary refinery's for different products like Zmax, or STP, cleaning fluids, plastics refinery, synthetic fabrics, they all get there raw chemicals from the major refinery's then do ever more to it to get what they are selling. Plus they sell basic gasoline with other business names.
I think your weed is cut with nasty...time to change dealers...perhaps a lower 'tier' dealer would do.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,477 Likes on 4,249 Posts

Sorry you are wrong again. There is Octane. Then what is next? Gasoline right. What is top tier? What? they put a special sauce in it to be top tier? You don't know. I wish I can live near you I could make a killing selling you junk. You BELIEVE what ever YOU WANT to read. That's the difference from what I read. Dreamers
The reason I think and know it's all the same gas is it's to easy for someone evil to water down the product for a quick profit. How can I prove that I'm right that the gas was bad at some station? So I think there has to be someone watching somewhere.
The big fuel companies like Exxon have there own refinery's. They sell to the independents just like Campbells soup sells private label soup to the food markets...it's all the same.
How can 'lower' tier gas/oil companies have thousands of mini refinery's out there!
LOL. 2fastnow is a veritable font of misinformation and fantasy. Almost everything he's posted is factually incorrect.

Please post what a link to what you have "read" that proves, or even provides documentation, that Top Tier isn't real, or doesn't provide any actual benefits. I wait with bated breath.

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 04-03-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Actually, gas is delivered via the pipeline to the various terminals in more than "two flavors".

Adding 10% ethanol at the local terminal adds approximately 2 octane points.

When you buy regular grade gas with 10% ethanol that is labeled 87 octane, it was sent from the refinery as 85 octane. But if the gas is 87 octane pure gasoline, then it was shipped from the refinery as 87 octane.

The there is premium. 91 octane E10 is shipped from the refinery as 89 octane, yet 91 octane ethanol free is shipped as 91 octane. Then there is 93 octane E10, it is shipped as 91 octane. And 93 ethanol id shipped as 93 octane from the refinery

As you can see, the various pipelines are distributing gasoline as 85 octane, 87 octane, 89 octane, 91 octane and 93 octane, to cover just "two flavors" of gasoline(regular and premium).

depending on where you live, you can get gasoline in all the various "flavors" I laid out.

Here in Springfield(Missouri requires all "regular" grade gasoline be E10), we have 87 E10, 91 E10, 91 E0, 93 E10 and 93 E0.

That's five different flavors at the local retailer in Springfield, MO, that require four different octane gasolines be delivered from the refineries(85, 89, 91 and 93 octane) to the local terminal where the ethanol is added for the E10 gasolines.

Another state might only have 85 and 89 delivered from the refinery by pipeline, as they only sell 87 E10 and 91 E10 at the local retailer, but if they are allowed to sell ethanol free gasoline at lake marinas, then they might even get a third grade of gasoline(91 octane) delivered from the refinery, so that it is sold at the marinas as 91 octane ethanol free gasoline.

As you can see, the logistics is a little more complicated then just having "two flavors" of gasoline.
That is simply wrong. (At least in Maryland)

The Colonial pipeline carries regular and premium. The ethanol is in the bulk product, and not added at the terminal. The only thing added at all he terminal, is the final additive product.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:17 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

And, that pipeline also sends diesel, kerosene, and #2 fuel oil. Yes only one pipe...lol
Foosh (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I would. I either use 93 or the occasion 91 e0 fill-up. Both work well. At Fall lay-up, I make sure e0 is in the tank. BTW, that was over 5 months this year. First drive was today. We still have snow hanging around!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:24 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

No need to use Kroger 93 as Costco 93 is cheaper and is Top Tier. I only use Top Tier unless not available.

2fast sounds like one of those flat earth guys.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry

The Colonial pipeline carries regular and premium. The ethanol is in the bulk product, and not added at the terminal. The only thing added at all he terminal, is the final additive product.
This doesn’t matter much to most forum readers, but in fact, E10 is not shipped in major pipelines like Colonial. There are too many potential problems with water and corrosion. The refineries produce what’s called BOB (blendstock for oxygenate blending), which does not yet contain ethanol. Its properties are such that when the ethanol is added at the terminal, it will have the correct properties for E10. You cannot simply add ethanol to ethanol-free gas because the resulting vapor pressure would be way too high. Similarly, you cannot make ethanol free gas by not adding ethanol to the BOB because its vapor pressure would be way too low.

So let’s simplify and say a refinery wants to make 4 grades of gas: 87 and 93 octane, with and without ethanol. The approximate properties of the 4 blends that it makes for the pipeline would then be 87 and 93 octane finished gas with vapor pressure about 7, and 85 and 91 octane BOB’s with vapor pressure around 5, which after 10% ethanol is added at the terminal, will make 87 and 93 octane E10 with vapor pressure around 7. Things actually get much messier than that, as there are various types of BOB’s, such as RBOB for areas requiring reformulated gas, CARBOB for areas requiring California spec gas, and different flavors of BOB depending on how much ethanol is to be added, summer/winter vapor pressure spec, etc.

Going back to rrsperry’s comment about Maryland and Colonial, I don’t know the exact setup of terminals and local pipelines in Maryland, so I can’t rule out the possibility that ethanol has been added locally at some point in between main Colonial and an individual terminal in Maryland that he is familiar with. Many people are working to develop procedures and materials to allow transport of fuels with ethanol in pipelines, and some of those efforts may have led to doing that on short segments of local lines. I suppose I can’t even categorically rule out the possibility that main lines have started shipping E10 since I retired. But that would be really big news in the industry, so I did a quick, 10 minute internet search and couldn’t find any indication of such big news.
Foosh (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by nytrorcr
If the truth were known you would be surprised who gets what out of those tankers. I have seen top tier tankers at the same distribution points as well as Generic named tankers. If it says 93 I will use it, providing they sell enough gas so it won't get stale.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate
The quote with which you are agreeing was from very early in the thread. Since then, it has been explained multiple times that the additives are added to the delivery truck separately from the base gas. So it is entirely possible, and in fact happens reasonably often, that a top tier truck gets the very same base gas from the very same spigot as a non-top-tier truck, but the former will get top tier additives while the latter gets minimum standard EPA additives. If you don’t think the added engine cleanliness from top tier is worth the extra price, fine, that’s your business. But don’t keep using the “all from the same pipe” argument to imply that top tier is meaningless. It just makes you look dumb.
Foosh (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 11:51 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rrsperry

Maryland is not the center of the universe. There are pipelines all over the US and what I posted is 100% correct.

Ethanol is not added at the refinery and is not shipped via a pipeline, Ethanol is added at the local terminal, when the gas is loaded into a local tanker to be delivered to the retailer.

From 2013...

"Magellan says pipeline on track to shift to sub-octane by September 15

Houston (Platts)--19 Jul 2013 232 pm EDT/1832 GMT

Magellan Midstream Partners is on track to convert its pipeline system in the Midwest to 84 sub-octane by September 15, a company spokesman said Friday"

"The introduction of a sub-octane or a CBOB-type blendstock reflects the growing adoption of ethanol in the overall US gasoline pool.

The expansion of ethanol terminals with easy access to the pipeline means shippers will be able to add ethanol to V grade to make it ready for retail use.

An 84-octane blendstock would require ethanol added at 10% volume to achieve a final rating of 87 octane."

http://www.platts.com/latest-news/oi...o-sub-21304089

As you can plainly read, the base stock that is shipped by pipeline is 84 octane(some pipeline companies ship 85 octane base stock) and the addition of 10% ethanol at the local terminal raises the octane to 87, which is what is pumped into your car at your local retailer.

For premium gas, say 91 octane at the pump, the base stock that is shipped by pipeline is 89 octane and the addition of 10% ethanol raises the octane to 91.

for ethanol free gasoline the base stock ethanol rating is the same octane rating that is at your local retailer(ie; 87 octane base stock for 87 octane at the pump for regular grade, and 91 octane base stock for 91 octane at the pump, and 93 octane base stock for 93 octane at the pump).

As you an PLAINLY see, there are more than two grades of gasoline that is shipped by pipelines across the USA(again, Maryland is not the center of the universe and what happens in Maryland is not what happens in ALL the other 49 states). Most states have retailers that sell ethanol free gasoline(nearly 12,000 retailers) along with retailers that sell E10 gasoline, thus the base stock that is shipped via pipeline to those states have to carry more than "regular" and "premium" base stock gasoline. The base stock that will be sold as E10 at the retailer is different from the base stack that will be sold as pure-gas(ethanol free) at the retailer.

You should rear this for all the different gasolines that colonial Pipeline ships...

http://www.colpipe.com/docs/default-...ifications.pdf

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-04-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:01 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

So what do you do?

Drive 10 extra miles for Top Tier gas, drive back home and park it in the garage.

Pull it out, wash it, back it back in and stare at it.

Put at least 1500 mi. a year on it.

Maybe Top Tier gas needs Sta-bil in it as well.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 PM
RVC
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I fill my **** up with Crown Royal Vanilla....so there.

Get notified of new replies

To 93 Octane at Kroger's-would you use it in your C7 Z06

Old 04-04-2017, 12:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dndrsn
So what do you do?

Drive 10 extra miles for Top Tier gas, drive back home and park it in the garage.

Pull it out, wash it, back it back in and stare at it.

Put at least 1500 mi. a year on it.

Maybe Top Tier gas needs Sta-bil in it as well.
I don't know about you, but there are two Top Tier retailers located within one mile of my house and they are located on the street I drive on to go to town. In all four directions from my house, I drive right by a Top Tier retailer. There are no shortage of Top Tier retailers in Springfield, MO. Whenever I'm on a trip, I have zero problems finding Top Tier retailers without having to make a special out of the way detour to find one.

If you are having problems finding a Top Tier retailer near you, then you probably live out in the sticks. When ever I drive any one of my four cars(three being Corvettes), I stop at my local Top Tier retailer(that sells ethanol free gasoline) on the way back home, thus when I park my cars in my garage, they are full of Top Tier gasoline(without that damn ethanol in it). I make no special 10 mile trips just to get Top Tier gasoline before parking my cars in my garage.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-04-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:18 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

There is no regulations on how much 'additives' are being added. EPA doesn't regulate that. For all we know they're putting a quart of 'special sauce' per million gallons.
I've read so many 'facts' about synthetic oils lasting a million miles with no signs of wear on diesel motors to straight e85 fuel for 150,000 miles etc with not even a worn gasket.
It would cost trillions to test the B. S. claims coming out per hour on products these days. It's sickening
And i'm not going to believe that the fuel they sell is so special either. Oil companies cut the biggest checks to government re elections committee's for me to trust any of it.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

There is no regulations on how much 'additives' are being added. EPA doesn't regulate that. For all we know they're putting a quart of 'special sauce' per million gallons.
I've read so many 'facts' about synthetic oils lasting a million miles with no signs of wear on diesel motors to straight e85 fuel for 150,000 miles etc with not even a worn gasket.
It would cost trillions to test the B. S. claims coming out per hour on products these days. It's sickening
And i'm not going to believe that the fuel they sell is so special either. Oil companies cut the biggest checks to government re elections committee's for me to trust any of it.

You are wrong. The EPA does regulate the minimum amount of additives in gasoline. The Top Tier companies(like Marathon) add more additives above what the EPA calls for.

http://www.marathonpetroleum.com/bra...and_Gasolines/

"Deposits in engines can reduce fuel economy. Compared to gasolines using only the minimum EPA required dose of detergent additives, Marathon gasolines with STP additives can increase fuel efficiency by improving the cleanliness of an engine’s intake valves."

And this footnote...

"1Compared to gasolines containing the lowest additive concentration required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, pursuant to 40 CFR Part 80 and Section 211 (1) of the Clean Air Act.'

And.........

"Federal Gasoline Regulations
The Clean Air Act requires EPA to regulate fuels and fuel additives for use in motor vehicle, motor vehicle engine, or nonroad engine or nonroad vehicle if such fuel, fuel additive or any emission products causes or contributes to air or water pollution that may endanger the public health or welfare. EPA must also address emission products of such fuel or fuel additives that may impair any emission control devices used on vehicles or engines to reduce harmful emissions.
Gasoline regulations are under 40 CFR Part 80 (“Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives”): subparts A (general provisions, applying to all 40 CFR Part 890 fuels programs), B (controls and prohibitions), C (oxygenated gasoline), D & E (reformulated gasoline), G (detergent gasoline program), H & O (gasoline sulfur) and J & L (gasoline toxics)."

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standar...ne-regulations

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-04-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 Octane at Kroger's-would you use it in your C7 Z06