C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've made my decision on buying a C7 Stingray....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 01:20 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
If he makes $65k, he should still be able to own a Vette, live on his own if he wants and still save money for the future.

My mature financial advice is to do what you need to do to skip getting married or having any kids till later...or never. I never had kids or got married, which allows me to be a slacker partying into my mid 40s.
I waited until I was 40 And (rich enough to afford) to have a kid.
Wish I did it when I was 20 and struggled like my brothers. I'm now retired and stuck babysitting.

Last edited by jaden61; 04-06-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:23 PM
1stTimeforEverything
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

Brohman, there will always be folks that want to rain on your parade, but in the end, it is you that makes the decision. Take their comments and put them where they belong. You feel like you can swing it, are excited about it, so go for it. If you find out later that you made a little mistake, you learn and go on. That's life.

I ordered a car many years ago, and had similar concerns like you, and actually sweat bullets for a few weeks. But when the car arrived, I learned the bullets were wasted and I really enjoyed the car (70 Charger RT -- yeh, I am ancient). I can feel your excitement!
The following users liked this post:
cor28vettes (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:31 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by jaden61
I say, Awesome. Be safe. You have a faster car than many people, don't need to prove it.
Go to the Corvette Owners School with the discount they provide, makes it a great deal and a valuable learning experience.
https://www.springmountainmotorsport...-owners-school

Yes... If you buy new you have to sign up for Spring Mtn. Freakin' cool. I
I've probably said this before, but it's a bucket list item you didn't know should be on your bucket list till you do it. Of course the problem with this is you get bitten by the road course bug and want to track more. This of course costs lots of money.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I think it is good decision! Enjoy it!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve318a
Wow, this is brutal.

Brohman - good for you for staying positive. Enjoy the car when you get it.
Thank you!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkhegler
Time to get out from under mommy and daddy's wing and make your own way.
Nah I think I'll do it the smart way and not the "social norm" way and have a few million dollars in my bank account by the time I'm your age
Old 04-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Truth is sometimes a brutal wake up. Frankly, I would be ashamed to be 23 and sponge off of my folks just to drive a new C7. Just how I was brought up.
unfortunately sir, I could care less how you were raised. I'm gonna do this smart and live a life I enjoy all while still saving a ton of funds for the future. I'm not gonna be on my death bed with regrets. Enjoy whatever it is you find so fulfilling my friend
MG120 (01-21-2020)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1stTimeforEverything
Brohman, there will always be folks that want to rain on your parade, but in the end, it is you that makes the decision. Take their comments and put them where they belong. You feel like you can swing it, are excited about it, so go for it. If you find out later that you made a little mistake, you learn and go on. That's life.

I ordered a car many years ago, and had similar concerns like you, and actually sweat bullets for a few weeks. But when the car arrived, I learned the bullets were wasted and I really enjoyed the car (70 Charger RT -- yeh, I am ancient). I can feel your excitement!
yup you're very right. Thanks for the support!
Old 04-06-2017, 02:08 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

If the kid has a chance to get a head start in life and his parents support it, why would you insult him? It sounds like some of yall are bitter that you dont have such supportive parents as his. I also agree with one post where he states why the hell would one want to buy a corvette to enjoy at the age of 70 when they have a chance to do so at a younger age? Not that theres anything wrong with older people driving them. Go for it and live it up! I wish you even more success in your future. On a completely seperate note, may i ask what ethnicity are you op?
Old 04-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by AceG
If the kid has a chance to get a head start in life and his parents support it, why would you insult him? It sounds like some of yall are bitter that you dont have such supportive parents as his. I also agree with one post where he states why the hell would one want to buy a corvette to enjoy at the age of 70 when they have a chance to do so at a younger age? Not that theres anything wrong with older people driving them. Go for it and live it up! I wish you even more success in your future. On a completely seperate note, may i ask what ethnicity are you op?
yeah sure! I'm a white/Caucasian (or whatever politically correct name you wanna give it) male.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:11 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I partied on my own dime with Uncle Sam at age 23. The OP can bring his vette chicks back to his parents house to really impress them.

Just trying to give a little well intended, mature financial advice.
Wow, so your options are....
A) live with your parents for free,
B) go out and spend a lot of money to live on your own.

And you consider B to be the better financial advice?
Old 04-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by jschindler

hahaha seems to be
Old 04-06-2017, 02:38 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
You repeatedly say that is your intent, but your approach sucks. The repeated "mommy and daddy" references are insulting and do nothing but place you in ignore status.
Originally Posted by jschindler

Sponging off of your parents at age 23 is ludicrous. The real lesson in life is learning to be self sufficient and independent. It is by far the best learning tool.

Last edited by rkhegler; 04-06-2017 at 02:40 PM.
ratvet (02-08-2020)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Sponging off of your parents at age 23 is ludicrous. The real lesson in life is learning to be self sufficient and independent. It is by far the best learning tool.
Definition of sponging: remaining under the wing of your parents and mooching off of their money.
Definition of being smart: taking advantage financially of the fact that my parents want me to leave the house with best money situation possible all while enjoying life with a Corvette. Please if you're going to comment, stop stating the same false argument you find so fascinating lol
Old 04-06-2017, 04:39 PM
jclarksnakes
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

$80k is not a salary that will support a huge car payment when you figure in taxes, Insurance and other necessary living expenses.
I would bet that there are plenty of people driving C7 Corvettes with a salary less than $80K.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:16 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
I would bet that there are plenty of people driving C7 Corvettes with a salary less than $80K.
Not many of them 23 years old and living off of their parents.
ratvet (02-08-2020)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:17 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

So you are just picking an age that fits your lifestyle. This is a trend that is becoming more and more common. Much of it probably stems from student loans.

I have no doubt that you mean well. But like I have said earlier, every situation is different.

Get notified of new replies

To I've made my decision on buying a C7 Stingray....

Old 04-06-2017, 05:31 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Not many of them 23 years old and living off of their parents.
If the guy did not go to school, did not have a job, and sat around playing video games and sleeping all day I would agree.

But he is hardly living off his parents. He paid off his first car himself, put himself through school and is paying the loan, and is putting half down on a Corvette. He discussed the car purchase with his parents and they are okay with it. None of this screams irresponsible millennial to me.

Last edited by thill444; 04-06-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:35 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Brohman21
Definition of sponging: remaining under the wing of your parents and mooching off of their money.
Definition of being smart: taking advantage financially of the fact that my parents want me to leave the house with best money situation possible all while enjoying life with a Corvette. Please if you're going to comment, stop stating the same false argument you find so fascinating lol
At some point, life will inevitably throw you one hell of a curve ball, at a time when you least expect it. Most have gone though setbacks. No one will be there to bail you out. You had better prepare yourself. My argument is not false. You are living in the youthful fantasy of lala land with your future plans. Time for you to grow up and face the reality of life.
ratvet (02-08-2020)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

At some point, life will inevitably throw you one hell of a curve ball, at a time when you least expect it. Most have gone though setbacks. No one will be there to bail you out. You had better prepare yourself. My argument is not false. You are living in the youthful fantasy of lala land with your future plans. Time for you to grow up and face the reality of life.
you ever think maybe I'm smarter than most common people? You're argument is false because you know nothing about my life and how I save/use money. My grandfather made 40k a year as an accountant and is now a multimillionaire because of how he lived his life and used his money. He had a pleathora of sports cars and is now a millionaire. Just because it may have been too hard for you or that you think that some horrible "reality" is coming doesn't mean that's how it is for me. Maybe those harsh realities are a piece of cake for me to handle. You know nothing about me so yes, your argument is false because you're basing it on your own experience. I'm a different human with different skills.
jschindler (04-07-2017)

Quick Reply: I've made my decision on buying a C7 Stingray....