C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've made my decision on buying a C7 Stingray....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
As I said previously, truth sometimes comes in a hard package. Just trying to save the OP some future headaches.
I appreciate that however; you don't think I've gone over all of those scenarios? You don't get into medicine and succeed being an immature child that is in "la la land". Lol
Old 04-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by thill444
If the guy did not go to school, did not have a job, and sat around playing video games and sleeping all day I would agree.

But he is hardly living off his parents. He paid off his first car himself, put himself through school and is paying the loan, and is putting half down on a Corvette. He discussed the car purchase with his parents and they are okay with it. None of this screams irresponsible millennial to me.
thank you. Good God. Lol
Old 04-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by mythird1
oh, and i lived with my parents then as well.... :d

niceeeee!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 PM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Expensive car

Originally Posted by Brohman21
Alright so I've made my decision. I'm going to finance 25k of the 2017 C7 Corvette Stingray in about 4-5 months after school. I'm gonna save up about 30k in cash and finance the rest. I think after reading almost 200 comments from you guys giving me INCREDIBLE advice, I'm seeing a pattern of "I can afford it and I'll regret it when I'm retired if I don't buy it now". I really have felt welcomed into the corvette family by you guys and I think it's awesome! Just that alone has helped me in my decision. I love seeing people that share my passion as well! Again I'm a 23 year old guy and I'm about to finish a medical program in Vascular Sonography starting at at least 65k a year. I have a possible job lined up for about 80k a year. I currently live with my parents and they don't want me to leave. We have a very close relationship and they LOVE the Corvette idea. They want me to save up as much money as I can before it's absolutely necassary that I get my own place. Besides my $150 per month school payment and the Corvette expenses, all of my left over will go straight into my bank account. One last thing, I can't wait to see some of you fellas on the road! Any thoughts/comments!?!
thanks!
Jamie
Do what I did last summer,buy a Subaru STI.Twice the car for half the money.Plus it won't breakdown
Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

You have a great plan. Just remember to have some funds to have some fun. A Vette can only do so much!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
You have a great plan. Just remember to have some funds to have some fun. A Vette can only do so much!!!
true that! Thanks!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigKitty
Do what I did last summer,buy a Subaru STI.Twice the car for half the money.Plus it won't breakdown
if I were to get anything it that class it would be the new supercharged Civic type R
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKitty
As an owner of three generations of WRX/STI I have to say you are wrong. The EJ engine in the previous and current generation STI is notorious for ringland failure. I personally know three 2015+ STI's that had to have rebuilt engines due to ringland failure. Two were bonestock and the other one was stage 1. All of them under 20K miles. Subaru continues to deny there is an issue and will often try to deny warranty claims for this for any reason they can find. This has been going on for years.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Good decision kid.

Enjoy. Do spring for the Z51 if you're not going GS.

You will increase your odds of getting laid 500% too. Either that all all the girls will ignore you because they'll assume anyone driving a C7 has to be 50+ like most of us here.

Get a stick.

Originally Posted by patentcad
Get a stick.
Wait. You're a millennial. Can you drive a stick?

My 23 year old daughter doesn't drive stick.

Hey wait, you're going to be a doctor. You better hope Mrs. Pcad doesn't read this thread kid, she'll try to hook you up with our kid.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-06-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 04-06-2017, 08:17 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
Good decision kid.

Enjoy. Do spring for the Z51 if you're not going GS.

You will increase your odds of getting laid 500% too. Either that all all the girls will ignore you because they'll assume anyone driving a C7 has to be 50+ like most of us here.

Get a stick.
And, their own pad.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Truth is sometimes a brutal wake up. Frankly, I would be ashamed to be 23 and sponge off of my folks just to drive a new C7. Just how I was brought up.
As I said previously, truth sometimes comes in a hard package. Just trying to save the OP some future headaches.
Sponging off of your parents at age 23 is ludicrous. The real lesson in life is learning to be self sufficient and independent. It is by far the best learning tool.
Not many of them 23 years old and living off of their parents.
At some point, life will inevitably throw you one hell of a curve ball, at a time when you least expect it. Most have gone though setbacks. No one will be there to bail you out. You had better prepare yourself. My argument is not false. You are living in the youthful fantasy of lala land with your future plans. Time for you to grow up and face the reality of life.
You are the epitome of self rationalization. And no, based on your idiotic concept of mooching off of your parents while you drive around in your unpaid and financed C7, do I think you are smart---period. I would be willing to bet your grandfather did not make his millions freeloading from his parents. If he started with 40k per year and ended up with millions, he was a pretty hard charger. Something you need to take notes following his example.

You are on the wrong side of this discussion.
You just don't know when to give it a rest, do you?
The following 2 users liked this post by mpuzach:
jschindler (04-07-2017), KDB0925 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 09:17 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
You just don't know when to give it a rest, do you?
Is anything I posted untrue?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:41 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

$25K is really reasonable amount to finance. You're fortunate to have $30K to put down. Do it and you won't regret it!!

Edit: my son is on a similar path. will have a C7 in 2018 when he is still 18. But he is enlisted and goes to Basic in July while he is still 17. His only goal right now is to successfully complete basic and AIT before he makes the purchase. The kid is a badass!

Last edited by berk4422; 04-06-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Brohman21
Alright so I've made my decision. I'm going to finance 25k of the 2017 C7 Corvette Stingray in about 4-5 months after school. I'm gonna save up about 30k in cash and finance the rest. I think after reading almost 200 comments from you guys giving me INCREDIBLE advice, I'm seeing a pattern of "I can afford it and I'll regret it when I'm retired if I don't buy it now". I really have felt welcomed into the corvette family by you guys and I think it's awesome! Just that alone has helped me in my decision. I love seeing people that share my passion as well! Again I'm a 23 year old guy and I'm about to finish a medical program in Vascular Sonography starting at at least 65k a year. I have a possible job lined up for about 80k a year. I currently live with my parents and they don't want me to leave. We have a very close relationship and they LOVE the Corvette idea. They want me to save up as much money as I can before it's absolutely necassary that I get my own place. Besides my $150 per month school payment and the Corvette expenses, all of my left over will go straight into my bank account. One last thing, I can't wait to see some of you fellas on the road! Any thoughts/comments!?!
thanks!
Jamie
Comments or thoughts? Yup, post some damn photos! My prediction. You will not regret the decision.

Just make sure you start contributing to a 401k 403b or IRA as soon as you can and at minimum max out your employees contribution. You have time on your side and that will make all the difference in how that investment grows.

You will be fine especially with a supportive family that obviously recognize the hard work you have put in to get your education and take your first step into the 'real' world. Get the car and then set your site's on your next goal and get it done.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:13 PM
ZorenZ51
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Hi OP here is my advise to you why buy a brand new Corvette? How long do you think you can raise 30K cash? Do you even have plans of having a family of your own in the future?

My advise get a used GS or any model you like about probably 2-3 years old with low mileage, the nice thing about Corvette, most owners have other beater cars to drive and they use the Corvette just for weekend recreational fun stuff such as car shows,, weekend cruise with fellow retirees.

What am I talking about, it's the law of depreciation, you save up a lot of money by buying a 2-3 year old Vett GS, Z51 or Z06. As the previous owner have already payed 20 to 30% of the depreciation cost of the car.

You don't even need to put in that much cash either. The most possibly around 10k then finance the rest of the remaining balance through the bank and every year during your tax refund put in a little bit more towards the principal. If you intend to shorten finance term of the loan.

Make use of the remaining cash into an investment plan to earn more money. Then get a wealthy girlfriend and the rest is all up to you.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:54 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Is anything I posted untrue?
all of your post were untrue. just your opinion. maybe true in your world...
one thing for sure, you will never be taken seriously or knowledgeable by people following this thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by kitesurfer:
Foosh (04-07-2017), mpuzach (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 08:08 AM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by kitesurfer
all of your post were untrue. Just your opinion. Maybe true in your world...
One thing for sure, you will never bye taken seriously or knowledgeable by people following this thread.
truth.

Get notified of new replies

To I've made my decision on buying a C7 Stingray....

Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

And, their own pad.
Get off my lawn fatso.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Old 04-07-2017, 01:17 PM
konqueror5
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm 28 and just bought a Stingray. When I was 23 my first job took me out of state or I would have stayed at my parents for a year and saved THOUSANDS.

I did Engineering, not med school, but I understand a challenging course load. Happy you can get what you want at a young age, that is why we worked so hard in school.

I agree that buying used is a good idea but at the end of the day it is your money and your decision.

I'm married so doesn't affect me but what are you going to do with all the attention from the ladies while you still live at your parents house, vettes don't have backseats lol

Quick Reply: I've made my decision on buying a C7 Stingray....