Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:45 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Default GM will pay for three oil changes and Mobil 1 2016-2017 select models

I saw this from GM:

Reference Number: GCUS-9-3807

Reminder - 2016/2017MY - Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 Corvettes –Required Maintenance/Chevrolet Complete Care
Chevrolet Complete Care: 2016/2017MY Corvette Maintenance Requirements
Since 2014, the required maintenance schedule for all Stingrays with Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems was updated to require that the oil/oil filter be changed immediately after the break-in period (which occurs after the first 500 miles of operation). Once this break-in oil change is performed and the Oil Life Monitoring system is reset, customers are to follow the Oil Life Monitoring system indicator for all future oil change needs.
As you are aware, 2016/2017MY Chevrolet vehicles come with Chevrolet Complete Care coverage, which covers up to 2 select required maintenance events within the first 2 years/24,000 miles of ownership. With the requirement of the break-in oil change (Stingray with Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems), Complete Care coverage for all Corvettes is increased to 3 Included Maintenance events within the first 2 years/24,000 miles of ownership, whichever occurs first.
2017 Corvette Maintenance Schedule - Normal:

The Chevrolet Complete Care program for Corvettes was designed to take into account the preference many Corvette owners have for Mobil 1 oil. As a reminder, Dealerships are required to use Mobil 1 when performing oil changes on all 2014-2017MY Corvettes serviced under the Chevrolet Complete Care program as current program reimbursement levels are based on Mobil 1 usage.
Please ensure all dealership personnel are familiar with the parameters of the Chevrolet Complete Care program as related to Corvettes.
The following 2 users liked this post by tome:
hearingvoices (04-09-2017), vetteorama (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 03:07 AM
STINGmole
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 153 Posts

It calls out the Z51, GS and Z06, but then says coverage for ALL Corvettes is increased to 3 included events. I wonder if that means the base Stingray can get 3 oil changes?
The following users liked this post:
hearingvoices (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^^
This question has been raised about this Memo that conflicts with the Owner's Manual AND what some dealers have quoted.

In additon some servcie folks will argue that since the oil fill cap says "dexos" (which is not an oil rather a GM spec) they use any GM approved oil including blends that have that spec (there are ~100.) IMO the issue is probably the low cost oil blend they have in 55 gallon drums in the oil change bay!

Also keep in mind that at some dealerships the mechanics helper who often work the oil change bay can either just pull the trigger on the gun that pumps oil from a 55 gallon drum of an oil blend (used for 99% of the cars/trucks they work on) or go to the parts department and sign for 10 quarts of Mobil one, bring it back to the work station and then need to use a funnel!

Worth a try to get 3 if you have a wet sump but don't be surprised if even a quality dealer service department indicates GM only reimburses them for 2!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-09-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:42 AM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Am I the only one that received this from their dealer? Makes me think I must be very special that they created and sent this just to me.

It really doesn't get much more cut and dried than this. It is in plan American English.

I know there are a lot of words here but if you take the 30 seconds to actually read them. All of these questions will be answered. YEP it even says "Always use Mobile 1".
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by GR Jay:
13brv3 (04-09-2017), DAC17 (04-09-2017), hearingvoices (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 09:08 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GR Jay

It really doesn't get much more cut and dried than this. It is in plan American English.
Interesting, read what you wish, BUT in bold above the table it CLEARLY says in English: "Dry Sump Engines Only (Stingray Z51, Grand Sport and Z06) Require Initial break-in oil change after the first 500 miles!" Same words as in the 2017 Owner's Manual.

Always suspicious when it doesn't match the Owner's Manual that clearly says the 500 mile change is for dry sumps (and there is a GM Bulletin that says why; silicone from curing seals MAY cause depletion of the antifoam agents in the first oil fill. In a dry sump that oil foam MAY come out with the burped air from the dry sump tank to the air intake tube. It MAY soak the air filter and drip on the ground. No burped air in a wet sump-no need!) In addition there is no such thing (or at least was no such thing) as break-in oil, it's all the same Mobil 1 and has been for years!

Only my opinion but that is some copywriter error! But hay, if you have a wet sump and can get the Service Manager to agree-go for it!

PS: In addition there is anther conflict. It says in the table heading, "Follow the Oil Life System for every oil change thereafter (after the 500 mile change.) Therefore the 7500 and 15000 mile change checked boxes are bogus. If you put on far few miles in the first year the OLM will say to change as it uses a calendar and after 12 months from when it was reset it says change even if the car was driven only 1000 miles! If you look at the 2017 Owner's Manual, page 309, it appears they just shortened what it says in the box. At 7500 and 15,000 miles it says check the oil life monitor percentage and IF NEEDED change oil and filter.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-09-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:34 AM
13brv3
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GR Jay
Am I the only one that received this from their dealer? Makes me think I must be very special that they created and sent this just to me.

I know there are a lot of words here but if you take the 30 seconds to actually read them. All of these questions will be answered. YEP it even says "Always use Mobile 1".
That's a great find, but I'm having trouble finding it. I looked through all the booklets that are in my glove box, and all the other papers, but I don't see this. What does the front of the booklet look like, or what is the title of it?

I can see in the bottom right that it has a date and probably a document number. I got my 2017 in November, so well before the 03-03-17 date in the booklet picture. Google hasn't found the document number anywhere, and the GM complete care site online doesn't seem to give me links to similar documents.

Being able to put this on the desk in front of the service writer would likely end all arguments over using Mobile 1. They used it for my 500 mile change because they specifically agreed to it, but told me they wouldn't do it again using the "oil cap says Dexos" argument.

Thanks,
Rusty

Last edited by 13brv3; 04-09-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:18 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

What is the "Dexos Argument"?
Dexos is a spec. not a brand.
Almost all synthetics are Dexos approved, so it does not mean only the GM synthetic BLEND is approved.
Truth is, you are not going to have an oil related engine failure no matter which you use.

Actually, I use Valvoline Synpower in all my cars which has its own 300,000 mile guarantee against oil related engine failures.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 04-09-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Dexos is a spec. not a brand.
Almost all synthetics are Dexos approved, so it does not mean only the GM synthetic BLEND is approved.
Truth is, you are not going to have an oil related engine failure no matter which you use.

Actually, I use Valvoline Synpower in all my cars which has its own 300,000 mile guarantee against oil related engine failures.
May have missed the point.
This is from the GM dexos website (note it's a small "d") :

dexos® Licensing Program
"GM Global Propulsion Systems engineers developed the dexos® engine oil specification to meet the increasing demands of today’s engines. ..... GM wants to make sure that every GM vehicle anywhere in the world has access to the highest quality oil formulated specifically for GM engines."

They list 78 oil brands/names that meet the dexos spec and pay them "tribute" to do so! Just like folks pay API (American Petroleum Institute) a few cents per quart to list that it meets their standard! SOME OF THOSE 78 ARE BLENDS NOT FULL SYNTHETIC! GM doesn't make oil, sure there are some sold that they buy and have their brands names on but it has nothing to do with the dexos spec other than they obliviously would only buy oil meeting their spec, even blends!

A service manger runs his operation to make a profit (and is compensated for doing that,) so why not buy the least expensive one of those 78 oils meeting the dexos spec you can get. Also argue if it works, "Your fill cap says dexos!" However they get reimbursed by GM for using Mobil 1 in Vettes. Frankly it's that GM bulletin I would use NOT some piece of literature. The bulletin has been posted on the forum.

I buy my dexos approved Mobil 1 at Walmart and with a rebate paid $3/quart for my 10 quarts ready for the 500 mile change in my Grand Sport as soon as its delivered and reaches those miles!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-09-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:37 PM
13brv3
Racer

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Many dealers, including mine, point to the oil cap which says Dexos, and they say they can use any Dexos approved oil. They say they only use Mobile 1 if it specifically says that on the oil cap. The manual, and a gold sticker under the hood both say Mobile 1 is recommended, but they glossed over that.

Of course you can buy an oil cap that says Mobile 1, and I wonder what they'd say if I did that before I went in next time

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 04-09-2017, 07:02 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 13brv3
Many dealers, including mine, point to the oil cap which says Dexos, and they say they can use any Dexos approved oil. They say they only use Mobile 1 if it specifically says that on the oil cap. The manual, and a gold sticker under the hood both say Mobile 1 is recommended, but they glossed over that.

Of course you can buy an oil cap that says Mobile 1, and I wonder what they'd say if I did that before I went in next time

Cheers,
Rusty
If the dealer is determined to use the 55 gallon drums of the "Oh-So-Peachy" brand of the cheapest dexos approved oil blend he bought for the oil change bay and the mechanics helper in that work station would rather pull a trigger on the pump gun to fill your car from the 55 gallon drum rather than go to parts department and drag quart bottles of more expensive Mobil 1 --you'll need more than a cap, IMO!

Searched and found the GM Bulletin that says what the dealer is supposed to do and MOST IMPORTANT it states the dealer is reimbursed by GM for Mobil 1. Here is what I found, bring that with you!

Bring this with you-it has the GM doc number the dealer can look up. I underlined key points in red. If they won't agree with that find another dealer!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-09-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:45 AM
13brv3
Racer

I've seen that document before, but the problem is that I have a 2017, and that document doesn't address 2017. There was an updated version, but they only changed the year in one place, and the rest of the doc said 2016 so it was still pretty ambiguous.

I can easily change the oil myself, probably in less time than it takes to go to the dealership, so it's not that big of a deal to me really.

Thanks,
Rusty
Old 04-10-2017, 01:03 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 13brv3
I've seen that document before, but the problem is that I have a 2017, and that document doesn't address 2017. There was an updated version, but they only changed the year in one place, and the rest of the doc said 2016 so it was still pretty ambiguous.

I can easily change the oil myself, probably in less time than it takes to go to the dealership, so it's not that big of a deal to me really.

Thanks,
Rusty
I hadn't seen before, but this version was just sent out by GM the day I posted it. It does address 2017 in the first line."
"Reminder - 2016/2017MY - Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 Corvettes –Required Maintenance/Chevrolet Complete Care

Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 PM
TorchRedZ
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
I hadn't seen before, but this version was just sent out by GM the day I posted it. It does address 2017 in the first line."
"Reminder - 2016/2017MY - Z51, Grand Sport and Z06 Corvettes –Required Maintenance/Chevrolet Complete Care

Where do you find this document "Reference Number: GCUS-9-3807"? I would like to print it out before going in for the oil change. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:32 PM
TOMZE
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedZ
Where do you find this document "Reference Number: GCUS-9-3807"? I would like to print it out before going in for the oil change. Thanks.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ette-1311.html

Print using the "PRINT ARTICLE" icon at the bottom of the article.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:52 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

I have a 2017 (non-Z51 with a WET sump) Stingray 2LT. I picked it up February 1st and crossed 1200 miles today. My oil life monitor says I have 80 percent left. Mathematically, that says that I should be due for my first oil change at roughly 4,000 miles. I assume that will be sometime in late fall.

Since I don't have the "dry sump" in my car, is that a good interval? I always use Mobil-1 in other vehicles and change it every 4,000 to 5,000 miles (although I know I could go much, much longer). This is my first Corvette - so I figured others here might have good insight.

Since GM covers the first two oil changes, that would probably be one a year for me because I don't plan to put more than 5,000 miles a year on my 'Vette. (I have a 2015 Altima that serves as my DD.)

I have done my own oil & filter changes and always use synthetic (usually Mobil-1). The biggest problem with the 'Vette will be getting under it. I have a floor jack, but will have to invest in a set of pucks (or ramps) in order to lift it. I assume that the drain plug and filter are similar in placement to my old V8 Silverado - fairly easy to access from underneath.

As others here have said, you can buy Mobil-1 at Wal-Mart or Costco at a very good price. I suppose the wet-sump Corvette 6.2L holds six quarts (with filter change). Is that correct? I am too lazy to go out in the garage to check the owner's guide.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:18 PM
nhz51
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

My guess it depends on dealer. I have a non z51 and Macmulkin did a free 500 mile change. I still have 2 free ones left as part of the maintenance program.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JK 23112

I have a 2017 (non-Z51 with a WET sump) Stingray 2LT. I picked it up February 1st and crossed 1200 miles today. My oil life monitor says I have 80 percent left. Mathematically, that says that I should be due for my first oil change at roughly 4,000 miles. I assume that will be sometime in late fall.

Since I don't have the "dry sump" in my car, is that a good interval? I always use Mobil-1 in other vehicles and change it every 4,000 to 5,000 miles (although I know I could go much, much longer). This is my first Corvette - so I figured others here might have good insight.

Since GM covers the first two oil changes, that would probably be one a year for me because I don't plan to put more than 5,000 miles a year on my 'Vette. (I have a 2015 Altima that serves as my DD.)

I have done my own oil & filter changes and always use synthetic (usually Mobil-1). The biggest problem with the 'Vette will be getting under it. I have a floor jack, but will have to invest in a set of pucks (or ramps) in order to lift it. I assume that the drain plug and filter are similar in placement to my old V8 Silverado - fairly easy to access from underneath.

As others here have said, you can buy Mobil-1 at Wal-Mart or Costco at a very good price. I suppose the wet-sump Corvette 6.2L holds six quarts (with filter change). Is that correct? I am too lazy to go out in the garage to check the owner's guide.
Answers in reverse order:
Download the Owner's manual as a PDF it's searchable.

I just did and it's 6.6 quarts with filter but check the level don't go by volume.

Yep, I change my own, just paid $26 for 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 and Mobil has a $12 rebate/quart, 2 quarts allowed (usually have that twice per year.) Jugs are significantly cheaper than buying in quarts. That's $3 quart after the rebate.

Invest in pucks you'll also need it changing tires etc. I'd suggest Reverse Logic they are a forum advertiser. You can keep them in the car as I do because if you get a flat the dealer or tire shop might not have them or at a dealer the mechanic may be too lazy to check them out of the tool crib and you have a good chance of cracking the rocker panels!

The OLM algorithm is much more complex than miles driven, in fact it uses revolutions not miles. If you make mostly short trips, which does not get the oil hot to burn off cold engines start blow-by, it will say to change sooner than if most miles were highway driving etc. But don't worry about keeping track of time, the C7 algorithm does that for you. Regardless of "miles" it will say change in one year. If parked for 6 months after an oil change it will show 50% left once you start the engine!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-17-2017 at 02:03 AM.
JK 23112 (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:25 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Side note, the free changes expire after 2 years.
JK 23112 (04-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To GM will pay for three oil changes and Mobil 1 2016-2017 select models

Quick Reply: GM will pay for three oil changes and Mobil 1 2016-2017 select models