C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the horn chirp when door is closed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Two causes:

1) Your car is instigating a street race
2) A Mustang has died
The following users liked this post:
FLATJ (05-18-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Try disabling auto lock. Mine has never once chirped, and I prefer locking the door w/ the fob button, so it's only locked when I want it to be.
I don't use auto lock and mine sometimes chirps whe fob is in pocket but not always.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 AM
51 stovebolt
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My car does this all the time, but it does it when I get into the car and close the door. Don't know what my settings are, don't think I have auto lock set!! But now that its mentioned it does it mostly while I'm getting gas and probably never close the door when I get out so when I re-enter and close the door with my key fob in my pocket the car actually thinks I am exiting the vehicle and senses the fob in the car?
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

FRODO has the solution------keep fob in your left pocket. This 'problem' goes back to the C6's. Back then someone posted the left pocket solution and we all thought he was crazy. However, we tried it, and IT WORKED. I very rarely get the 3 beeps, versus before moving to the left pocket it was easily 50% of the time and 95% when exiting the car in my narrow garage.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Interesting . . . I guess that explains why I never hear 3 beeps, as my left pocket is always where mine is.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by nytrorcr
I must have a free FOB in my car....Mine has done this since new, I just let it keep doing this cause I will check my pocket every time just to be sure it's still in my pocket.
You should have been given 2 fobs when you got the car. You know where one is. Where's the other?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:14 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by owc6
Autolock and fob alert are two different things in settings
Yes and AFAICT they have two different sounds. One's a single chirp (autolock - not as sure about this since this is one of the first things I turned off) and the other, fob alert, which is 3 quick chirps. Which one is the OP having a problem with?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:17 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by funz06
FRODO has the solution------keep fob in your left pocket. This 'problem' goes back to the C6's. Back then someone posted the left pocket solution and we all thought he was crazy. However, we tried it, and IT WORKED. I very rarely get the 3 beeps, versus before moving to the left pocket it was easily 50% of the time and 95% when exiting the car in my narrow garage.
I don't really pay attention to which pocket my fob is in - left or right - who cares. I've never had it chirp unless the fob was actually in the car. Just the other day it chirped 3 times. I opened the drivers door and viola, my fob had fallen out of my shorts and was sitting right on the seat. That's the way it's supposed to work.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:43 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

What if you put the fob on the windshield near the wiper to see if it chirps?
Old 04-12-2017, 06:35 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

I have noticed that if I turn off the car, exit the car and leave the door open for more that maybe a minute, as checking the mailbox or moving something out of the driveway, and then get back in the car, when I close the door I get the chirps. The Fob is in my right pocket (usually my blue jeans 5th pocket) and I'm just guessing the car is thinking I left Fob in the car. Like I said, I have to exit the car, leave the door open for more that a few seconds. AFAIK this is the only time it happens.

-Mickey

Last edited by MickP; 04-12-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 AM
lynndm
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm the OP and I purposely didn't want to respond till I drove my car again to be sure exactly what it was doing. So often it was happening and catching me off guard when I was concentrating on something else and wasn't exactly sure the exact sequence of events. Now I am.
The horn chirps 2 or 3 times so quickly I can't tell exactly how many, but definitely not just one. It only happens when getting into the car and shutting the door with only one FOB in my pocket and the other in my house sometimes many miles away. Auto memory recall and easy exit are enabled.
So there are the exact circumstances...it's annoying when it happens late at nite or just when you don't want the darn horn drawing attention to an already loud engine. Just wish I knew how to stop it.

Doug
Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Take it to the dealer and ask him.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:19 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by defaria
Take it to the dealer and ask him.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 PM
carlsonjw
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Doug it doesn't work that way. If you are outside the car with the fob it will not chirp 3 times. It will not chirp at all. It will only make that sound it a fob inside the car. If your fob is in your pocket some other fob is in the car.
Not true. I keep my second fob hanging on a key hook in my house and keep my active fob in my pocket. I have had mine chirp three time intermittently. Just had it happen at Home Depot yesterday. I think if your close enough when you close the door, it may do it. My guess is it is a range based signal.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:10 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by carlsonjw
Not true. I keep my second fob hanging on a key hook in my house and keep my active fob in my pocket. I have had mine chirp three time intermittently. Just had it happen at Home Depot yesterday. I think if your close enough when you close the door, it may do it. My guess is it is a range based signal.
I'm lazy and don't want to go back and re-read the whole thread. But just curious, does it chirp after you get in the car and close the door every time?

-Mickey
Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 PM
lynndm
Racer

Originally Posted by MickP
I'm lazy and don't want to go back and re-read the whole thread. But just curious, does it chirp after you get in the car and close the door every time?

-Mickey
Yes. And someone PMed me that a fresh battery will solve the problem so I'm going to try that and see if it works. I will insist on Panasonic since that is what came in it. Some may scoff at being brand specific but my Miller welding helmet uses two specific Panasonic button batteries and will not work properly with other brands of the same designated battery.

Doug

PS Had to order them from Amazon. I'll post either way if it works or not.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:20 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Like Foosh, I don't have the auto lock feature enabled. I've never had the horn beep when I turn the engine off and leave the car with the FOB in my pocket. Never. There's either a sensitivity setting that needs adjustment or there's a minor problem. It's not supposed to happen.

Get notified of new replies

To Why does the horn chirp when door is closed?

Old 04-18-2017, 03:40 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lynndm
Yes. And someone PMed me that a fresh battery will solve the problem so I'm going to try that and see if it works. I will insist on Panasonic since that is what came in it. Some may scoff at being brand specific but my Miller welding helmet uses two specific Panasonic button batteries and will not work properly with other brands of the same designated battery.

Doug

PS Had to order them from Amazon. I'll post either way if it works or not.
I had something like this with my Benz FOB. I put a new battery, fresh out of the package and had trouble. Called the dealer and they suggested getting one from them. I did and problem solved! They parts guy said sometimes those batteries can hang on the display for a long time at retail stores. Crazy thing, when I got home I put my multi-meter on both batteries and they read the same voltage!?!?!?! Go figure...

-Mickey
Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 PM
lynndm
Racer

Put new Panasonic batteries in both remotes and problem is still there. In fact, it's getting even more strange. A couple of times, the 3 rapid beeps have occurred when my wife closes her door.

Dealer doesn't sell many Vettes and has no idea where to start looking for a solution.

Doug
Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 AM
RipcordZ51
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

New batteries - still got the beeps yesterday and of course, lots of people walking by looking at the moron beeping his horn for no reason. I will try the left-hand pocket trick.

Quick Reply: Why does the horn chirp when door is closed?