Sponsored by:

PDR/Navi - how necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts
Default PDR/Navi - how necessary?

Considering an upgrade to a GS. Virtually 100% of dealer stock has this option.

I dont have it in my 2016 base and don't miss it. But would a GS be diminished without it?

I wont track it and use my cell phone/ Google map app for nav.

My thought is to pass on it.

Interested in forum members opinions and logic for or against.

Last edited by mtaxman; 04-11-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I have PDR/nav in my 2016 Z06 and I ordered it this way. I would miss it if I didn't have it but I would still love the car. The built in nav system is convenient and nicely integrated but I would miss the PDR more. Yes you can add your own camera but the integration with vehicle data through the Cosworth Toolbox software is nice even if you don't track the car. I don't use the Nav or PDR system all of the time but they do get used and I am glad to have them.
The following users liked this post:
mtaxman (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:08 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Definitely nice features, but not something I think I would use a lot and is worth the extra money.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

The NAV is way below what your phone can do, the PDR is pretty cool stuff but truth is if you're not tracking your car and using the cosworth toolbox to review your track sessions the PDR is really just an underused toy. A $30 dash cam will work better for most people.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 04-11-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 AM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

If you're looking at buying from dealer stock and that's all they have, just get it. If you're looking at how necessary it is, well the entire car is not necessary in the large scope of things.
The following users liked this post:
NSC5 (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 10:42 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

There's no definite answer to this question as it is a matter of personal preference.

Personally here's how I made the decision on my GS that is on order. I really wanted a PDR but don't use navigation much and when I do I will be using Android Auto. So for me it was a $1795 option to get a PDR. I couldn't justify that expense since I will track the car rarely.

If I do end up tracking the car more there are aftermarket PDR solutions.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
The NAV is way below what your phone can do, the PDR is pretty cool stuff but truth is if you're not tracking your car and using the cosworth toolbox to review your track sessions the PDR is really just an underused toy. A $30 dash cam will work better for most people.
My iPhone 7 must be inferior. The factory OEM navigation system is light years ahead of the phone system. Apple Car Play helps but signal loss is a problem. The OEM unit uses GPS signals and has never failed. I usually drive with the navigation page displayed. As for the PDR, I have only played with it and determined that the system works, not used it for anything of value. Maybe some day I will have something to record?

Last edited by Larry/car; 04-11-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:53 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

My car came with NAV/PDR and I have not used NAV once. I have used the PDR multiple times and will be tracking the car occasionally.

Based on your response I would not pay buy it unless you find a car that has it that checks all the boxes and is a good price.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:57 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

If I was going to upgrade to a GS and virtually 100% of dealer stock had PDR and NAV, I would go for it. There is great pricing on dealer stock now. I would not take the chance and make a factory order of a car that may or may not have the same discounts and have to wait for it to be built. I like to walk up to a bunch of cars look at them and pick what I like, drive it home and call it done!!

That's just me.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:58 PM
sparky973
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
There's no definite answer to this question as it is a matter of personal preference.

Personally here's how I made the decision on my GS that is on order. I really wanted a PDR but don't use navigation much and when I do I will be using Android Auto. So for me it was a $1795 option to get a PDR. I couldn't justify that expense since I will track the car rarely.

If I do end up tracking the car more there are aftermarket PDR solutions.
I also opted to order my z06 skipping the Nav/PDR but started kicking myself for not getting the PDR. After many hours of research, I'm doing the Garmin 4k Cam with OBD2 bluetooth setup if I'm feeling videoing my journeys..

ColoradoGS - Did you end up buying your GS local, or used one of the big 3? Nice to see another CO user on here.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:13 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Originally Posted by sparky973
I also opted to order my z06 skipping the Nav/PDR but started kicking myself for not getting the PDR. After many hours of research, I'm doing the Garmin 4k Cam with OBD2 bluetooth setup if I'm feeling videoing my journeys..

ColoradoGS - Did you end up buying your GS local, or used one of the big 3? Nice to see another CO user on here.
I ended up ordering from one of the big 3 (MacMulkin). Since I went with museum delivery I was just looking for the best deal. I also didn't want to abuse local dealers as "just a showroom" when I knew I'd be ordering elsewhere. Though I do need to find a local dealer for service. Hopefully somewhere in the Springs (or Denver if I have to) knows Corvettes.

I too have had moments of regret not ordering the PDR. I can feel better now that the 2018 PDR has more features and I can get those with a 3rd party solution. I've looked at Garmin and at that Waylens Horizon PDR. I'm hoping for something that is wireless but not sure if that is feasible or not. I wouldnt even mind phone controlled since I'll be using my phone for Android Auto. (A 3rd party PDR controlled via Android Auto would rock but I don't think that is something AA allows yet?)
Old 04-11-2017, 10:23 PM
PKI
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Would not purchase without, but we travel and use the Nav. Having a camera is a feature that would be quite nice to have. My problem would be to find a way to justify the GS and not buy a Z06 stripper. Lots of options, perspectives, and choices. Ain't it all wonderful? Pat
Old 04-11-2017, 10:59 PM
pbateman
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

The factory Nav is not fantastic, HOWEVER, it has saved my *** in my truck when leaving a destination that does not have cell coverage. If you are just backtracking, anyone with a sense or direction can figure it out, but I was not going back the same way I came. Factory Nav really helped, as I was about 10 miles from any cell coverage.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:27 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Originally Posted by pbateman
The factory Nav is not fantastic, HOWEVER, it has saved my *** in my truck when leaving a destination that does not have cell coverage. If you are just backtracking, anyone with a sense or direction can figure it out, but I was not going back the same way I came. Factory Nav really helped, as I was about 10 miles from any cell coverage.
Yeah, my cost/benefit analysis went like this.

The factory nav/pdr combination had two major pluses. One, nav is available if you unexpectedly lose cell coverage. Two, the pdr is more integrated via the touch screen.

Android Auto / third party pdr has better navigation, PDR solutions have more features (4K resolution, more options, etc), and you can download google maps for navigation in no cell areas but you have to plan ahead.

Given that comparison is the factory nav/pdr worth $1795? I decided no but I understand how people could go the other way. Dealers, ofc, almost always order the nav as it makes them more money on every sale.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 PM
vanlieremead
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
My iPhone 7 must be inferior. The factory OEM navigation system is light years ahead of the phone system. Apple Car Play helps but signal loss is a problem. The OEM unit uses GPS signals and has never failed. I usually drive with the navigation page displayed. As for the PDR, I have only played with it and determined that the system works, not used it for anything of value. Maybe some day I will have something to record?
Use Waze. Best
Old 04-12-2017, 05:59 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

If I had ordered my new Vette, I would not have added the Nav/PDR, but since I the one I purchased was dealer stock on the lot and had the Nav/PDR it just came in the deal.
Now that I have it I like it. Nav works well and now that I have some time with it I can program it without a thought. The PDR is off the hook. I am still learning it but with all that it does again I am very happy.
So...it is really your decision but I would sure put it on a Grand Sport that was built to tracked.
VH
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback...No plan to track the car more than once or twice...the darn track day "Physical Damage" insurance is a deterrent for me....

The discounted cost of the option can be viewed two ways - simply about 11% off OR Free with the customer loyalty rebate.

I'm trying to get an order in for exactly what I want and my final decision is to pass on it.

Get notified of new replies

To PDR/Navi - how necessary?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:52 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

I passed on it as well on my order. MY GPS in my phone is fine and I don't even plan to track my car. I would rather go abuse the driving schools cars.........the money I saved can pay for a day of Bondurant or Spring Mountain.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:48 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaxman
Considering an upgrade to a GS. Virtually 100% of dealer stock has this option.

I dont have it in my 2016 base and don't miss it. But would a GS be diminished without it?

I wont track it and use my cell phone/ Google map app for nav.

My thought is to pass on it.

Interested in forum members opinions and logic for or against.
with all the deep discounts/incentives, the entry price for the Nav/PDR is minimal. Do it...!!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 02:50 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I have the PDR, and it has come in handy as a "dash cam". No regrets

Quick Reply: PDR/Navi - how necessary?