Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car was rejected by the state of Massachusetts

Old 04-14-2017, 08:10 AM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Emissions Drive Cycle

When emissions sensors read "not ready" during an emissions test, driving the car for a few miles under a variety of conditions (highway, stop and go, etc.) may work. If not, you might have to perform a specific "drive cycle" to reset the sensors. There are several generic drive cycles and some that are vehicle-specific. The Service Manual contains the one applicable to your vehicle. Some are published online and may or may not be effective. Here's an example of one drive cycle:

http://www.obdii.com/DRIVECYCLE.HTML
The following users liked this post:
RipcordZ51 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 10:15 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3zob
I'm in a line of work that requires me to be licensed by both CA and Mass. There is a dreaded annual recertification process with both where I waste most of my day(if not 2 or 3 days) being treated like trash on the phone by some uneducated, lazy moron who feels powerful because they are a state employee. Why people continue to live in these 2 Soviet states baffles me.
Good luck OP, should be fine after you drive it a bit.
I drove to work at 6:00 AM with the top off my car.

That's why people live here. Lol. I love how people bash California and don't get why people live here.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:56 AM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RipcordZ51
80 beautiful degrees in Central Mass today so had booked an oil and filter change and a 4-wheel alignment. Whilst at the dealer I noticed they do state inspections so I told them to go ahead and do it. I now sport an awful R on my windshield

It failed emissions - I forgot that since the car was sitting for the winter that I needed to put more miles on it before having it tested. So, those of you just getting your car out into warm weather, run 100+ miles on it before having it tested.

On a side note, I had the car set up with a non-Z51 alignment as I don't plan on tracking it. Will this alignment slow down my spirited road cornering antics?
You also forgot to remove the Trump bumper sticker
Old 04-14-2017, 02:55 PM
RipcordZ51
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

^^^
Don't even joke about it! That's all I'm going to say.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:42 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Emissions Drive Cycle

Originally Posted by snomuncher
When emissions sensors read "not ready" during an emissions test, driving the car for a few miles under a variety of conditions (highway, stop and go, etc.) may work. If not, you might have to perform a specific "drive cycle" to reset the sensors. There are several generic drive cycles and some that are vehicle-specific. The Service Manual contains the one applicable to your vehicle. Some are published online and may or may not be effective. Here's an example of one drive cycle:

http://www.obdii.com/DRIVECYCLE.HTML
8/16/17
Here is an update to my original drive cycle comment:

The 2015 Corvette Service Manual contains the specific drive cycle instructions for the C7 LT1. They are more complex than a generic drive cycle. The instructions are too lengthy to post here but for reference are described on Pages 9-394 and 9-395 (almost two full pages of the manual) in the "Engine Controls and Fuel" Chapter.
The following users liked this post:
RipcordZ51 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:13 PM
2016_Z06
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I had the same issue in ca just keep driving do a 100 mile trip that did the trick for me
Old 08-17-2017, 12:13 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

^^^^
Tried last year but couldn't sell our home. Wife is off to check a house in NC over the weekend so perhaps we'll try again. Would love to say goodbye to cold winters that last so long.

For three and a half years I commuted from central NC to a firm just outside Boston. Worked there 4 days, then returned to NC. Your comment is absolutely correct, especially when you get to November and March. I remember getting on a plane in 70 degree weather and getting off in snow in Boston.
We have a true, cold winter here in the central part of the state, but it only lasts around 4 to 6 weeks. However, the western part of the state tends to have winter a little longer. Not that well known is, there are at least 5 ski resorts in western NC. If you're a beach person, you'll REALLY like NC. Lots of beaches and they're season is longer than MA.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Come to Florida, the Gunshine State!

No winter
No debt
No state income tax
No state inspection
and... you get to shoot first!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 388 Likes on 193 Posts

Tried last year but couldn't sell our home. Wife is off to check a house in NC over the weekend so perhaps we'll try again. Would love to say goodbye to cold winters that last so long.
Totally agree. Originally from Maine, now 21 years in Florida and loving every day.....

Last edited by VNAMVET; 08-17-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:32 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Florida? God's waiting room, Stupid hot in summer (that lasts 6 months), no income tax, but high sales tax, no services, all the worst drivers, hurricanes, straight roads, rednecks galore, no sports teams worth spit, speak Spanish?... No thanks, not for me, but if you like it...
Old 08-17-2017, 09:33 AM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

No vehicle inspections or smog testing in Florida!

However sometimes I do wish there were at least vehicle inspections here in Florida. I do pass a few vehicles that seem to be completely unfit for the road. Lots of one headlight and no brake light cars!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by breakskeet
...However sometimes I do wish there were at least vehicle inspections here in Florida. I do pass a few vehicles that seem to be completely unfit for the road. Lots of one headlight and no brake light cars!
That's why we have "No Fault" Auto Insurance! We also have air conditioning and the largest contingent of geriatric doctors the world has ever seen! I've lived in the Tampa Bay area for 35 years... never experienced winds over 50 mph! Come to Central Florida and grow old with us!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My car was rejected by the state of Massachusetts