Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Grand Sport bra for long trip...suggestions

Old 04-12-2017, 07:57 AM
TurtleRayZ51
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default C7 Grand Sport bra for long trip...suggestions

I am going on a long trip to Chicago leaving from Virginia and am looking for a front bra to use for this trip and I keep seeing the navi stretch front bumper bra. It looks nice and that it fits well but it seems really thin kind of like stretched nylons and I worry that it might not be effective enough to prevent rock chips. I know it will keep the bugs off but the rock chips is more of a concern. Do they make those old school ones that were more heavy duty kind of like a thick black fake leather type for the C7? For sure those type will be the most effective.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Old 04-12-2017, 08:14 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

None of them are worth a darn (IMO). For whatever protection you get from rock chips, sand and dust, and dirt will get under the cover and really do a number on your paint.

The only way to have nothing happen to the car is to not drive it.

Soooo... I suggest you drive the car and enjoy it. Stuff happens, but it can be fixed. Maybe that's why a lot of us got the 3M (insert your favorite brand of protection film here) stuff put on the car when we got it.
The following users liked this post:
ptalar (09-21-2018)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I used a stretch bra for my trip from Bowling Green to California. Compared to the heavier duty ones I think with the airflow that goes through it there is a chance that it does less rubbing damage, but I have no long term testing to prove it. That said, I was not happy with the coverage of it as well as any other with similar shapes. The picture below is of a very expensive bra that is available for our cars (not my car, stole the photo from another thread that was similar where I used it as well), I circled an area where I got a chip on that trip, it's very exposed as is the hood.

I've since had the car wrapped in Xpel. I'm not a big fan of the look of a bra, especially on our cars because I think it ruins the dramatic lines of the front end. Plus you have to take it on and off when cleaning, etc.

With the clear bra you have protection that doesn't change the look of the car and you don't have to remove it or anything.

I'm a fan of the clear bras of course, they are more expensive but I think worth it.

I would do up the hood as well as along the sides and the mirrors at a minimum, especially if you don't have long rockers and/or spats.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2018, 06:28 AM
rkahn
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GM OEM Bra is great and reasonable

i find the best bra for the front of my ZO6 on road trips is the GM OEM bra. It’s reasonable, is a solid material that prevents rock damage, fits like a glove and is easy to put on and take off. It also stores compactly. Not sure why anyone would consider the novi stretch fabric that doesn’t protect from rock and pebbles, is more expensive and is not OEM. It’s available online but I bought it at my local dealer. It’s calledd GM Cover and also Bra or Mask or Front Cover. They have one for the ZO6 and Grabd Sport and a different one for the narrow body. It cost me aborut $130

Last edited by rkahn; 09-20-2018 at 06:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rkahn:
A320Flyer (09-22-2018), SilverGhost (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,947 Likes on 936 Posts

NoviStretch gets my vote - initial install takes 15 min - then on or off in 3 to 4 min. Its flexible, its washable, it dries out quickly if wet, and it will absolutely protect from small rocks and pebbles... Who cares what the bra looks like? First, your protecting your car while driving, not going to a car show and second, no one wants to have a front end with paint chips everywhere, nor spend over a thousand to repaint...just silly when I hear folks say "I dont like how bras look"...

Old 09-20-2018, 04:23 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Speed Lingerie a bit expensive but will give you the protection and looks better than most. Google it.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:39 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

XPEL gets my vote if you have the time to get it installed...
ptalar (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:44 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I found that the best way to protect your front end is to give plenty of space between you and the next guy!
Old 09-21-2018, 01:08 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by rkahn
i find the best bra for the front of my ZO6 on road trips is the GM OEM bra. It’s reasonable, is a solid material that prevents rock damage, fits like a glove and is easy to put on and take off. It also stores compactly. Not sure why anyone would consider the novi stretch fabric that doesn’t protect from rock and pebbles, is more expensive and is not OEM. It’s available online but I bought it at my local dealer. It’s calledd GM Cover and also Bra or Mask or Front Cover. They have one for the ZO6 and Grabd Sport and a different one for the narrow body. It cost me aborut $130
where did you order the OEM bra from? The Corvette configurator says their bra is $190.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:20 AM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

where did you order the OEM bra from? The Corvette configurator says their bra is $190.
Ebay. Get the GM part number and put it in the ebay search bar. Ebay is where I bought mine. You can also find it on sale at some of the online dealers like Trunk Monkey. I will tell you I had a bad experience with the GM bra. I had the Stingray version on my Z51. It did not fit well between the body seams. Caused more problems than it solved. I ended up selling my GM bra off and had an XPEL Ultimate Plus Clear Bra installed. The Z06 Bra may fit better. But I am done with add on bras. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:55 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Get xpel or equivalent ppf.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:33 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

You see the theme here. Do it right and get Xpel or other Paint Protection Film. It retains the look without having some flapping "bra" during long trips. Wind+Bras will eat through the clearcoat and right to the paint. If you absolutely have to get a bra, get the Novistretch.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:02 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by djnice
Get xpel or equivalent ppf.
Thank you for your advice. However, I need a temporary solution to drive my R8C new Corvette back home 500 miles away. Where I live I have an expert PPF installer who does LLuminar installations, which is essentially the same as Suntek. He will install the PPF. Just need something temporary for now. I am even considering purchasing Track Tape but I have concerns about whether this method might remove paint from the freshly painted vehicle after I remove the Track Tape at the conclusion of my Corvette Museum trip. First world problems can be difficult sometimes. 😂
Old 09-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

The CCA Vette rolls with NoviStretch

4 Trips from VA to FL in 6 months

https://www.corvettepartsandaccessor...ts/novistretch

Regards
Chip

Last edited by Custom Corvette Accessories; 09-21-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I vote Novistretch for a couple of reasons. It's fairly cheap. It is an easy on/easy off solution. In almost 20,000 miles of use on long road trips I see no harm to the paint or clear coat at all. It washes right up after a trip. And unlike Xpel & Co., it prevents a lot of debris from entering your engine compartment and radiator. Not only bugs, but I picked up lots of hay from hay trucks this last trip. I do not use it locally, but it's a must have on road trips where you are traveling thousands of miles at freeway speeds (or, ahem, a wee bit faster.)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I vote Novistretch for a couple of reasons. It's fairly cheap. It is an easy on/easy off solution. In almost 20,000 miles of use on long road trips I see no harm to the paint or clear coat at all. It washes right up after a trip. And unlike Xpel & Co., it prevents a lot of debris from entering your engine compartment and radiator. Not only bugs, but I picked up lots of hay from hay trucks this last trip. I do not use it locally, but it's a must have on road trips where you are traveling thousands of miles at freeway speeds (or, ahem, a wee bit faster.)
I am leaning in this direction. So you use the Novistretch 100% of the time? Do you also have PPF? Are you driving a wide body? TIA
A320Flyer (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:13 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MMD
I am leaning in this direction. So you use the Novistretch 100% of the time? Do you also have PPF? Are you driving a wide body? TIA
I only use it on long trips. I do not have PPF and it's a normal Stingray. The bra will fit a wide body.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Grand Sport bra for long trip...suggestions

Old 09-22-2018, 07:25 PM
MMD
Safety Car

I only use it on long trips. I do not have PPF and it's a normal Stingray. The bra will fit a wide body.
Thanks for your inputs. Just curious, how many miles on your vehicle and do you have any stone paint chips anywhere in the car?
Old 09-22-2018, 07:31 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MMD
Thanks for your inputs. Just curious, how many miles on your vehicle and do you have any stone paint chips anywhere in the car?
19,900 miles, mostly road trips in the west. Been on five multi-thousand mile trips in the last 18 months. No chips I have found. I did buy a Dr. Colorchip kit for the inevitable when it happens. I picked her up at the factory/NCM and drove roundabout to Seattle and have just never stopped.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:54 PM
MMD
Safety Car

19,900 miles, mostly road trips in the west. Been on five multi-thousand mile trips in the last 18 months. No chips I have found. I did buy a Dr. Colorchip kit for the inevitable when it happens. I picked her up at the factory/NCM and drove roundabout to Seattle and have just never stopped.
Wow! That must have been one exciting trip. I thought my trip from Bowling Green to my home in Virginia (560 miles) would be a long trip for a new car but your trip must have been quite a journey. A trip of a life time actually. I am anticipating a late November, early December trip to Bowling Green to pick up my new GS. Concerned about the weather cooperating. I have had concern about stone chips coming home as I want to apply Llumina PPF on the car at a local Virgina dealer. What I like about Lluminar it is thicker than Expel and it is reported it have the best performance in not turning yellow over time. It is also self healing in the event of small dings. It's made by the same company that makes Suntek which is also a good PPF. My local dealer has specialized in Lluminar installs for many years and is about as good an installer as there is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Grand Sport bra for long trip...suggestions