Ron Fellows School - in depth review / analysis

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 06:16 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Ron Fellows School - in depth review / analysis

TL;DR - Go to Ron Fellows.

I just spent two days at the Ron Fellows Corvette School and it was awesome. Even though I have about 45 track days experience, I learned a ton. The operation was first class and the facilities were beautiful. If you are unsure about going, you should just go. Even if you have to pay full price, you get a subsidized price if you buy a new C7, you should go.

I drove three different Z06s; #101, #104 and #109 all with manual 7 speeds. I have a 2016 M7 Z06/Z07 and two track days on it with Cup2 tires. You should plan two months in advance to make sure you get the exact car you have. They had over 100 Corvettes there and they were all really fresh (about 1800-3500 miles on each and they were all 2017 models). God bless America! The only thing that would have made this a better experience is a bald eagle landing on the car and Miss America handing me some apple pie. My next track day is Thunderhill on May 15th and I can't wait to try out my new skills.

Here my observations, in no particular order-

• Lots of guys bought C7 Corvettes but had not driven them yet since its still winter on the East Coast. So the first day was great to get them familiar with the features (Rev match and manually shifting the auto) and drills.
• The class room sessions were very short and while one group was in the class the other group was driving. Each person had a specific car and the alternating gave more room on the tracks and skidpad.
• In my class of about 25, only 1 other guy had track experience. It didn’t matter. On the second day they seed you by experience, speed and aggressiveness. I drove my Z06 really hard on day two.
• There were 4 – 25 minute track sessions on the second day. It was 1:3 ratio for Staff:Student in the track sessions
• The first day was drills, Accelerate to 60, brake/downshift (heel and toe or use rev match) twice to precisely 15 MPH. Wet lane change drill. Slalom through cones with windshield shade in place. Throttle steer on a circle/skid pad and wet skid pad. And then finally a 15 minute track session.
• The second day started with 2 X 25 minutes track sessions, and then a ride along with an instructor/pro in the exact car (Stingray, GrandSport, Z06, manual or automatic) and PTM setting (Track/Sport1) that you were driving. Then 2 X 25 minute track sessions in the afternoon. It was definitely enough driving and I drove hard/fast.
• All cars had the PDR and either you bring your own SD card or you can buy one there.

What I learned-

You can set the start/finish line on the PDR AFTER you start it. At my own track, I was setting the start/finish line on my PDR in the hot pits before I started the video record. It would sometimes not trigger a lap, because it only looks 15 feet each way from the exact point you set it. So, I will now set my start finish line, on my first lap, on the track when I cross the start finish line, instead of the hot pits. You only have to do this once and it worked perfectly for me. I also moved my SD card to three different Z06s without resetting the start finish line and it remembered the start finish line.

I always thought you should either be on the gas or brakes and never coast. I was wrong. From my session with the pro he braked early (he did not early apex), then lets up (coasts briefly) which allows the cars to turn in hard, then throttles way earlier then me and does not run wide. This allows him to have much better exit speed and straightaway speed. My line was very similar, but I held the gas too long, brake later and had much slower exit speeds and I was running wide. In screenshots from the PDR below you can see the my lap in (blue) vs. the Pro(orange). The Pro was more progressive in throttle application AND de-application. The braking lines is where you can really see him braking way before me. I’ll spend a lot more time analyzing this. Given my experience level, this overlay of the same track in the same car/car/day/PTM setting is HUGE.

The school does minimal prep to the cars. The oil is swapped to Mobil 1 15-50. They swap the original tires and rims and save them so they can put them back on when they resell the car. All the cars are equipped with stock size Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) and not Cup2. The brake fluid is swapped for DOT4, and the cars are aligned. I talked to the techs and got a picture of one of my car’s alignment print out. According to the tech, they use the GM track recommendations, and take out washers as stated in the GM document.

I drove three different Z06/Z07 (#101, # 104 and #109) with a manual 7 speed. All were high spec 3LZ, suede interior, carbon dash and comp seats. All three cars stuck like glue on the track and I only got into the Active Handling in the first session that I can tell (Track mode Sport 1). The tires were typically really fresh and I have a new appreciation for the MPSS. Slicks or Cup2 tires can mask poor driving, so I would recommend a track alignment MPSS. If you really need slicks or Cup 2, then get them after a few track days. I can say that the #101 and #104 car did pull harder above 4000RPM than the #109 car. The #109 Z06 did not run hot or have any warning lights, it just didn’t seem to pull as hard as the #101/#104 Z06.

All the instructors have racing experience and thousands of laps in the cars. They are great teachers. This is really important. Just because you are fast, does not make you a good coach. The instructors provide realtime feedback through an integrated CB radio while driving. They watch their rear view mirrors and can tell if you late or early apex, if you gas too soon, or run wide. You can hear the commentary in both videos.

This was truly a great experience and I think I’ll be way faster on the track and much more confident and safer.

The link to my fastest lap-

The link to Instructor/pro lap-

For the PDR screen shots, I'm in blue and pro is in orange. Feedback appreciated.

Last edited by LagunaSecaZ06; 04-13-2017 at 08:11 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by LagunaSecaZ06:
berk4422 (04-13-2017), blown5.0 (04-13-2017), brandon.rush1 (04-13-2017), Kevin Marshall (04-13-2017), L8ter (04-13-2017), MJC611 (04-16-2017), M_G (04-14-2017), Nitro C7 (04-17-2017), rdricks (04-13-2017), scuba pro (04-15-2017), The_Gretz (04-14-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:25 PM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Great write up. I'm going in less than two weeks. I can't wait.
The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:45 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Excellent review.
I was there in October 2016 and learned more than I ever thought possible.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Location: Love the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Milton GA and Jupiter FL
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06

I just spent two days at the Ron Fellows Corvette School and it was awesome. Even though I have about 45 track days experience, I learned a ton. The operation was first class and the facilities were beautiful. If you are unsure about going, you should just go. Even if you have to pay full price, you get a subsidized price if you buy a new C7, you should go.

I drove three different Z06s; #101, #104 and #109 all with manual 7 speeds. I have a 2016 M7 Z06/Z07 and two track days on it with Cup2 tires. You should plan two months in advance to make sure you get the exact car you have. They had over 100 Corvettes there and they were all really fresh (about 1800-3500 miles on each and they were all 2017 models). God bless America! The only thing that would have made this a better experience is a bald eagle landing on the car and Miss America handing me some apple pie. My next track day is Thunderhill on May 15th and I can't wait to try out my new skills.

Here my observations, in no particular order-

• Lots of guys bought C7 Corvettes but had not driven them yet since its still winter on the East Coast. So the first day was great to get them familiar with the features (Rev match and manually shifting the auto) and drills.
• The class room sessions were very short and while one group was in the class the other group was driving. Each person had a specific car and the alternating gave more room on the tracks and skidpad.
• In my class of about 25, only 1 other guy had track experience. It didn’t matter. On the second day they seed you by experience, speed and aggressiveness. I drove my Z06 really hard on day two.
• There were 4 – 25 minute track sessions on the second day. It was 1:3 ratio for Staff:Student in the track sessions
• The first day was drills, Accelerate to 60, brake/downshift (heel and toe or use rev match) twice to precisely 15 MPH. Wet lane change drill. Slalom through cones with windshield shade in place. Throttle steer on a circle/skid pad and wet skid pad. And then finally a 15 minute track session.
• The second day started with 2 X 25 minutes track sessions, and then a ride along with an instructor/pro in the exact car (Stingray, GrandSport, Z06, manual or automatic) and PTM setting (Track/Sport1) that you were driving. Then 2 X 25 minute track sessions in the afternoon. It was definitely enough driving and I drove hard/fast.
• All cars had the PDR and either you bring your own SD card or you can buy one there.

What I learned-

You can set the start/finish line on the PDR AFTER you start it. At my own track, I was setting the start/finish line on my PDR in the hot pits before I started the video record. It would sometimes not trigger a lap, because it only looks 15 feet each way from the exact point you set it. So, I will now set my start finish line, on my first lap, on the track when I cross the start finish line, instead of the hot pits. You only have to do this once and it worked perfectly for me. I also moved my SD card to three different Z06s without resetting the start finish line and it remembered the start finish line.

I always though you should either be on the gas or brakes and never coast. I was wrong. From my session with the pro he braked early (he did not early apex), then lets up (coasts briefly) which allows the cars to turn in hard, then throttles way earlier then me and does not run wide. My line was very similar, but I held the gas too long, brake later and had much slower exit speeds and I was running wide. In screenshots from the PDR below you can see the my lap in (blue) vs. the Pro(orange). The Pro was more progressive in throttle application AND de-application. The braking lines is where you can really see him braking way before me. I’ll spend a lot more time analyzing this. Given my experience level, this overlay of the same track in the same car/car/day/PTM setting is HUGE.

The school does minimal prep to the cars. The oil is swapped to Mobil 1 15-50. They swap the original tires and rims and save them so they can put them back on when they resell the car. All the cars are equipped with stock size Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) and not Cup2. The brake fluid is swapped for DOT4, and the cars are aligned. I talked to the techs and got a picture of one of my car’s alignment print out. According to the tech, they use the GM track recommendations, and take out washers as stated in the GM document.

I drove three different Z06/Z07 (#101, # 104 and #109) with a manual 7 speed. All were high spec 3LZ, suede interior, carbon dash and comp seats. All three cars stuck like glue on the track and I only got into the Active Handling in the first session that I can tell (Track mode Sport 1). The tires were typically really fresh and I have a new appreciation for the MPSS. Slicks or Cup2 tires can mask poor driving, so I would recommend a track alignment MPSS. If you really need slicks or Cup 2, then get them after a few track days. I can say that the #101 and #104 car did pull harder above 4000RPM than the #109 car. The #109 Z06 did not run hot or have any warning lights, it just didn’t seem to pull as hard as the #101/#104 Z06.

All the instructors have racing experience and thousands of laps in the cars. They are great teachers. This is really important. Just because you are fast, does not make you a good coach. The instructors provide realtime feedback through an integrated CB radio while driving. They watch their rear view mirrors and can tell if you late or early apex, if you gas too soon, or run wide. You can hear the commentary in both videos.

This was truly a great experience and I think I’ll be way faster on the track and much more confident and safer.

The link to my fastest lap-
https://youtu.be/EtXK0JXvGw8

The link to Instructor/pro lap-
https://youtu.be/cJnuvGONuUs

For the PDR screen shots, I'm in blue and pro is in orange. Feedback appreciated.
Dude,

You and your post are both amazing,

I was going before this you just robbed salt into my non-sore wound.

You should talk to them about being an ambassador for their product because you are great.

Thank you Kevin :-)
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 PM
rdricks
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was there last weekend. I concur with LagunaSecaZ06. It was an amazing experience! If you get the opportunity, take it. I know so much more about my car's capability. And those instructors -incredible!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:46 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks!

The instructors were really great and the operation is first rate. At the end of the class they ask for everyone's feedback and it was really consistent. I found it amazing that they could do a great job given the vast difference in experience (zero track days to me at 45 track days). It is crazy how many Vettes are there. They have six versions; Stingray, Grandsport and Z06 in both manual and auto. It was really the best $1,000 I have spent. I did have to pay for one additional night at $119.00, but the school includes breakfast and lunch. You can bring your spouse or girlfriend for a ride along with the instructors during the track sessions.

One suggestion that I though was really special, is that you should be able get a refund for the subsidized price if go to the school first, then buy a C7. I think GM would have 90% close ratio on that deal.

Originally Posted by Kevin Marshall
Dude,

You and your post are both amazing,

I was going before this you just robbed salt into my non-sore wound.

You should talk to them about being an ambassador for their product because you are great.

Thank you Kevin :-)

Last edited by LagunaSecaZ06; 04-13-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Great post. Well done. Like you I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 days at Spring Mountain.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks for sharing the write-up. I had a blast when I was there about a month ago! Can't wait to take it out from hibernation this Sunday when it will be 82 degrees!!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:44 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Great review! I love spending time at Spring Mountain!

Where any of you there on April 7-8? If you were, and were on the east track, I'm certain you enjoyed the extra bonus of attending on those dates! I wish I could have been there at that time too.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:06 PM
NAR79
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the info. I just bought a new A8 GS, and I am seriously considering heading out to Spring Mountain using the GM discount. I was a little hesitant since it's been about 20 years since I last drove a manual, so I'm glad to hear they have automatics available. Did the folks in your class that drove the automatics still feel that it was worthwhile? I've really enjoyed my GS so far, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drive a manual on the track.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:56 PM
eamespm
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey, you did a great job on the write up on our 2 days we had this week. Looking at your times and comparing mine, there no doubt the Z06 with the extra HP out performed my GS A8 down the straights and on exits... and a lot louder too!

Thanks again for posting this.

Philip
Old 04-13-2017, 10:02 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by NAR79
Thanks for all of the info. I just bought a new A8 GS, and I am seriously considering heading out to Spring Mountain using the GM discount. I was a little hesitant since it's been about 20 years since I last drove a manual, so I'm glad to hear they have automatics available. Did the folks in your class that drove the automatics still feel that it was worthwhile? I've really enjoyed my GS so far, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drive a manual on the track.
You drive what you own. They have over 100 Corvettes on site.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:13 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Boy do those Z06s sound healthy on the straightaways!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:13 PM
eamespm
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I was there this week as well and too have a A8 GS. You will do all your track time in manual mode using the paddle shifters. You will be in 4th gear most of the time and down shift to 3rd once. You will also up shift to 5th at least once and maybe twice. If you haven't yet, I would recommend getting use to the paddle before you go and you'll be just fine.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:47 PM
NAR79
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eamespm
I was there this week as well and too have a A8 GS. You will do all your track time in manual mode using the paddle shifters. You will be in 4th gear most of the time and down shift to 3rd once. You will also up shift to 5th at least once and maybe twice. If you haven't yet, I would recommend getting use to the paddle before you go and you'll be just fine.
Awesome. Good to know. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Great lap time, the classes are really worth it!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 PM
M_G
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Great post since I'm going in one week. Can't wait!!!

Reading this makes me even more excited, if that's possible.

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows School - in depth review / analysis

Old 04-14-2017, 11:54 AM
RaceMic
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been procrastinating.... Now they have upped the anti with incentives for the summer months. Extra night stay, free SD card, $50 merch credit, paddle board lessons, more.... Gonna sign up today.

EDIT: Just booked 6/5 - 6/6, and I gotta say if the school is as pleasant and professional as dealing with Donna Hammontree was, this is going to be one epic adventure!

Last edited by RaceMic; 04-14-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Her65
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nar

GO! Auto or manual you will learn the limits and increase your expertise on what you own. Don't let how you shift it keep you home! No matter how you shift it is a great 2 days of driving and learning.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Let's say you bought a Stingray, can you opt to upgrade to the Z06 for the training?

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows School - in depth review / analysis