Sponsored by:

Heavy track steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 AM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Heavy track steering

I di a search, cant find although Im sure its been touched on...

When IM in track mode the steering is real heavy..like no power steering heavy.. (Ive driven and owned no power steering cars, but didnt love it despite everyone saying its great)...

I went into the menu and changed from auto (mode select) and put it in sport steering... yet even then when I put in Track mode for everything else (engine and suspension?) the steering reverts back to overly heavy... what am I doing wrong? Id like sport steering and everything else in track

Thanks and sorry if its been touched on before
Old 04-18-2017, 07:44 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

no comments or help?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:55 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

You can set the steering to stay in one mode permanently despite what ride mode your in. Check the manual. I'm away travelling and don't have access.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

You should be able to set steering and exhaust independently of driving mode. It's possible that everything switches to track when you put it in that driving mode, though. Not sure about that. If so, keep in sport driving mode, and you can definitely have steering and exhaust in whatever mode you like all the time.

Last edited by fugly1; 04-18-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:59 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Something is wrong. I drive with the steering in "Track" all the time, and while it's the "heaviest" of the three modes, it isn't close to "no power steering" heavy - it's not nearly as heavy as our other car, a BMW X5. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.
The following users liked this post:
Zap City (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:22 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Does the steering feel OK to you if you leave the driver mode in sport instead of track? Does the vehicle personalization menu show the steering staying in sport as you change modes?

Regardless of mode steering effort varies with speed with less assist provided at higher speed so even sport mode will get fairly "stiff" at higher speeds; sport and track start with less power assist and this assist is decreased at a greater rate with increasing road speed as you switch from tour to sport and to track steering setting. Try setting the steering mode to tour to see how that feels with the vehicle set to track.

Last edited by NSC5; 04-19-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen1254
Something is wrong. I drive with the steering in "Track" all the time, and while it's the "heaviest" of the three modes, it isn't close to "no power steering" heavy - it's not nearly as heavy as our other car, a BMW X5. Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.
I agree 100%. I've seen several comments on this forum comparing Track mode steering to no power steering and it isn't even close. Without power steering, you'd have a hard time turning the wheel with one hand from a dead stop and even while rolling would take significant effort. If you think Track mode and no power steering are remotely similar, there is something wrong with your Corvette or you've never driven car without power steering.

Track mode steering effort on my Grand Sport is similar to the late '90s BMWs I had when they were still built for enthusiasts before BMW decided to soften it up for the mainstream luxury buyers.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Does the steering feel OK to you if you leave the driver mode in sport instead of track? Does the vehicle personalization menu show the steering staying in sport as you change modes?

Regardless of mode steering effort varies with speed with less assist provided at higher speed so even sport mode will get fairly "stiff" at higher speeds; sport and track start with less power assist and this assist is decreased at a greater rate with increasing road speed as you switch from tour to sport and to track steering setting. Try setting the steering mode to tour to see how that feels with the vehicle set to track.
I've found that steering effort is less dependent on overall road speed and more dependent on load. The steering firms up nicely when you're taking a corner at a good pace and this effect is amplified in Track compared to Sport mode.

Get notified of new replies

To Heavy track steering

Quick Reply: Heavy track steering