Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my air filter the other day

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:02 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I immediately ordered and installed a K&N air filter. Not as easy as the old days with the wingnut, but still much easier than it looks. I have a brand new factory air filter in storage now which will never go on the car again. I clean the K&N filters about every 15000 miles and have them on all my cars. If you change your filter, do yourself a favor and replace with a high peeformance washable filter.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

If you change your filter, do yourself a favor and replace with a high peeformance washable filter.

Do yourself a favor and only replace the filter when you need to and do your engine a favor by keeping the more effective stock air filter that will provide the cleanest air to your engine.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
so how you you like your new filter?
Seems better. Car seems to engage better off the line, i have an M7 and used to stumble a bit off the line. Then again, it's been last season that i had the car out.
Then again, this could be a placebo effect, the mind can play tricks on you. One measureable way to tell if there is improvement will be a fuel economy run that will beat my best of 7.0L/100Km.
Will keep you posted.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
I used to do all maintenance on my cars myself. Now I am just too busy and I find myself not caring as much to be honest. It's more of a chore these days but I understand why people like doing it themselves.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I thought the manual says to replace the air filter @ 37,500 miles?
37,500 or four years.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:01 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Curahee
37,500 or four years.
Given that performance tends to degrade as the filter loses effectiveness, i find that this interval is too long. It's a relatively cheap part so why not have it performing optimally. GM used to have a gauge on their filters in the older gen SUV's that told you when to replace, like the Oil Life monitoring system, it should be replace when it needs to be replaced.
Checking the severe duty schedule, it says the same thing... that i don't get... it does not account for driving in dusty conditions or in areas where there are lots of pollens and allergins floating around in the air...

Last edited by DickieDoo; 04-18-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Given that performance tends to degrade as the filter loses effectiveness, i find that this interval is too long.

Do a little research about "effectiveness" (assuming you mean the ability to transmit clean air to the engine) and you will find that the engine air filter actually gets "more" effective as it ages to a point. You pay for that increased "effectiveness" with slightly higher pressure drops (less air flow) across the filter.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 04-18-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Given that performance tends to degrade as the filter loses effectiveness, i find that this interval is too long.

Do a little research about "effectiveness" (assuming you mean the ability to transmit clean air to the engine) and you will find that the engine air filter actually gets "more" effective as it ages to a point. You pay for that increased "effectiveness" with slightly higher pressure drops (less air flow) across the filter.
Yes, poor choice of words on my part, the filter becomes more effective filter even better but that implies less flow. I'll search up the youtube clip on oil analysis of K&N versus STOCK. It was very interesting and showed that for all intents and purposes, the K&N was doing a similar job to the stock element ( not that i am promoting K&N since i put in an AIRAID )

Quick Reply: Changed my air filter the other day