Sponsored by:

Has the design settled in for you yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I have a widebody C6 and a widebody C7, and my view varies depending on the model.

I think the narrow body C7 (Stingray) was a gigantic leap in styling over the narrow body C6. The Stingray to me, is the model in the C7 with the best chance of aging well over time. It's design is very integrated and finished in its appearance.

To me, the widebodies are different. Both the C6 and C7 widebody vettes look great, IMO. There are aspects of my widebody C7, tho, that I don't thing will age well over time from a styling perspective. It isn't as integrated in its appearance as the Stingray or the C6 widebody (which remains a great looking sports car), and if the C8 narrow and widebody vettes (assuming both come to be) don't have front fender spats and rear spoilers that look a bit tacked on, such will date the widebody C7 pretty significantly, IMO. But I still love 'em.

The Stingray, I think will be a classic design for quite a while.

Last edited by OnPoint; 04-21-2017 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ExRedRacer (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Well I have had my Z-51 since March 2014 !! I have 15,500 miles now and still people ask me about the car !!With 2 trips of 3200 miles and 4200 miles I can tell you it just keeps on giving you thrills !!! In the next month or so the car shows start and what fun it is to talk with other C7 owners !!! Last month 4 people in our corvette club bought C 7's !!! Enjoy your car you deserve it !! I worked hard saved my money so like Wayne's world party on !!! Wayne
Old 04-23-2017, 11:53 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Fresh design and still looks good after 4 years but I am looking forward to the C8.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:13 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

When I see a C7 it always causes me to stop in my tracks, I still think they are the best looking Corvette ever made (I'm not a fan of the old school ones, sorry) Yesterday my wife and I went for a drive in my C6 and stopped in a small town to walk around and a Laguna Blue Z06 drove by at one point and both of us just stopped in our tracks and went "wow!" When I look at my C6 after seeing a C7 it just doesn't have the same appeal to me anymore, I can't wait to trade it for a C7!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I still love the car. I really thought the rear would grow on me, but it's still just meh to me. I dont hate it or anything, but it just doesn't flow with the rest of the car.

I love the car though. It's been in the shop for nearly 3 weeks because some idiot backed into it in a parking lot. I've had a Q50, which is a nice car, but holy crap I miss my car. I got so used to the C7 I forgot how poorly regular cars brake and turn. I damn near killed myself when I tried to dodge something in the road at 70mph. Forgot you can't just jerk the wheel
Old 04-24-2017, 02:03 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

but it just doesn't flow with the rest of the car.

From a side profile C5 era up that hacked off at the rear look just look like someone gave up; its missing something
That "wall of plastic" from rear view looks horrible...and good gawd the 4 chrome tip in the rear trend went out yrs ago, look at some exotics out there they got it right.
Still an incredible car but designers need to go back and rethink a thing or two. Same with Camaro...close but not quite.

Last edited by cv67; 04-24-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:15 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

yeah, it's not so much the lights but all the stuff and vents around them.

I don't mind the quad exhaust thing, but a single big one looks so much better and I'm betting is cheaper to make.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:48 PM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by C7thHeaven
Hello gentlemen (and ladies), I browse this forum everyday (like I actually own this car or something, not yet) and hopefully can share the same bliss you all have with these beautiful machines. But to the topic...

I remember the very first moment I saw a C7. It was 2013, and I had no clue what it was. I was just starting to really love cars at that point so I was way more green than now. Fast forward to 2017, much more knowledgeable, and here I am, still in love with this car. I still drool over the C7 whenever I see it in person, because as good as it looks in pictures, they never do it justice. This is maybe the only car under 100k that I've seen that has yet to date itself, in my eyes (the z06 that is). The most attractive feature, to me, is the low height of the Vette. This car has sooooo much road presence.

I always liked the previous gens, but this one took it to a whole 'nother level.

Has the design "wow" factor not yet faded for anyone else?

In case you missed it, no I did not buy a brand new Corvette, but provided everything lines up right for me. I will very, very soon have a Z06 to share. I just wanted to share my thoughts with you all!
I've had my C7 Z51 (Arctic White with chrome wheels) for 3 years now and while the look has settled in a little, I still really appreciate the design and don't feel it is dated at all. I do love my coupe's profile and I don't have a black top to break up the roof line. Still my favorite after 3 years!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:54 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,100 Likes on 853 Posts

The design settled in immediately after I saw the first one in person. Much better than the initial reveal via video. The roof lines is a distinction from what otherwise would have been a C6.5
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
Honestly i wasn't sure what to think of the C7 design when i first saw the reveal and the pictures. However when i first saw it in person, i think my response might have been "WOW" or something like that. I waited a year to actually buy one in Nov 2014 and every day it still has some wow factor.

What surprises me is that some people out on the road still take pictures and videos of the car when i drive by, once in a while anyways.
Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
The design settled in immediately after I saw the first one in person. Much better than the initial reveal via video. The roof lines is a distinction from what otherwise would have been a C6.5
I'm in complete agreement. Like many here, I watched the 1-13-13 reveal, not having a clue what I was going to see until they brought the car out. To say I was underwhelmed would be a huge understatement. The absence of round taillights and curved rear glass plus the presence of rear side quarter windows totally turned me off. Fast forward to the NCM bash three months later; seeing that beautiful Laguna Blue coupe was a game changer. It was so beautiful it practically knocked me over. That was the day I decided I had to have one. It took another year after that but I finally ordered one. Even after 2.5 years of ownership, it's still as beautiful to me as it was the first time I saw it. I still get giddy just looking at it. BTW, The back end looks fantastic to me and that includes the taillights.

One additional observation...as beautiful as these cars are when they're standing still, they're even more so when they're moving. I still gasp every time I see one coming at me from the opposite side of the freeway.
ExRedRacer (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

From a side profile C5 era up that hacked off at the rear look just look like someone gave up; its missing something
That "wall of plastic" from rear view looks horrible...and good gawd the 4 chrome tip in the rear trend went out yrs ago, look at some exotics out there they got it right.
Still an incredible car but designers need to go back and rethink a thing or two. Same with Camaro...close but not quite.
I gotta agree, I've never liked the look of the chopped rear end on the C5, C6 or C7. Several things on the C7 just never really have looked right to me. I keep waiting for the look to grow on me, but it isn't happening. I'd like to see GM go all the way back to the drawing board on the design and start over.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

This much is true....

An old Spanish saying, "En gustos, no hay nada escrito" means that there are no rules in taste. What pleases me may not please you. This has never been more true when it comes to the seventh generation Corvette.

My opinion is that the style and design combined with the power and handling of the C7 makes it the finest mass-produced American made sports car produced to date.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:17 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
My opinion is that the style and design combined with the power and handling of the C7 makes it the finest mass-produced American made sports car produced to date.
Bingo.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:26 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I'm in complete agreement. Like many here, I watched the 1-13-13 reveal, not having a clue what I was going to see until they brought the car out. To say I was underwhelmed would be a huge understatement. The absence of round taillights and curved rear glass plus the presence of rear side quarter windows totally turned me off. Fast forward to the NCM bash three months later; seeing that beautiful Laguna Blue coupe was a game changer. It was so beautiful it practically knocked me over. That was the day I decided I had to have one. It took another year after that but I finally ordered one. Even after 2.5 years of ownership, it's still as beautiful to me as it was the first time I saw it. I still get giddy just looking at it. BTW, The back end looks fantastic to me and that includes the taillights.

One additional observation...as beautiful as these cars are when they're standing still, they're even more so when they're moving. I still gasp every time I see one coming at me from the opposite side of the freeway.
I felt like I never got a good picture of my C7. It just doesn't photograph well.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,100 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
The back end looks fantastic to me and that includes the taillights.
totally.

I remember I started a thread back when the C7 was first revealed. In it I compared the roof line to the Marlin Rambler. Who would have ever thought in the year 2013 or whatever that a Corvette would get that close to a 1960's Marlin roofline, a Rambler no less.

Well the moderator at the time promptly put a lock to the thread stating not C7 related

I still think it does looking at it from the rear. But it works no matter what. All except rear vision, just like my SWC.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 04-24-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:50 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
I remember I started a thread back when the C7 was first revealed. In it I compared the roof line to the Marlin Rambler. Who would have ever thought in the year 2013 or whatever that a Corvette would get that close to a 1960's Marlin roofline, a Rambler no less.

I still think it does looking at it from the rear. But it works no matter what...
I compared the rear window of new C7 with that of the Marlin as well...I even posted a photo of one similar to the one below. I had the 'sour-grapes' syndrome going on because I was the proud owner of a C6.

However, as time moved on, so did my opinion of the new Corvette and a blue one now resides in my garage.

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 04-25-2017 at 12:53 AM.
cor28vettes (04-28-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 02:01 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by village idiot
I felt like I never got a good picture of my C7. It just doesn't photograph well.
Gotta disagree with you on that one. There are a lot of photos here that flatter the C7. A great example is the one in ExRedRacer's sig. Check out the bottom of post # 56 in this thread.
ExRedRacer (04-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Has the design settled in for you yet?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:57 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

I still feel like they look much better in person.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I still love the car. I really thought the rear would grow on me, but it's still just meh to me. I dont hate it or anything, but it just doesn't flow with the rest of the car.

There is a little too much going on in the back. The rest of the car is stunning. The shape, the curves, the creases all work really well together.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:09 AM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

This car rocks!!! the wow factor is 9.5 for me and just about everyone who sees it..... its a race car you can drive on the street...I put 22000 miles on my 14 Stingray and have 7000 on my 16 ZO6 and every time I park it I cant wait to drive it again.... my first car was a 68 VW Beetle ...back then a Corvette was just a dream... life is good
ExRedRacer (04-25-2017)

Quick Reply: Has the design settled in for you yet?