Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any GM reps on this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:21 PM
DudleyG
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Most businesses including car dealerships have liability insurance to cover their losses as a result of their employee mistakes or mishaps. The dealership may have something like $500 deductible insurance and their insurance provider would require visual proof (agent sees the damaged part) of the claim the dealership would be making to cover the replacement of a $2000 part.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I doubt if there any reps on here, but I think you're going to have to comply with the dealer's request. Either that, or mail it to them when you can get to your car, and ask them to mail the new one back to you. Someone is paying for that part, either the dealer or GM. And someone wants to see/have the old part that a new one is replacing for whatever reason, such as the one mentioned above. I'm not so sure it's an unreasonable request by the dealer.
Bill is 100% correct. In order for the dealer to be reimbursed by GM they'll need to return the "defective" one. Whether or not the original part is legitimately a warranty item is a separate question. It's also very trivial on the dealer's part to not just give the new one without exchange as a simple gesture of goodwill.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan
Unless they are trying to warranty the part wtf do they want it for? That would be stupid and probably frowned upon by a warranty audit
Excellent point. I sounds like they a pulling a scam. I would contact GM Customer Service immediately. That will probably put an end to that.

Michael
Old 04-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The dealer may be wanting the old item back, so they can repair and re-sell it. Since there shouldn't have been GM reimbursement for something they damaged, I don't think that's an unreasonable request. However, it would be unethical to re-sell it as a new item.
They've got you between that rock, and a hard place. A GM rep. probably can't help as they will tell you they don't control the dealers. Sadly you may just have to do it their way.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Excellent point. I sounds like they a pulling a scam. I would contact GM Customer Service immediately. That will probably put an end to that.

Michael
Sounds to me the opposite of that. They should obviously know that GM isn't going to reimburse them because it's not a warranty claim, it was dealer-caused damage. Thus, they want the item back for possible repair and re-use.

If they thought they could get away with being reimbursed by GM, there's no reason they'd want the old part back. The most GM Customer Service can do is call the dealer and ask for their explanation. If they're not asking for reimbursement, GM can't do a damned thing about the dealer wanting the part they damaged back.

A lot of dealers will sell minor "scratch and dent" parts at a discount, which will at least partially reimburse their costs for having to eat the cost of a new splitter. Somehow I have this feeling that the damage is not terribly serious, and OP's use of the term "ruined" might be slightly overstated.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-23-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Sounds to me the opposite of that. They should obviously know that GM isn't going to reimburse them because it's not a warranty claim, it was dealer-caused damage. Thus, they want the item back for possible repair and re-use.

If they thought they could get away with being reimbursed by GM, there's no reason they'd want the old part back.
The manufacturer wants the part back, dealers are required to keep warrantied parts for a certain number of days (depending on the manuf) in case they call for them back.

They aren't going to repair and reuse it, that's a small southside shop move, not a franchise new car dealer.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Uh, only problem with your explanation is that dealer caused damage is not covered under warranty. Yes, the manufacturer wants some parts back for problem diagnosis, but it's pretty obvious when a splitter is damaged by carelessness.

As I said above, I've seen a number of new car dealers sell "scratch and dent" parts at a discount. By re-use, I don't mean pawn it off on an unsuspecting customer.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-23-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Uh, only problem with your explanation is that dealer caused damage is not covered under warranty. Yes, the manufacturer wants some parts back for problem diagnosis, but it's pretty obvious when a splitter is damaged by carelessness.
Well, that's exactly what we are all saying, lol......they are gaming the system. Yes, it happens, dealers do it and customers do it (look how many want to tune and mod and take it in for warranty work) and that's why the reigns get tighter and tighter.

Could the dealer be selling "scratch and dent" inventory, WalMart style? Sure I guess, but in 25 years in the auto industry and counting, I haven't seen it once, but you've seen "a number" of them so I will leave some room for possibility.

I've never seen a dealer sell damaged parts but I have seen plenty try to work the system.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Somehow I have this feeling that the damage is not terribly serious, and OP's use of the term "ruined" might be slightly overstated.
Its messed up enough for me to have the need to ask for a new one. They let some dumb kid try and put the car on a fkn alignment rack that had a steep incline ramp. He crunched the splitter right in front of me. I admit the damage is only visible from underneath but there's no way i was letting them do that and not replace the part. I'll be honest i didnt want to put the new splitter on right now i thought i would hold on to it for a while in case the splitter on the car got worse and then replace it which i think i should have the right to do, i dont see why i shouldnt. What could they possibly want with it, if they need visual proof they can have pics i dont see why they need the part.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Liter of cola
I brought my 2017 grand sport to a dealer to have its first oil change back in november 2016 and they ruined my front aero piece. They said they would order me a new piece and now it finally arrived 4 months later, i was told i could go in to pick up the part and when i did they refused to give me the part without first giving them the damaged part. I tried to explain that this wont be possible because i keep the car nearly 100 miles away from that dealer and i cant bring the car all the way down just for that. They refused to give me the part, can i get some help with this? I just want the damn part they promised to replace why are they putting me through this headache???
Yes, but they did NOT help me and solve my problem. Probably because it was caused by Chevrolet!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 PM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Splitter

The standard splitter that comes with the Grand Sport does not cost $2000.00.

Last edited by mracer14; 04-23-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Originally Posted by mracer14
The standard splitter that comes with the Grand Sport does not cost $2000.00.
We're talking about the stage 2 carbon fiber splitter. Its part of the carbon flash aero package.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:07 PM
torchredz51
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Same thing happened to me (dealer crunched the carbon fiber splitter). They wanted to get me a new one and replace it, and I said, "Nope. Just give me the cash equivalent of a new splitter." They gave me a check and problem solved.

Tell them to keep the splitter and give you a check instead. Pictures of the damage were sufficient enough to satisfy their insurance company or the general manager or whomever to ok it. That way you don't have to take time off and bring the car in.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:10 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

How can i get in contact with a gm rep? Its not possible for me to bring the car to them without taking off of work.
Why should you even involve a GM Rep? The dealer scratched the car, not GM. GM reps are for resolving warranty issues, not acting as an arbitrator between dealerships and customers. The BBB might be a better bet. And the fact is you took it to them originally, now it's too far away? Doesn't make sense.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:28 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I'll be honest i didnt want to put the new splitter on right now i thought i would hold on to it for a while in case the splitter on the car got worse and then replace it which i think i should have the right to do, i dont see why i shouldnt.
They offered to replace the part, not give you a second part to swap on (or sell) when you see fit. I think their offer is fair. You brought it there once for a $100 oil change so I don't see why you can't bring it there again. Why don't you bring it back for the second oil change?
Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Its messed up enough for me to have the need to ask for a new one. They let some dumb kid try and put the car on a fkn alignment rack that had a steep incline ramp. He crunched the splitter right in front of me. I admit the damage is only visible from underneath but there's no way i was letting them do that and not replace the part. I'll be honest i didnt want to put the new splitter on right now i thought i would hold on to it for a while in case the splitter on the car got worse and then replace it which i think i should have the right to do, i dont see why i shouldnt. What could they possibly want with it, if they need visual proof they can have pics i dont see why they need the part.
Yep, that's what I suspected. You asked for new one, the dealer agreed, paid for it, so now they own the one on your car, or they get to return the new one they ordered. It's not your right to keep both.

Since the damage isn't visible and probably only cosmetic scrapes you'll only see lying on the ground, it'll last as long as the new one will, if you don't hit it again. It sounds to me that you're the one trying to game the system.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-23-2017 at 10:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Satanspawn (04-24-2017), speedlink (04-24-2017), vettetwo (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:50 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

And now that you have admitted you are trying to keep both splitters in the same thread you are asking for help from GM, how do you think that will play out?
The following 4 users liked this post by vettetwo:
Crossed Flags Fan (04-24-2017), Foosh (04-23-2017), Kent1999 (04-23-2017), Satanspawn (04-24-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Are there any GM reps on this forum?

Old 04-24-2017, 12:59 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Lmao, you guys are funny, i'll post pics of the splitter they damaged maybe then you can see im not tryna play ****, they fucked up my car they owe me a new part. Theres no reason for them to take the old splitter theres no point. Im willing to run the damaged splitter on the car for a while cuz its a waste to throw it in the trash, its not a total loss but its also not in proper condition. Doesnt mean they still shouldnt give me a new one for ruining the first one, obviously if there is nothing i can do to simply pick up the part or the equivilant money for it without giving up the damaged part i will just trade them the damaged one for the new one.

I just feel like its a waste to throw a lightly damaged $2k splitter in the trash. I dont agree that all of a sudden they now own the damaged part, thats ridiculous they damaged my property. They shouldnt have any right to ask for any parts off my car.

Last edited by Liter of cola; 04-24-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:11 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I think you're funny too.

As Vettetwo said above, no need to discuss it further here. Just call GM and see how that goes.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:39 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

I think you're funny too.

As Vettetwo said above, no need to discuss it further here. Just call GM and see how that goes.
Whats confusing me is that you seam butthurt about something, you may wanna take it easy there pal.

Last edited by Liter of cola; 04-24-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Are there any GM reps on this forum?