C7 Long Beach Red caliper paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:51 PM
VictorJ
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C7 Long Beach Red caliper paint

Hi all!

I've got a Long Beach Red C7 that came with painted black calipers. I would love to get my calipers painted to match the body of the car, but seems no one (that I can find anyway) sells caliper paint in Long Beach Red to match the body.

I'm told its because the Long Beach Red (LBR) color is a 3 step process. Torch Red + Tint Coat + Metallic Clear coat = LBR. I haven't heard that officially, its just what others have told me.

Either way, finding this color in caliper paint is proving to be extremely difficult.

I found a site G2 USA (https://www.g2usa.com/product/CBCP.html) seems to offer custom color caliper paint. You just give them the color code and they make it.

Has anyone tried the G2 LBR color? Does it look right? Does it have the metallic finish like the body does?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:09 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

I did my calipers in Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic with the G2 system, but I don't have a DSOM car, so I can't speak to the match. I will say the metallic turned out amazing using a Preval sprayer, and honestly the calipers can be a little off and still looked matched due to the shadows and background within the wheel well. I say go for it. It's cheap enough that you can always respray too.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've bought rattle can paint in LBR from automotivetouchup.com and it's been a dead on match, including the flake. LBR doesn't have any torch red in it, they're two different colors.

I've heard good things about g2 and don't doubt they can match it with the flake. I've thought about painting my calipers too, I just haven't gotten around to it. If you do and remember to, I'd love to see some after photos!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:06 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I would bring your car into a local automotive powder coater and if they are any good, the should be able to match the color or come very, very close. Since the calipers don't bump up directly to the OEM paint, you only need to get close to a perfect match.

Another option is to confirm the LBR GM paint code and see if the powder coater can match to the code.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:30 PM
boostaholic786
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorJ
Hi all!

I've got a Long Beach Red C7 that came with painted black calipers. I would love to get my calipers painted to match the body of the car, but seems no one (that I can find anyway) sells caliper paint in Long Beach Red to match the body.

I'm told its because the Long Beach Red (LBR) color is a 3 step process. Torch Red + Tint Coat + Metallic Clear coat = LBR. I haven't heard that officially, its just what others have told me.

Either way, finding this color in caliper paint is proving to be extremely difficult.

I found a site G2 USA (https://www.g2usa.com/product/CBCP.html) seems to offer custom color caliper paint. You just give them the color code and they make it.

Has anyone tried the G2 LBR color? Does it look right? Does it have the metallic finish like the body does?
Just curious since I dont have this particular issue but wouldnt mind changing my red Z51 caliper color to something a little more out there. The only problem is im worried about how I'm going to replicate the Corvette lettering that will sit on top of whatever color I'm thinking about? What are you plans regarding the Corvette logo on the calipers?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:38 PM
eamespm
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I would recommend you do these right and powder coat them instead of using a touch up paint. When powder coating the calibers they will need to be disassemble ( pistons/seals) due to the powder coating process. There are several companies that will do a turn key for you. So do some research in your area and hopefully you can find one or if not, you can shipped them to them.

Below is a company I used for paint matching and had them send me some samples (at no cost) so I could match the color. As others have mentioned don't worry to much about the perfect match but something close will look great.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/powder-coating-colors/
Old 04-23-2017, 09:42 PM
eamespm
Instructor

Originally Posted by boostaholic786
Just curious since I dont have this particular issue but wouldnt mind changing my red Z51 caliper color to something a little more out there. The only problem is im worried about how I'm going to replicate the Corvette lettering that will sit on top of whatever color I'm thinking about? What are you plans regarding the Corvette logo on the calipers?
Most powder coating companies that do calibers will provide the decal and color based on your needs. I think I have seen some corvette caliper decals on EBay as well.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:46 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eamespm
I would recommend you do these right and powder coat them instead of using a touch up paint. When powder coating the calibers they will need to be disassemble ( pistons/seals) due to the powder coating process. There are several companies that will do a turn key for you. So do some research in your area and hopefully you can find one or if not, you can shipped them to them.

Below is a company I used for paint matching and had them send me some samples (at no cost) so I could match the color. As others have mentioned don't worry to much about the perfect match but something close will look great.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/powder-coating-colors/
G2 is not touch up paint. It is a two part, high-temp epoxy system and the results can be quite impressive. Also, it can be done in your driveway with minimal down time (important for a DD) and is much less expensive than powder coating. Also, I love the look of amazement when I tell people I painted them myself. It makes it even more worth it.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:52 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boostaholic786
If only there were a source that numerous forum members have used in the past with good results...

Tower Decals

Might want to check out this thread too.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tion-help.html

Last edited by mdiiulio; 04-24-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
G2 is not touch up paint. It is a two part, high-temp epoxy system and the results can be quite impressive. Also, it can be done in your driveway with minimal down time (important for a DD) and is much less expensive than powder coating. Also, I love the look of amazement when I tell people I painted them myself. It makes it even more worth it.
How did you apply the paint?

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 04-24-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:19 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Just PM'd you Michael
Old 04-24-2017, 08:08 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I would bring your car into a local automotive powder coater and if they are any good, the should be able to match the color or come very, very close. Since the calipers don't bump up directly to the OEM paint, you only need to get close to a perfect match.

Another option is to confirm the LBR GM paint code and see if the powder coater can match to the code.
Powder coating will look wayyyyyyy better than u painting your calipers. Since the paint is baked on it is very durable. I have never seen a good u paint it job that can come close to factory or powder coated calipers A good powder coater can match any color your want.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I had Mike the Powder Coater, a Forum Vendor, do my C6 calipers in Monterey Red. I'm sure he can do C7 calipers too. They were perfect! Check him out.

My C6:

Name:  DSCN1836_739A_zps85c1e840.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  73.9 KB
Old 04-24-2017, 04:11 PM
eamespm
Instructor

[QUOTE=Mike Campbell;1594594805]I had Mike the Powder Coater, a Forum Vendor, do my C6 calipers in Monterey Red. I'm sure he can do C7 calipers too. They were perfect! Check him out.

Is Mike the Airline Pilot From Georgia? if so his web site states he not taking on any new clients until he retires. But it looks he does great work!

Last edited by eamespm; 04-24-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

He does do great work but I'm not sure if he is an airline pilot. We never talked about that to be honest. However, in my car the calipers matched the metallic in the paint too. The photo's don't pick it up but maybe find out how long until he retires.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Long Beach Red caliper paint

Quick Reply: C7 Long Beach Red caliper paint