C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time C7 Corvette Stingray purchase questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:04 AM
Brohman21
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Default First time C7 Corvette Stingray purchase questions..

Hey forum folks,
So I'll be purchasing a brand new C7 Corvette Stingray in about 5 months and I'd love to hear what you guys think is pertanant for me to include in the car when I'm customizing everything as a mid twenties guy who has never owned a Corvette but only wants to buy new? What things are necessary and what things are not. Or just things that could be lived without. I know it all comes down to what I personally want to include, but again I'm looking for your opinions. Thanks guys!
Jamie G.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:41 AM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

Personally speaking, I would go for at least the 2LT trim package which comes with heated and ventilated seats and front parking cameras.

I love the heated and ventilated seats and the front parking cameras can come in handy when pulling into parking spaces that have those short cement barriers in front.

Just my opinion!

Corvette Sales & Incentives

The following users liked this post:
repo czar (09-16-2018)
Old 04-25-2017, 06:41 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Brohman21
Hey forum folks,
So I'll be purchasing a brand new C7 Corvette Stingray in about 5 months and I'd love to hear what you guys think is pertanant for me to include in the car when I'm customizing everything as a mid twenties guy who has never owned a Corvette but only wants to buy new? What things are necessary and what things are not. Or just things that could be lived without. I know it all comes down to what I personally want to include, but again I'm looking for your opinions. Thanks guys!
Jamie G.
Are you interested in performance or looks and comfort?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:42 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

2lt also has the HUD which I'm glad I have. ALSO paid extra for chrome wheels and red calipers, both of which were very expensive options. The vert is the only way to go!
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2017, 06:54 AM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Are you interested in performance or looks and comfort?
I really want performance but looks may be the easiest on the wallet lol
Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 AM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by kitesurfer
2lt also has the HUD which I'm glad I have. ALSO paid extra for chrome wheels and red calipers, both of which were very expensive options. The vert is the only way to go!
Beautiful. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:55 AM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by MacMulkin
Personally speaking, I would go for at least the 2LT trim package which comes with heated and ventilated seats and front parking cameras.

I love the heated and ventilated seats and the front parking cameras can come in handy when pulling into parking spaces that have those short cement barriers in front.

Just my opinion!
Awesome. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:56 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Agree with 2LT as a start.
Also like a contrast against the car color with brake calipers - not expensive , just $500.
If you get a base Stingray consider the Z51 spoiler option.
So many performance items and so many opinions I won't even comment - build what you want and be satisfied.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 AM
Brohman21
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtaxman
Agree with 2LT as a start.
Also like a contrast against the car color with brake calipers - not expensive , just $500.
If you get a base Stingray consider the Z51 spoiler option.
So many performance items and so many opinions I won't even comment - build what you want and be satisfied.
Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:02 AM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree with the above posts regarding: 2LT package, and chrome wheels. I would add to your must have list the NPP Performance Exhaust option.

Also, once you purchase your new C7, I would also buy:

1. Lloyd's Double Logo mats for the passenger area and cargo area, as the stock mats that come with the car are a little cheesey; and

2. Carbon flash exhaust filler plate from RPI Designs, which nicely fills in the back end look of the C7, and, is easy to self install.

The rest of the "mods" are really a matter of your personal preference.

Good luck with your purchase. You are going to truly love the new C7.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:09 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

I am a minimalist in most things in life. The 1lt fits me fine. The horsepower was not compromised in the 1LT. Fits me just right!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

If you value performance go Z51 as a minimum.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 AM
SMT1004
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

I have the 1LT, gave me that much more to personilze my car. If your going to purchase it and drive it as a daily driver then 2LT is probably the way to go. Horsepower is the same on all trim models, Z06 the exception. Wheels, I would spring the extra $ so you don't have to mess with it later. Whatever you get you'll be one happy camper.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Haven't we seen this movie before? What are the odds this kid ever actually goes out and buys a car? Maybe if we all live long enough we may find out.

Of course unlike many of us he has time on his side. Life looks shorter from the 59th floor. That's what I told Mrs. Pcad when I bought the new Corvette, an amount of $ I thought i'd NEVER blow on something as self-indulgent as a $60K+ sports car. No regrets, but there's a reason I never spent that much money on a car in the preceding 58 years, despite having the means: it's a massively stupid money maneuver on one level, indefensible. But life is not all about fiscal prudence, there's, well, you know.. life.

I was in the car biz for nearly a decade c. 1983-1991, I sold high line luxury cars retail and then wholesale, so I'm acutely aware of what a mook I am buying a sled like this @ retail, how much money it's costing me, etc. WhatEVER. Do what makes you happy kid, and don't let the Get Off My Lawn crowd here get you down, you'll be crankier after life beats the crap out of you for a few more decades too.

That being said, I got a 2017 Z51 2LT M7 with the PDR and no mag ride. I'd agree if you want performance you gotta go Z51 or GS (probably a bigger difference between stock Z-51 vs. non Z-51 than between Z-51 and GS) and the 2LT adds so much gotta have stuff like HUD and cooled seats (the heated seats don't work anyway) that well, you gotta have it. Then you gotta spend a little more dough on the Z06 grill, the black flash badges and if they road noise bothers you the sound deadening mats and you're all set.

Look if you're gonna do it, they're giving away the new ones now. I tried to find a used one for months, they were amazingly overpriced, and they were all sitting and sitting and not getting sold (the latter another typical Corvette phenomena). So it's still financially idiotic, but marginally less so now that you can buy one for $8K+ under sticker.

The following users liked this post:
beaversstonehaven (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 08:01 AM
Ddc017
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I recommend the grand sport if you plan to hold on to the vehicle for some time. The cup wheels, big brakes and standard aero bits are things you will likely add over time anyway, spending a considerable amount of money and even then you still won't have the wide body and msrc. I'm in my mid 20s as well and I found the 1LT to be more than sufficient but can definitely see the argument for 2LT from the older crowd. I just decided the performance and value of the GS was more important than keeping my butt ventilated.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 AM
PANJGUY
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in the same boat as the lucky starter of this thread just about 20 yrs. older and none the wiser! I sold my 97'' 911 last year, luved the car but was not driving it that much and value increased to the point I made 11k from what I had paid for it 9 years earlier. That being said, I am trying to get a feel for the vet market and although the new prices now are such a steal, I am looking for a Z51 with NPP and Mag ride so a 2014 or 2015 is my target to purchase this fall. As most owners in this forum will agree, the hardest words to hear is what your used car is really worth because it is almost always lower than what you think of your baby! So my question to the forum is how negotiable will dealers be when they have 2014 sitting on their lot in November?I've seen redsidual lease #s for 2014 z51s in the mid to high 30s. Last question and sorry for the log thread - my shore condo is about 15 mins from Kerbeck but they do not sell used vettes at all - how do I cash in on a 2014 that gets traded for a new or turned in from a lease to them? Thanks to all for your great knowledge and friendly comments!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:16 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

If you are looking for performance get the Grand Sport. Not knowing what you like in options go with the 2LT. I would get the manual gearbox based on reported issues with the automatic and it is a sports car. Not sure what taxes are like where you live but you are probably looking at about $70K out the door with a manual and closer to $72K with an automatic if you were to buy right now.

I know you don't want used but you can find low mileage Z51's for $45-50K all day used. I paid $47,800 for a 2016 Z51 with magride and PDR and it had 2600 miles on the odometer and the majority of the warranty left.

But hey it's your money

Get notified of new replies

To First time C7 Corvette Stingray purchase questions..

Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 AM
twowinns
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Brohman21
Hey forum folks,
Jamie G.
I'm very happy with my 3LT base Stingray. I love the NPP Exhaust and Heads-Up display, I just wish it had the Performance Data Recorder.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:48 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you working within a budget?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:52 AM
twowinns
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by PANJGUY
I am in the same boat as the lucky starter of this thread just about 20 yrs. older and none the wiser! I sold my 97'' 911 last year, luved the car but was not driving it that much and value increased to the point I made 11k from what I had paid for it 9 years earlier. That being said, I am trying to get a feel for the vet market and although the new prices now are such a steal, I am looking for a Z51 with NPP and Mag ride so a 2014 or 2015 is my target to purchase this fall. As most owners in this forum will agree, the hardest words to hear is what your used car is really worth because it is almost always lower than what you think of your baby! So my question to the forum is how negotiable will dealers be when they have 2014 sitting on their lot in November?I've seen redsidual lease #s for 2014 z51s in the mid to high 30s. Last question and sorry for the log thread - my shore condo is about 15 mins from Kerbeck but they do not sell used vettes at all - how do I cash in on a 2014 that gets traded for a new or turned in from a lease to them? Thanks to all for your great knowledge and friendly comments!
I bought a 2014 last year, and saved ~$20,000 off its original sticker price. A new, discounted 2016 at the time still would have been ~$10,000 more. I ultimately did it for the color choice, as my Green was only produced in 2014. The financial savings was an additional benefit.

I found mine on an Autotrader add from a Chevy dealer out of state. Cars.com, Craigslist, and other forum-sponsoring dealers may have a used inventory. Even forum members might be selling one you'd like.

Good luck.

Last edited by twowinns; 04-25-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: First time C7 Corvette Stingray purchase questions..