Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film shows dirt on leading edges

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 02:24 PM
bannonb
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film shows dirt on leading edges

I'm not sure if the film is XPEL or ScotchGuard or something else.

I just acquired a used 2016 3LT/Z51 Auto Coupe with film over most of the car.

I expect it will protect the paint fine and looks clean but have noticed that my bright yellow car has dirt lines on the leading edges of the panels where the film is installed.

This car only has 2200 miles on it and I hate to think that this will continue to get worse over time without intervention.

Is this to be expected. I guess I now expect it but hoped not to.

Has this happened to you?

Is there a way to clean the dirt off of those edges while not removing adhesive where it will peel up? I thought that alcohol would probably remove both the dirt and the adhesive so don't want to start that.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:28 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by bannonb

I expect it will protect the paint fine and looks clean but have noticed that my bright yellow car has dirt lines on the leading edges of the panels where the film is installed.

This car only has 2200 miles on it and I hate to think that this will continue to get worse over time without intervention.

Is there a way to clean the dirt off of those edges while not removing adhesive where it will peel up? I thought that alcohol would probably remove both the dirt and the adhesive so don't want to start that.

Based on your description, appears the original installer did not wrap the PPF edges, instead leaving a edge that will catch wax/dirt. The fix is easy. Xpel sells product specifically to clean and protect their PPF.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Not necessarily. Even on a wrapped car, there will be some edges. And yes, can be cleaned, needs a little detail work. Can also be avoided a little based on cleaning techniques.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:31 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Use a soft toothbrush, works great.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:50 PM
blueDelusions
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

what can happen is if the installer installs the film over an edge, like where the doors transition from the bottom to the middle, there is an edge there. If the film goes just ever so slightly past that edge, usually not noticeable by the naked eye, dirt collects in there because it is adhesive. There is no good way to clean it because the dirt is stuck to the adhesive, it has to be cut lower than the edge.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:04 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I had the same problem...spray some detail spray on the edge and use a micro fiber towel with you finger nail inside and it will take the white from the leftover wax off.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:06 PM
bannonb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by capecodvette
Based on your description, appears the original installer did not wrap the PPF edges, instead leaving a edge that will catch wax/dirt. The fix is easy. Xpel sells product specifically to clean and protect their PPF.
The XPEL aftercare product line includes a film cleaner. Not sure how this will work on the edges and if it will make the film peel up...

XPEL Paint Protection Film Cleaner is designed to extract most environmental deposits such as tar, oil, hard water stains, bug acids and other contaminants from Polyurethane paint protection films. Its deep cleaning action restores the clear, glossy, freshly-installed appearance of the original film.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:09 PM
bannonb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I had the same problem...spray some detail spray on the edge and use a micro fiber towel with you finger nail inside and it will take the white from the leftover wax off.
Not sure if this car has ever been waxed. I bought it used but appears to have been wrapped brand new. So particles show as black. Thanks for the tip though, I'll probably try that to get the black off in the short term.

Now if there was a touch up adhesive I could apply to the edges when cleaned, that might solve the problem for go-forward maintenance for years.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:28 PM
bannonb
Intermediate

Just talked to XPEL. They said if the edges are compromised, that it was probably an installation problem. A qualified installer can use a (laser knife?) to cut those edges back. Once this has started it is likely to get worse.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:34 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 162 Likes on 107 Posts

Things like this are exactly why I avoid the stuff. I will take a rock chip or two vs. all this "installer error" finger pointing and risk of deterioration like this down the road.

It's all the rage right now, I get that, but more trouble than its worth to me. To each his own. Guess I'm just old school. Defensive driver.

Last edited by bub; 05-03-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:41 PM
bannonb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bub
Things like this are exactly why I avoid the stuff. I will take a rock chip or two vs. all this "installer error" finger pointing and risk of deterioration like this down the road.

It's all the rage right now, I get that, but more trouble than its worth to me. To each his own. Guess I'm just old school. Defensive driver.
I somewhat agree...I wouldn't have done this myself, but the used car came with it. I look forward to seeing if it does make a difference over time in appearance. I know one difference will be caring for the film itself. Cheaper than paint but I've had many cars without the film and did just fine.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:29 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Hello, regardless if this was XPEL or another brand, the exposed edges will gather dirt/dust over time. A good detail spray or even isopropyl alcohol(if its wax buildup) is your friend to clean the edges. Most installers will wrap edges where possible with minimal seams visible. Don't pick at the film, although a qtip or soft microfiber will work just fine.

Just talked to XPEL. They said if the edges are compromised, that it was probably an installation problem. A qualified installer can use a (laser knife?) to cut those edges back. Once this has started it is likely to get worse.
An installer can use an Olfa Knife (razor knife) the trim any excess film or an edge that is incorrectly done.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:12 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Had this problem on my yellow C5 with 3M film.
Could not get the black dirt out of the edges no matter what I tried.
Tooth brush, cleaners, etc.
This is why I will never have film put on my C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Protection Film shows dirt on leading edges

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film shows dirt on leading edges