Sponsored by:

XPEL ultimate over Admiral Blue

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:20 AM
Mike L Z06
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XPEL ultimate over Admiral Blue

Xpel is the only film protection available within a 100 mile radius from me, seems like a great product and the self healing aspect of the film are phenomenal. My car is admiral blue metallic looking to do a whole car wrap and was wondering how the true color shows through the film, does the metallic still pop in the sun, is there depth to the color also what are the cons to this product on darker metallic colors.

Mike
Old 05-05-2017, 05:41 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

I've seen it on black. It does nothing to detract from the color unless you have visible edges which in your case you will not. Get it.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Some here on the forum love Xpel others wouldn't waste the money. Search the threads.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

I have Xpel on my Admiral blue. The parts that are covered look exactly like the parts not covered.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:46 AM
George Washnak
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I'm with Snowwolfe, my Admiral Blue paint looks exactly like the uncovered areas in both the sun and in the shade. If that's your only worry, I wouldn't hesitate to have it done.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Rich2000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the complete Xpel wrap and see no adverse difference, color may pop even more.

A few pics from pickup.
Attached Images    
Old 05-05-2017, 02:09 PM
IM3CPO
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the whole car covered and while its not blue, I can tell you that it didnt adversely affect the color:

Old 05-05-2017, 04:21 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I have Xpel on my Admiral blue. The parts that are covered look exactly like the parts not covered.
Same here
Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
I've seen it on black. It does nothing to detract from the color unless you have visible edges which in your case you will not. Get it.
I agree--have it on my all black 2015 Z51 Vert. The self-healing is overrated. I've got 4 nicks right in one spot on the right side of the front bumper that I can see from 10 feet away. One of these days I'll have the bumper redone. I've covered the entire front end (bumper, hood and fenders), backs of mirrors and the rockers. I wouldn't cover the whole car--that's nuts, but it's your money.

I drive mine to work on nice days and with all the road construction, without the expel, my car would be hammered with stone chips. The stuff protects--it just doesn't "heal" all that great. But in 2 1/2 years it hasn't yellowed and cleans up nicely as far as bug guts etc...goes.

Last edited by boxster99t; 05-05-2017 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Blackbird13 (09-23-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Fr333zy
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 17 GS in AB and got full car Xpel'd besides the roof and doors. Looking from 2" away, I can't tell which pieces have it and which don't. I have to open the hood to see the seams. No regrets, would recommend it to anyone.

Delivery from MacMulkin

A week ago
Old 05-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Never Settle
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

don't worry, if the installer is good, it will be awesome.. the best thing about it, washing it is a breeze!
also look into a ceramic coat if you have the means or if youre just crazy about it like me, makes it even easier to maintain and makes it pop a little more imo..

xpel + cQuartz Finest

Old 05-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by boxster99t
I agree--have it on my all black 2015 Z51 Vert. The self-healing is overrated. I've got 4 nicks right in one spot on the right side of the front bumper that I can see from 10 feet away. One of these days I'll have the bumper redone. I've covered the entire front end (bumper, hood and fenders), backs of mirrors and the rockers. I wouldn't cover the whole car--that's nuts, but it's your money.

I drive mine to work on nice days and with all the road construction, without the expel, my car would be hammered with stone chips. The stuff protects--it just doesn't "heal" all that great. But in 2 1/2 years it hasn't yellowed and cleans up nicely as far as bug guts etc...goes.
The self healing doesn't exist. If you drive the car where it will take significant hits from bugs or debris the material definitely shows where the impact occurred. I have had it on my car for over a year and none of the spots have healed. Even my installer told me it was a myth.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
dvilin (09-23-2017), Mike Campbell (09-23-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Mike L Z06
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the feed back, I'm going for it! BTW great looking cars.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:17 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Can anyone explain or link to an explanation of how doing a ceramic coating or a wax over a protective film works? My naive understanding is that wax interacts with paint and things like Xpel are not paints. Chemically / physically what happens when you wax over Xpel?

I searched for an explanation and the answers are always "you can do it" not what is actually happening when you do it.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Dee W
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fr333zy
I bought a 17 GS in AB and got full car Xpel'd besides the roof and doors. Looking from 2" away, I can't tell which pieces have it and which don't. I have to open the hood to see the seams. No regrets, would recommend it to anyone.

Delivery from MacMulkin

A week ago
nice car!

If washing easily is the best part of ppf then id suggest you all look at spray ons like f11 or similar. They cost way less and i never wash anymore. Just rewipe after a week of driving.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Silver&Blue
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Never Settle
don't worry, if the installer is good, it will be awesome.. the best thing about it, washing it is a breeze!
also look into a ceramic coat if you have the means or if youre just crazy about it like me, makes it even easier to maintain and makes it pop a little more imo..

xpel + cQuartz Finest

i was thinking of doing both to my car as well. after the cQuartz do you notice more imperfections in the paint?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:33 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

paint correction > cQuartz > XPEL/PPF > cQuartz for crazzy reflections and protection

I did the following

Clay bar and Iron-x > Rejex > XPEL > Rejex

It looks close to 90% what cQuartz reflections would be but really unless they are parked next to each other you would not know, some will be able to tell because they work with them all the time..

Get notified of new replies

To XPEL ultimate over Admiral Blue

Old 09-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,685 Likes on 5,589 Posts

I'm wrestling with having XPEL applied to my new 17 GS and still haven't come to a definite decision yet. I did come to some conclusions after visiting the XPEL both and seeing dozens of cars at Carlisle with it applied.

1) It's all about the skill level of the person instilling the film, as I observed examples where the film was practically un-detectable and car looked great to others where you could tell it had been coated from yards away.

2) It doesn't offer 100% road hazard protection as I saw one beautiful 17 GS where owner had recently had XPEL applied and a rock or something hit the nose during the drive to Carlisle and took a chunk out the size of a pencil eraser.

3) There's risks as I'm still not sure of the longevity of the product. I saw examples that were coated 4-5 years ago that still looked good but what about 10-12 years from now? I've heard some say their film yellowed over time. Some of us keep our Vettes quite some time.

4) XPEL kind of warranties their product in that if there's a problem they will compensate your installer in the event of product issues with free product (film) to cover material and labor, but what it your installer isn't still around? Again, making your selection of an installer very important. I will probably get the front of my car done and I did find a very good installer in my area which was practically worth the time and cost of my trip to Carlisle.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

XPEL will definitely not dull the color of the blue, I actually think it makes it deeper and bring out more metallic.

I just had Xpel done on my custom painted Busa and the the clarity is excellent, the paint looks deeper and more defined...

Name:  yGkwCCK.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  1.88 MB

Last edited by ajrothm; 09-24-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:15 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the whole front, mirrors and the rear fenders on my 09 Cyber/Grey Z and was very happy with it. It was on the car for 6 years and still looked like new when I traded it a month ago on a 17 Watkins Glen Grey Z. That car I had the lower part and the rear fender done at Carlisle a few weeks back. The front end will be done soon, I needed to wait until the custom stripes were on the car.

Needless to say I highly recommend the product.

Quick Reply: XPEL ultimate over Admiral Blue