Sponsored by:

Highway or freeway?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:17 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Default Highway or freeway?

After moving down to Lake Havasu and traveling the Highways down here, I find it a lot more satisfying than driving freeways on road trips and commutes. On these 65 mph two lane highways I find it quite satisfying when passing cars and trucks going under the speed limit. Of course in a safe manner. Just being able to put that throttle to the floor and quickly pass is a pretty good feeling. One has to be careful to keep it under a hundred. It's really amazing how quickly these cars can get up into triple digit territory. But how about you gals and guys out there? Don't you find it a lot more preferable to travel highways as opposed to freeways? You really can't stretch these cars out on a freeway like you can a good old fashion highway in my opinion.

Last edited by joemessman; 05-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I prefer MilkyWays.

Never gave it much thought. I actually like back roads.
The following users liked this post:
Spasetrucker (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:06 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Why is it that we drive on the Parkway and park on the Driveway?
The following 4 users liked this post by RedC7AZ:
Gearhead Jim (10-17-2019), GM'er (05-05-2017), jmmoh (05-06-2017), sunsalem (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:11 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Why is something sent on a ship referred to as cargo, but something sent via car or truck is called a shipment?

I view a "highway" as anything more than a typical suburban multi-lane road - and a "freeway" is basically just a limited-access highway without any tolls on it.

Maybe the question would be better asked if one prefers a US highway (usually not a divided highway & one that may have intersections, cross traffic or stoplights.) or an Interstate highway (limited access with no cross traffic, no stoplights, etc.) that goes on an on for miles and miles.

With a new Corvette, most any road can be enjoyable -- but the biggest limitation is the lack of driving skill among most others with whom we must share the road.

Last edited by JK 23112; 05-05-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Z51Tim
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default i agree too

a lot less likely to find radar( if you get a little over exuberant ) but more likely to find sand and rocks on the road,,,i love the hwy from Bullhead city through Lake Havasu down to Quartzsite ,,I haven't driven it in the Vette yet,maybe next winter when we migrate south,,
Old 05-05-2017, 12:27 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Why is it that we drive on the Parkway and park on the Driveway?
Interesting observation
Old 05-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Highway driving for me is just too boring. I like open winding country side roads with turns and little traffic where I can vary speeds.
sunsalem (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:03 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I tend to agree with the OP....however, it also depends on where I am going and if in fact there are roads that would get me there without going on a Freeway. Where I live in Florida....you can cross the state on BACK roads with hardly any traffic, especially on weekdays, that making going from the Gulf to the Atlantic a fantastic trip.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:05 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Every road trip I've ever done has parts that are just A-B, while others can be more "scenic." Let's face it, 400 miles of 2-lane road gets tedious after a while.

Gonna take a "new car" road trip next month over to Kill Devil's Hill. Interstate most of the way, with Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway as feature events. It's gonna be fun!

Have a good one,
Mike
joemessman (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I drive on Interstates. What's a freeway?
Old 05-05-2017, 01:20 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
After moving down to Lake Havasu and traveling the Highways down here, I find it a lot more satisfying than driving freeways on road trips and commutes. On these 65 mph two lane highways I find it quite satisfying when passing cars and trucks going under the speed limit. Of course in a safe manner. Just being able to put that throttle to the floor and quickly pass is a pretty good feeling. One has to be careful to keep it under a hundred. It's really amazing how quickly these cars can get up into triple digit territory. But how about you gals and guys out there? Don't you find it a lot more preferable to travel highways as opposed to freeways? You really can't stretch these cars out on a freeway like you can a good old fashion highway in my opinion.
Freeways are for saving time.
Highways are for getting high while...NO WAIT...sorry.

Corvettes are built for the twisties often found courtesy of state/county highways (like Hwy. 22 from Salem to Sisters).

Hope you don't melt down there this summer, Joe.

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Highway driving for me is just too boring. I like open winding country side roads with turns and little traffic where I can vary speeds.
Amen to that.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 PM
1 HOT 07
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Joe,
There are certainly some nice "Highways" in Arizona. Much better than traveling on I-8, I-10, I-40, and I-17. What you really need to do is find some of the back roads of Arizona. Take a trip up to Prescott from Wickenburg up Yarnell Hill through People's Valley and then on to Jerome over Mingus Mountain. There are many more like that and all are scenic and some challenging.
joemessman (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:32 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

Gonna take a "new car" road trip next month over to Kill Devil's Hill. Interstate most of the way, with Tail of the Dragon and Blue Ridge Parkway as feature events. It's gonna be fun!

Careful on the Parkway---many park rangers patrolling there w/ radar and can be/are strict
Old 05-05-2017, 01:46 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Freeways are for saving time.
Highways are for getting high while...NO WAIT...sorry.

Corvettes are built for the twisties often found courtesy of state/county highways (like Hwy. 22 from Salem to Sisters).

Hope you don't melt down there this summer, Joe.

Amen to that.
I drove that Hwy 22 quite a bit. Good twisties and like the 1.0 plus G force on those turns.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:48 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Why do we park on driveways a drive on parkways?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:52 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by witch hunt
Careful on the Parkway---many park rangers patrolling there w/ radar and can be/are strict
I knew that was the case with ToD, but the parkway as well? Any suggestions about how strict they are? I was planning on driving +5, but the corners are where the fun is anyway, not the straights.

Any info would be greatly helpful!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-05-2017, 02:59 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 HOT 07
Joe,
Take a trip up to Prescott from Wickenburg up Yarnell Hill through People's Valley and then on to Jerome over Mingus Mountain. There are many more like that and all are scenic and some challenging.
I used to do that back in the 70s on my old 750 Honda SS...great twisty roads to be found up there.

I drove that Hwy 22 quite a bit. Good twisties and like the 1.0 plus G force on those turns.
Travelled it constantly when I had a house in Salem and Sunriver.
I know it like the back of my hand...pretty sure I still hold some speed records.
Haven't hit it with the Z06 yet though...waiting for the gravel to be swept off before giving it a go.
joemessman (05-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Highway or freeway?

Old 05-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I knew that was the case with ToD, but the parkway as well? Any suggestions about how strict they are? I was planning on driving +5, but the corners are where the fun is anyway, not the straights.

Have a good one,
Mike
5 over is nothing and in summer all of the tourists will slow you more. Blue Ridge is 45 limit and upper part Skyline Drive is 35. Enforcement is federal and they use mobile radar so hard to predict. Beautiful and well maintained road though.
VetteDrmr (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 04:25 PM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

I grew up in Phoenix so highway and freeway are synonymous is my vocabulary. I prefer driving on winding roads and varying speeds the most. The best is passing someone through an underpass so you get that exhaust echo
joemessman (10-19-2019)
Old 05-05-2017, 07:22 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

Have a good one,
Mike
Mike, it's beautiful mountain scenery and almost continuous curvy road with parking overlooks seemingly every half mile, but the speed limit is 45 the entire road and you really can't push it very much at all. Traffic not too bad but try to go during the week, should be about 25-30% lighter than the weekend. The Parkway is actually classified as a type of national park with lots of side hiking trails and such with virtually no commercial business. In fact, commercial vehicles are prohibited from the Parkway. Go to NPS.gov and download plenty of info & maps, there's also plenty of parkway guidebooks avail that are very informative. It's a great drive and I've always loved traveling it--have fun!
VetteDrmr (05-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Highway or freeway?