Sponsored by:

Corvette blessing/curse

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Rowteree
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Corvette blessing/curse

Long story short, I bought my first corvette (c7) when I was 25. I had a clean slate, good money in the bank, no student loans, low housing cost, great credit. Decided to get a c7 as my first "big purchase" financed for some time of course. Surely thought I was making it in the world and I wanted to buy my dream car that I had been looking at since I was 11. I'm 29 now

over the course of a few years I've noticed a few things:

1) immediately noticed all my friends started treating me differently, and some stopped socializing with me what so ever.

2) out of my 10 neighbors around me, only 3 of them talk to me and everyone else just throw nasty looks my way or snide comments.

3) I can't even choose just any gas station, because of the likelyhood of a pan handler coming to ask for money.

4) my father extremely disliked my choice, put a strain on our relationship asking me how come "i didn't settle down first and get married.". I know I know. Father is always right

5) people expect me to pay the corvette tax every where I go thinking I'm some naive young guy who they can rip off.

6) too much attention from the wrong type of people in traffic.

what gives? I pay my bills, my taxes, went to school, didn't have kids , no huge debt besides my home, (120k), contribute to society as a working member, no criminal background. I thought I was supposed to enjoy this time, not contemplate that it was the worst thing that ever happened to me ?

Last edited by Rowteree; 05-06-2017 at 05:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rowteree:
oemtech (05-10-2017), redandtan (05-07-2017), Splitter (05-09-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Don't lose faith. You're right about it all, and everyone else is not. It's your life to live, not theirs.

Keep on truckin' as has been said...
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary '09 C6:
bigsapper (05-06-2017), redandtan (05-07-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:27 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

From your post you strike me as a stand-up guy. The only advice I can give you is to stay that way and try to not be so concerned about what others think about you. Anyone who puts you down because of your success isn't worth your time.
The following 2 users liked this post by mpuzach:
Neil Baker (05-13-2017), redandtan (05-07-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Reading numbers 1 thru 6 the first thought that went though my little mind is, "Damn, some things never change." If you're paying your bills, not asking anyone for help, and minding your on business to hell with what anyone else thinks. I'm past 29 years old by 34 years, and went through the same thing on many occasions. Like you at your age it bothered me, but now that I'm a bit more mature I understand that I should have not. It comes with age young man, and you'll understand when you become a bit more mature. Don't let them worry you, just keep up the good work, enjoy your youth, and drive that new Corvette. Life's to short to let ******** of this world bother you. IMHO.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 05-06-2017 at 05:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (05-10-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:30 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Time to make some new friends. If there is a cars and coffee nearby start attending. You will likely find yourself around people similar to you, and passionate about cars and life. IT really isn't you.
The following 2 users liked this post by thill444:
Carvin (05-10-2017), Corvette ED (05-07-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:34 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,223 Likes on 734 Posts

A lot of people are just jealous . Enjoy your car life is to short who cares what other think.

Last edited by oldC5; 05-06-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:35 PM
Carqwik
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

1) immediately noticed all my friends started treating me differently, and some stopped socializing with me what so ever.

Your friends are getting married and having families...you probably aren't in that league since a Corvette has no practical application once you have kids unless it's an extra car. Or your friends are Eurosnobs...

2) out of my 10 neighbors around me, only 3 of them talk to me and everyone else just throw nasty looks my way or snide comments.

They're jealous...

3) I can't even choose just any gas station, because of the likelyhood of a pan handler coming to ask for money.

Change neighborhoods or learn to say "no"

4) my father extremely disliked my choice, put a strain on our relationship asking me how come "i didn't settle down first and get married.". I know I know. Father is always right

It's his problem, not yours. Remember one of the ten commandments is to "Honor Your Parents." It doesn't say you have to agree or even like them...and once you become a Dad, you'll tell your son the exact same thing.

5) people expect me to pay the corvette tax every where I go thinking I'm some naive young guy who they can rip off.

Good thing you aren't a woman...they get hit with the "gal" tax except they've got the speeding ticket pass card...a few tears!

You are paying attention to them...just don't even bother looking back. Press the "ignore" button. Only pay attention to cute gals that are willing to look...or even more!

Last edited by Carqwik; 05-06-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:37 PM
GregJ2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Don't sweat it. I purchased my first corvette (2008 C6) when I was 28, in 2013. I got a few comments at work like, "you get paid too much". Being a mechanical engineer, I did have a pretty good income, but would just tell everyone that not being married and not having kids allowed me to do such. About 2 weeks ago I just traded in my C6 for a 2015 Z51. Everyone assumed it was mine since it's the same color (just about) and parked in the same spot at work. All I got were compliments about how great the car looked. Being humble about it and not bragging goes a long way. Also where you live could have a lot to do with it! I live in Vegas and cars much more expensive than mine are everywhere. Good luck!!
Old 05-06-2017, 05:41 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowteree

Both of these seem to be a perception problem. I doubt that your friends suddenly stopped socializing with you because you got a new car. And if they did then personally I wouldn't consider them friends. Meantime have you bothered to ask them? Just curious...

Chances are the pan handler won't be asking you for money.

I have a pan handler who lives across the street from my apt complex. He lives in his car, which is always parked there. I've seen him eating in his car. Everyday he goes out and sits by the exit of the busy shopping center that is across the street from where I live. He sits on a stool he has right under a sign that says "please don't patronize pan handling" or something to that effect. It's right where a lot of cars come out and are often lined up to make a right hand turn. Obviously this is a profitable venture for him. He's been there over 10 months now.

I often drive to the Ralphs in that shopping center to do grocery shopping with my vette. I go there with the car when I need to haul a lot of groceries back home. I also often walk over there if I'm cooking and need something little like say an onion or a bottle of wine. Suffice to say this pan handler has seen me many times. He knows me. He knows I drive a vette. And yet he has yet to have even talk to me let alone asked for money.

Father is not always right. I would have said, "If I would settle for settling down and getting married I wouldn't have gotten such a nice car until after I was divorced and in my 50's...". There's no requirement to settle down nor is there a requirement to get married. And with the way the laws are today it's not to the advantage of any man who wishes to make something of himself. Follow your dreams first - while you can!

They could as easily think they can rip you off simply because you're young. Work under the assumption that everybody looks out for their best interests first because by and large they do.

I don't experience this at all.

what gives? I pay my bills, my taxes, went to school, didn't have kids , no huge debt besides my home, (120k), contribute to society as a working member, no criminal background. I thought I was supposed to enjoy this time, not contemplate that it was the worst thing that ever happened to me ?
I think you need to figure out why you have some sort of guilt complex over this. IMHO you're doing it all right.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Rowteree
Instructor

Originally Posted by GregJ2
Don't sweat it. I purchased my first corvette (2008 C6) when I was 28, in 2013. I got a few comments at work like, "you get paid too much". Being a mechanical engineer, I did have a pretty good income, but would just tell everyone that not being married and not having kids allowed me to do such. About 2 weeks ago I just traded in my C6 for a 2015 Z51. Everyone assumed it was mine since it's the same color (just about) and parked in the same spot at work. All I got were compliments about how great the car looked. Being humble about it and not bragging goes a long way. Also where you live could have a lot to do with it! I live in Vegas and cars much more expensive than mine are everywhere. Good luck!!
thanks for all the great advice guys. Seems like it's a common problem with having a car like the corvette.

I live in Houston, so it's not like there aren't people here who have much more lavish things.

And its it's not like I pay attention to people in traffic, it's kind of hard to ignore a person hanging out the window telling me "do a burnout!!!!!!"

and the problem is I never went around bragging about it. Hell most of the time I only even mention it when people ask "still got the vette? "

Last edited by Rowteree; 05-06-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:43 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,415 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Maybe your deodorant stopped working and your plight is unrelated to your car.
The following 3 users liked this post by sTz:
SilverGhost (05-07-2017), SloboGS (05-07-2017), Splitter (05-09-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 PM
GregJ2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for all the great advice guys. Seems like it's a common problem with having a car like the corvette.

I live in Houston, so it's not like there aren't people here who have much more lavish things.

And its it's not like I pay attention to people in traffic, it's kind of hard to ignore a person hanging out the window telling me "do a burnout!!!!!!"

and the problem is I never went around bragging about it. Hell most of the time I only even mention it when people ask "still got the vette? "
I actually like when people want to race or ask me to do a burnout etc, and I usually give them a little wave or nod, and drive off normally. I think it shows maturity and what person can get mad at someone acting like a decent human being.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Rowteree
Instructor

Originally Posted by sTz
Maybe your deodorant stopped working and your plight is unrelated to your car.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:47 PM
vetteorama
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Rowteree-Ah that's a bummer. Some of that extra attention is to be I expected I suppose. I bought my car for me to enjoy. I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks of it. Just enjoy driving it, and forget about the haters.

Last edited by vetteorama; 05-06-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Long story short, I bought my first corvette (c7) when I was 25. I had a clean slate, good money in the bank, no student loans, low housing cost, great credit. Decided to get a c7 as my first "big purchase" financed for some time of course. Surely thought I was making it in the world and I wanted to buy my dream car that I had been looking at since I was 11. I'm 29 now

Screwem all. You're doing it right. Those that treat you different are jealous because you're on the right path in life. Good you did it now. I had to wait until after kids, after kids college, after daughter's weddings. Now I rock my 2016 Z-51 vert!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:38 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default I don't even want to imagine............

..............you hit it really big and get something Italian.........my son is 32, single and very successful and is proud and pleased with his toys (Japanese vehicles are his thing, i.e. Subaru STi among others)

I guess you might just relax and call them first world problems (though I'm having a tough time there with Dad)...good luck young sir
Old 05-06-2017, 07:56 PM
AeroJim
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You worked for it, you earned it, **** them all!
Splitter (05-09-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette blessing/curse

Old 05-06-2017, 08:36 PM
TheSouthernGentleman
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The friends weren't worth caring about if your car ran them off. Say no to the panhandlers and remember, if you look like a target (not the car but you) then you will be. Just smile and say " I know how you feel Dad. Thanks for telling me."

Bottom line, your life an your choices. If you aren't hurting anyone or starving your kids you are good.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome to the club!
Splitter (05-09-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I agree with the guys. Congrats on being a responsible individual.

Quick Reply: Corvette blessing/curse