High miles on new car pick-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM
50th year
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Default High miles on new car pick-up

I have been perplexed on the 32 miles on my new GS. Over the years all of my new corvette orders only had 2 or 3 miles on them. I decided to email the Corvette Technology and Data Services Manager. He may not have been the person to ask but here is the answer I received from him.

can’t say for sure. But my last three Corvettes all had more miles on them. This was because they used to randomly select cars for quality audit, which involved more testing… anything found there would be taken care of at the plant and also provide feedback. I was in a position to ask for the audit (why not make even more sure the car is right before I take delivery) and so they all got the additional miles.

If they are still doing the audit, your car might have been one of the lucky ones. Did you document the odometer reading? That might be an interesting historical fact about your car going forward.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 AM
JDub64
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

When I was on the assembly plant tour a few weeks ago I was told that quality engineers will select a few cars at random for extensive test drives. They take them out on the interstate and put them through their paces. A new Corvette can therefore end up with 20 or 30 miles on it instead of the normal 3 to 5.

This sounds like what you were told by GM and makes sense. I think you can be confident that there was nothing at all wrong with your car when it left Bowling Green!

JW
Old 05-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Just so long as the tires aren't toast or look like someone was abusing the car, I'd be fine with it, too.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:30 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by JDub64
When I was on the assembly plant tour a few weeks ago I was told that quality engineers will select a few cars at random for extensive test drives. They take them out on the interstate and put them through their paces. A new Corvette can therefore end up with 20 or 30 miles on it instead of the normal 3 to 5.

This sounds like what you were told by GM and makes sense. I think you can be confident that there was nothing at all wrong with your car when it left Bowling Green!

JW
Plus was told if this is the fact on the car also take it over to the track.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Extra miles from QC audit can be a good thing, it means your car was gone over a lot more thoroughly at the factory than most! My car was delivered with 3 miles on it, and had it been selected for the audit it would have likely meant a few less things for the dealership to handle under warranty.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:47 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

"I recently visited the Lambo factory and the person giving the tour said many of the cars will be driven up to 50 miles on a test run. This is similar to Ferrari. Go figure." Very typical, I believe that all Ferrari cars are driven on their test track after assembly...all of them. FWIW.

Last edited by jimmie jam; 05-09-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:49 AM
50th year
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

So far no trips to the dealer. 1500 miles. The car doesn't miss a beat at WOT but at low to medium acceleration it acts different. Like the computer is trying to figure it out. Its probably just me and I am not use to the a8. All my previous corvettes were a6 or m6.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:50 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Not an issue op. Mine had 27 miles on it and it was from Criswell (Mike furman) I inquired about the miles and Mike told me the same thing and reiterated they don't test drive new no mile Z06 corvettes. I am pretty sure yours was from the QC dept at the factory.

my only gripe is the couple brake duct chips I had from driving with no side protection before I could get my hands on it.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To High miles on new car pick-up

Quick Reply: High miles on new car pick-up