Sponsored by:

Considering a ZL1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 01:40 PM
blueDelusions
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Considering a ZL1?

Anyone considering a ZL1? or ZL1 1LE over their C7?

I've been getting lots of jabs at work about the ZL1 being such a beast on the track, even running a better lap time than a grand sport at willow, and for the price I have to agree the performance is just amazing. I'm really impressed with what GM is doing on these performance cars, it's simply outstanding.

I'm interested to see what kind of times the zl1 1le pulls at VIR during the lightning laps...It is definitely a sub 2:50 car but by how much... I'm going to guess it is a 2:49 - 2:47 car.

However, maybe it's just me, but honestly I don't like the style...it's just ugly, like really ugly. My boss has a '15 z/28 and of all the recent camaro's I like that one's style the best. This new style isn't doing it for me.

With all the said, to have the grand sport have the lowest amount of horsepower of any of the top 20 cars at VIR, and yet it is a top 10 in time, is truly a feat of engineering. And god damn if it doesn't look sexy.
**edit I probably wasn't all that clear..but I'm not in anyway considering one over my grand sport...the sexiness of the vette can't be overstated I was just curious if anyone else was and why...carry one

Last edited by blueDelusions; 05-11-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:43 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Beautiful cars and an excellent choice. Camaro as fast (or faster) than a Corvette. Instructors at Spring Mountain use several of them albeit not the ZL1, rather SS Camaros. As long as you don't start talking Ford or Chrysler, all cool

Last edited by vbdenny; 05-11-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Sp
The following users liked this post:
Splitter (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:49 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm considering one, but I'm adding not replacing.
Splitter (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:54 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Not considering it. Just bought a new 17 Grand Sport and am happy as can be with it. It'll perform better than my abilities right now so there's no need for more performance, for me. Also, it has a road presence that's undeniable.. simply a bad *** machine!
The following 2 users liked this post by SLOWRYDE:
pdiddy972 (05-18-2017), tractman (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:01 PM
EmbraceNext
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I go through this everyday. I bought a 2017 GrandSport Collector's Edition. Originally I was looking at a 2LZ Z06 vs a Camaro ZL1. But once I saw that Tension Blue, I fell in love. So at this point I was 51/49 leaning towards the GrandSport CE over the ZL1 because there was no option to change the color of the interior of the ZL1. I had a 2010 2SS Inferno Orange with the Orange interior and for almost 8 years, every day I loved the inside of that car. I got a great price for GrandSport CE and took the plunge. However, every day I still think if I did the right thing. I even think about trading the GS CE in on it. I have enough people tell me I am crazy, which I probably am. Right now the worst part of the Corvette is that I am a little too big for the seat. So it reminds me everyday to lose some weight. So we will see. I am glad to see this post, I thought I was the only one.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:08 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
Not considering it. Just bought a new 17 Grand Sport and am happy as can be with it. It'll perform better than my abilities right now so there's no need for more performance, for me. Also, it has a road presence that's undeniable.. simply a bad *** machine!
Make sure you take advantage of the Spring Mountain deal. Just returned last night. My PDR video Wish I had studied the tracks a little more first but all was well.

The following 2 users liked this post by vbdenny:
AaronZ51 (05-14-2017), SLOWRYDE (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:13 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

For most people on the street the Camaro is probably a better car for having fun between stop lights. The latest gen Camaro has definitely crossed from muscle car to sports car and is a heck of a deal but offers very different driving dynamics to the vette. Hundreds of pounds lighter, a true 2 seater, lower center of gravity, much better weight distribution equals an easier car to drive fast. Personally I know I'd be faster at the track in my GS than a ZL1. So although share different engines I find the Vette and Camaro to be very different cars.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Splitter
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blueDelusions
Anyone considering a ZL1? or ZL1 1LE over their C7?

I've been getting lots of jabs at work about the ZL1 being such a beast on the track, even running a better lap time than a grand sport at willow, and for the price I have to agree the performance is just amazing. I'm really impressed with what GM is doing on these performance cars, it's simply outstanding.

I'm interested to see what kind of times the zl1 1le pulls at VIR during the lightning laps...It is definitely a sub 2:50 car but by how much... I'm going to guess it is a 2:49 - 2:47 car.

However, maybe it's just me, but honestly I don't like the style...it's just ugly, like really ugly. My boss has a '15 z/28 and of all the recent camaro's I like that one's style the best. This new style isn't doing it for me.

With all the said, to have the grand sport have the lowest amount of horsepower of any of the top 20 cars at VIR, and yet it is a top 10 in time, is truly a feat of engineering. And god damn if it doesn't look sexy.
**edit I probably wasn't all that clear..but I'm not in anyway considering one over my grand sport...the sexiness of the vette can't be overstated I was just curious if anyone else was and why...carry one
The ZL1 is definitely a BEAST! But I have to agree, I don't like the body style of the 6th gen. Way too 'euro' or JDM looking. Its smaller too (than the 5th gen). I have a Camaro for my daily and will be adding a Z51 to the driveway soon! I've never considered the 6th gen just because it looks a little to euro/ricey to me.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:25 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

I personally like the 6th gen body.... I would absolutely consider the Zl1 in a couple of years once it's depreciated a bit. Gonna need that back seat soon, and don't want to sacrifice a manual transmission or performance. Can't really think of anything better for my next car.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Splitter
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteC7
For most people on the street the Camaro is probably a better car for having fun between stop lights. Personally I know I'd be faster at the track in my GS than a ZL1.
I agree with everything you said other than the two sentences I've quoted. The ZL1 is extremely capable in the corners (and obviously the straights) and sets extremely impressive lap times and is much more fun than simple stop light launches.. The 180 horsepower (460 on GS and 640 on the ZL1) difference would make the lap times close to your GS. I wouldn't put any money down on the ZL1 though... ha.. it would be a close laptime. Technically the ZL1 is faster around Willow Springs than the Grand Sport according to http://fastestlaps.com/models/chevro...te-grand-sport and http://fastestlaps.com/models/chevro...maro-zl1-mk-vi

I'd take the Grand Sport over a ZL1 any day though

Last edited by Splitter; 05-11-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:34 PM
EmbraceNext
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitter
I agree with everything you said other than the two sentences I've quoted. The ZL1 is extremely capable in the corners (and obviously the straights) and sets extremely impressive lap times and is much more fun than simple stop light launches.. The 180 horsepower (460 on GS and 640 on the ZL1) difference would make the lap times close to your GS. I wouldn't put any money down on the ZL1 though... ha.. it would be a close laptime. Are there even any racetracks where ZL1 and Grand Sports have both been raced/timed?

I'd take your Grand Sport over a ZL1 any day though
Willow Springs. Motortrend did a review. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...e-squad-goals/

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs

Last edited by EmbraceNext; 05-11-2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Adding URL
Splitter (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I would take the GS any day over a ZL1. Once you get past the engine and handling components what is left is just a Camaro like the one you can get for 28K.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:43 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by PeteC7
The latest gen Camaro has definitely crossed from muscle car to sports car....
Nope.

Once a muscle car, always a muscle car, no matter how fast it may go. If somebody installed a powerful engine in a Prius and upgraded all of the suspension parts, driveline and all, would you then call it a muscle car?

Of course this is just my opinion. I'm sure you and others may disagree.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:45 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I have not driven the 2017 ZL1, and agree that they are impressive in terms of price to performance. I did drive a 17 Camaro SS before buying my Z51, as I thought the backseat might be nice to have.

First of all, the interior on the new Camaro looks awesome. I would say on par with the Corvette and better than Dodge/Ford muscle cars and light years better than the previous gen Camaro.

That said, I just don't love the bodystyle, the seating position, or the confining cabin. As amazing as the Camaro is from a performance perspective I think Chevy tried way too hard to please the previous generation Camaro owners and made it too similar. The backseat is useless, but even more useless is the process in moving the passenger seat in the ZL1 forward to allow access to the back. IMHO, I would rather just have a 2 seater with a generous hatch area of the C7.

Unless you are a hardcore track junkie, into drag racing, or a magazine/spec racer, I am just not sure the ZL1 makes sense to me over a GS. The C7, to me, feels more driver focused and exotic. The Camaro is still a big car. It is considerably longer than a Corvette and taller and weighs more. The cockpit feels more confining due to the poor visibility.

I think if Chevy would have done more with the styling to distinguish it from the previous generation (made is even smaller and lighter and less muscle car looking) I would have strongly considered.

There are rumors of a 2019 body refresh (spy shots) because I think sales have been very slow and Chevy missed the boat on styling.

The Camaro still looks and feels like a sub $50K car. The Corvette, to me, is more exotic inside and out and hits way above it's price point in terms of looks and you feel like you are driving more of a pure sports car.
pdiddy972 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Nope.

Once a muscle car, always a muscle car, no matter how fast it may go. If somebody installed a powerful engine in a Prius and upgraded all of the suspension parts, driveline and all, would you then call it a muscle car?

Of course this is just my opinion. I'm sure you and others may disagree.

One does not make a 'sports car' out of a pony car just by adding a more powerful engine.

To each their own, but there's no way I'd willingly step down to a Camaro from my C7 Stingray... even if that Camaro was a ZL1.

"I've driven Corvettes. I own a Corvette. Corvettes are friends of mine. Camaro -- you are no Corvette."
(with apologies to Lloyd Bentsen)

Last edited by Kent1999; 05-11-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:57 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I would take the GS any day over a ZL1. Once you get past the engine and handling components what is left is just a Camaro like the one you can get for 28K.

This is the #1 reason I past on a Mustang back in 2012 and decided to return to Corvette ownership with a used C5.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:22 PM
blueDelusions
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
I have not driven the 2017 ZL1, and agree that they are impressive in terms of price to performance. I did drive a 17 Camaro SS before buying my Z51, as I thought the backseat might be nice to have.

First of all, the interior on the new Camaro looks awesome. I would say on par with the Corvette and better than Dodge/Ford muscle cars and light years better than the previous gen Camaro.

That said, I just don't love the bodystyle, the seating position, or the confining cabin. As amazing as the Camaro is from a performance perspective I think Chevy tried way too hard to please the previous generation Camaro owners and made it too similar. The backseat is useless, but even more useless is the process in moving the passenger seat in the ZL1 forward to allow access to the back. IMHO, I would rather just have a 2 seater with a generous hatch area of the C7.

Unless you are a hardcore track junkie, into drag racing, or a magazine/spec racer, I am just not sure the ZL1 makes sense to me over a GS. The C7, to me, feels more driver focused and exotic. The Camaro is still a big car. It is considerably longer than a Corvette and taller and weighs more. The cockpit feels more confining due to the poor visibility.

I think if Chevy would have done more with the styling to distinguish it from the previous generation (made is even smaller and lighter and less muscle car looking) I would have strongly considered.

There are rumors of a 2019 body refresh (spy shots) because I think sales have been very slow and Chevy missed the boat on styling.

The Camaro still looks and feels like a sub $50K car. The Corvette, to me, is more exotic inside and out and hits way above it's price point in terms of looks and you feel like you are driving more of a pure sports car.
You win the thread. I couldn't agree more, you said it perfectly. Glad to hear about the possible refresh. The gen 6 really missed it imo.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a ZL1?

Old 05-11-2017, 05:00 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

As I see it ...they are two different cars....There are much faster cars out there than a Corvette....The Hellcat and Demon come to mind but once again they are NOT a Corvette. No doubt the ZL1 is in that category but like someone before me said it is a completely different car. There are buyers for all of them and even a Corvette buyer might want a ZL1 or one of the other muscle cars out there....For me...it's a CORVETTE.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 PM
born2beS12
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

The biggest issue with the ZL1 is that no matter what kind of performance it has, in the end its still a Camaro. So you will always have to deal with idiots trying to challenge you. With the corvette, it doesn't matter if its a base, z51, GS, zo6 or zr1. fewer people try and challenge just because of what it is, not because of what it can actually do.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:29 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

The Camaro's exterior styling and interior decor are just not for me. Hec, I barely like the Corvette's (yes, I can be a snob having owned a BMW, Jag and a Mercedes in the past). LOL

Nevertheless, I find the ZL1 a stupendous bargain managing that massive engine and exquisitely-tuned suspension. Go GM!

Last edited by KevinGS; 05-11-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering a ZL1?