Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer doc fee at Kerbeck?

Old 05-12-2017, 05:02 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by changw1
I don't mind paying dealer doc fee but I think the way they advertise no doc fee on the ad is very misleading.
They are NOT being deceptive in that ad...the fine print says "except processing fees". You have to read the fine print. The larger print says no "ADDITIONAL FEES". It does not say NO fees. Still a rip off...would never buy there with so many other less expensive options, just sayin.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

My biggest beef with doc fees is the dealers used to do the paperwork as part of the vehicle sale. But, somewhere along the line these fees popped up, and to me they are just clear profit for the dealers. We all know a dealer can't sell a vehicle without the requisite paperwork to go along. Now in North Carolina (maybe other states) they are charging add fees telling customers this is for the manufacturer's commercials, and print adds. So when they tell me they are selling me a car at invoice, they will tack on anywhere from $1000 - $1800 of bullchit fees that they pocket. And to top it off they'll tell you they not making any money on the sale. Pretty cool, uh.....

Now, if I'm buying out of town I would expect to pay any mailing fees associated with the transfer of papers.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 05-12-2017 at 05:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
jimmie jam (05-12-2017), JK 23112 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:09 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

They will never talk about the 3% hold back on the invoiced amount of the car from GM either. Even if they show you a legit invoice they are still making the hold back.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

The sales receipt just has to show the doc fee that was paid, it doesn't say the selling price couldn't be reduced by an equal amount or the trade in value increased by an equal amount. North Carolina has that stupid law as well and I had to negotiate the fee away when I purchased my C7Z. Once we had come to an understanding of the price I was going to pay for the car and what they were going to give me for a trade in the sales guy made out the sales sheet and had the dealer doc fee on it. I had just driven 3 hours to purchase the car and it was late, raining and I was looking at a 3 hour drive home. That still didn't keep me from saying the deal is off if that fee is applied to the sale of the car. I told him I considered it a sharp stick in the eye of the Customer. The good price I had received for my trade in (I wouldn't have made the trip if I hadn't known it was going to be a good price) was increased to cover the fee.

Bill
Rebel Yell (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

If you think that's bad, about 6-7 years ago a local dealership tried to tack on a $1200 fee for get this.... advertising.

I was so stunned I just blurted out to the sales guy "what kind of fool pays that?" and he said "everyone". An obvious lie.

I got up, shook his hand, told him good luck and walked out.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:20 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Now, if I'm buying out of town I would expect to pay any mailing fees associated with the transfer of papers.
I agree it wouldn't be unreasonable. On the other hand, when I am making a $70,000+ purchase I find small add-on fees annoying. MacMulkin FedEx'ed me twice and included a return FedEx envelope once and never asked for any sort of payment for the mailings. I don't know what other forum dealers do but I found this very professional. Otherwise it is "Uh, thanks for your $70,000. Can we, uh, have a CC number so we can charge you $7.95 to mail you the paperwork? And could you, uh, pay $7.95 to send us that big check?"

I found the same thing at the NCM. You pay $990 for museum delivery which is expensive but fine--it's a great experience. Then they ask if you want to window sticker ($30) and would you like it laminated ($5). Really? We are going to line-item lamination? When it came time to put my (cardboard) temp plates on, John remembered that I was going to drive in a huge rainstorm on the way home. He went and laminated the plate before attaching it. That to me is what I expect if I'm paying $1000 for an "experience". YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by ColoradoGS:
MacMulkin (05-14-2017), Rebel Yell (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
///Now, if I'm buying out of town I would expect to pay any mailing fees associated with the transfer of papers.
With Mac, I had to pay to overnight a deposit check to get in in the allocation they had asap. I think the rest was covered by them. FEDEX overnight pouches. Pretty sure they included a return pouch for the paperwork and cashiers check once the car existed.

BTW, that was the most fun I've ever had filling out paperwork. That was when I realized the car was 100% happening. Never bought a new car before. Very exciting.
The following 2 users liked this post by DAFFYDRUNK:
beaversstonehaven (05-13-2017), Rebel Yell (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Like everyone sez, no surprise fees at MacMulkin. You show up with the exact price that was quoted. No BS. As long as you don't live in New hampshire, you don't pay any registration fees or sales tax till you get to your own DMV. MacMulkin even put temporary New Hampshire plates on the car so I could drive it home. No charge for the temp plates either. It was a great car buying experience.
The following 3 users liked this post by Globeman:
JK 23112 (05-13-2017), MacMulkin (05-14-2017), Walt White Coupe (05-13-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 05:50 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
If you think that's bad, about 6-7 years ago a local dealership tried to tack on a $1200 fee for get this.... advertising.

I was so stunned I just blurted out to the sales guy "what kind of fool pays that?" and he said "everyone". An obvious lie.

I got up, shook his hand, told him good luck and walked out.
I had this happen once. I ordered a 2000 Tahoe from a Chevy dealer in Austin. 10+ weeks later it was built and arrived. I went to go pay for it / pick it up and in the paperwork I noticed a $700 dealer advertising fee. No mention had been made of it when I placed the order. I asked about it and got the same "it is standard, you have to pay it" line. I thanked him for his time and walked out of the dealership.

I was sure that they would do the whole "follow me into the lot" or "call me on the way home" deal but nope, nothing. I think they assumed that if I waited 10 weeks for the car that I would pay any fee they could come up with.

So I drove across town to a different Chevy dealer. As I was walking in the lobby a woman at the front desk (for some reason) did not wait for me to reach her and yelled out "Can I help you?" I yelled back "I'm looking for a salesman who wants to make an immediate sale." The sales desks lined the sides of the lobby and I think several of salesmen injured themselves trying to reach me first.

I explained what just happened and we agreed on the same price (invoice) and no dealer doc fees or advertising fees. We started on the paperwork and the salesman came back in with this sheepish look. His manager was insisting on dealer advertising fees. I didn't even have to make the argument. He dropped the price below invoice the exact amount of the advertising fees. It was a nice truck when it arrived 10 weeks later...
Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I bought my C7Z at Kerbeck, I did the DMV work, and I didn't pay any doc fees. DMV charged me a $25 fee because I didn't submit the paperwork quick enough. I submitted it the day after I received it in the mail.

Last edited by rbartick; 05-12-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Originally Posted by changw1
I am new to the forum and going to pull the trigger on a GS. When I talked to Kerbeck today, I was told that they charge a $379 doc fee if the buyer need to finance the vehicle with any financial institutions. The doc fee is only waived for a cash purchase. Does anyone have the same experience?
I would be more concerned with the bottom line than a doc fee on car selling for $50k plus. Assuming you are financing, since the cash deal doesn't require the doc fee...What is the interest rate you are paying at one dealer vs another. Kerbeck is offering 1.99%. Can the other dealers get you this rate? A .25% difference in the interest rate will more than wipe out the cost of a doc fee over the term of the loan.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Nope

Here in the PNW dealers will add the fee and will be reticent to remove it BUT I have held my ground on this one and have not paid the fee. I always wait till just before I sign and see it, say nope and they have either waived it or lowered the price by that amount...

I know, especially with the numbers around it the 150 - 200 bucks added might seem petty but it is a (small) gesture on the dealer's part to show they want my business now and in the future.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:21 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

When I bought my 2014, I negotiated an "out the door" price. I frankly don't care what the dealer adds on or whatever gyrations they do. I had a price that, IMO, was fair to me and the dealer.....they can put ANY thing under "doc fees/prep/whatever" for THEIR accounting, in the end, I paid the "out the door" price and wrote the check for THAT amount.

I think folks get in trouble when they start trying to play the DEALER'S game with all the various fees/taxes that a dealer can pile on. Do your homework (as a consumer) and come up with a NUMBER that YOU are happy with. Then, YOU say here's what I will pay, OUT THE DOOR. Then the dealer has the choice to accept or decline.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-12-2017 at 07:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimmyb:
direct007 (05-12-2017), NavyBlue2 (05-14-2017), Z06NJ (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 07:27 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I negotiate bottom line - show it anyway you want on the paperwork. I spent many years in the car business - from the sales floor to closer, new car sales manager... When it comes to buying cars (or motorcycles) my attitude toward the dealer is simple: take the deal; don't take the deal - I don't care. I'm not unreasonable and I typically have a good idea where it realistically should be. I'm never buying something that is so hot I cant find it elsewhere.
direct007 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I can't believe you guys have not brought up the charge for inflating your tires with nitrogen!
Old 05-12-2017, 09:22 PM
itchiesvette
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Why anyone would pay a doc fee when they can accomplish literally the exact same thing and a similar experience without a fee blows my mind.
call MacMulkin they are the best !
MacMulkin (05-14-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I also purchased my Vette from MacMulkin. Good dealer without doc fees, however, I see nothing wrong with Kerbeck charging whatever they want. You clearly knew what the fees were before finalizing the purchase. If you don't like it, then move on...

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer doc fee at Kerbeck?

Old 05-12-2017, 10:42 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadoka
$129 Administrative Fee
$129 Clerical Expense
$121 Document Transmittal Service

So there's the $379.
How bogus this is. Why not charge us for janitorial fee, utility fee, water fee, salaries fee, etc, ad nauseam. Their admin fees are part of doing business, period. For me it's the bottom line, and their fees factor in. In LA dealers can't charge more than $200 for a doc fee, which IMO is still bogus. Having no such profit gouging practices is one reason I bought from MacMulkin. Also, their cars are stored indoors and they do no demo rides, so your new car should be actually new.

Last edited by iclick; 05-12-2017 at 10:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by iclick:
JK 23112 (05-13-2017), MacMulkin (05-14-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 10:56 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for explaining this, always wondered
Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Easy question to answer.

NJ has a very strict law about the doc fee and was the center of a giant law suit some 10 or 15 years ago.

The law in NJ is that if you charge anyone a doc fee then you must charge it to everyone and it must be the same amount. You can not change it or waive it.

The only way around charging the doc fee is to not do the DMV work that is associated with the doc fee. If the customer does their own DMV then there is no doc fee.

If you decide to finance your vehicle, we are required by the banks to make sure the lien is put on the title or we owe all of that money back to the bank. So, if you finance, we must do the DMV work and, by NJ law, we must charge the doc fee.

For a while, we were letting everyone choose to do their own DMV work but there were a few (including a few forum members) who did not do the DMV properly with the lien. Most fixed this issue after weeks of calls and emails but a few (including 2 un-named forum members) never did fix their titles and now we won't be paid for the cars until they payoff their loans, assuming they ever do.

So, we don't require customers to pay a doc fee. If you choose to have us do your DMV or your bank requires us to do so, then we will charge the $379 doc fee.

Dave
beaversstonehaven (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought a car once and saw a $175 fee for "ADP". The salesman was reluctant to tell me what it meant. Finally he admitted that it was 'Additional Dealer Profit'. I think most people are so excited about getting their new car that they don't pay attention to a few $100 of unexpected cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer doc fee at Kerbeck?