Sponsored by:

Pcad's C7 black exhaust tip saga concludes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Pcad's C7 black exhaust tip saga concludes

Yes, you read that right, I finally painted my own exhaust tips using the Rustoleum 2000º high heat automotive spray paint. My original intention was to only paint the backward faces and leave the rest stainless steel. But when I tried to mask them and removed the tape after painting, I just couldn't get a perfect paint stainless edge. So I had to remask everything and paint the whole tip, exterior as well.

Then after painting (primer, flat black, gloss clear) I was unhappy with the uneven appearance of the gloss clear, and how it accentuated my paint imperfections. Had I done these right the first time- i.e., committed to painting the entire tip and not had a false start - there would have been less paint glommed up and it would have come out better. Anyway after the clear looked uneven I did one more (very light) shot with the flat black. Now it looks fine, very low key. I like it.

That was before I went back with the flat black. Not so shiny now. But looks professional, i.e., not like somebody sprayed the exhaust of their $60K sports car with BBQ paint. Much more understated and badass, I never liked those honkin exhaust horns and they haven't grown on me. But take them down with the black and they work well to my eyes, particularly with the semi-murdered black on red look I have going on with my Z51.

It was a real pain in the *** to mask this - and a BIGGER pain to get all the tape off. If I have any issues with the finish, I'll bring it to my body shop and he'll drop that rear bumper, strip the paint off the stainless tips and then re-do this right. Easy job if you drop the bumper and throw this up on a lift, and that's how he would do this. Maybe he'll charge me $250-$300 to do all that. But for now I'm pleased with the results.

Last edited by patentcad; 05-16-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 AM
The Creeper
Race Director

Received 83 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice.

Do you think the primer would still be needed with just the flat black?

Last edited by The Creeper; 05-16-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 AM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Dana M
Very nice.

Do you think the primer would still be needed with just the flat black?
How many coats of primer should one do on this?

What about sanding the stainless. What kind of material would you use?
Old 05-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Looks great!
Old 05-16-2017, 01:56 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Looks very nice!

Of course I am having to clean mine so often (Z06) that I think if I just quit cleaning them so often they would be naturally black coated after a few weeks
Old 05-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

If with you NSC, I'm so tempted to just give up cleaning them permanently. I wonder what's the worse will happen? How bad can that junk pile up?

Anyone have a picture of un-cleaned exhaust after 2 or 3 months of almost daily driving?
Old 05-16-2017, 02:55 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Z06NJ, the only problem is it does get harder to remove the longer it is left on. I find a quick wipe with a paper towel and WD40 once a week takes care of it. My ATS 3.6L (direct injection also) gets driven more miles and once a month cleaning keeps the pipes pretty clean.

My 2006 GMC diesel pickup (built prior to diesel particulate filters) has a properly sooted up black pipe and requires no pipe cleaning. Under a burst of full throttle it will generate a nice black smoke screen and I am generally pretty nice about it but last year I had to follow a bicycle rider for over 8 miles on Little River road in the TN Smoky mountains who rode in the middle of the lane and refused to use any of the pull over passing spots. I was first in line behind him and the traffic jam behind us was as far as my daughter and I could see. When we finally reached a passing zone I left him in a very much deserved thick cloud of black smoke and I hope he enjoyed the taste and smell of it as much as I enjoyed providing it for him.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:56 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Clearly you aren't a Chromie Geezer.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:48 PM
The Creeper
Race Director

I would really like to know the full process, and materials used, I would like to do this for my Vett.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:45 AM
patentcad
Drifting

The rear of the car looks a lot better with the black tips.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:53 AM
patentcad
Drifting

The process: Rustoleum 2000º Automotive spray paint (Lowe's carries it), get the primer and the flat black. I also got clear, but more on that later. The exhaust tips are accessible without removing the rear bumper or putting the car on a lift, but either of those actions would eliminate what is by far the most frustrating and time consuming part of this: trying to fit your hands in the space between the rear bumper opening and the tips to mask them off. If you dropped the bumper and put the car on a lift, that would be a snap.

I used citrus degreaser and scotchbright pads, then cloth towels to degrease and clean the tips inside and out. After careful masking I'd say 2-3 coats of primer, if it's a warm dry day leave say an hour between coats, increase time to dry as humidity goes up and temps get cooler. After primer is thoroughly dry 3-4 coats of flat black. Keep the coats as light as you can. That's how I wound up with too much paint- the abandoned plan to paint inside the tips. Just keep the primer and then black coats very light and let the coats dry thoroughly before proceeding. I had initially applied clear (it's semi-glossy) but it really didn't look good so I went over that with a light coat of flat black, now it looks way better and understated.

You don't see very many C7s around in many places, the black exhaust tips are a nice way to separate your car from the masses by going LOWER key, not more garish. That's the best part.

I didn't have good luck with the clear but now my tips are flat black, I really like the look it's badass and very understated. Once the paint dries Rustoleum wants you to use the heat from your car's engine to cure the paint. Run the car for 10 mins @ idle to start the paint curing process. Then let it cool for 10 mins. Then run the car for 20 mins and then let it cool for 20 mins. Finally DRIVE the car for 30+ mins and the paint should be cured

I thought I could paint the rear faces- MUCH harder than I realized because then you have to have a sharp consistent edge between the raw stainless and the flat black, and that was almost impossible to achieve, so I painted the entire tip inside and out. Looks much better if you paint the tip inside and out, not one or the other.

Now we'll see how long it holds up. Looks great for now.

Last edited by patentcad; 05-17-2017 at 02:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Creeper (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 08:25 AM
The Creeper
Race Director

I'm going to do this, I think it looks great.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If were going to do it, I would just pull the catbacks and send them out to powder coat- less hassle and will last indefinitely. Looks like you did a great job though. As for cleaning polished stainless tips, I spray mine down with purple power degreaser when I wash my car and let it sit for a few minutes. Any carbon build up wipes right off.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:35 AM
patentcad
Drifting

if this paint doesn't last I'll give it to my local body shop guy who will pull the bumper, put it on a lift, strip the paint off the tips and start from scratch and do it right. But I may have not done it so wrong after all. Only time will tell.

Looks good now anyway.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:51 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Glass cleaner works great too!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM
patentcad
Drifting

I think you all covet my smokin hot lookin black exhaust tips.

Thank you Rustoleum.

I can't believe I used Rustoleum paint on my $63K sports car. But it worked.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:43 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It looks good now, but I don't think it's going to age very well after exposure to road grime. You'll probably end up re-doing it fairly often.

Get notified of new replies

To Pcad's C7 black exhaust tip saga concludes

Old 05-18-2017, 06:57 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by Foosh
It looks good now, but I don't think it's going to age very well after exposure to road grime. You'll probably end up re-doing it fairly often.
What do you base that speculation on? Is the painted surface harder to wash? Does it get stained over time from road grime? Is this from experience with another car where the owner painted the exhaust?

One nice thing about the flat black is that it's forgiving: I think you can fine sand it as needed (I have 400-800 grit very fine sandpaper), then lightly re-prime and re-spray just using light cardboard (hand held, you slide it over or under the tips) as a mask.

We'll find out. It's worth it. Good grief the car looks 10x better without those idiotic stainless cartoon horns staring me in the face. WTF were they thinking with that in the GM styling dept.? My own thinking is they had a Styling Seance to communicate with great deceased designers and they got their signals crossed and wound up channeling Dr. Seuss.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I'm not basing it on "speculation", but upon having done the same thing to many exhaust tips over the years and having to do it over fairly often. The matte or flat color without an outer coating will get dirty and dull with age, road grime exposure and carbon emissions mixed with condensation. There's no way to "polish" it or make it look clean.

For long term durability, powder coating is the way to go.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-18-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,238 Likes on 13,936 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The tips do look good black, but I'm still a fan of the polished look. Anyway, you did a good job.

Quick Reply: Pcad's C7 black exhaust tip saga concludes