Sponsored by:

New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 02:34 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Wow . . . you really need a reality check. A 1 out of 100 defect rate in a single component is a good way to lose a lot of customers and is very rare by today's standards.
Given all the components on modern vehicles 1 out of 100 on every component would put you out of business.
Sigh (redux)...I didn't say "every component."
An auto slushbox is one of, if not THE, most complex component in a car.

Like the LT family of engines, the A8 has to be broken in correctly in order to have any decent chance at longevity.
GM gives very specific instructions on how to do so in the manual that owners are SUPPOSED to read.
We have already seen what happens when new owners disregard break-in instructions with LTs (of course, they come on this site after the fact and complain when the thing detonates)...
No doubt some A8 failures can be laid at the doorsteps of guys who jump in their new car and drive it directly to the track.

OK, I have gone on long enough...
I am now officially and positively done posting in this thread (after boring the **** out of everyone here).
See ya on the other side.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Here's my theory:
Assuming Sunsalem is an A8 owner, he is motivated to dispel the fact the A8 is problematic, because he feels all the negativity around the A8 may impact the resale value or at least hamper the sales process of his C7 (A8) when the time comes in the future for him to sell it.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:21 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,113 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Here's my theory:
Assuming Sunsalem is an A8 owner, he is motivated to dispel the fact the A8 is problematic, because he feels all the negativity around the A8 may impact the resale value or at least hamper the sales process of his C7 (A8) when the time comes in the future for him to sell it.
Gilbert, I am jumping into the A8 frenzy after a great performing 2014 Z51 A6 vert ! The only difference it is a new just built Z06 A8 VERT. I have not read much problems with the A8 in the Z06 section so maybe I will get lucky I hope! Something about the power band being different and the Zo6 does not go into V4 mode as much as the Stingray and GS.......

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 05-19-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
The buyers in both examples are poor.
No doubt, but only one of them helps GM sales, and that is the one with the "fluffy" MSRP.

Even if the sales were cash, some will prefer to buy a "$50k car for $40k" rather than a "$40k car for $40k", even if they are the same car.

So, yes, unsophisticated buyers, thinking they can get something for nothing. Who do you think is out there buying up all the lottery tix every day?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Gilbert, I am jumping into the A8 frenzy after a great performing 2014 Z51 A6 vert ! The only difference it is a new just built Z06 A8 VERT. I have not read much problems with the A8 in the Z06 section so maybe I will get lucky I hope! Something about the power band being different and the Zo6 does not go into V4 mode as much as the Stingray and GS.......
​​​​​​You should be good with Z06 based on what we've heard.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:12 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Forum Editor

Huge incentives on new Corvettes do little to attract buyers to the American sports car.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
4 year old model, rumors of the ZR1, mid-engine, etc. Also, most of these incentives don't truly bring the price down. They're relative to what you could pay. Has anyone purchased a new C7 for under $50K?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcex
4 year old model, rumors of the ZR1, mid-engine, etc. Also, most of these incentives don't truly bring the price down. They're relative to what you could pay. Has anyone purchased a new C7 for under $50K?

I did, in Jan of this year. $46,291 for a M7 Stingray with performance exhaust. That includes $2,000 for Loyalty.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:26 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I did, in Jan of this year. $46,291 for a M7 Stingray with performance exhaust. That includes $2,000 for Loyalty.
That's awesome!
(I stand corrected)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:30 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
2016 or 2017?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

2017, 1LT, M7. Admiral Blue.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by evanft
The reasons for this are really related to economics and demographics.

1. Middle-aged baby boomers, who have been the Vette's traditional market, are aging out of their sports car buying years. They're retiring and have to be concerned with being on a fixed income or they just want something more comfortable.

2. Gen X, who are basically approaching or in their prime sports-car buying years, are a much smaller demographic than the baby boomers, so there are fewer prospective buyers out there.

3. Millennials just don't have the money to buy the car. They make something like 20% less than their parents' did while being saddled with higher housing, education, and health care costs.

4. Younger enthusiasts who DO want a sports car may not have grown up wanting a Corvette. They grew up in an era of German and Japanese dominance, so they may prefer an M3, 911, or an STI.

5. Used Corvettes are just too good of a value. A lot of younger enthusiasts have recognized that buying a brand new car is a terrible idea, so they'd rather wait 4-5 years and buy the car they want after it has already taken it's depreciation hit. I mean, I paid $30k for my CPO 2012 w/27k miles. That's a hell of a lot of car for the price of a well-optioned Accord.
#5 here....I'll buy my C7 Z06 the same way I got my C6 Z06...used, depreciated, low miles, one owner who kept it a garage queen waiting for me!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Look, I cannot afford a new Corvette plus I love the one I have so I'm not buying another one in a while. Even with discounts all cars have been creeping up & up price wise so unless GM comes out with a new gimmick, we'll have to wait until the next generation.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,113 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
​​​​​​You should be good with Z06 based on what we've heard.
Thanks I will keep my fingers !CROSSED

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 05-19-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:17 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Guys, guys.... guys. I thought I cleared this up days ago :

"A large supply of used cars drive used prices down to the point where buying new doesn't make sense."

carry on.

Last edited by tcinla; 05-19-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:58 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
Guys, guys.... guys. I thought I cleared this up days ago :

"A large supply of used cars drive used prices down to the point where buying new doesn't make sense."

carry on.
More so than supply is price. GM estimates used-car prices nationally sank 7% in the first Q, the steepest drop in recent years. Not necessarily Corvette prices but used-car prices generally. Weaker used-car prices siphon away sales of new cars. Also makes leases more expensive for companies.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:12 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I found a used GS I wanted- exactly color, trim, options, etc.

However it was more than the car new with current incentives (not much). The dealer said yeah he knew, and I suggested I buy new because the used car dealer didn't want to take a loss on the used one.

I guess you never lose money as long as it's sitting on the lot
Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot

However it was more than the car new with current incentives (not much). The dealer said yeah he knew, and I suggested I buy new because the used car dealer didn't want to take a loss on the used one.

For those of us lucky enough to have found the CF, we can avoid the lot-rot. I've recommended the CF to a number of vette owners but it doesn't appeal to everybody. Their loss, not ours.

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent

Old 05-19-2017, 04:39 PM
17Z
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

While the used car market might be a part of the downward sales I don't think it is as large as previous posts have made it out to be. I also don't think Im alone that many corvette buyers don't buy used especially for a sportscar. Its not all about the unknowns of a used car history either. I think at the price levels were talking about for most new vettes (guessing 70 to 80K out the door average for the mid level model) you want a car that is close to exactly how you want it with very few compromises. Sure there are buyers who are right on the edge affordability wise where it makes much more sense to choose second hand cars but IMO it would be a small minority. The C7 is a good deal at MRSP and an even better deal with discounts. Am I wrong to believe new corvette owners are not as price sensitive when buying their dream cars?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:25 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot

What that dealer meant was he's waiting for the right sucker to come along...
Old 05-19-2017, 06:39 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
This A8 is problematic idea is an internet myth invented by those who think any Corvette without a 3rd pedal has been cursed by Satan.

Every car model in existence has some transmission (or engine)failures...anything built by humans can break.
The A8 isn't an exception to this rule, but there is no indication it has a higher failure rate than other auto transmissions.
And no, let's NOT go back and re-hash this thing again...it has been discussed to death on this website.

Unless you plan on tracking it > 50% of the time, forget the ZR1.
The Z06 has all the power and speed any sane person could want in a street environment.

The A8 mania is as someone once said "very fake news" yes has there been TCs replaced and some issues. Its not even an internet myth its clearly a "Corvette Fourm" myth.....

Quick Reply: New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent