New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent - Page 6 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #101
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17
NCM Lifetime Member
 
MikeyTX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Slowly driving my way around the United States
Posts: 24,608

Thanked 434 Times in 349 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedC7AZ View Post
Here's my theory:
Assuming Sunsalem is an A8 owner, he is motivated to dispel the fact the A8 is problematic, because he feels all the negativity around the A8 may impact the resale value or at least hamper the sales process of his C7 (A8) when the time comes in the future for him to sell it.
You know what they say about assumptions ................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Red Dave View Post
Gilbert, I am jumping into the A8 frenzy after a great performing 2014 Z51 A6 vert ! The only difference it is a new just built Z06 A8 VERT. I have not read much problems with the A8 in the Z06 section so maybe I will get lucky I hope! Something about the power band being different and the Zo6 does not go into V4 mode as much as the Stingray and GS.......
Plus on ramps are a whole lot more fun.

Last edited by Steven Bell; Today at 08:30 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
MikeyTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #102
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Lothian MD
Posts: 8,389
Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,311 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFBHD View Post


The A8 mania is as someone once said "very fake news" yes has there been TCs replaced and some issues. Its not even an internet myth its clearly a "Corvette Fourm" myth.....
Yea, seems to be a "myth" on the GM truck, and Camaro forums too. Try Google.
Foosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #103
RedC7AZ
CF Senior Member
 
RedC7AZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 4,796
Thanked 246 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTX View Post
You know what they say about assumptions ................
Good one
Do you laugh at your own lame *** jokes often or just on Fridays?
RedC7AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #104
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17
NCM Lifetime Member
 
MikeyTX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Slowly driving my way around the United States
Posts: 24,608

Thanked 434 Times in 349 Posts
Default

No, it was said tongue in cheek. I just find it so hard to believe that so many are getting so darn touchy over this.
MikeyTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #105
RFBHD
CF Senior Member
 
RFBHD's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Location: Holland/Metro Philly Pa
Posts: 624
Thanked 154 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Yea, seems to be a "myth" on the GM truck, and Camaro forums too. Try Google.
Whats Google?? Does the Camaro forum have as many fake posts by trolls as this forum???? Seems weird the % of A8s in Corvettes keeps getting bigger every year. What is it so far this year?? Like 80% Yet if you believe the myth most of them are just crapping out... the paint sucks on every car and all ZO6s overheat.... why did I buy this thing??? Lets start another thread on how inferior the sound system and infotainment is...... naaaaahhh I'm gonna jump in my dream machine and have fun...

Last edited by RFBHD; 05-20-2017 at 09:55 AM.
RFBHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #106
Snowwolfe
CF Senior Member
 
Snowwolfe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Monterey Tennessee
Posts: 2,485
Thanked 240 Times in 142 Posts
Default

FYI, you can still find 2017's with performance exhaust and the M7 for under $49K on MacMulkins web site inventory.
Snowwolfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #107
RedC7AZ
CF Senior Member
 
RedC7AZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 4,796
Thanked 246 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTX View Post
No, it was said tongue in cheek. I just find it so hard to believe that so many are getting so darn touchy over this.
RedC7AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #108
sam90lx
CF Senior Member
 
sam90lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Ventura CA
Posts: 7,516
Thanked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedC7AZ View Post
Here's my theory:
Assuming Sunsalem is an A8 owner, he is motivated to dispel the fact the A8 is problematic, because he feels all the negativity around the A8 may impact the resale value or at least hamper the sales process of his C7 (A8) when the time comes in the future for him to sell it.
I don't always agree with you, but you nailed it!
sam90lx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #109
Runnn
CF Senior Member
 
Runnn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 592
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
That was the whole concept behind the Saturn brand. It didn't work out. Saturn eventually started selling at discounts just like every other brand.
Wrong! I worked in sales & marketing for Saturn (for the mfg and not the retailer/dealer), and the reason it failed was because GM starved the brand for new product when Saturn was in its product "growth stage." When you only have 1 car line (small) to sell between 1990 and 1997, with just minor updates, then you lose many of your existing owners needing to step-up to something larger, and potential buyers wanting to join the brand. You have to remember the main premise of Saturn: Attract the import buyer who isn't interested in domestic vehicles.

No Haggle/No Hassle pricing really does work, and is preferred by most buyers... still to this today.

A recent Lexus Article:
"Lexus No-Haggle Pricing Sends Some Buyers Fleeing, But Most Stay

by
John Lippert

‎July‎ ‎21‎, ‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎43‎ ‎AM"
Runnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #110
JonMN
CF Senior Member
 
JonMN's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 991
Thanked 259 Times in 198 Posts
Default

Personally, I don't think it's a big surprise to see a decrease at this stage--great car, but a limited market, and no big changes from 2016-18. Starting to wait for the C8. In a way, it's kind of the iPhone 7 situation.
JonMN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonMN For This Useful Post:
pantherchams (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #111
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 34,921
Thanked 664 Times in 488 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnn View Post
Wrong! I worked in sales & marketing for Saturn (for the mfg and not the retailer/dealer), and the reason it failed was because GM starved the brand for new product when Saturn was in its product "growth stage." When you only have 1 car line (small) to sell between 1990 and 1997, with just minor updates, then you lose many of your existing owners needing to step-up to something larger, and potential buyers wanting to join the brand. You have to remember the main premise of Saturn: Attract the import buyer who isn't interested in domestic vehicles.

No Haggle/No Hassle pricing really does work, and is preferred by most buyers... still to this today.

A recent Lexus Article:
"Lexus No-Haggle Pricing Sends Some Buyers Fleeing, But Most Stay

by
John Lippert

‎July‎ ‎21‎, ‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎43‎ ‎AM"
I was correct in stating that Saturn started out with one of it's "selling" points being a "no haggle" brand. That was one of their major "advertising" claims.

I was correct when I stated that Saturn dropped the "no haggle" crap and started selling at discounts off MSRP.

Absolutely nothing "wrong" with my post.

Why did they drop the "no haggle" if it was working for them? What did the "no haggle" pricing and the later dropping it, have to do with Saturn's' range of product offerings.

I seem to remember Saturn having a S-Series compact sedan, coupe, sedan, and station wagon. A L-series mid-size sedan and station wagon. The Vue, a compact crossover. The Ion, a compact sedan and quad coupe. The Relay, a minivan. The Sky, a sports car. The EV1, an electric car. The Outlook, a full size crossover. The Aura, a mid-size sedan and the Astra, a compact 3 and 5 door hatchback.

Other than not having a pickup truck in their lineup, I would say they had about every segment covered.

When GM was on their knees in 2008, they decided to sell off the Saturn brand. That fell through, so they closed up shop. A sales and marketing failure.

People might say they want "no haggle" purchasing, but over the past 100 years, they never demanded it enough for the 700+, or so, automobile manufacturers to offer it, except for the Saturn brand, which dropped the idea to go with "haggle" pricing to try and stay afloat towards the end.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-20-2017 at 05:10 PM.
JoesC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #112
OVR60
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 587
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill444 View Post
Yep.

Porsche 911 sales were down 26% YOY for March and 8% for April. They have been consistently down

Porsche Cayman sales are down 52% YOY for April, and 51% for March!

This isn't just a Corvette problem. When I said the entire US market was down 5% year over year, I think what is keeping that number from being even higher is SUV sales, which have been increasing. Cars are in the toilet as buyers continue to move into SUV's.

Example Porsche Macan sales are way up for 2017. In the last two months alone sales are up near 50%. Clearly people who may have been in the market for a 911 or Cayman are buying Macan's instead.
Why are you so interested in Porsche sales and not the Turkeys GM has like the Cadillac performance cars. It is doubtful that they are flying off the dealers lots and what are there sales numbers.
OVR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #113
mpuzach
CF Senior Member
 
mpuzach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: La Center WA
Posts: 16,378
Thanked 969 Times in 492 Posts
Default

It's been my personal experience that most car shoppers aren't happy with the price unless it's one that they've had to negotiate to get. It wouldn't matter if I offered a $30,000 car for $15,000, most will try to get it for $14,000.
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpuzach For This Useful Post:
direct007 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #114
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17
NCM Lifetime Member
 
MikeyTX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Slowly driving my way around the United States
Posts: 24,608

Thanked 434 Times in 349 Posts
Default

Well lets see, the editor got 6 pages and 114 posts out of this thread, not counting mine. Thus giving the banner ads lots of exposure = $$$$ Not bad.
MikeyTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #115
cstraley
Junior Member
 
cstraley's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 49
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Forum Editor View Post


Huge incentives on new Corvettes do little to attract buyers to the American sports car.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
I purchased a Z06 in April and a GS in May. I received approximately $8k discount from sticker. The discount was important and prompted me to buy a convertible GS. My other option was a Porsche 911S convertible for $136k. Our trade in on the convertible was a 14 Boxster S which I loved. We like our Grand Sport and do not feel as though we missed out.

People should be lapping these cars up considering the value.
cstraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #116
Supersonic 427
CF Senior Member
 
Supersonic 427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 3,877
Thanked 223 Times in 141 Posts
Default

There will always be "haggling" on a new or used car purchase if a trade is involved. I fixed price is still not going to be a remedy when it comes to trading your car. I just purchased a GS 3 weeks ago at the GM Employee discount price. Price was the same at both dealerships on a clean deal, but the trade difference was a whopping $5500!!!!
Supersonic 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #117
Vetteman Jack
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Sinkhole Donor
 
Vetteman Jack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Heart of Missouri Currently Own: 2003 Milestone Edition. Previously Owned: '79, '79, '84, '89, '94, '95, '99 and '00
Posts: 240,014

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,755 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLsx View Post
there comes a point where sales have to slow down. Many people who wanted a new generation corvette bought them within the first 3 model years.
You got that right. Plus as the next big thing approaches, sales will drop in anticipation of that.
Vetteman Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #118
village idiot
CF Senior Member
 
village idiot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,127
Thanked 142 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic 427 View Post
There will always be "haggling" on a new or used car purchase if a trade is involved. I fixed price is still not going to be a remedy when it comes to trading your car. I just purchased a GS 3 weeks ago at the GM Employee discount price. Price was the same at both dealerships on a clean deal, but the trade difference was a whopping $5500!!!!

Did they give you employee or do you hav eit.
village idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #119
Supersonic 427
CF Senior Member
 
Supersonic 427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 3,877
Thanked 223 Times in 141 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by village idiot View Post
Did they give you employee or do you hav eit.
They gave me GM employee discount at both stores + Corvette Loyalty rebate. So virtually the same price at both dealerships. However, one wanted to put $47k (large volume Corvette dealership) in my trade the other (local dealership) $52.5K. Huge difference!
Supersonic 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #120
jimmyb
CF Senior Member
 
jimmyb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 4,364
Thanked 282 Times in 177 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
I was correct in stating that Saturn started out with one of it's "selling" points being a "no haggle" brand. That was one of their major "advertising" claims.

I was correct when I stated that Saturn dropped the "no haggle" crap and started selling at discounts off MSRP.

Absolutely nothing "wrong" with my post.

Why did they drop the "no haggle" if it was working for them? What did the "no haggle" pricing and the later dropping it, have to do with Saturn's' range of product offerings.

I seem to remember Saturn having a S-Series compact sedan, coupe, sedan, and station wagon. A L-series mid-size sedan and station wagon. The Vue, a compact crossover. The Ion, a compact sedan and quad coupe. The Relay, a minivan. The Sky, a sports car. The EV1, an electric car. The Outlook, a full size crossover. The Aura, a mid-size sedan and the Astra, a compact 3 and 5 door hatchback.

Other than not having a pickup truck in their lineup, I would say they had about every segment covered.

When GM was on their knees in 2008, they decided to sell off the Saturn brand. That fell through, so they closed up shop. A sales and marketing failure.

People might say they want "no haggle" purchasing, but over the past 100 years, they never demanded it enough for the 700+, or so, automobile manufacturers to offer it, except for the Saturn brand, which dropped the idea to go with "haggle" pricing to try and stay afloat towards the end.
His point was that the "no haggle" pricing DID work and would have CONTINUED to work had GM actually treated Saturn as a brand, with timely NEW product, etc (the models you mentioned didn't appear until the 2000's, Saturn basically made do with the original lineup for 10 years). They didn't and the brand stagnated (shocker) and at that point, the "no haggle" was out the door and GM started treating Saturn like every other brand. You are correct that the "no haggle" model failed, but the point is that it didn't fail because IT (no haggle) is flawed, it failed because GM failed to keep the pipeline full of new and interesting product.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-21-2017 at 11:37 PM.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Corvette Drops to Third on Most-Read-About Vehicle List Corvette Forum Editor C7 General Discussion 9 04-28-2017 07:01 PM
    The USPS Needs Transformational Reform to Survive, but Hope for Reform Is Fading! Trainman-2 Politics, Religion & Controversy 10 07-13-2016 12:28 AM
    Willcox 4th of July Special Saviings Weekend Sale Has Started!!! Willcox Corvette C1 & C2 Corvettes 9 07-04-2016 10:25 PM
    Willcox 4th of July Special Savings Weekend Sale Has Started!!! Willcox Corvette C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted 13 07-05-2015 09:57 PM
    First Impressions are Important, Says Z06 MarcusAmick C7 General Discussion 1 01-09-2015 12:44 PM


    Tags
    sales

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    What's your question?
    Send