New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent - Page 8 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #141
thill444
CF Senior Member
 
thill444's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: New England
Posts: 1,583
Thanked 490 Times in 361 Posts
Default

The NSX's are dying on dealer lots. They basically made a car using the hybrid technology that nobody wanted and had to charge way too much.

The original NSX sold well because it was a driver focused car with amazing feel and was a pure sports car. The new NSX is none of that and people are not buying it.

Ford nailed it with the GT. It's a pure drivers car with zero frills.

There are two NSX's at the dealer less than 2 miles from me and have been sitting out front for months. Nobody wants them.

GM better be watching. Don't make the C8 Corvette some crazy expensive hybrid that nobody wants in a sports car. At some point the V8's of the world will likely go away due to regulation, but I would think the C8 would still have a V8. At least as an option.

Last edited by thill444; 05-30-2017 at 10:24 AM.
thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #142
6GenVettes
CF Senior Member
 
6GenVettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Rosa Beach Miramar Beach, NW FL.
Posts: 7,952
Thanked 353 Times in 291 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
You don't what the hell you are talking about. You are just slinging **** against the wall to see if any sticks.


PS- my local Lexus dealership is owned by Warren Buffet. I'm pretty sure that if he believed that he could sell more cars and/or make more money with haggle free pricing(Lexus Plus) then he would have already signed up for it, but he hasn't. After all, he does know a thing or two about making money.
48 Million & two yrs later...
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...ritaville.html
6GenVettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #143
jclarksnakes
CF Senior Member
 
jclarksnakes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2006
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 676
Thanked 68 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill444 View Post
The NSX's are dying on dealer lots. They basically made a car using the hybrid technology that nobody wanted and had to charge way too much.

The original NSX sold well because it was a driver focused car with amazing feel and was a pure sports car. The new NSX is none of that and people are not buying it.

Ford nailed it with the GT. It's a pure drivers car with zero frills.

There are two NSX's at the dealer less than 2 miles from me and have been sitting out front for months. Nobody wants them.

GM better be watching. Don't make the C8 Corvette some crazy expensive hybrid that nobody wants in a sports car. At some point the V8's of the world will likely go away due to regulation, but I would think the C8 would still have a V8. At least as an option.

I think the NSX is incredibly beautiful. It is also very quick. I think the reason sales are slow is that it does not seem exotic enough to justify the price.
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #144
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 36,425
Thanked 858 Times in 630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6GenVettes View Post
Yep. Part of making sound business decisions is to know when to throw in the towel on individual businesses you own that are not making money.

The BIG picture....Buffet is still making loads of money even though he dumped a casino that wasn't making money.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #145
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Lothian MD
Posts: 10,408
Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,922 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
i dunno, The Ford GT has a F150 eco boost 6 banger, and the richest of the rich are almost at fisticuffs over not making the list of who Ford sez can buy. me? i think it looks like a xenomorph trying to shed her egg sac to chase Sigourney around.
LOL, comparing the V6 in the Ford GT to the F150 powerplant is about a silly as comparing an LT1 is to a flathead Ford V8.

Ford just uses the "Ecoboost" branding for marketing reasons to sell more F150s.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-30-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Foosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #146
thill444
CF Senior Member
 
thill444's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: New England
Posts: 1,583
Thanked 490 Times in 361 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I think the NSX is incredibly beautiful. It is also very quick. I think the reason sales are slow is that it does not seem exotic enough to justify the price.
It is nice looking and quick but they solved a problem nobody cared about. The people buying these cars don't care about gas mileage. If you can afford a $150-200K+ sports car that might see a couple thousand miles a year, do you really care if gas costs $3 or $4, or even $10 a gallon?

By adding the hybrid technology they added weight (the car weight almost 4K lbs). They should have stuck with a V8 as they originally intended until the NSX project got shelved during to the great recession a few years back.

Based on the reviews I have read the NSX has too many computers doing the driving and while the car looks and sounds good on paper, it is void of emotion/drama and is too clinical. The original NSX was a pure drivers car. This one is not.

I think that is where they dropped the ball. Coupled with the high cost of all these electronics and hybrid technologies, Acura is also not a car company you think of when it comes to sports cars. Honda may have been better off releasing it with a Honda nameplate and cutting back on all the expensive technology.

It's a cool car, but if I had this much money to spend I would be buying a McClaren or Ferrari, or Porsche.
thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #147
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 36,425
Thanked 858 Times in 630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
LOL, comparing the V6 in the Ford GT to the F150 powerplant is about a silly as comparing an LT1 is to a flathead Ford V8.

Ford just uses the "Ecoboost" branding for marketing reasons to sell more F150s.
Comparing the 647 Ford V6 to the 475 HP Ford V6 is the same as comparing the Chevrolet 650 HP V8 to the 460 HP V8.

Both start out as a lower horsepower version and then are modified to up the horsepower.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #148
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Lothian MD
Posts: 10,408
Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,922 Posts
Default

Humor is a concept that clearly escapes you.
Foosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #149
village idiot
CF Senior Member
 
village idiot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,225
Thanked 267 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill444 View Post
It is nice looking and quick but they solved a problem nobody cared about. The people buying these cars don't care about gas mileage. If you can afford a $150-200K+ sports car that might see a couple thousand miles a year, do you really care if gas costs $3 or $4, or even $10 a gallon?

By adding the hybrid technology they added weight (the car weight almost 4K lbs). They should have stuck with a V8 as they originally intended until the NSX project got shelved during to the great recession a few years back.

Based on the reviews I have read the NSX has too many computers doing the driving and while the car looks and sounds good on paper, it is void of emotion/drama and is too clinical. The original NSX was a pure drivers car. This one is not.

I think that is where they dropped the ball. Coupled with the high cost of all these electronics and hybrid technologies, Acura is also not a car company you think of when it comes to sports cars. Honda may have been better off releasing it with a Honda nameplate and cutting back on all the expensive technology.

It's a cool car, but if I had this much money to spend I would be buying a McClaren or Ferrari, or Porsche.
4k lbs wow. Makes. Gtr look light.
I was expecting the NSX to bea super lotus Elise
village idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Harley-Davidson Profit Falls As Slide in Motorcycle Sales Continues 69L46 Politics, Religion & Controversy 126 Today 01:49 PM
    Gauging interest in the stock factory headlight gasket RLSebring C6 Corvette General Discussion 9 06-12-2017 09:39 PM
    FS: Gauging interest in the stock factory headlight gasket RLSebring C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 0 06-08-2017 02:03 PM
    Mexicans weigh the daunting prospect of deportee camps vigalante Politics, Religion & Controversy 4 02-22-2017 04:41 PM
    The USPS Needs Transformational Reform to Survive, but Hope for Reform Is Fading! Trainman-2 Politics, Religion & Controversy 10 07-13-2016 12:28 AM


    Tags
    sales

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 PM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: