Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
OK OK OK...we get it...you don't like the A8!
Your The A8 will lead to the Apocalypse screed is getting kinda silly.
Can you let it go and start talking about other things?
I have absolutely nothing against the A8 or any other automatic transmission. I'm simply perplexed as to why it has been problematic, and why GM hasn't been able to get a handle on it. With all the buzz, I simply wondered if that's affecting sales since almost 80% of C7s are manufactured as A8s.

I think you're the one being silly here.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-18-2017 at 08:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sam90lx (05-20-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by HPT
That must explain all the Porsches sitting on dealer lots...
Yep.

Porsche 911 sales were down 26% YOY for March and 8% for April. They have been consistently down

Porsche Cayman sales are down 52% YOY for April, and 51% for March!

This isn't just a Corvette problem. When I said the entire US market was down 5% year over year, I think what is keeping that number from being even higher is SUV sales, which have been increasing. Cars are in the toilet as buyers continue to move into SUV's.

Example Porsche Macan sales are way up for 2017. In the last two months alone sales are up near 50%. Clearly people who may have been in the market for a 911 or Cayman are buying Macan's instead.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
All this **** about supplier pricing, GMS, hold backs, red tags, loyalty, invoice pricing, etc is just one big pain in the ***. Sell the car for a locked in price and forget the haggling. Less stress for everyone involved. Then you dont have to listen to people flapping their lips as to how they got a better deal than everyone else.
That was the whole concept behind the Saturn brand. It didn't work out. Saturn eventually started selling at discounts just like every other brand.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 17Z
Discounts? I thought the corvette was the best bang for the buck anytime anywhere. Buyers are smart to wait for discounts which have been offered every few months. GM has created its own problems. Either reduce the price of all corvettes evenly or stop with the discounts and let demand build without further enticements. The waiters will wait no longer and supply will decrease IMO.
The problem is GM has been doing these rebates, tag events, discounts, etc for so long as a company I think people expect them now and will wait to buy. So just lowering the price will not solve the problem, the problem is they have created this mess and cannot culturally change it now.

Same with Ford, Chrysler/Dodge, etc.
RCKTRYD (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mschuyler
No it isn't. They may as well not have offered them. The one for brakes is extremely specific and designed only for Z06 purchasers who want fancy expensive brakes costing nearly 10% of the purchase price. The Corvette owner has its own restrictions including the need to own a late model vette at the time. People who sold their vette to trade in for a new one can't even take advantage of it. Technically those are "incentives" but they aren't the kind of incentives most people can actually take advantage of. You could just as logically claim that the sales slump is due in part to a LACK of incentives from GM during a time when they could have been considered useful.
The "fancy" brake option was available for BOTH the GS and Z06 not JUST for the Z06 as you posted.

For awhile the base "iron" brakes were under constraint and if you wanted a Z06 OR a GS, you had to also order the "fancy" brake option.

True that very few wanted the "fancy" brakes, but the dealers had to take them if they wanted Bowling Green to build any GS's and Z06's for their dealership.

That's why GM is giving the discount on Z06's AND GS's with the "fancy" brakes, as they are just sitting on the dealer's lots, unsold.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-18-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thill444
The problem is GM has been doing these rebates, tag events, discounts, etc for so long as a company I think people expect them now and will wait to buy. So just lowering the price will not solve the problem, the problem is they have created this mess and cannot culturally change it now.

Same with Ford, Chrysler/Dodge, etc.
The auto manufacturers don't want to change. With the way it is, when a new model is hot, they can sell a bunch at, or near, the inflated MSRP; then when it's not a hot model a couple of years later, they discount it down to a lower price(at a price where they still make money, just not as much).

Did the buyers of the 2014's that paid near MSRP wait until 2017 when the prices were 10-15% lower? How about the buyers of 2015's when they could only get maybe a 3-4% discount? Did they wait until 2017, how about the buyers of the 2016's? The buyers of 2015's and 016's paid the prevailing price at the time for their Corvettes, as sales numbers clearly show.

Why would any retailer want to give up several years of sales at the inflated prices, by lowering the MSRP?

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-18-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Pickup trucks and large SUV's are in. Passenger cars and vettes are not.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Car sales are cyclical. This same pattern happens every decade and usually coincides with the economy in general. A few great years in the middle of the 10 year cycle and then a slowdown. Remember 2007? Remember 1997? Remember 1987? I'm hoping we aren't facing another recession as in decades past, but all the signs are here now for another economic slowdown fast approaching.
The following 3 users liked this post by direct007:
Judgment Day (05-19-2017), pantherchams (05-21-2017), SilverGhost (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The auto manufacturers don't want to change. With the way it is, when a new model is hot, they can sell a bunch at, or near, the inflated MSRP; then when it's not a hot model a couple of years later, they discount it down to a lower price(at a price where they still make money, just not as much).

Did the buyers of the 2014's that paid near MSRP wait until 2017 when the prices were 10-15% lower? How about the buyers of 2015's when they could only get maybe a 3-4% discount? Did they wait until 2017, how about the buyers of the 2016's? The buyers of 2015's and 016's paid the prevailing price at the time for their Corvettes, as sales numbers clearly show.

Why would any retailer want to give up several years of sales at the inflated prices, by lowering the MSRP?
I don't disagree with you but the problem with this model (inflated MSRP and using tons of rebates to discount) is resale value. It kills it. The is the first American car company sports car I have ever bought and the resale value on these cars almost made me pass on it. My last three Japanese sports cars I owned were sold at or near MSRP but also held their value tremendously. I drove a 2015 WRX for almost two years and traded the car in for $1200 less than I bought it. And that $1200 includes taxes, fees, etc. But Subaru rarely, if ever, offers big discounts on them. At best volume dealers will sell them at or slightly below invoice.

This model rebate/incentive also makes buyers skeptical because they always wonder if a better rebate is around the corner so they wait. This forum is full of people like this. They are buying a $50-100K car but will wait months to save another $1-5K.

Last edited by thill444; 05-18-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Good. Hopefully there will be big incentives next month when I try to upgrade to a Grand Sport
Corvette Museum members qualify for GM supplier pricing. You may want to call NCM and see how long that will be in effect. In addition to the Corvette loyalty discount that makes for a decent deal.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Resale value is a matter of buying smart in the first place. The more options, the higher the cost, the more you will lose come resell time. I don't think anyone would dispute the best bang for the buck is a base coupe Stingray.
This is similar with all models and make. The more fluff you buy, the more you lose down the line.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:20 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Resale value is a matter of buying smart in the first place. The more options, the higher the cost, the more you will lose come resell time. I don't think anyone would dispute the best bang for the buck is a base coupe Stingray.
This is similar with all models and make. The more fluff you buy, the more you lose down the line.
That's true of most cars. But still the minute you buy that base Stingray, if you try to trade it in it will be worth about $8-10K less than what you paid out the door for it. Most dealers are not going to give you more than high $30's or very low $40's on a base Stingray (even less than 1 year old with low mileage).
Old 05-18-2017, 11:29 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

GM plays pricing games.

My 2014 had MSRP of $62,000. I paid $57,000 in Feb. 2014. An 8% discount from Criswell.

My same configuration MSRPs at $65,500 as a 2017 or 2018 model.

Buyers can order this configuration as a 2018 from forum dealers for about the same price (57k), but now that represents a 13% discount.

GM has played on the buyer's desire for deep discounts, but in reality they are paying the same price for basically the same car that was available 3+ years ago.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 05-18-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:40 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I was all ready to pull the trigger on a Z06 until the reality of the ZR1 came to fruition. Now I'm on the sidelines for a while to determine when it will become available and if I can stand the wait. Otherwise I would be in a Z06 by now. So I'm a prime example of why some sales that could have been made didn't happen.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:07 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

Hey GM, If you're listening/reading this here's how to get me into one sooner than later. My Corvette jar is about six months away from being full. I could pull the trigger now if there was 0% financing. Also, it looks like I'm going to have to order a Z06 because the CA dealers order mostly automatics with a bunch of options that I don't want to pay for. A black on black 3LZ manual with geezer chrome rims will get me in the door.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I have absolutely nothing against the A8 or any other automatic transmission. I'm simply perplexed as to why it has been problematic, and why GM hasn't been able to get a handle on it. With all the buzz, I simply wondered if that's affecting sales since almost 80% of C7s are manufactured as A8s.
This A8 is problematic idea is an internet myth invented by those who think any Corvette without a 3rd pedal has been cursed by Satan.

Every car model in existence has some transmission (or engine)failures...anything built by humans can break.
The A8 isn't an exception to this rule, but there is no indication it has a higher failure rate than other auto transmissions.
And no, let's NOT go back and re-hash this thing again...it has been discussed to death on this website.

Originally Posted by joemessman
I was all ready to pull the trigger on a Z06 until the reality of the ZR1 came to fruition. Now I'm on the sidelines for a while to determine when it will become available and if I can stand the wait. Otherwise I would be in a Z06 by now. So I'm a prime example of why some sales that could have been made didn't happen.
Unless you plan on tracking it > 50% of the time, forget the ZR1.
The Z06 has all the power and speed any sane person could want in a street environment.

Last edited by sunsalem; 05-18-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:02 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The "fancy" brake option was available for BOTH the GS and Z06 not JUST for the Z06 as you posted.
Oh, dear! Did I make a mistake? Drat! Now, what was my point again? That this huge incentive doesn't really mean much BECAUSE it's of use to only a small percentage of buyers. It is option specific instead of model specific. To be useful in terms of helping sales an incentive has to be more broad-based and reach more buyers. There, does that make it okay for you now?

Last edited by mschuyler; 05-18-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent

Old 05-18-2017, 01:18 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
This A8 is problematic idea is an internet myth invented by those who think any Corvette without a 3rd pedal has been cursed by Satan.

Every car model in existence has some transmission (or engine)failures...anything built by humans can break.
The A8 isn't an exception to this rule, but there is no indication it has a higher failure rate than other auto transmissions.
And no, let's NOT go back and re-hash this thing again...it has been discussed to death on this website.

Tell that to the numerous A8 owners with headaches.

I'm an A6 owner, but feel for A8 owners who have had a rough time.
Flame Red (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 02:33 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by funz06
It appears quite a few car manufacturers are, and have been, having inventory build ups, or something. Just turned off the TV as there was an ad for $12,000 off a Silverado truck; I know from personal experience in the last month that both Hyundai and Kia are also offering good deals (15% and 16% off being the advertised price---with more off when you meet with them). It seems like Ford was the one that started with the 20% off so many months ago. Lexus sends me something about monthly for their biggest sale of the year pricing---just got another one today. It just seems like every make has been having bigger sales across the board, earlier in the model years than I can recall. The corvette is no different from any of the others----just a car in an industry with sales slowing down.
Actually GM notched record profit & revenue in the first quarter to the tune of a 34% jump = 2.6B net income. Very robust and strong. Truck factories at GM are running full-on to meet demand. The passenger car market is a different story. That forced GM in recent months to cut production, laying off more than 4K workers.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:37 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
ok, big wheels don't really matter right now; but in the out years, with no new vettes running 18/19's, tire companies will stop making better 18/19 tires, and start production curtailment of all the existing choices. meanwhile, 19/20's will get all the tire research, all the mass quantity production discounts, etc, etc. POW! to the 17 base vert.
235/35/18 and 245/35/18's are very common tire sizes. I wouldn't be concerned about those ever not being researched properly, or going into limited production.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent