New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,104 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
They gave me GM employee discount at both stores + Corvette Loyalty rebate. So virtually the same price at both dealerships. However, one wanted to put $47k (large volume Corvette dealership) in my trade the other (local dealership) $52.5K. Huge difference!
Maybe the second dealer thought your ZF1 VERT was a Z51 VERT !
Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Maybe the second dealer thought your ZF1 VERT was a Z51 VERT !
No, they knew it was the FE2 (Mag Ride Non Z51) they both called up the list price and options by the VIN. The difference was one dealer gave me a decent price for the car, the other wanted to steal it! BTW....they already sold my trade, I am sure for a fair profit! Still amazes me how there could be a $5500 difference in trade value!

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 05-22-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Greed plain and simple
Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,104 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

No, they knew it was the FE2 (Mag Ride Non Z51) they both called up the list price and options by the VIN. The difference was one dealer gave me a decent price for the car, the other wanted to steal it! BTW....they already sold my trade, I am sure for a fair profit! Still amazes me how there could be a $5500 difference in trade value!
$5500 dollars isCRAZY MONEY!!!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Funny how a smaller dealer had the best deal
Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Funny how a smaller dealer had the best deal
Yeah, the large Corvette dealerships have a great "Clean deal" price but that all goes away when you throw your trade in. I have found this to be the case many times!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

I still can't believe so many of us have posted to this thread. It's not like it was unexpected. Heck, the C6 did the same thing.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:16 PM
Runnn
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I was correct in stating that Saturn started out with one of it's "selling" points being a "no haggle" brand. That was one of their major "advertising" claims.

I was correct when I stated that Saturn dropped the "no haggle" crap and started selling at discounts off MSRP.

Incorrect. Certain retailers (dealers) violated the policy from day 1 since the mfg can't dictate what price a dealer sells the car for... considered price fixing. It was never officially dropped the company.

Absolutely nothing "wrong" with my post.

Why did they drop the "no haggle" if it was working for them? What did the "no haggle" pricing and the later dropping it, have to do with Saturn's' range of product offerings.
See above... you're wrong! It was impossible to enforce nationally because of price fixing concerns. When some dealers start struggling they resort to tactics which hurts the overall brand.

I seem to remember Saturn having a S-Series compact sedan, coupe, sedan, and station wagon. A L-series mid-size sedan and station wagon. The Vue, a compact crossover. The Ion, a compact sedan and quad coupe. The Relay, a minivan. The Sky, a sports car. The EV1, an electric car. The Outlook, a full size crossover. The Aura, a mid-size sedan and the Astra, a compact 3 and 5 door hatchback.
You didn't pay attention to my previous post... going from 1990 to 1999 with no new product design of your existing "S" series line was the kiss of death. The "L" series was the first new offering and it started production in May 1999.

Other than not having a pickup truck in their lineup, I would say they had about every segment covered.

When GM was on their knees in 2008, they decided to sell off the Saturn brand. That fell through, so they closed up shop. A sales and marketing failure.
Not correct. The mission was never to have a p/u as that was what Chevrolet was for... Saturn was a subsidiary of GM, remember. Saturn's business plan was to offfer a smaller car that could compete with the Japanese imports on quality, and price. Saturn sold its millionth vehicle in 1995--pretty amazing for a new start-up conquest brand. Name me another car brand that sold a million units within its first 5 years? And, by the way, Saturn hit that milestone with just one car line, "S" series (coupe, sedans and wagon).

People might say they want "no haggle" purchasing, but over the past 100 years, they never demanded it enough for the 700+, or so, automobile manufacturers to offer it, except for the Saturn brand, which dropped the idea to go with "haggle" pricing to try and stay afloat towards the end.
It was NEVER officially dropped... Saturn Corp could only SUGGEST the MSRP and selling arrangement, which meant some of the not so great retailers (dealers) resorted to their old ways. The reason that the car business is so behind the times is because it has one of the strongest lobby groups in the country. No hassle/No haggle works great (Lexus is great example after all these years), but it requires dealers to sell the car instead of the payment, like typical car dogs.

Saturn wasn't perfect by any stretch, but it was wayyyyy ahead of its time in the industry, and Lexus has made NHNH work!

Originally Posted by jimmyb
His point was that the "no haggle" pricing DID work and would have CONTINUED to work had GM actually treated Saturn as a brand, with timely NEW product, etc (the models you mentioned didn't appear until the 2000's, Saturn basically made do with the original lineup for 10 years). They didn't and the brand stagnated (shocker) and at that point, the "no haggle" was out the door and GM started treating Saturn like every other brand. You are correct that the "no haggle" model failed, but the point is that it didn't fail because IT (no haggle) is flawed, it failed because GM failed to keep the pipeline full of new and interesting product.
Thank you!!! I'm not sure why he totally missed the point, but I guess he was too focused on being "wrong?"

Originally Posted by mpuzach
It's been my personal experience that most car shoppers aren't happy with the price unless it's one that they've had to negotiate to get. It wouldn't matter if I offered a $30,000 car for $15,000, most will try to get it for $14,000.
Actually, vehilce buyer research doesn't agree with you. In fact, the only folks who'd agree with you is the "NADA"... that's why the auto industry is sooooo behind the times!

There will always be "haggling" on a new or used car purchase if a trade is involved. I fixed price is still not going to be a remedy when it comes to trading your car. I just purchased a GS 3 weeks ago at the GM Employee discount price. Price was the same at both dealerships on a clean deal, but the trade difference was a whopping $5500!!!!
Very true. It is called "stealing" the trade in the dealer world. This is where most buyers lose BIG TIME. In fact, it usually negates any possible positive on the new vehilce transaction side.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-28-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 05-27-2017, 10:03 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
It's been my personal experience that most car shoppers aren't happy with the price unless it's one that they've had to negotiate to get. It wouldn't matter if I offered a $30,000 car for $15,000, most will try to get it for $14,000.
Originally Posted by Runnn
Actually, vehilce buyer research doesn't agree with you. In fact, the only folks who'd agree with you is the "NADA"... that's why the auto industry is sooooo behind the times!
I'm not making any claims one way or another what "vehicle buyer research" concludes. My only statement was an expression of my personal experience as one who is in retail automotive. My personal experience is exactly as I stated. YMMV.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:53 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
Yep.

Porsche 911 sales were down 26% YOY for March and 8% for April. They have been consistently down

Porsche Cayman sales are down 52% YOY for April, and 51% for March!

This isn't just a Corvette problem. When I said the entire US market was down 5% year over year, I think what is keeping that number from being even higher is SUV sales, which have been increasing. Cars are in the toilet as buyers continue to move into SUV's.

Example Porsche Macan sales are way up for 2017. In the last two months alone sales are up near 50%. Clearly people who may have been in the market for a 911 or Cayman are buying Macan's instead.
The Cayman/Boxster sales are down because of the 4 cylinder only power and same price point. The EPA killed that platform for Porsche. The Macan is Porsche's bread and butter vehicle right now.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

SUV's & Crossovers are today what Station wagons were in the 60's. Hate to say it but they are practical especially if you have a family. You only need that one time you can't fit whatever in your trunk! But what hurts sport car sales is the increasing number of 4 door sedans that are almost as quick and handle as well.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Runnn
It was NEVER officially dropped... Saturn Corp could only SUGGEST the MSRP and selling arrangement, which meant some of the not so great retailers (dealers) resorted to their old ways. The reason that the car business is so behind the times is because it has one of the strongest lobby groups in the country. No ), but it requires dealers tohassle/No haggle works great (Lexus is great example after all these years) sell the car instead of the payment, like typical car dogs.

Saturn wasn't perfect by any stretch, but it was wayyyyy ahead of its time in the industry, and Lexus has made NHNH work!
You don't what the hell you are talking about. You are just slinging **** against the wall to see if any sticks.

Lexus has been in business for 28 years. One year ago, May, 2016, they started their Lexus Plus trial to see if no haggle pricing would work. They started out with 11 dealerships(out of 237 US dealerships) and now, one year later, they have 13 dealerships selling Lexus automobiles with their no haggle pricing. Of the original 11 dealers, one started selling no haggle in mid May, 2016 and the remaining 10 started in mid July, 2016.

That's not what I call a roaring success story, and they have not had haggle free pricing "all these years" as you threw up against the wall trying to make a point that is a total falsehood.

If it is the wave of the future, then why are the remaining 224 Lexus dealerships not selling at haggle free pricing. Maybe because the competition will clean their clock if they try it.

Don't start claiming that haggle free pricing is the bomb because Lexus is a roaring success. They haven't been in it long enough to even get a clue as to how it's going to work out for them, and they know more about how it's working out for them than you do. If it's so successful after the FIRST year then why aren't the other 224 dealerships signing into Lexus's volunteer program of selling their cars with haggle free pricing?

EDIT: I just checked and there are now only 10 dealers with the Lexus Plus no haggle pricing. That's fewer than they started out with a year ago.

Greenwood, CO
Indianapolis, IN
Portland, ME
Omaha, NE
Lincoln, NE
Pittsburg, PA
Allentown, PA
Wexford, PA
Bellevue, WA
Appleton, WI

PS- my local Lexus dealership is owned by Warren Buffet. I'm pretty sure that if he believed that he could sell more cars and/or make more money with haggle free pricing(Lexus Plus) then he would have already signed up for it, but he hasn't. After all, he does know a thing or two about making money.

Originally Posted by jimmyb
His point was that the "no haggle" pricing DID work and would have CONTINUED to work had GM actually treated Saturn as a brand, with timely NEW product, etc (the models you mentioned didn't appear until the 2000's, Saturn basically made do with the original lineup for 10 years). They didn't and the brand stagnated (shocker) and at that point, the "no haggle" was out the door and GM started treating Saturn like every other brand. You are correct that the "no haggle" model failed, but the point is that it didn't fail because IT (no haggle) is flawed, it failed because GM failed to keep the pipeline full of new and interesting product.
I did not claim that no haggle pricing caused Saturn to fail. Saturn had turned into another GM division that was re-badging cars from the other divisions.

In a last ditch effort to stay alive, Saturn did in fact ditch their no haggle pricing. If the no haggle pricing was so successful, then why did they believe that dumping it would reverse their decline?

Saturn was hoping it would draw customers into their dealers if the customers thought they could get a better deal(through haggling) then at a competing GM dealer selling another GM brand, that was the same product as Saturn was selling.

Maybe if they had dumped the no haggle pricing earlier, it might have saved them. The no haggle pricing sure didn't save them.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-28-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 05-29-2017, 08:40 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Extremely interesting article about Saturn....

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...-but-who-knew?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:56 AM
jclarksnakes
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

When the C7 first came out the car magazines and the most watched auto websites did road tests on them. In every one of them the tested vehicle was loaded to the gills with options. The prices were usually over 80K. When the C7 ZO6 came out there was another round of road tests. Again Chevy provided the testers with loaded vehicles. This time with prices over 100K. The first year of the C7 many dealers asked for and got more than MSRP. Most of what people know about the C7 was derived from reading and watching those early model road tests. The result is that there is now the impression that C7s are very expensive. When I have talked to people who ask about my GS they all seem to think that it is a 100K car. They are very surprised when I tell them it had a 86K MSRP and I got it for 74K. They are amazed when I tell them they can go on the internet and find a new C7 for less than 50K. I think that the pervasive perception of high prices is now keeping many potential customers from even considering buying one.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:26 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Along with the fact that many of the dealers are still trying to sell them for the same kind of money as when they first came out.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:17 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The Cayman/Boxster sales are down because of the 4 cylinder only power and same price point. The EPA killed that platform for Porsche. The Macan is Porsche's bread and butter vehicle right now.
Porsche thought people wouldn't care, since the new ones were faster. Wrong! They should have worked over their flat sixes for better fuel economy.

If Chevy puts a V6 in the Corvette, they will find out the same thing. Cylinder count and engine sound are an important part of car branding.

Michael
Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I was fairly surprised Porsche owners cared about a turbo 4 vs NA 6.

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent

Old 05-30-2017, 05:51 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

If Chevy puts a V6 in the Corvette, they will find out the same thing. Cylinder count and engine sound are an important part of car branding.
i dunno, The Ford GT has a F150 eco boost 6 banger, and the richest of the rich are almost at fisticuffs over not making the list of who Ford sez can buy. me? i think it looks like a xenomorph trying to shed her egg sac to chase Sigourney around.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:00 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
i dunno, The Ford GT has a F150 eco boost 6 banger, and the richest of the rich are almost at fisticuffs over not making the list of who Ford sez can buy. me? i think it looks like a xenomorph trying to shed her egg sac to chase Sigourney around.

As for styling, I feel that the NSX is the winner, but damn, that GT looks wicked.

If I'm spending MY money, I would buy the NSX.

If I'm spending YOUR money, I would buy the GT.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:10 AM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
As for styling, I feel that the NSX is the winner, but damn, that GT looks wicked.

If I'm spending MY money, I would buy the NSX.

If I'm spending YOUR money, I would buy the GT.
Just checked one out at the dealer price 213,000 for NSX . Sorry way to much for this car.

Quick Reply: New Corvette Sales Drop a Daunting 12 Percent