C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Grand Sport came without rockers or front splitter....is this standard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,990 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Default New Grand Sport came without rockers or front splitter....is this standard?

My neighbor just purchased a 2017 Grand Sport but after driving home from Indy to Chicago, I noticed the rockers and front splitter are missing. Not installed. Not in the car.

I thought the 2017 Grand Sports came standard with the front splitter and rocker panels standard?

I like to be in the know, but the dealer is claiming that is part of another package? Really? Unfortunately the dealer is 3.5 hrs away.

so what are next steps? Talk to the manager? Contact Chevy Customer service?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Stp94
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Factory sends the skirts and splitter separately to the dealer so they aren't damaged during shipment. Threads weekly on this.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Another example of a clueless dealer. Dealers should have to compete for their franchise instead of having it passed down to the third generation as a cash cow.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffB-99
Another example of a clueless dealer. Dealers should have to compete for their franchise instead of having it passed down to the third generation as a cash cow.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:10 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffB-99
Yup. It sucks that your neighbor has to go back to get these installed on his car.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 PM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Have him check the window sticker, it's definitely on there. Have them ship the splitter and skirts to a dealer local to him and have them install them there.

Last edited by Playboy2; 05-17-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Thanks Everyone. That's what I figured. It dos boggle the mind that they would deliver a Grand Sport with out installing them.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:29 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Playboy2
Have him check the window sticker, it's definitely on there. Have them ship the splitter and skirts to a dealer local to him and have them install them there.
Yep, they are both listed on the sticker. The rockers I might have questioned my memory, but with the front splitter missing it was obvious something was missing.

The upside is he found the exact color combo he was looking for at a fair price. It will get fixed...but this is his first Vette, so it makes me wonder how many first owners are out there driving around unaware they are missing pieces?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:31 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Maybe the Indy dealership can arrange for a Chicago dealership to do the install at no charge for your friend.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:52 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Maybe the Indy dealership can arrange for a Chicago dealership to do the install at no charge for your friend.
That is definitely the hope, or I'm that if GM CUSTOMER service gets involved they can facilitate an install at our local dealer.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

As others have said the Grand Sport comes with side skirts, 3/4 length (they don't go all the way back to the rear wheel opening.) It also comes with a plastic, what some call a "poverty splitter."

In my case I ordered the Stage 2 aero package. The full length side skirts and splItter were sent to the courtesy delivery dealer's parts department with my VIN number and got there before the car. Mine are made from carbon fiber and painted carbon flash. I know the dealer is compensated by GM for the install over the normal fee they get for preparing the car.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-18-2017 at 08:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (05-20-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

On my GS, I told the dealer NOT to install, or even open up the boxes sent from GM. I had a set of Carbon 7 exposed carbon fiber front splitter and full length GTX side skirts I preferred to use.

I sold the unused, factory set on our forum !!!

Richard
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (05-20-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 03:48 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Strake
On my GS, I told the dealer NOT to install, or even open up the boxes sent from GM. I had a set of Carbon 7 exposed carbon fiber front splitter and full length GTX side skirts I preferred to use.

I sold the unused, factory set on our forum !!!

Richard
Had the C7 Carbon combo fiberglass covered with carbon fiber splitter on my 2014 Z51. Worked great, looked new when I just sold it as did the LG Motorsports CF side skirts.

Decided for the Grand Sport not to get carbon fiber, got to be compulsive! Had an OEM carbon fiber roof then the side shirts and splitter. Couldn't help myself and got a carbon fiber hood vent. Then with all that carbon fiber was not about to use tape etc to cover the chrome grill bar. Bought a real carbon fiber thin cover that was an exact fit over the chrome. Although fit was perfect- it was expensive!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-18-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:07 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Be glad the dealer did not drill the holes in the side of your car.
If I order a GS, I would install the front splitter, but leave the side skirts off. Don't really like they way they look, and would not put them on just to keep from getting a few small rock chips.

I have the stage 1 splitter on my Stingray, and that is the most practical for the street.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 05-18-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Jerry,

Are you saying your GS has a chrome bar across the front grill? Our GS has an all black Z06 style front grill.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

Nope, I said that is what I did for my 2014 Z51! Did not want the same temptation of adding more and more carbon fiber parts so the Grand Sport was ordered with GM Stage 2 carbon flash panted carbon fiber splitter and side skirts. Now my compulsion is adding carbon flash Jakes! Have two on the sides, and a few others!

In total 10 Jakes so far, some decals in red to match the interior! One more to go on when my custom license plate arrives!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-19-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:37 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Be glad the dealer did not drill the holes in the side of your car.
If I order a GS, I would install the front splitter, but leave the side skirts off. Don't really like they way they look, and would not put them on just to keep from getting a few small rock chips.

I have the stage 1 splitter on my Stingray, and that is the most practical for the street
Hmm, with the 285 front tire width on a GS, (the same width as the rear base and Z51) they will not be just small rock chips!

When I pass over pebbles in the road it sounds like hail hitting the undersides of the side skirts. Thank goodness the OEM carbon fiber side skirts can handle the pounding with no harm to the top side or rocker panels. That is why I ordered the full length side skirts and not the standard 3/4.

"Form Follows Fuction" so I think they look great! In fairness understand aesthetics are personal but regardless of their function, I think they look fine.

Just added Stage 3 winglets that integrate with the spats. Those combined with the slightly wider ASC front splash guards I installed make the spats those look good. When combined with Tadge's post on the aerodynamic reason and function of the spats, I think they also look great!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-18-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Grand Sport came without rockers or front splitter....is this standard?

Old 05-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, with the 285 front tire width on a GS, (the same width as the rear base and Z51) they will not be just small rock chips!

When I pass over pebbles in the road it sounds like hail hitting the undersides of the side skirts. Thank goodness the OEM carbon fiber side skirts can handle the pounding with no harm to the top side or rocker panels. That is why I ordered the full length side skirts and not the standard 3/4.

"Form Follows Fuction" so I think they look great! In fairness understand aesthetics are personal but regardless of their function, I think they look fine.
Those stones will still get past the side skirts. The stock side skirts are narrow just behind the wheel well and when the tire is rotating forward that leaves a clear path from the tire tread where it leaves the ground. That path takes the debris tangentially from the tire tread straight to the brake duct and rear quarters.

Bill
Old 05-18-2017, 09:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

I have a place on our street where a stone paved road intersects. I do drive slow in that area but lots of noise from the pebbles that carry over to the pavement. At the suggestion of forum posters I purchased ASC Front Splash Guards. They are wider and deeper than the GM Splash Guards. Also the Stage 2 aero skirts are much better than the standard Grand Sport Side skirts as they go all the way back to the rear wheel well.

So far no issues but expect you are right and some might get through. Where I do drive at normal speeds (or above!) there are no pebbles etc.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-19-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:40 PM
histoy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Big Lebowski for posting this subject. Our GS was missing these parts and when I followed up with our Chevy dealer, they were unaware that these parts belonged on the car. They were also unaware that the parts were shipped in a separate box and were to be installed by them. I sent them a copy of this discussion and made a trip to their dealership today. They did some searching and found the parts still in a box with our VIN number. They offered to put them on today, but I declined and just took the parts home for now.

Quick Reply: New Grand Sport came without rockers or front splitter....is this standard?