Redesign cooling for 2017 C7

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 01:52 PM
KLdy
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Redesign cooling for 2017 C7

I just checked out the thread on the different setup for 2017 Manual Z06

I noticed that the secondary radiator setup is different to the prior Secondary radiator offered from GMPP

I sold my 2015 and hoping to get a 2017, have a Ron Davis Radiator, but just wondering if anyone knows that it would still fit the new setup?

Also, does anyone know if the Grand Sport also gets the secondary radiator or just the Z06? Personally I do think the oil temp in the grand sport/ z51 are too high as well.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by KLdy
...I noticed that the secondary radiator setup is different to the prior Secondary radiator offered from GMPP
There's only one secondary radiator!! The GM part# has been changed, but that's done all the time to a lot of different parts - the part stays the same, the part# just changes. There is no "prior" radiator - there's only one.

I ordered one to install in my 2016 M7 Z06. I ordered it the end of Feb, but was told it was on backorder at the time with a change of part# and perhaps a different manufacturer. I kept waiting, and waiting...and finally got it delivered last week and installed it over the weekend. All the parts are EXACTLY the same as the previous part#. Well....it might have better instructions that sorta better explain what to do with the foam piece!!

I sold my 2015 and hoping to get a 2017, have a Ron Davis Radiator, but just wondering if anyone knows that it would still fit the new setup?
I don't know why it wouldn't fit - it fits in the earlier model years, and there's nothing different except the secondary radiator is in the 2017+. The secondary radiator fits down in front of the CAC HX, which is in front of the engine coolant radiator. None of that stuff has been changed, and plenty of owners have installed aftermarket radiators in the earlier MY's, so I don't know why it wouldn't fit into a 2017.

Also, does anyone know if the Grand Sport also gets the secondary radiator or just the Z06? Personally I do think the oil temp in the grand sport/ z51 are too high as well.
I'm not sure about all M7 Stingrays, but the 2017+ M7 Z51 and GS get the secondary radiator as standard factory installed equipment.

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-17-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:55 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

I'm not sure about all M7 Stingrays, but the 2017+ M7 Z51 and GS get the secondary radiator as standard factory installed equipment.

Not sure what year it started but the oil cooler in my Grand Sport is also larger than my 2014 Z51. Found that out when I was changing oil at 500 miles this past weekend. Was prepared for GM Loctite on the drain plug. In fact the side plug appeared to have as much apparently red Loctite as my 2014 Z51. But I was ready, had my 1/2 inch breaker bar, 6 point 15 mm socket and long extension! That is what I used on my 2014.

However the deeper oil cooler left no room for the extension! An open end wrench would not get it to budge even with a pipe "persuader!" Even a flare nut 15mm wrench looked like it was going to round what appeared to be a soft drain plug. Finally got it off with a somewhat unconventional approach! Installed the magnet drain plugs I had purchased that use a 13 mm hex head. Just ordered a 13 mm 6 point box wrench! I probably won't need it since I did not over torque when I installed- but just in case!

For anyone ready to perform their first oil change suggest a 6 point 15 mm box wrench is a good idea!

PS:
Of interest the front drain plug came out with little force using an open end wrench. In fact I would say too easy! Go figure.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-17-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:46 PM
KLdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEZ06
There's only one secondary radiator!! The GM part# has been changed, but that's done all the time to a lot of different parts - the part stays the same, the part# just changes. There is no "prior" radiator - there's only one.

I ordered one to install in my 2016 M7 Z06. I ordered it the end of Feb, but was told it was on backorder at the time with a change of part# and perhaps a different manufacturer. I kept waiting, and waiting...and finally got it delivered last week and installed it over the weekend. All the parts are EXACTLY the same as the previous part#. Well....it might have better instructions that sorta better explain what to do with the foam piece!!

I don't know why it wouldn't fit - it fits in the earlier model years, and there's nothing different except the secondary radiator is in the 2017+. The secondary radiator fits down in front of the CAC HX, which is in front of the engine coolant radiator. None of that stuff has been changed, and plenty of owners have installed aftermarket radiators in the earlier MY's, so I don't know why it wouldn't fit into a 2017.

Damn!

Thank you for the well organizaed and detailed answers!
Very helpful!

Still cannot decide on a Z06 or GS..ahh..

GS together is a much cheaper package, but Z06 has strong internals , 640hp, same GS handling and a great gear ratio compare to Standard 7SPD. But my insurance is going to suck
Old 05-17-2017, 04:47 PM
KLdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryU
Not sure what year it started but the oil cooler in my Grand Sport is also larger than my 2014 Z51. Found that out when I was changing oil at 500 miles this past weekend. Was prepared for GM Loctite on the drain plug. In fact the side plug appeared to have as much apparently red Loctite as my 2014 Z51. But I was ready, had my 1/2 inch breaker bar, 6 point 15 mm socket and long extension! That is what I used on my 2014.

However the deeper oil cooler left no room for the extension! An open end wrench would not get it to budge even with a pipe "persuader!" Even a flare nut 15mm wrench looked like it was going to round what appeared to be a soft drain plug. Finally got it off with a somewhat unconventional approach! Installed the magnet drain plugs I had purchased that use a 13 mm hex head. Just ordered a 13 mm 6 point box wrench! I probably won't need it since I did not over torque when I installed- but just in case!

For anyone ready to perform their first oil change suggest a 6 point 15 mm box wrench is a good idea!

PS:
Of interest the front drain plug came out with little force using an open end wrench. In fact I would say too easy! Go figure.
Nice. Do not have a garage so I need to rely on dealers, unfortunately
Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

18ft/lbs. torque on drain plugs.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vbdenny
18ft/lbs. torque on drain plugs.
Well certainly could not use a socket on the side plug on a Grand Sport (and assume Z06) as the deeper finned oil cooler provides no room for a torque wrench or an extension to use the wrench in a normal manner.

A Flare Nut Crow foot 6 point wrench (shown below) may provide enough extra depth to have the wrench head fit, at least with an extension that fits under the cooler.

If it does fit, remember the torque read is lower than that being applied by the difference in total length from handle to center of crow foot versus without it!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-18-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:05 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

PS:
OK... I gotta ask.. what oil drain plugs are you referring to that were so hard to get off you needed a breaker bar?? I changed my oil with a standard socket set and it was as easy as any other car I've ever done. No wrestling to remove the two drain plugs and the oil filter came off with a twist from my hand. You got me thinking I missed another drain plug somewhere
Old 05-18-2017, 03:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
I'm sure is Car dependdent. In a dry sump there are two, one on the driver's side and one in front of the pan (that one drains the dry sump tank.).

I had to use a 1/2 inch breaker bar on my 2014 Z51 for the first oil change. No problem as there was room under the oil cooler for a long extension to use with my 15 mm 6 point socket.

However with the Grand Sport the oil cooler is longer (more finned plates) there is no room to use a 15 mm socket and a ratchet, breaker bar or room for an extension to extend past the cooler. As mentioned the front plug came off with very little force. IMO, too little force. Funny the side plugs in the 2014 Z51 and a Grand Sport where so tight and the front plug in the GS came off easy.

I got it off and installed magnetic drain plugs I had purchased that are very well made and use a 13mm hex.

Glad you had no issues! I have a filter wrench that fits the bottom of the oil filter like a socket, it came off easy.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-18-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

^^^
I'm sure is Car dependdent. In a dry sump there are two, one on the driver's side and one in front of the pan (that one drains the dry sump tank.).

I had to use a 1/2 inch breaker bar on my 2014 Z51 for the first oil change. No problem as there was room under the oil cooler for a long extension to use with my 15 mm 6 point socket.

However with the Grand Sport the oil cooler is longer (more finned plates) there is no room to use a 15 mm socket and a ratchet, breaker bar or room for an extension to extend past the cooler. As mentioned the front plug came off with very little force. IMO, too little force. Funny the side plugs in the 2014 Z51 and a Grand Sport where so tight and the front plug in the GS came off easy.

I got it off and installed magnetic drain plugs I had purchased that are very well made and use a 13mm hex.

Glad you had no issues! I have a filter wrench that fits the bottom of the oil filter like a socket, it came off easy.
OK. Had me thinking I missed something, even though this is the third dry sump equipped Corvette I've owned. Yeah, mine were pretty easy for some reason. Like you said, almost too easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Redesign cooling for 2017 C7

Quick Reply: Redesign cooling for 2017 C7