Damaged my C7 today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:08 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by sam1976
huh! watch out....in the same body shop I saw a totalled 2017 Z06 who also lost control at a medium speed!!...at least mine is a base corvette 2015 and I was barely driving 20-25mph at the time of impact....!
There have been numerous people who totalled their Z06 and believe me I am careful. Traction control isn't predictive so it doesn't react until there is an actual loss of traction and with a lot of power on tap that split second of lost traction can cause a major vehicle reaction. Weather mode comes closer to predictive behavior because the increase in power delivery is slower with increased throttle application compared to other modes and TC is set to intervene at a lower threshold so control won't be out of shape as badly when TC and Stabiltrak intervene.

Hopefully your insurance doesn't take too large of a hit given your past driving record.

Last edited by NSC5; 05-20-2017 at 10:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by NSC5:
Foosh (05-20-2017), fsvoboda (05-20-2017), JerryU (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

make sure the shop looks at the frame and underneath,bent wheels-broken a arms,side-ways stuff breaks more things then youd think,,good luck
Old 05-20-2017, 10:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

believe it or not, TC was actually on....sudden throttle application as mentioned here, sports mode and a small area of water in the street immediately before I pushed it did the trick, only took one second! the rear wheels jumped to the curb on the right then whole car slammed into a bus in the left lane next to me....
Sorry about the problem. Yep in Sport mode, where I almost always had my 2014 Z51 set, there is a short time before the nannies came in. When cold or when any water was around I would put it in Weather mode where they come in sooner. If one tire has less traction than the other the car will steer in the opposite direction of the one that does until the nannies come in. Good to test where there is room so you can feel what happens. Expect those with an automatic trans are even more susceptible if the extra throttle downshifts.

My Street Rod with an 8.2 Liter big block only has Positraction. When making a 0 to 60 run if one tires looses traction because of slight differences in pavement you have about 1/2 second to lift or it will steer in the opposite direction from the wide rear tire with traction and you'll be in a ditch!

There are YouTube video's of where folks turn off the nannies and the car instantly goes off the road when it shifts etc.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (05-25-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 11:10 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

hey...I might get over it if I get the hell out of this tiny jeep rental! will see!
they actually need to give you a comparable vehicle.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:11 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

at least you are ok that is what the important part.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:20 AM
sparky973
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Something that is always on my mind when im driving around; try like hell, not to show off and do something stupid. Just last week on the interstate in traffic, I had a young kid in an old Pontiac TA come up next to me reving his engine, when I didn't bite, he tried smoking the tires and almost lost control 2 cars in front of me. My wife was shocked as he almost slammed sideways into the car next to him. I may be getting old (41), but my Z06 scares the crap out of me!
vbdenny (05-26-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 11:33 AM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by f1reb1rd
Thats enough to make one cry. But this is the second stingray ive seen loosing traction in a turn: Makes me wonder about mine:
Go to YouTube and search c7 corvette crash--you will find many videos of drivers losing control on dry pavement, and you can almost always assume they turned traction control off. As for the OP, that car's almost certainly repairable.

I feel for the guy--most of us have been there too and nothing hurts more than self-inflicted car damage. If you didn't hurt yourself or someone else, then that's the main thing.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Traction control isn't predictive so it doesn't react until there is an actual loss of traction and with a lot of power on tap that split second of lost traction can cause a major vehicle reaction. Weather mode comes closer to predictive behavior because the increase in power delivery is slower with increased throttle application compared to other modes and TC is set to intervene at a lower threshold so control won't be out of shape as badly when TC and Stabiltrak intervene.
Well said.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:37 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

IMHO, it looks worse than it actually is. The more I look at the pics, the more I think you've got to replace the front fender only. I think the rest might just be repairable. Depends on how good the repair shop is with Corvettes.
As for this being your last Corvette, that depends on whether or not the bug has bitten. I know in my case I tried going without a Corvette for 12 years. Then I just had to have those crossed flags parked in the garage.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

Regarding turning it in at the end of the lease, could they go after you or your insurance for diminished value? Might be a good time to review your lease agreement to see if there is any mention of this.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by boxster99t
Go to YouTube and search c7 corvette crash--you will find many videos of drivers losing control on dry pavement, and you can almost always assume they turned traction control off. As for the OP, that car's almost certainly repairable.

I feel for the guy--most of us have been there too and nothing hurts more than self-inflicted car damage. If you didn't hurt yourself or someone else, then that's the main thing.
The car is fine. It's not like the earlier 911's or something. The car is great. It just has high limits so when it's gone, it's gone.

and despite internet myths and Hollywood dramatizations, catching something that is loose on the street is really hard- really hard. Much harder than the track.

First, it's unexpected. At the track, I feel it before it happens. I know I'm driving at the limit so I'm on high alert.

Second, you have about 15 ft + wall/car at the other end rather than 40ft and runoff. When **** goes bad on the track, I can straighten out the wheel a bit, go a bit wide and regain traction. On the street, I'm already in another car or into the curb.

And last, traction control basically makes it impossible to correct anything. If traction control didn't stop it, there is virtually no chance of saving it unless you just get lucky. edit: this is not to say TC on the street is bad. It's virtually your only chance given how little time and space you have to react.

Last edited by village idiot; 05-20-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

believe it or not, TC was actually on....sudden throttle application as mentioned here, sports mode and a small area of water in the street immediately before I pushed it did the trick, only took one second! the rear wheels jumped to the curb on the right then whole car slammed into a bus in the left lane next to me....
my insurance deductible is just 200$, so probably a big insurance hike coming soon! this is my first accident ever! I am 40 years old and never had a single incident though, got out without a scratch. honestly, it wasn`t a hard impact...almost zero damage to the bus, couple of scratches. I stopped expecting small damage but when I got out I was shocked to how much damage was on the car side! I guess all that fiber glass/plastic is super easy to crack!
this is probably my last corvette! next will probably be an AWD like an R8....very unlikely this would happen with any AWD car! now i am driving around in a crappy small jeep rental for a good part of the chicago summer! will probably just fix it and turn in into the dealer soon after....
Did the right side wheels hit the curb and bounce you toward the bus? If so you might have damage on the right side. If you had been driving a unibody metal car the damage would probably be worse. It looks to me like a rear fascia, rear quarter, door, mirror and front fender. The front fascia looks OK. The front inner wheel well will probably have to be replaced as well. All of those parts are bolt on parts. The cost could get pretty high depending on what GM charges for those parts. I lost a front wheel on my 08Z and the body shop cost for the replacement carbon fiber fender was $2600. Your body panels aren't carbon fiber so they don't cost anywhere near as much but replacing three of them will add up.

Make sure you don't have damage in another location. Yesterday, my wife was hit in the driver's side rear while driving our Terrain. It was more a less a low impact hit that ruined the rear fascia and pushed the dual exhaust system down. However, while walking around the car I noticed the gas filler cover on the passenger side was open. When I tried to close it it moved around unlike it had ever moved before and it took some effort to latch the cover. That cover and its hinge is at least 5 ft from the point of impact and is located on the opposite rear quarter panel with an empty cargo area between the two points.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-20-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
Regarding turning it in at the end of the lease, could they go after you or your insurance for diminished value? Might be a good time to review your lease agreement to see if there is any mention of this.
Excellent advise.
Bet no dealer's going to take a hit to the chops w/ a bad Carfax for a returned lease. I'd put a C note on it. Read the lease.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:39 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
IMHO, it looks worse than it actually is. The more I look at the pics, the more I think you've got to replace the front fender only. I think the rest might just be repairable. Depends on how good the repair shop is with Corvettes.
As for this being your last Corvette, that depends on whether or not the bug has bitten. I know in my case I tried going without a Corvette for 12 years. Then I just had to have those crossed flags parked in the garage.
You did better than me. After selling my 11th in 1994 (1990 vert) to pay for my daughters college, I thought it was out of my system. I was on my 8th year when I lost control. I'm on 4th since my relapse, 2014, & have an 18 Z06 coming. At this point will probably have one, or two, until the daughter takes my fobs away.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Default To be blunt...

sudden throttle application as mentioned here, sports mode and a small area of water in the street immediately before I pushed it did the trick

this is probably my last corvette!

will probably just fix it and turn in into the dealer soon after....
I am VERY glad to hear you're ok...But you lost me when your reaction to this accident is "this is probably my last Corvette".

So, after you admit spirited driving, in traffic, after hitting a puddle, resulting in you hitting the right curb and bouncing back into a bus, this is somehow the cars fault?

This sounds like it had more to do with the Indian than the arrow, and an AWD R8 is not going to improve your situational awareness. Sounds like you might be better suited for a Q7 than an R8.

Better yet, maybe just Uber it from now on.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 05-20-2017 at 12:42 PM.
SloboGS (05-26-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 01:24 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

my insurance deductible is just 200$, so probably a big insurance hike coming soon! this is my first accident ever! I am 40 years old and never had a single incident though, got out without a scratch. honestly, it wasn`t a hard impact...almost zero damage to the bus, couple of scratches. I stopped expecting small damage but when I got out I was shocked to how much damage was on the car side! I guess all that fiber glass/plastic is super easy to crack!
this is probably my last corvette! next will probably be an AWD like an R8....very unlikely this would happen with any AWD car! now i am driving around in a crappy small jeep rental for a good part of the chicago summer! will probably just fix it and turn in into the dealer soon after....
My last three cars (Wrx's+Golf R) were tuned and modified AWD cars and AWD will not save you in the wrong situation. There are tons of wrecked STI's and EVO's, etc out there because of people hitting the throttle and not maintaining traction. The best option would be a lower horesepower car and driving school
Old 05-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds like cold tire syndrome - in addition to the water. My A8 Z51 tried to bring the rear around on a 90 degree turn a few times in 40-50 degree weather after being driven less than 2 miles. Lesson learned.

Last edited by Skidplate; 05-20-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Damaged my C7 today!

Old 05-20-2017, 01:43 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
I am VERY glad to hear you're ok...But you lost me when your reaction to this accident is "this is probably my last Corvette".

So, after you admit spirited driving, in traffic, after hitting a puddle, resulting in you hitting the right curb and bouncing back into a bus, this is somehow the cars fault?

This sounds like it had more to do with the Indian than the arrow, and an AWD R8 is not going to improve your situational awareness. Sounds like you might be better suited for a Q7 than an R8.

Better yet, maybe just Uber it from now on.
Wait a second there. Did you not read his post where he takes full responsibility for the accident? He's not blaming the car. You're making a huge unfounded assumption here.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hate to see that Sam, but you're OK and no one else was hurt. That matters. The car can be fixed, and a lesson was learned. It's all good.

BTW, you're right. The insurance company will bent you over. It doesn't matter how long you been with them, and how good your driving record is. I know this from experience from a minor mishap the wife had.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:25 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Hate to see that Sam, but you're OK and no one else was hurt. That matters. The car can be fixed, and a lesson was learned. It's all good.

BTW, you're right. The insurance company will bent you over. It doesn't matter how long you been with them, and how good your driving record is. I know this from experience from a minor mishap the wife had.
RebelYell is correct UNLESS you have Accident Forgiveness. I had a small mishap, my fault, but USAA covered it and did NOT raise my rates. I had not had an at fault claim in many years and have been with USAA for 43 years. Wishing you the best.

Quick Reply: Damaged my C7 today!