Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:12 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

A boss I respect dearly taught me how important it is to risk v reward and pros v cons.

write them out, look at them and ask yourself if you're willing to take the chance knowing the absolute worst case scenario.

I wouldn't buy it no matter the price personally. I'm by no means rich but I would pay (and did) to not knowingly dive into a car like the one you described. I bought new left over heavily discounted.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Unless you plan on selling the car in when the warranty expires or are willing to pony up additional coin for an extended warranty, pass on the car.

Who wants to take a chance on having to replace an expensive transmission with their money after the warranty runs out.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:31 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

No way I'd buy that car. Hell, until it's shown GM actually, finally, has its shitz together with regard to the A8, I wouldn't take a brand new one.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Pliskin01
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hard pass

Originally Posted by BeerSkunk
OP
I'd never knowingly buy a 50k+ item with an issue. I know very well how exciting seeing the car of your dreams sitting there ready for you to drive it off into the sunset can be, but I'd pass on this one. Even if they fixed the issue and warrantied it. I hate having to have my car torn apart to fix something.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:25 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default let's put it this way.....

You would be one of the variable group in a large/long term experiment to see if the fix works (and for how long).

Therefore how much of a deal would they be willing to make knowing what lies ahead for you?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 PM
BeerSkunk
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
If he's in Cary, then it's Hendrick and they're not renowned for their ethical treatment of anyone, employees or customers.

I will note though that I've had good service with them, I just don't want to buy from them.

OP: I'd pass on this one. Can you shift? Because none of these problems exist with the manual transmission.
Yes, it's Hendrick in Cary.

And Yes, I can shift - I've been driving a manual for the last 20+ years.

Since we just moved back to Raleigh after being away for several years, I thought I'd finally give up the stick and accept my slushbox overlord.

Having driven the M7 a couple of times, I did have a blast with the Rev Match feature.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:54 PM
BeerSkunk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
You would be one of the variable group in a large/long term experiment to see if the fix works (and for how long).

Therefore how much of a deal would they be willing to make knowing what lies ahead for you?
I think it's the 'for how long' part that, as a person that holds onto cars for 10+ years, really puts me off.

I've got a couple lines out on some M7 2016's that look promising.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

...a used 2016 C7 A8 with 5k miles KNOWING it was exhibiting the dreaded A8 shudder related to the TC problems?

A bit more background:

Thanks to all the great posts on this forum, I've been educating myself about the C7 for the last 6-7 weeks and am fully aware of the A8 TC issues AND how to identify it.

Last week I found a great DSOM 2016 C7 A8 with ~5k miles in Tallahassee, FL within a local dealer's network. The local dealer shipped the car up to Cary, NC.

Yesterday, I took the car out for a long test drive specifically to check for the A8 shudder issues and...well...it was exactly as others have described it: like driving over rumble strips, fluctuating RPMs in V4, harsh V8 to V4 engagement, etc.

The dealer did NOT pressure me to buy and agreed there was an issue.

Their Vette technician knew exactly what the problem was before the sales person could even finish describing what was happening.

At this point, they're doing the recommended x3 flush and fluid replacement. However, I won't be surprised if the TC needs replacement after the recommended 200 miles to see if the fluid flush / replace works.

I know GM is at least on REV #3 with TCs for the A8.
I know this particular C7's manufacture date was 10/15.
I know the car still has approximately 18 months of Bumper to Bumper Warranty left. (in service date around Xmas of 2015)
I know I LOVE the look of the car.

Being this is my first Corvette purchase, I'm concerned this will become a huge PITA rather than the joy it should be.

Has anyone had successful TC replacements with the latest TC?
If so, how many miles on the new TC?
Fears overblown?

I've been lurking here for several weeks now, and the knowledge and experience on these forums has been incredibly helpful.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

P.S. Hello, everyone!
Hell no. The 2018's are going to be out soon and this has been going on since 2015. I don't think GM can fix it

Last edited by Ernest_T; 05-22-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:03 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

@springer

52k for the car.

@snow

To be fair, it's the dealer in FL that didn't fully vet (no pun intended) the car. My local dealer was rightly pissed about that. I would love to be a fly on the wall when the phone call happens between those two.

I'm leaning towards a NO right now, as they refused a hefty discount.

Oh well, plenty of gently loved C7s out there.

Also worth noting, this would be a DD for me.
That's not a particularly good price either. Is it 2 or 3 LT?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:06 PM
BeerSkunk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
That's not a particularly good price either. Is it 2 or 3 LT?
2LT with Carbon Fiber Dash, Exposed Carbon Fiber Hood, Exposed Carbon Fiber Targa Top, Black Machine Faced Wheels, and Nav / PDR.

I know that sounds like a 3LT, but it's not (missing the interior wrapped dash) - previous owner basically pimped it out to 3LT level without actually choosing that trim. Go figure.

And I could be mistaken, sometimes the differences between the 2LT and 3LT aren't immediately apparent to me. Especially since they stopped doing the full color interior wrap along the dash on the 3LTs ( think that stopped with the 2016 models... )

Gotta say, the exposed carbon fiber and wheels look great set against the DSOM.

Last edited by BeerSkunk; 05-22-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:12 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

As others have stated, you would be well served to look at other options...and not at this one. The search is part of the fun...enjoy the pursuit. GLWYS!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:35 PM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Their are SO many new stingrays, from 16, long in the tooth 17's and now 18's with btob coverage for 3/36, still unsold. unloved. unwanted. EVERYBODY wants a GS. So why haggle for a walking dead in a stealership where NOBODY walks away without a nice haircut? Ya think that the tranny repair will stay OFF a carfax when it is done by a stealership, when its time for you to move on? Move on now, buy new, and smile for miles to come.

Quick Reply: Help - Would you buy?