Blew something in my rear end with only 474whp

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 02:40 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Kind of crazy they broke just spinning them. That isn't as much load as a prepped track and hooking them up on a good launch. You can spin them just as hard with a stock motor. Hopefully the dealer sees it this way too.
It probably won't be up to the dealer. Expensive broken powertrain parts means the dealer will have to provide the information requested by Mother GM if they expect to be paid for the repair.

Part of the risk of modification is sometimes parts break that would have broken at stock power level but now it turns into customer pay.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
If the rear caster angle is not set the hop may be worse. you can tune it with the DSC. Have you set the rear caster
What should the rear caster be at, so i can have it checked cuz i havnt been understanding why im like only one of the few guys thats getting so much damn wheel hop in my c7.

Also idk if anyone answered this or not but is the z06 final drive gear set and spider gears any differant than the grand sport? If its the same set of gears theres no way adding lees than 100hp could be blamed for the failure.

Last edited by Liter of cola; 05-23-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Kind of crazy they broke just spinning them. That isn't as much load as a prepped track and hooking them up on a good launch. You can spin them just as hard with a stock motor. Hopefully the dealer sees it this way too.
Let's see... headers, intake, tune. Any ONE of those by itself is enough to block a drivetrain warranty claim.

Well, I guess it's not impossible, but I think the odds for warranty coverage of a drivetrain failure with all those mods in place is what we here in my part of the country would charitably describe as a "longshot".
The following 2 users liked this post by Kent1999:
JerryU (05-23-2017), Maxie2U (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:50 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Liter of cola
Cuz its the same effect as DR's and a manual trans.

Theres no diff rebuild kit out there?

DR's provide MORE traction. Someone should have said by now stiffer tires spin and that saves you from damage. Grabbing hard is what does the damage. Your problem was not the tires.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

What should the rear caster be at, so i can have it checked cuz i havnt been understanding why im like only one of the few guys thats getting so much damn wheel hop in my c7.
+.7 degrees.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Originally Posted by falconhulk
DR's provide MORE traction. Someone should have said by now stiffer tires spin and that saves you from damage. Grabbing hard is what does the damage. Your problem was not the tires.
Im under the impression that haveing a softer tire sidewall that gives is more important to to your drivetrain than the amount of grip it makes

Originally Posted by Foosh
+.7 degrees.
Thanks i'll have that checked when i get my guts sewed up.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:35 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

With all due respect sir, the mods installed on a MY2017 prior to expiration of factory warranty is a high risk proposition. GM has a stronger legal position than the owner, especially during a factory warranty period.

As someone said, "you pay to play".

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why new owners cannot wait to install engine, exhaust mods after the warranty period.
VictorBarron (05-26-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 03:53 PM
div7racer
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cost of 4 gear spiders

Whats the cost of going to a 4 spider gear setup and whats the cost?

First you have to have a differential with good side gears, if you don't a used one is $1000+ and a new one is $2000+-.Then you need to remove the whole rear end, disassemble it, purchase the parts to modify/fix the rear end and find someone who knows what and how to add the extra gears. I have explained and sent pictures to a few who were interested (one guy in Florida is doing his own as I write this)and have done a few already and am waiting for the machine shop to do some work so I can finish another one. Ed
Old 05-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,135 Likes on 2,239 Posts

You would think with modern technology wheel hop would not be a problem or break things.

The '68 Mustang used in Bullitt didn't come apart due to excessive wheel hop!

Check out the excessive wheel hop while in reverse 1:00 minute into the video.
ForceFedC5 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 04:00 PM
div7racer
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Are the C7's spider gears weaker than the old C6's? If so, you would think GM would resolve the problem by a redesign.

When the C6's first came out, people were blowing the CV joints. GM changed the design of the CV joints for the C6's and they were weaker than the old C5's. C5 axles in the C6 solved the problem.

I believe GM finally fixed the design.

As for wheel hop, the C6's also had it, but when they introduced the ZR1, they had different diameter axles(left to right) to cure the wheel hop, and they also put the larger axles into the Z06.

GM is pretty proficient about redesigning parts to reduce manufacturing costs, and ending up with weaker parts than the ones they replaced, meaning they have to go back and redesign the parts again to fix the problem they created.

The C7 spider gears are the same diameter as the C6, BUT the shaft they are on is larger, so the spider gears are weaker (the larger hole leaves less material to hold the gear together) Ed
Old 05-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Originally Posted by div7racer
First you have to have a differential with good side gears, if you don't a used one is $1000+ and a new one is $2000+-.Then you need to remove the whole rear end, disassemble it, purchase the parts to modify/fix the rear end and find someone who knows what and how to add the extra gears. I have explained and sent pictures to a few who were interested (one guy in Florida is doing his own as I write this)and have done a few already and am waiting for the machine shop to do some work so I can finish another one. Ed
If you can i'd appreciate if u could pm the details on doing this.

Also if anyone knows are the differentials the same in both m7 and A8? Can i use a diff from an A8 car?

Originally Posted by dmhines
I know the z06 uses the lower Stingray gear ratio - Not z51 / GS ... so the gears should be larger in the lower ratio. Also ... I believe the z06 uses Stronger axle shafts than Z51/GS as well ..
I see, whats the final drive ratio on the stingray and z06?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-29-2017 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:36 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
You would think with modern technology wheel hop would not be a problem or break things.

The '68 Mustang used in Bullitt didn't come apart due to excessive wheel hop!

Check out the excessive wheel hop while in reverse 1:00 minute into the video.
https://youtu.be/no7XR7s8Z7o
I saw 3 hub caps depart the Dodge during the run. At 2:53 there is a side view of the Dodge and it has hub caps on both side wheels.

How is this possible? Must be some of that "movie magic" you hear so much about!

Elmer
Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Also, I don't know the extent of it but the Bullit Mustang had been modified.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:14 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

2017 corvette grand sport m7

474 whp
-atomic intake manifold
-103mm tb
-halltech cai
-kooks 2" header and cat delete x pipe
-stock wheels and mpss run flat tires

Tried to do a burnout after doing some foolish doughnuts earlier in the day, when i dropped the clutch at about 4k rpm i heard a horrible sound followed by grinding and clanking sounds the wheels never spun and there was no clutch smoke, the revs went all the way up with the clutch engaged in 1st gear but the car didnt move. Now theres a horrble clank sound thats very loud when moving slow and turning a in sharp maneuver, driving straight and the sound still comes on but its way lower of a sound when just alowing the car to roll, try and apply power and the same clank occurs, but only under load and not as frequent as when turning sharply. Had a friend look under the car while i pulled forward and both axles are intact and they both spin under power and when letting the car roll in neutral.

I had the car towed to the closest dealer so they can tell me whats wrong with it. Im just so surprised that i blew something out in the rear end with this low of a power level, arnt all the trans, diff and rear end parts the same as the ones in the 650hp z06? I thought this car would be tougher than this. This was litterally the first time i ever did stuff like this in this car and it broke.

I'll update you guys when the dealer tells me what blew
I can't help you with your repairs, but how did you get 474 rwhp with those mods? A stock C7 GS has 460 crank hp, correct? Assuming a 12% drive train loss =405 rwhp. Are you saying that you gained 69 hp?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:19 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

anyone know for sure if the grand sport has the same strength rear end parts as the z06? Im pretty sure this is mostly the fault of the stiff run flat tires.
The run flat tires would have less traction, thus less strain on the rear end.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:28 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Im under the impression that haveing a softer tire sidewall that gives is more important to to your drivetrain than the amount of grip it makes

Thanks i'll have that checked when i get my guts sewed up.

Educate me. I searched and could not find info on this. What info are you basing your stiff sidewall theory on? A web site? Can you paste it in here?

Originally Posted by Phanni
The run flat tires would have less traction, thus less strain on the rear end.

Ha ha, yeah that's my thinking as well. Soft sidewalls are more likely to distort on hard acceleration and give you a bigger contact patch.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-29-2017 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by capecodvette
With all due respect sir, the mods installed on a MY2017 prior to expiration of factory warranty is a high risk proposition. GM has a stronger legal position than the owner, especially during a factory warranty period.

As someone said, "you pay to play".

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why new owners cannot wait to install engine, exhaust mods after the warranty period.
Some of us like the challenge of making a new car different and even more exciting. And we know that the chances are that the factory warranty won't cover drivetrain and maybe other areas, but it's a risk we decide to take.

When I was into drag racing, I purchased several new cars (and a truck - 2002 Lightning), ran them for about 5-600 miles, and then pulled the drive trains and modified the heck out of them. The worst one for finding the weak links was a Pontiac Firehawk. Broke the rear 3 times and the trans 2 times. My wife was totally on board with it. We had a dealer that did a lot of the modification work for us and at one time had 5 of our cars in their bays - and she just laughed.

As you said, when you make decisions like this you know that you're going to pay to play. And we knew it. We worked out a deal with the dealers that they'd sell us parts at cost, and we'd pay labor (at a reduced rate) for fixes. Stupid thing to do with $? Not if you know it could be that way and enjoy it. Can't take it with you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hopper12:
mschuyler (05-23-2017), smajicek (05-24-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Blew something in my rear end with only 474whp

Old 05-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Originally Posted by 449er
I can't help you with your repairs, but how did you get 474 rwhp with those mods? A stock C7 GS has 460 crank hp, correct? Assuming a 12% drive train loss =405 rwhp. Are you saying that you gained 69 hp?

Probably a generous dyno but those are the numbers i got.

Originally Posted by falconhulk
Educate me. I searched and could not find info on this. What info are you basing your stiff sidewall theory on? A web site? Can you paste it in here?
Cant tell you excactly where i heard it first but most drag race guys believe that drag radials are bad for manual cars cuz the stiffer sidwalls is a bad combo since manual cars shock the whole drivetrain more than autos. Its believed that having a stiff sidewall on a manual increases chances of driveline failures. One guy that says this a lot is alejandro flores on youtube, he works for vmp superchargers.

Last edited by Liter of cola; 05-23-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:53 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Wheel hop likely killed the diff.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Wheel hop likely killed the diff.
I agree, but it wasnt wheel hopping when it blew.

Last edited by Liter of cola; 05-23-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Blew something in my rear end with only 474whp