C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand of protective film did you use and what parts of your C7 did you cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:36 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

vetteorama. If you didn't get brake ducts wrapped do it quick. They get crushed.

also area above that the humps on the rear quarters (forward facing area). Look at my video you'll see area I'm speaking about. Two pieces one per side. Worth their weight in gold. Or just do whole quarter.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-22-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Ceramic Pro (Gold Kit) 100% Then XPEL Pro full; car (less rear hatch and butt end)... Then I did Opti GlossCoat over entire car. after a eek I added Opti Seal... I maintain Opti seal every 6 months. Xpel Pro was installed in beginning of Feb 2017. Since then 2500 miles. looks great, high rock chip area (Northern VA)./ I use plenty of Boiling water for self healing).

L1FRDOG

Last edited by L1FRDOG; 05-22-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default PPF + Ceramic

Originally Posted by joeybsyc
Why do people talk like adding "ceramic coating" is in any way similar or a substite to PPF? Ceramic coating might stop birdshit from staining your paint or make the dirt wash off easier, but it sure as heck isn't going to do anything at all against protecting from stone chips.
I don't think anyone is saying that, at least not that I noted.

You are correct that ceramics cannot provide the same level of protection against physical hazards like big rock chips. But it does protect from smaller chips and at least one brand, Feynlab, offers self healing properties like PPF. Ceramics are (slightly) more optically clear than PPF's, totally eliminate the need for wax, and make regular washing much easier. Both techniques offer advantages.

For most of us, a full-wrap in Expel or 3M is cost prohibitive and some areas are less suitable for PPF. But a quality ceramic coating *plus* PPF for the most damage prone areas will provide the best of both worlds at considerably lower cost.

Just my $0.03 (inflation, ya know).

Old 05-30-2017, 08:23 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Xpel and 100% coverage. My car is a road warrior not a dd or garage queen.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:59 AM
ralexand
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

100% Expel Ultimate and Opti-Coat Pro
Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

2016 Z06/07 with full stage 3 aero and GM front/rear GM splash guards. I did xPel on bumper, splitter, splitter side plates, mirrors, and headlights at xpel hq in San Antonio for around $650. Black electrician tape still on from dealer delivery on rear brake ducts. Original owner 2004 Z06 and these are the areas that were problematic on the C5 after 12.5 years if ownership. Is it possible I'll get a rock chip on the hood or side...sure, but not worth it to me to put on all the additional coverage. 3700 miles and sides are clean and xpel looks like the day it was applied!
Old 05-30-2017, 01:24 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Brand: I went with SunTek.

Areas: I wet partial coverage on hood and fenders, front bumper, rocker panels, and the doors below the style crease or whatever you call the crease near the bottom of the door. Headlights too. I have never been happy with film on mirrors so skipped that. (And I have never had a chip on a mirror either)

My limited experience and a few opinions:
3M: Probably improved since my first application, but the original was not especially smooth.
VentureShield: Very smooth, easy for installer, but prone to stretch marks. Had this on one car and our current truck.
Xpel: Really good, and have it on 2 cars.
SunTec: Our installers favorite. I think it's a little clearer than the Xpel we have on our other cars. Very smooth. Even though I have only partial coverage, you simply cannot see the line.

I am not one worried about seams. On a dark car (Torch Red, Grey, Orient Red so far) I have never had wax, dirt, or anything else on a trailing seam. Forward facing surfaces should be wrapped. On our white car and truck our films have been a little visible (both Xpel and Ventureshield), so a full hood might have been better. With Suntek the seam on Torch Red is simply invisible, even when standing right next to the car.

PS: Congratulations on your Z
Old 05-30-2017, 07:02 PM
teddycarnut
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default expl

Used expl love it. did the front end hood sides and mirrors for $1200 got great installer come to my house, he owns fairly new co. I Jacksonville fl. Anyone interested let me know. Just made 1000 mile trip bugs etc wipe right off and no stone marks
Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by teddycarnut
Just made 1000 mile trip bugs etc wipe right off and no stone marks
So I get my share of bugs, but I can say with my Xpel they sure as heck don't wipe right off. The do come off with a little rubbing and cleaner, but it's not a simple wipe-off.

Did your installer do any treatment over the XPel as well? What products are you using?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 PM
sl44ice
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I finally decided on a protective film which will be installed next week
when my 2017 Z06 VERT arrives at the dealer hopefully on time. The brand I used was XPEL ULTIMATE. I am wrapping theENTIRE HOOD,HEADLIGHTS, FRONT BUMPER BOTH FRONT FENDERS,MIRRORS, DOOR CUPS and ENTIRE BOTTOM ROCKERS FOM THE DOOR TO THE REAR BRAKE DUCTS including the BRAKE DUCTS. What brand of film did you guys use and what parts of your C7 did you feel NECESSARYto wrap? Thanks Dave
Pretty much exactly what you did!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:38 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

XPEL the whole car.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 PM
andy21
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

XPEL Ultimate over entire car except roof, hatch and rear. I'm happy with it and think it's completely worth it. Car has 2600 miles and looks like new.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:02 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

On my GS, I am going to try Cleartastic, on the front of the rear quarters, the brake duct & door bottom, and the door-handle coves. I put large splash-guards on the front.
The following users liked this post:
Cleartastic (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Corvetterwb
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I used Xpel on my 2017 Z06. Did the front bumper, 1/2 way up hood and fenders, headlights, mirrors, and brake ducts.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Corvette.Lady
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am so glad your sharing and asking this question because I have been trying to decide what to do with mine. I traded my 08 in last week for 2017 Stingray and my 08 had the clear bra, and mirrors done by 1st owner and after my first few minor rock hits was glad I had it although those bounced and hit further up. After awhile there was peeling on the mirrors and corners of front bumper area...just kept trimming carefully with razor. So I had been hearing about the Ceramic coating as the new protective coat? but reading here it doesn't protect totally. I wish I could afford a full wrap no seams less edges....I need a summer job to pay for all the things I want...lol
Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I finally decided on a protective film which will be installed next week
when my 2017 Z06 VERT arrives at the dealer hopefully on time. The brand I used was XPEL ULTIMATE. I am wrapping theENTIRE HOOD,HEADLIGHTS, FRONT BUMPER BOTH FRONT FENDERS,MIRRORS, DOOR CUPS and ENTIRE BOTTOM ROCKERS FOM THE DOOR TO THE REAR BRAKE DUCTS including the BRAKE DUCTS. What brand of film did you guys use and what parts of your C7 did you feel NECESSARYto wrap? Thanks Dave
Old 06-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Full front clip here, XPel Ultimate. Got a rock chip into the carbon fiber on my roof (not covered) on one road trip. On last road trip, took a golf ball sized rock on the right fender (covered), tearing through the Xpel in two places and through the paint in one of those spots. Tried some touch up but the holes in the Xpel are still obvious, so I'm faced with either removing the Xpel, trying to do a good touchup job, then paying a sizeable amount to replace the Xpel on the fender, or living with it. All I know is that for the price of my initial Xpel install, I probably could have had the bumper/fender professionally resprayed 2 or 3 times, so I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of my investment.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 PM
Corvette.Lady
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, if this is Ceramic coating I LOVE IT! Hutch...can you use ceramic over the wrap areas or do you apply it before the wrap areas to have same shine? I think I just want to do Ceramic first have been watching videos how it is applied. I think I can do this myself...Clean,
then Clay, Clean again...then apply Ceramic small sections at a time...wiping off within 5 minutes depending on temp. Although we have had record heat here in Cali...108 today.
Originally Posted by Hutch
I don't think anyone is saying that, at least not that I noted.

You are correct that ceramics cannot provide the same level of protection against physical hazards like big rock chips. But it does protect from smaller chips and at least one brand, Feynlab, offers self healing properties like PPF. Ceramics are (slightly) more optically clear than PPF's, totally eliminate the need for wax, and make regular washing much easier. Both techniques offer advantages.

For most of us, a full-wrap in Expel or 3M is cost prohibitive and some areas are less suitable for PPF. But a quality ceramic coating *plus* PPF for the most damage prone areas will provide the best of both worlds at considerably lower cost.

Just my $0.03 (inflation, ya know).

Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 PM
cambrown47
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justplainjim
The car is in the shop now having SunTek installed on the front bumper.
I had my C7 GS 2LT (Corvette Racing Yellow) totally wrapped w/ Suntek. The windows were tinted (transparent top couldn't be since it's space-age plastic) and Ceramic Pro was applied all over and esp. on the wheels/brakes, etc.
I am thrilled with the result that I let 'cure' for 2 weeks when I simply wiped down the car with a damp microfiber cloth. Of course, I wasn't thrilled with the cost, but I rationalize that the above-mentioned treatment is my protection plan for my investment in my first Vette that I'm over-the-top excited owning, driving, taking care of, parking in my garage (that's being transformed to be worthy of having a Corvette)!!

Quick Reply: What brand of protective film did you use and what parts of your C7 did you cover?