Sponsored by:

7 speed manual-1st gear engagement

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:29 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by sccaracer46
I think they want to get rid of manual transmissions, entirely!
Did you read my post where I wrote where this "issue" has been around since at least 1994 in this series of transmissions? This is nothing new, nor is it anything more than "minor", unless you really have a shifter rod that's out of alignment. Since yours didn't improve, I really doubt if another dealer is going to be make any appreciable difference.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but trying to give you some perspective.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-26-2017, 12:21 AM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Did you read my post where I wrote where this "issue" has been around since at least 1994 in this series of transmissions? This is nothing new, nor is it anything more than "minor", unless you really have a shifter rod that's out of alignment. Since yours didn't improve, I really doubt if another dealer is going to be make any appreciable difference.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but trying to give you some perspective.

Have a good one,
Mike
Thanks............I guess I will have to learn to live with it! I have driven mostly manual transmissions since 1955 and this is the first vehicle that had this issue! The technician told me to pull it down into 2nd gear and move the shifter to 1st gear to avoid the problem! Oh, well!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Exact same problem here...2015 Z. Have just lived with it but curious to see what it ends up being if you ever get it resolved.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:13 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

There are some design issues with the 1st and 2nd gear synchros in this Tremec gearbox....
Old 06-02-2017, 11:51 PM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Originally Posted by ersatz928
There are some design issues with the 1st and 2nd gear synchros in this Tremec gearbox....
I have taken my C7 to another dealer for a second opinion. The technician drove the car and said he suspected a synchro problem. However, before he can proceed, he has to obtain authorization from Chevrolet! In order to do this he says he must redo the procedure I had done at the previous dealer, a week ago, since he has to verify that it was done properly. Of course, it involves me paying AGAIN for a procedure I shouldn't have had to pay in the first place.

I have contacted Chevrolet Customer Service and they are actively pursuing resolving this issue. Hopefully, they will give authorization to the dealer to find a solution to the problem.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:36 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

!st have the dealer use the transmission oil check tabs ( they use to check fluids with oil-brake etc ) !! Does it slip out using REV Matching ??? The only time I have a problem is when I have the seat too far back and I haven't pushed the clutch pedal in far enough to shift !! Only other car I had a problem with the clutch was the throw out bearing on my 1967 GTO ( I have owned 6 other manual transmission cars ) !!!! Wayne
Old 06-03-2017, 11:13 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

MGW Shifter...anyways, then you will know for sure if it is in gear or not...

Regards
Chip

Last edited by CCA Corvette Parts; 06-03-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:26 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
This issue is not related to the clutch or the clutch fluid....it is a "balkey" 1st gear synchro or a shifter linkage adjustment issue.
That comment remind me of my visit to the BMW dealer the other day for an intermittent "check engine light" flashing on. At 25,000 miles on the wife's car told the Service Writer I thought it might be the brake fluid level being low. To check you have to remove the full width plastic leaf gill that covers access!

He very politely said it was not and mentioned his biggest problem with customers when he asks on the phone for the problem symptoms, they tell him what they think the problem is, emphatically! I just made a suggestion and was NOT emphatic!

Turned out it was the computer that was not processing the outside temp properly! Tech sent diagnostics to BMW and they had a quick answer, need new computer. Fortunately it's covered on warranty. They did the 2 year brake fluid flush and changed oil which was close to being needed. That was $1900 also on Warranty. We'll see what the "computer costs" when it arrives. Several weeks ago they changed wiper blades that was also covered on Warranty (3 allowed per year.)

Have had a new drivers side airbag and a new $900 battery all on a recall and paid for on warranty. Actually the car has run perfectly other than this intermittent check engine light!

If it needs brakes in the 4 years that are covered they are also replaced free on Warranty.

Sure we paid for it in the price of the car! At the end of 4 years we'll buy a new X5. Cheaper than repair costs!

That said, your comment may be correct and if the OP has had the clutch fluid changed, then it's probably a none issue. If not, I'd sure have that done before following your advice! Many posts on erratic clutch performance due to dirty fluid. Depends when a dirt particle gets in one of the small passengers!

Reminds me of what I always joke (with some truth) about; the 4+ open heat surgery teams we have in two large competing hospitals in town! If you get indigestion while passing through on I95 or are in Myrtle Beach some 60 miles away, they will bring you to one of those teams who are prepared and you'll have a 4 way bypass in a few hours! Perhaps better to take an antacid first!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-03-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:49 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
When I first got my 2014, I had a little trouble feeling when it was fully engaged, but once I changed to aftermarket shifter, there is no uncertainty anymore.
I have a Core Shifters modified Hurst shifter (Hurst components, not billet shifter) which seems to be the perfect combination of short throw and minimaaal shift effort in higher gears.
It definitely feels like two detents, and clicks twice when going into gear.

If it actually pops out of gear, as pointed out already, it never hurts to make sure the shifter is aligned correctly... There is actually a service bulletin on some that were not from the factory.
I also have Core Hurst in my C7.You an actually feel the click going from 1 gear to the other.I noticed it right away the 1st time I drove it.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:27 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

The shifter alignment is not that involved if it is similar to the C5, C6. Once I became familiar with it I figured out that removal of the console was not really necessary and I could do the job in 30-60minutes. I probably did it every month or two and it did make a difference.

The clutch fluid should be done periodically anyway, and it might help.

Lastly, the transmission lube should be changed periodically.

The shifter alignment procedure is probably in the service manual, and if you don't have that, look in You Tube.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:59 PM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevebz06
The shifter alignment is not that involved if it is similar to the C5, C6. Once I became familiar with it I figured out that removal of the console was not really necessary and I could do the job in 30-60minutes. I probably did it every month or two and it did make a difference.

The clutch fluid should be done periodically anyway, and it might help.

Lastly, the transmission lube should be changed periodically.

The shifter alignment procedure is probably in the service manual, and if you don't have that, look in You Tube.
Finally, got the second dealer to re-perform the Bulletin #P22376D and it solved the problem! It not drops into 1st gear easily and the shifts to the other gears require less effort than before! The tech at the second dealership said that the linkage adjustment was very critical to allow easy engagement. I had to pay the second dealer to perform the adjustment as it appeared the first adjustment was not precise enough. I went back to the original dealer and they are agreeing to refund the fee for their improper adjustment! I feel much better, but still think I should not have had to pay for this as it is a known defect from the factory.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:08 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Finally, got the second dealer to re-perform the Bulletin #P22376D and it solved the problem! It not drops into 1st gear easily and the shifts to the other gears require less effort than before! The tech at the second dealership said that the linkage adjustment was very critical to allow easy engagement. I had to pay the second dealer to perform the adjustment as it appeared the first adjustment was not precise enough. I went back to the original dealer and they are agreeing to refund the fee for their improper adjustment! I feel much better, but still think I should not have had to pay for this as it is a known defect from the factory.
If you look at the alignment procedure, you could have easily done it. The hardest part is getting the console and wiring out of the way.

Get this shifter and you will be even more amazed.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Wellcraft
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
That comment remind me of my visit to the BMW dealer the other day for an intermittent "check engine light" flashing on. At 25,000 miles on the wife's car told the Service Writer I thought it might be the brake fluid level being low. To check you have to remove the full width plastic leaf gill that covers access!

He very politely said it was not and mentioned his biggest problem with customers when he asks on the phone for the problem symptoms, they tell him what they think the problem is, emphatically! I just made a suggestion and was NOT emphatic!

Turned out it was the computer that was not processing the outside temp properly! Tech sent diagnostics to BMW and they had a quick answer, need new computer. Fortunately it's covered on warranty. They did the 2 year brake fluid flush and changed oil which was close to being needed. That was $1900 also on Warranty. We'll see what the "computer costs" when it arrives. Several weeks ago they changed wiper blades that was also covered on Warranty (3 allowed per year.)

Have had a new drivers side airbag and a new $900 battery all on a recall and paid for on warranty. Actually the car has run perfectly other than this intermittent check engine light!

If it needs brakes in the 4 years that are covered they are also replaced free on Warranty.

Sure we paid for it in the price of the car! At the end of 4 years we'll buy a new X5. Cheaper than repair costs!

That said, your comment may be correct and if the OP has had the clutch fluid changed, then it's probably a none issue. If not, I'd sure have that done before following your advice! Many posts on erratic clutch performance due to dirty fluid. Depends when a dirt particle gets in one of the small passengers!

Reminds me of what I always joke (with some truth) about; the 4+ open heat surgery teams we have in two large competing hospitals in town! If you get indigestion while passing through on I95 or are in Myrtle Beach some 60 miles away, they will bring you to one of those teams who are prepared and you'll have a 4 way bypass in a few hours! Perhaps better to take an antacid first!
What kind of battery is BMW using that cost 900 bucks? I was looking at a 2016 428I but will pass if the battery costs almost a grand to replace.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 PM
RaceMic
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

I had this problem intermittently on my 2007 MN6 C6. I could be quite startling when it jumped out of gear, but I always thought it was just operator error and that I hadn't engaged the shift lever in far enough. Then at around 185K miles, I lost 5th and 6th gears which resulted in a nice $5K replacement of the transmission. My work and love life caused me to do ALOT of long distance commuting, and I am pretty sure that using overdrive all the time caused my high gear bushings to fail, and for a short time I was driving a 4 speed C6! I have not experienced this issue on my 2017 GS, but I only have 2K on it at this time. Who knows?
Old 06-15-2017, 07:19 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellcraft
What kind of battery is BMW using that cost 900 bucks? I was looking at a 2016 428I but will pass if the battery costs almost a grand to replace.
It is a large AGM but I checked and could buy a matching capacity battery for about $400! BMW has high mark-ups but everything is free for 4 years, windshield wipers, all filters, all Service, even brake pads (if needed.)

As I said I'll buy a new one at the end of the 4 years, it's cheaper!

We have a large SUV, would not worry about the battery cost when buying a BMW you can get ones that fit cheaper. But other OEM parts are high as are Porsche etc. they do give a great warranty, granted it't in the price. My battery was operating fine, they changed it for their own reasons having to to with their semi regenerative braking.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-15-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:26 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceMic
Then at around 185K miles, I lost 5th and 6th gears which resulted in a nice $5K replacement of the transmission. My work and love life caused me to do ALOT of long distance commuting, and I am pretty sure that using overdrive all the time caused my high gear bushings to fail, and for a short time I was driving a 4 speed C6!
I had the same thing happen to me with my '94 Z-28 at around the same mileage (175K in mine, IIRC). I attributed that to the 1st 90k miles with the dreaded 4th gen steel "vibe" shaft, before I changed over to the LS1-specific aluminum driveshaft.

I opened up the tranny and found that the splines on the 5/6 shaft were completely fretted away.

Currently my C5 has 280K+ miles on her, no problems with the transmission at all (other than the typical 1st gear engagement issues that's the original topic of this thread).

So, it happens, but doesn't seem to be related to shifting into 1st.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-15-2017, 04:16 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellcraft
AGM batteries are typically more expensive than "regular" lead acid.

Also BMW tends to use odd sizes for batteries, lowering reusability and therefore driving cost up.

Get notified of new replies

To 7 speed manual-1st gear engagement

Old 07-10-2017, 11:16 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I have the 1st gear shift engagement problem on my 2018 Z. So I will see if the dealer knows what to do. Actually I might do it myself now that I have seen the TSB.

Last edited by djnice; 07-10-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 PM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Well, the saga continues! A few days after I posted that the problem had been resolved, I started to experience some resistance again on various occasions.
I had heard that some had gained results by installing the MGW shifter, so I decided to go that route! Again, more improvement, but still the occasional "extra hard push" to get it to fully engage.

I saw that some had luck with using Redline D4 ATF Synthetic fluid, so I took it to the dealer and asked them to change the fluid for me.

That's when they told me that if I used anything other than GM Dexos fluid, it would void my warranty! They, like the first dealer, said there is nothing further they can do! Obviously, warranties are not what they used to be!

Bottom line, I told them to use the Redline D4 ATF, warranty, be damned! So, the transmission is MUCH better, but on occasion I have to push a little harder than usual to get the gear fully engaged.

Although I would have liked to have completely resolved the issue, but it is so much better than before I started making attempts to fix.

The best part of the exercise was installing the new MGW Flat Stick Shifter and it is as advertised! Excellent product and the DIY Videos were the best! Also, the Redline D4 ATF added to the smoothness of the shifts. At least I am enjoying my C7, again!
Old 03-23-2018, 01:28 PM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Well, the saga continues! A few days after I posted that the problem had been resolved, I started to experience some resistance again on various occasions.
I had heard that some had gained results by installing the MGW shifter, so I decided to go that route! Again, more improvement, but still the occasional "extra hard push" to get it to fully engage.

I saw that some had luck with using Redline D4 ATF Synthetic fluid, so I took it to the dealer and asked them to change the fluid for me.

That's when they told me that if I used anything other than GM Dexos fluid, it would void my warranty! They, like the first dealer, said there is nothing further they can do! Obviously, warranties are not what they used to be!

Bottom line, I told them to use the Redline D4 ATF, warranty, be damned! So, the transmission is MUCH better, but on occasion I have to push a little harder than usual to get the gear fully engaged.

Although I would have liked to have completely resolved the issue, but it is so much better than before I started making attempts to fix.

The best part of the exercise was installing the new MGW Flat Stick Shifter and it is as advertised! Excellent product and the DIY Videos were the best! Also, the Redline D4 ATF added to the smoothness of the shifts. At least I am enjoying my C7, again!
Eight months after replacing the transmission fluid with Red Line D4 Synthetic ATF , the long term results are EXCELLENT! Last July, shortly after I changed the fluid, I indicated I still had still experienced more pressure required to engage 1st gear, occasionally. However, after a few more weeks, that was no longer the case! It is extremely smooth with no hint of reluctance to engage! I would say, the Transmission fluid was the primary reason for the problem. However, the MGW shifter was not a disappointment! I love it!
The following 4 users liked this post by sccaracer46:
djnice (03-23-2018), Queasyrider (04-08-2018), SilverBulletZ (09-13-2019), SomTum (02-07-2022)

Quick Reply: 7 speed manual-1st gear engagement