Sponsored by:

New Callaway Paint Problems."Saga Continues"

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:55 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts
Default New Callaway Paint Problems."Saga Continues"

Well here I am again. More stories. After the hood was painted I thought all the paint problems were over and I was home free. But not just yet.. I started to notice paint coming off the corner of the supercharger cover. Of course this is very noticeable because the supercharger sticks out from inside of the hood. We didn't notice this when we picked the Vette up so it must of started happening around the time the hood was pained and took awhile to be noticeable. We also noticed a large scratch at the bottom of the cover that may have been unnoticed at first because iit was hidden under the hood on passenger side. There mechanic put some dressing on top of the cover. It darkened it and look a little better. But when the supercharger got hot it burned off and didn't help at all. Now once again the Dealer is trying to figure out how we can fix "this". I would just want to have the cover replaced. It looks like it comes straight off with several surface bolts. It looks easy but don't know what would be involved in doing so. I would think this cover is Powder Coated so the color should be baked in, permanent and be able to withstand the high temperatures of the unit. I never had any problems with my previous Callaway Supercharger. So My salesman photographed it and is sending the photos of the damage to Callaway. He said Callaway is very careful about sending out any defective equipment so this is not normal. Currently waiting to here from them.

So let's move on to the $3000 Ground Effects package I ordered.
I'm having problems with the front splitter. It's so low It gets damaged from scraping the ground all the time. Either Chevy made it too low or my area has to many dips in the drive ways. From being scraped the carbon fiber is delaminating and coming off in strips. It'll cost at least $350 to partially fix it. I can't be driving and continue scraping and damaging it all the time. So I'm just having them take it off and replacing it with a cheaper smaller one that's not painted, is not as low and is flexible. Now I know why they call it a splitter because it
splits appart when you drive with it.

Just when you think nothing could get worst somebody backs into the front of my corvette while It was parked last Sunday. They put multiple gouges in the front bumper. Don't know who it was. Could of been the car in front of me but it didn't have any paint on the bumper. No one saw it so can't prove anything. It's costing me $850. to repair. Real Bummer. I think I'm going to ask them for my old Callaway back and call it a day. LOL.Just kidding. Dropped Vette of at Dealer today for repairs etc.ect. I'll keep everyone up to date.

Last edited by Bondojohn; 05-23-2017 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-23-2017, 11:20 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

solution to your front spoiler hitting would be just raise front of car some by turning the bolts clockwise equally on each side and or be more careful

callaway has a very good repitation from what i see
Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

John,
Sorry to hear you have had this issue. As I understand, your dealer will take care of this, but it's not an issue we've seen on any other car, including yours, before the car went for the paint fixes, including painting the hood.

The supercharger does not have a "lid" held by bolts. It's the whole supercharger unit. Just wanted to clarify. Thank you again.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:44 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

I have a very very deep driveway. Even when I enter at a severe angle it still scrapes. I live in a urban Midwest with allot of heaving of concrete,asphalt and earth creating allot of drastic angles. I drive all year long. It's just something I don't want to worry about. Plus splitter is just about destroyed. Dealer had other vettes in there with busted splitters. Just not worth the worry.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:51 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Yeah o.p. in a perfect world the stages 2 and 3 look great but where I live it would be white knuckle driving everywhere. You have to live in a very nice area where the roads are maintained and even the driveways are integrated properly where the angles are considered as well.

raising the car more? So keep the splitter and the car looks even more like a 4x4 them stock? I wouldn't do it. I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a kit that lifts the front end up like on so many sports cars today.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:00 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
John,
Sorry to hear you have had this issue. As I understand, your dealer will take care of this, but it's not an issue we've seen on any other car, including yours, before the car went for the paint fixes, including painting the hood.
supercharger does not have a "lid" held by bolts. It's the whole supercharger unit. Just wanted to clarify. Thank you again.
Oh I didn't know this. So the top with all the bolts is not just a cover that can just be replaced but part of the whole supercharger. Hope they'll be able to repaint it so it stands up. I'm at a quandary trying to figure out how the color came out of the paint. Maybe someone used some harsh chemical by mistake to clean it. With your guidance hope they'll do a good repair job. But they haven't failed me yet. Thanks for quick response. Have a good evening. Surprised your up this late. Go to bed!!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:44 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

At my exspence I had the Dealer change my front splitter with a cheap smaller one because I couldn't drive it without the original one falling apart from scraping the ground all the time. They've repaired the front end damage from the accident. $850. They wanted me to pick up my vette but I told the "new" body shop mgr, I wasn't going to pick it up until they fixed the paint comeing off the top of the supercharger. That cover looked fine with the initial inspection but after we picked it up I started noticing the pain coming off. It still hasn't been fixed because there trying figure how to do it. This has been a very trying time for me causing allot of anxiety with all these problems. I payed allot of hard earned money for this car. Since day one I've had multiple problems . Sometimes I wish I had never bought it. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to pick it up without these problems and be a happy driver.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
At my exspence I had the Dealer change my front splitter with a cheap smaller one because I couldn't drive it without the original one falling apart from scraping the ground all the time. They've repaired the front end damage from the accident. $850. They wanted me to pick up my vette but I told the "new" body shop mgr, I wasn't going to pick it up until they fixed the paint comeing off the top of the supercharger. That cover looked fine with the initial inspection but after we picked it up I started noticing the pain coming off. It still hasn't been fixed because there trying figure how to do it. This has been a very trying time for me causing allot of anxiety with all these problems. I payed allot of hard earned money for this car. Since day one I've had multiple problems . Sometimes I wish I had never bought it. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to pick it up without these problems and be a happy driver.
"Maybe somebody could cheer me up with a good Corvette story"
Old 05-29-2017, 02:56 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

"Maybe somebody could cheer me up with a good Corvette story"
How about a humorous observation instead... Maybe you should change your user name since having Bondo as part of it might make your car a lightning rod for damage

Hopefully this all gets resolved in a happy way for you soon
Old 05-29-2017, 03:35 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

As Chris said, no lid on the charger
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by NSC5
How about a humorous observation instead... Maybe you should change your user name since having Bondo as part of it might make your car a lightning rod for damage

Hopefully this all gets resolved in a happy way for you soon
How I got to be known as Bando John. My father had a used car lot in Chicago and he sold mostly old cars in poor condition. In repairing and doing bodywork I used a lot of Bondo repair filler. Thus all my friends started calling me Bondo John. My license plate is BNDOJON. If I change my nick name I think I'd disappoint most of my friends and they might start calling me something worse. But thanks for the sugestion.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:56 PM
superramvette2
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 59 Posts

Is it just me or does it appear some divine force is telling you not to own this corvette? By the way, I have a Callaway that is still problem free a year after the warranty. I love the car.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:03 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

I see now there is no cover even though it looks like there's one when it's on the car. Does anyone know how it was originally painted. Could it of been powder coated. Chris at Callaway told me it only gets around 200 degrees. So high heat shouldn't be too much of a factor in deciding how to repair. Yes I'm kind of bummed out now but I need to think positive and look ahead about the good times I'll have driving what I believe is the best sports car ever made!!! Thanks for the Photo..
Old 05-30-2017, 11:13 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

I see now there is no cover even though it looks like there's one when it's on the car. Does anyone know how it was originally painted. Could it of been powder coated. Chris at Callaway told me it only gets around 200 degrees. So high heat shouldn't be too much of a factor in deciding how to repair. Yes I'm kind of bummed out now but I need to think positive and look ahead about the good times I'll have driving what I believe is the best sports car ever made!!! Thanks for the Photo..
I had a 2015 that I traded in with no problems. Maybe the car is possessed. Maybe I need an exorcism instead of a mechanic.

Get notified of new replies

To New Callaway Paint Problems."Saga Continues"

Quick Reply: New Callaway Paint Problems."Saga Continues"