Sponsored by:

Front license plate laws

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteC7
The ZL1addons front plate mount is the way to go imho. It uses the front tow hook mount and thus doesn't touch any part of the car. I got it with the tow hook option which makes it easy to swap out for track days.

You could go without but then you give law enforcement the ability to pull you over at anytime,
This is what i do. I keep the plate mounted to the ZL1 plate mount and keep it in the car. If I get pulled over, I just say I forgot to put it back on after <insert reason here>. Haven't had to explain it in 13 years in NY/NJ though, LEOs don't seem to care.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Missouri is a two plate state and while I wish they would drop the front plate requirement, I comply with the law and run the front plate. It's just not worth the potential hassle of being pulled over for not having the plate on the car.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:51 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I would highly recommend that no one try the line in bold on an LEO. Insulting an LEO's intelligence like that would almost guarantee a citation.

A front plate mounting device must be provided with every new car sold in the US, although not necessarily installed at time of sale.
There is a legal loophole here, in some states, so his comment is not off base.

I think Nevada and a few other "front plate" states specifically have laws that state if there is "no provision for the plate then it is no required" due to the trading of cars between states it is possible you didn't get the front plate bracket (my Michigan car doesn't have it), therefore you can reasonably argue that your car is not provisioned to have a front plate.

But this ONLY works in states which have such a law on the books.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:55 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Worst case scenario, a fix it tix. Roll the dice
Its no longer a fix it ticket. $200 fine. DPS is on a rampage about the front plates because they spent big bucks on the plate scanners in the trooper cars. Scans every plate of oncoming cars as they drive down the road.

After being given 2 warnings (which they record by the way) I installed a front plate with a great TopFlight bracket that requires no drilling and does not block air flow to intercooler.

The following users liked this post:
AttyVette (12-11-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 01:02 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Its no longer a fix it ticket. $200 fine. DPS is on a rampage about the front plates because they spent big bucks on the plate scanners in the trooper cars. Scans every plate of oncoming cars as they drive down the road.

After being given 2 warnings (which they record by the way) I installed a front plate with a great TopFlight bracket that requires no drilling and does not block air flow to intercooler.

I agree that some local police may not enforce the law, but State Troupers do.
Not worth the stress to me.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 05-24-2017 at 01:02 PM.
AttyVette (12-11-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
There is a legal loophole here, in some states, so his comment is not off base.

I think Nevada and a few other "front plate" states specifically have laws that state if there is "no provision for the plate then it is no required" due to the trading of cars between states it is possible you didn't get the front plate bracket (my Michigan car doesn't have it), therefore you can reasonably argue that your car is not provisioned to have a front plate.

But this ONLY works in states which have such a law on the books.
Maybe, but you'll never win that fight on the side of the road. Anyone who enjoys filing paperwork, and spending a good chunk of the day hanging out at the courthouse should knock themselves out.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:47 PM
DAAANG
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne

Why are they scanning everyones plates? What does this get them? I agree DPS seems to be the only ones that really care, but I thought they just use it as an excuse to pull you over so they can see in the car.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Assuming you're paying attention to what's going on the world today, cameras and scanners are everywhere, and the ability to locate bad guys quickly and collect intell is becoming increasingly critical.

Think about scenarios where a suspected terrorist, child-abductor, murderer, etc. is reported driving a vehicle and they have a plate number. The scanners mounted on highways and LEO vehicles can be set to auto-alert a suspect's location when it gets a hit on a specific plate number.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-24-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

I put the front plate on my car because I don't want to get pulled over and then being told I also have to remove my illegal $400 tint job.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:15 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

I would highly recommend that no one try the line in bold on an LEO. Insulting an LEO's intelligence like that would almost guarantee a citation.

A front plate mounting device must be provided with every new car sold in the US, although not necessarily installed at time of sale.
I agree. Insulting any officer who pulls you over is not the path to being let off with a warning!

Here in California we are required to have a front plate. When I bought my GS, the stealership made me sign a form acknowledging that I was aware of that fact, and they were providing, but not going to install the front plate holder for me. In other words, it's the buyer/owner's responsibility and they were covering their A.

That having been said, I've owned two Corvettes now since January of 2010 and have never installed a front plate. On the days I drive my Vette to work, I literally go right past the police station and have never been stopped.

I respect LEO and am a law abiding citizen... except for this one thing! If I were pulled over for this reason, I'd just accept my punishment. Although, I truly hope the police here in the SF bay area have, as the old saying goes, better things to do with their time than run down scofflaws.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:33 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Heck, just move to Kansas. We've got more wind, more tumbleweeds, more tornadoes . . . . . oh, and no front plate requirement. Wooohoooo.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:36 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

My local Caddy dealer did the same thing with front license brackets for my CTS/ATS coupes. Chevy dealer likewise on a Z28 Camaro we bought a few years ago and on all the Corvettes I've owned. Some owners just want to take their chances and they inform you up front that it's your choice.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:10 PM
dataporter
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Here in Merced, California, they have the parking meter maids issue the no front license plate tickets. The meter maids cruise all the streets where people park even where there are no parking restrictions. They cruise the mall parking lot too and issue them there. The first ticket is $186 but the first one can be reduced to $10 if you get it signed off by a LEO that you have installed the plate. They inform you that they have a database and the second and subsequent tickets are $186 each. I'm sure this pays the meter maid's salary and more... The LEO that signed mine off said it looks ugly and said he wouldn't leave it on if it was his car...
Old 05-24-2017, 06:17 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I was pulled over in Stephenville and given a written warning by DPS so a second stop will cost $200.Not worth the hassle or expense.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:41 PM
MrVetteAddiction
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

I was just pulled over for thisc3 weeks ago on my way to Circuits of The Americas for the races. Just north of Austin. DPS asked why I did not have the plate and I was honest and said I just don't like the way it looks on the front. He just issued me a warning and asked if I was going to the races. i figured no sense lying.
twowinns (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:50 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Front plate whining is one of the #1 car forum topics. However, I think events are moving toward the requirement becoming even more strictly enforced, and states with no current requirement adding them.

License plate scanners will become an increasingly more powerful LE tool in an increasing crazy world. License plates are no longer just about traffic law enforcement.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-25-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:55 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

It's ridiculous to have two plate, and one plate states under the same roof (USA). Especially considering the number of states that do or do not require the front tag. It's not like we stay in one state all the time.
How does the LEO, who been writing citations for not having a front tags, feel when he pulls someone over from a single tag state. Is he already biased.

This thread got me curious as to which states require the extra plate, so I found this:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/1...icense-plates/

Next time I decide to go on a long cruise, it'll be nice to know which states I need to knock my cruise control down a couple of digits.

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate laws

Old 05-25-2017, 06:13 AM
Chazzmania
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Hawaii requires a front plate as well. I have been rolling the dice and knocking on wood that I don't get pulled over. A lot of people here on island put the plate in the dash. I might install the front plate when I get my custom tag.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:13 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Front plate whining is one of the #1 car forum topics. However, I think events are moving toward the requirement becoming even more strictly enforced, and states with no current requirement adding them.

License plate scanners will become an increasingly more powerful LE tool in an increasing crazy world. License plates are no longer just about traffic law enforcement.
Some states will never add them.

Michigan used to have them, we got rid of them in the 80's. I think Mass and Conn are the only states to have them, get rid of them, and now have them again.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Maybe, but you'll never win that fight on the side of the road. Anyone who enjoys filing paperwork, and spending a good chunk of the day hanging out at the courthouse should knock themselves out.

Quick Reply: Front license plate laws